Oriental Adventures: Remember Kara-Tur?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know that in 1987 Kara-Tur was relocated to Forgotten Realms, BUT, there's so much more that could be done with East Asian culture in D&D. The settings for D&D have typically been Western, which is cool, but wouldn't it be cooler to incorporate more possibilities into our fantasies? I call for a new set of Monsters, Weapons, Races, Traits, Feats, and Spells and Magical Items inspired by the East. Who wouldn't want to try to play something akin to a Halfling Ninja or an Elven Samurai or a Drow Miko (a Japanese female shaman). Chinese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese works of classical literature are being translated at an incredible rate. We are discovering new ideas for monsters and spells from these ancient texts. I feel this is an area that has not been utilized to its fullest potential. 

Perhaps I am biased a bit. I am a PhD student of Comparative Literature that studies literature of the East. Heck, I'll write it up if enough of you want such a thing.

=)
Andy G 
I have the Kara Tur boxed set;).

Fear is the Mind Killer

I'm not often Jealous of Zardnaar, but when I am I admit it. I think that's pretty cool. Sealed
Picked it up at a book sale for $15 and inside it had OA 2,3,4 as well from 1st ed. The adventures are in near mint condition and the boxed set is in great condition.

Funny thing is I don't even like OA that much but the wife got it for me as it had D&D on it and she thought I may like it. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

I've been thinking about trying to do an 4E OGL 'oriental adventures' // kara-tur setting in 2 sorts of 'books' - 1 for the race/class/gear/religion crunch (possibly incl an 'honour' mechanic) and general setting with hooks / ideas. Another with all the different types of 'asian' monster (ki-ri, hopping vampire, gaki, etc) in a hooks style - like the monser vault - so each entry has some hooks there too.
It'd be a bit of work but might be fun/maddening/profitable if you're interested.

www.4eDM.org - A 4th Edition D&D Resource Site 

I have the original.  I bought it new when it first came out.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

I was lucky enough to have the chance to peruse a copy of this fabled box set back in the early 90s. I only skimmed the material and looked at the maps, but it was hard enough to get--even then. I always wanted to get into OA, but I lack the cultural reference. I fear that one would have to be like the original poster and be a student of East Asian literature to fully be able to appreciate and create adventures set in Kara-Tur. I suppose it'd be easier, nowadays, what with the exponentially larger amount of Asian cinema reaching our shores (Netflix is lousy with them). Maybe in the next edition they'll make an effort.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

src="http://www.wizards.com/dnd/monster/images/banners/13.jpg"/>
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

leafless wrote:
I know that in 1987 Kara-Tur was relocated to Forgotten Realms, BUT, there's so much more that could be done with East Asian culture in D&D. The settings for D&D have typically been Western, which is cool, but wouldn't it be cooler to incorporate more possibilities into our fantasies? I call for a new set of Monsters, Weapons, Races, Traits, Feats, and Spells and Magical Items inspired by the East. Who wouldn't want to try to play something akin to a Halfling Ninja or an Elven Samurai or a Drow Miko (a Japanese female shaman). Chinese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese works of classical literature are being translated at an incredible rate. We are discovering new ideas for monsters and spells from these ancient texts. I feel this is an area that has not been utilized to its fullest potential. 

Perhaps I am biased a bit. I am a PhD student of Comparative Literature that studies literature of the East. Heck, I'll write it up if enough of you want such a thing.

=)
Andy G 

YES PLEASE! Make this happen!

One of the things I LOVE about the FR is the way it more or less simulates a fantasy version of Earth (I know a lot of people don't like this but I do).  I have longed to see more support of settings like Kara-Tur and Maztica.

Kara-Tur has got a great potential to be a hook for get new fans from lovers of wuxia and otaku fiction. I would bet the videogame company "Perfect World" would love a oriental version of "Newerwinter Online" in the Kara-Tur. 

OA need the classic oriental classes: Samurai, Ninja, Wu-Jen (mixture of shaman, exorcist and wizard), Sohei, Kensai (=sacred sword)... I refer to classes, 20 levels, nor only subclasses. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Einlanzer wrote:

One of the things I LOVE about the FR is the way it more or less simulates a fantasy version of Earth (I know a lot of people don't like this but I do).  I have longed to see more support of settings like Kara-Tur and Maztica.

Yep, and Al-Qadim (one of my all time favourite campaign settings).  They could also expand on Katashaka.

Sign In to post comments