Unconsciousness

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi everybody, 

I was wondering if being unconscious necessarily meant to be at 0 hit points. I was using a drow NPC that had poisoned weapons (as shown in the Monster Manual), and a PC was hit by one of them. He failed both saving throws and fell unsconscious, but had 50 hit points when this happened. We weren't sure, but we played it out as if he retained his current hit points instead of dropping automatically to 0, though he still had to be healed before becoming conscious. Did we do it right?

Maybe we did it wrong, but that would mean drow poison is really powerful, and could unbalance the game if a PC got his hands on it, which actually happened after the players defeated said drow. As a DM, I know I could always make limitations when it comes to finding or buying this kind of poison, but I just wanted to be sure before doing this.

Thanks in advance,

Dirole

Unconscious is a condition entirely separate from hit points - it just happens to be *applied* to most PCs when they drop to 0HP.

You didn't handle it right, I'm afraid.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

When you are sleeping you are unconcious.  But not at 0 HP.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Being Unconscious has no effect on your hit points.  Going to 0 hit points, however, will make you Unconscious.  Two different things.

Unconscious means:

The creature is helpless (Helpless is a particular condition with its own rules).
     The creature can’t take actions (not even free actions, but can do things that are "No Action".)
     The creature takes a -5 penalty to all defenses.
     The creature is unaware of its surroundings.
     The creature falls prone, if possible.
     The creature can’t flank.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

thespaceinvader wrote:

Unconscious is a condition entirely separate from hit points - it just happens to be *applied* to most PCs when they drop to 0HP.

You didn't handle it right, I'm afraid.

They actually did handle the HP correctly, based on his post. The character remained at 50 HP which is correct. 

What was incorrect is that the character would not have to be healed to be made conscious again, and in fact, as Drow Poison is written, healing would increase his HP but would not effect his consciousness at all.  A character that fails two saving throws against Drow poison is unconscious until the end of the encounter.  There are some utility powers that may allow the character to take some actions for a round, such as Maiden's Waking, but that's it.

mellored wrote:

When you are sleeping you are unconcious.  But not at 0 HP.

Important clarification here, which is spelled out in the RC but I don't have it handy to reference the page number - the unconsious condition and the unconsciousness of natural sleep have similar side effects, but if you're naturally sleeping, you can be awoken by normal means.  If you're made unconscious by an effect, it lasts as long as the effect says it does, and taking damage or someone trying to awaken you will have no effect.

As an aside about Drow Poison, note that failed saving throw effects only occur when failing saves at the end of your turn, and never when failing saving throws granted by other powers (such as by a leader's utility or healing power, an item, or a feat that grants a save at the start of a turn).