Does this bode ill for the upcoming D&D film?

66 posts / 0 new
Last post

If you have to resort to making offensive comments instead of making logical arguments, you deserve to be ignored.

It's impossible to tell without seeing the actual contracts.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Honestly I'd prefer them focusing on campaign settings and novels to get movies from. A "Dungeons and Dragons" movie is a bit silly, to me. It's just general fantasy with a name tacked on.

And all of the movies have been bad. In my opinion. So, let's get on a Drizzt movie or serial series.

Role Play Craft : Crafting Ideas, Modules, and Options for your Role Playing Game.

CelticPaladin wrote:

Honestly I'd prefer them focusing on campaign settings and novels to get movies from. A "Dungeons and Dragons" movie is a bit silly, to me. It's just general fantasy with a name tacked on.

And all of the movies have been bad. In my opinion. So, let's get on a Drizzt movie or serial series.

I agree.  I also wonder if the verbiage of the contract allows for Hasbro to license an "Eberron" film without expressly calling it a D&D film.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

I doubt Sweatpea has the resources for a prolonged legal battle. I don't see Hasbro losing. This just delays the movie.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

The_Jester wrote:
I doubt Sweatpea has the resources for a prolonged legal battle. I don't see Hasbro losing. This just delays the movie.

Not to mention that Sweetpea's legal council made themself look less professional by using the "writing a check they can't cash" cliche in the counterclaim.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

This also show how bad hasbro has handled the dnd licsense in the first place. The dnd movies are all bad not just the live action but the animated dragonlance one was terrible also. Maybe if they stopped letting hacks and budget companys use the dnd ip and actually let some let some talented people make some movies and a tv series, we might see the brand grow(as opposed to the running joke it is to nonplayers).

These new forums are terrible.

I misspell words on purpose too draw out grammer nazis.

To be fair to Hasbro, they didn't exactly have much power to stop or influence those movies. TSR sold the rights back in 1994. Sweetpea was built off of those rights, fair and square. Sure, they made terrible movies, but that was within their rights. Hasbro is playing hardball and taking advantage of the fact that no theaters were willing to sell tickets for the second movie. As a consequence they're trying to get a judge to rule that the second movie was therefore technically a TV production. By changing "Wrath of the Dragon God" into a TV movie, Sweetpea's rights for the movie will have retroactively expired in 2008, so their renewal of the rights with Warner Bros movie will be anulled. All so that the movie rights return to whoever holds the rights of the D&D table-top game: Hasbro.

I hope Hasbro & Sweetpea can fight it out for decades.

That way, no matter who eventually wins, we'll all have been spared more awefull movies sporting the D&D logo for a good long while.

Meanwhile?  I'm sure plenty of decent or better fantasy movies will have come & gone....

Better bad agreement that good setence. 

Maybe Hasbro could offer other IP for movie, for example a settin from d20 Future (Star*Drive or Star*Frontier). 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

CelticPaladin wrote:
 So, let's get on a Drizzt movie or serial series.

Cause that wouldn't be terrible, or anything...

Lord, I hope they succeed in reclaiming the IP.  Then I hope they pass it on to someone DECENT at making films.  Just look at the resurgence of popularity in superheroes since Spider-Man, in fantasy since Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings - a good movie can revitalise a genre.  I long for a good D&D movie.  I'm not sure entirely what that looks like, but I know I haven't seen it yet.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

First of all - allow me to assure you that I am a long in the tooth grognard (hopefuly with none of the negative aspects of such) and love fantasy RP, so much so in fact I would have gone back in time to destroy the paper MMO 4th Edition turned out to be, and the decisions responsible for numbers bloat in previous editions... however...

I guess this is my way of saying I love the hobby and feel justified and qualified in pointing out its persistent flaws with regarrds to this debate, and of course to ask you not to judge me as a hater of some kind.

Because I am going to be blunt...

The D&D movies HAVE indeed been embarassing to watch. But then the kind of drama that gets played out in Game of Thrones and isn't in any of the movies, is also rarely done so at the gaming table.

The movies were therefore, and to a significant degree, products of their source, albeit far too cheaply or cheesily done even for that!

Moreover, the various novels, of which a certain Drow renegade figure highly can be very pulpy too. However, I like Driz', and think if well adapted, it could make a great saga. Ensure Drow society doesn't look like a cheesy goth vamp convention and you would be off to a good start. There is plenty of angst, horror and despotic despair to focus on with the Drow - no need to make them look like a nasty version of the Adams Family as artwork so often seems to focus on.

What the IP desperately needs is a well acted, character driven story with real human interest, into which all the glories of the genre can be shown off as something other than a version of a nerdy gaming niche.

The hobby needs to throw off this persistent image. I run a game where the particpants are a smallhold farmer, a retired ex-special forces soldier, a database administrator, a theatre actor and I am an environmentalist who works for the government. Our ages range from mid twenties to mid forties and we have all grown up with RP - one or two of us from when it was printed on poor quality paper pamphlets and you had to fill in the pressed numbers on your easily chipped plastic dice with wax crayon...

WE have matured since our early formative years, and yet our hobby sometimes feels like it keeps itself in a perpetual state of 'teenagedom' - constantly engaged in reiterating itself with myriad alternate forms of crunch. There is never more than a page or two in the odd rulebook or the odd supplemental book which manages to do anything more than repeat the same advice about 'how to roleplay'. Nothing really stands out as dedicated to the method acting that makes roleplay sessions truly immersive and dramatic. Players and GM's have to come to that themselves, and many never really manage it.

Thus piles of crunch have built up, and slowed the narrative flow of games down to greater and greater degrees, making immersion more and more difficult to maintain.

One only has to look at these forums to see that the vast majority of debate is about crunch and not flavour or experience.

It's a shame, because at it's best, RP blows 'murder mysteries or other 'mature' games out of the water. But mention RP even at such an event, and people think what they are doing is the high of maturity by comparison.

WE have kept the game grounded in the gaming elements and are judged on that basis. The movies have followed that trend and are really rather bad as a result.

I sincerely hope a good director gets hold of this (whenever the wrangle is over) and makes something better out of it - it will help the hobby no end. Even having a good movie to refer to as shorthand when explaining to non-players what the game is about would be a sea change level of improvement.

Damn the 'Goblins of Kurtle', or unecessary lore-accurate references to whether a hero is in one class level bracket or another (what the hell did that really add to the narrative of the third movie in that lame magic shop conversation??) - I want to see more moments like the 'Ride of the Rohirrim'.

Fantasy is great when it's well done!

What we need is a great fantasy movie set in a D&D world, not a D&D game masquerading as a movie!!!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

I think the fact that they were probably products of their source highlights a mistake on the part of the film makers rather than the source. A pack of dudes around a table making it up as they go along is not going to make good cinema. It's like how MST3K would actually come up with their snark over the course of 3 to 5 viewings of a bad movie and they'd write stuff down, edit it and put it through all the normal rigours of publication before they sat down and made fun of that bad movie for an audience.

A D&D film needs to not reflect a bunch of dudes making it up on the spot. Or it needs to highlight it in a way that makes it obvious and keeps tongue firmly in cheek, but that's harder to do.

Like if you look at what makes the various D&D games like nwn1 and Baldur's Gate so successful, ultimately you have to say it's the quality of the writing. Or you can look at the SSI games like Pool of Radiance, which is also well written but it's really that the puzzles are very well thought out and interesting to unravel.

Point is, they're games first and D&D second. A movie needs to be a good movie first and D&D second.

Hopefully this maneuver will produce good movies. It's not like Sweetpea's managed to win over an adoring fanbase or anything so I can't say I'm gonna get too mad if they lose it. I don't want Hasbro to have it either but given the choice between airplane food I'm not sure I'll like and hospital food I know I hate, I'll take the airplane food.

I found it interesting that a good chunk of the allegations from Hasbro deal with Sweetpea infringing copyright, so from Hasbro's standpoint, they are saying that the last two TV movies werent made under the existing license at all. It might hurt their case that they didnt act sooner, but they'll likely win it eventually. As far as the TV movies go, they weire bloody awful, but in a mildly entertaining way.
Check out my blog at Dead Edition

kedcoleman wrote:

CelticPaladin wrote:

It wouldn't be Oscar worthy Gone With the Wind, but who wants that? The Drizzt stories, or similar, could be made into very awesome action pulp fantasy movies. Ebberon would be great too.

I can understand if you dislike the series. I've lost interest in the newer Salvatore stuff myself. But the early books are loved by a very large portion of people for the reasons I've mentioned. They'd be much better than what the movies have been so far.

Role Play Craft : Crafting Ideas, Modules, and Options for your Role Playing Game.

Actually, if the next D&D movie is about as action oriented and mildly pulpy as the latest Hansel and Gretel movie about the sibling witch hunters, then it would be a step up I think.  Really, the problem is that D&D has a lot of expected nerd baggage that it has to slip in that really kills the mood.  2011's offering of Your Highness was practically a D&D movie in all but the name and maybe some themed monsters.

D&D really just needs to stay off the silver screen.  A cartoon and/or live-action TV show would be a much better medium to tell a D&D story in. 

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

I've written at length about the possibility for a good D&D movie and am hopeful we can get some people with talent involved and get a good movie.

Given the amount if potential profit a big studio could recieve for the movie  versus the small productin  Sweatpea could muster it's in Hasbro's interests to sue away.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

CelticPaladin wrote:

It's always baffled me why they never take that approach. They have lots of great storylines to choose from, given many D&D novels and modules out there. Why do they always choose some generic crap then slap the D&D logo on it, even though it's not in any recognizeable D&D world, and has no D&D elements at all. 

Dwarfslayer wrote:
CelticPaladin wrote:

It's always baffled me why they never take that approach. They have lots of great storylines to choose from, given many D&D novels and modules out there. Why do they always choose some generic crap then slap the D&D logo on it, even though it's not in any recognizeable D&D world, and has no D&D elements at all.

I don't know....hasn't almost every one of them had a poorly CGI'd Beholder floating around guarding some hallway as an in-joke.  That's totally D&D...right?  Right?? 

But yeah, the elements that they choose to use to give a generic fantasy story a D&D flavor are pretty lame.  Cheesy floating CGI flesh-balls with eyes, magic-marts, shoving bodies into bags of holding.....or just piling on a sky-full of dragons for some reason.  I just don't think you can play a D&D movie straight and make it feel like D&D.  It sort of has to make fun of itself, which hurts its appeal to a wider audience that won't get the jokes.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Dwarfslayer wrote:

CelticPaladin wrote:

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Hollywood producers usually put the fantasy elements of a world in the spotlight, use a big name as a background, and entertainment occurs as an afterthought. Consequently most movies based on a big name are terrible movies. Meanwhile, movies such as Jack the Giant Slayer or The Gamers are good because they put entertainment first, use the fantasy world as a background, and the big name is almost incidental.

I actually hope Sweetpea loses the court case just to let someone else have a chance. Even so, I'd like it if the team would release one detail about the movie just to prove that Warner Bros. is taking the project seriously. The setting would be good - if it's Eberron or Dragonlance, someone obviously took the time to learn a little about the lore and the movie has a solid chance of turning out well. If it's just "the D&D setting", the movie will flop because D&D has no distinct setting and someone is out for the quick buck.

To me good news about a D&D movie might be if it were set in Darksun or maybe Eberron and/or was directed by Joss Whedon and had Van Diesel in it. Now that is a line up I could see working.

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

The thing I find interesting is that Hasbro is willing to get all litigious over the D&D IP - a fact that may not bode well for future would-be retro-clones...

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Vin Diesal really?

These new forums are terrible.

I misspell words on purpose too draw out grammer nazis.

Vin would be good, not because he is such a great actor, but I know he is a gamer.  He is familiar with D&D and that would help.

+1 to Vin

Want continued support for 4e, check this out, 4e Lives and Breaths

Check out MY eZine, Random Encounters Seuss (lordseussmd on YM)

CelticPaladin wrote:

kedcoleman wrote:

CelticPaladin wrote:

It wouldn't be Oscar worthy Gone With the Wind, but who wants that? The Drizzt stories, or similar, could be made into very awesome action pulp fantasy movies. Ebberon would be great too.

I can understand if you dislike the series. I've lost interest in the newer Salvatore stuff myself. But the early books are loved by a very large portion of people for the reasons I've mentioned. They'd be much better than what the movies have been so far.

While it's true that the Drizzt stories do have a good sized fanbase,  Drizzt appeals to a very narrow demographic. To most people,  it's an alien main character,  with no significance as to why it's alien,  as "Drow" is meaningless to all but the initiated.  It's guaranteed market skews very heavily male,  and only a portion of that demographic.

If they're going to go with anything,  they're better off with Dragonlance Chronicles.  It's at least as large a guaranteed fanbase as Drizzt and likely larger,  and it's setup is reminiscent of LotR so it has a better chance of pulling a wider audience.  Plus,  it's been in pre-production at least twice now,  once never moving beyond it and once Paramount deciding to go animated feature instead of live action.  That makes it an easier sell because it's already been shopped around.

I'm not saying Drizzt is bad,  but if you're going to make a Hollywood film,  Drizzt isn't a good bet,  it has alot of hurdles it would have to overcome.  Getting people into the theater wouldn't be easy with such an alien main character,  his strongest feature in D&D "He's a dark elf" is his greatest liability since it means nothing to most people.

If we consider that you can make an original movie by avoiding clichés and having a strong flavored universe, the Forgotten Realms incoherent patchwork is certainly the worse D&D campaign setting from this point of view.

If a D&D movie wants to be taken seriously and not be what is Twilight to Anne Rice or Bram Stocker's vampires, he have to be very careful about… anything that can be tagged LotR rip-off.

It leaves settings with very different takes on classic fantasy races like Eberron, Dark Sun or Planescape (the setting is strong enough to take care of walking clichés).

And then there are some sacred cows to kill on screen.

What would be more stupid than a god fanboy running around his fighting buddies to touch them and kill the suspense by healing them ?

And the wizards on the hero team will have to be kept in check to avoid the spellbook full of automatic and anticlimactic utility spells.

A good movie about D&D can't be fully based on D&D.

Monsieur_Moustache wrote:

If we consider that you can make an original movie by avoiding clichés and having a strong flavored universe, the Forgotten Realms incoherent patchwork is certainly the worse D&D campaign setting from this point of view.

If a D&D movie wants to be taken seriously and not be what is Twilight to Anne Rice or Bram Stocker's vampires, he have to be very careful about… anything that can be tagged LotR rip-off.

It leaves settings with very different takes on classic fantasy races like Eberron, Dark Sun or Planescape (the setting is strong enough to take care of walking clichés).

And then there are some sacred cows to kill on screen.

What would be more stupid than a god fanboy running around his fighting buddies to touch them and kill the suspense by healing them ?

And the wizards on the hero team will have to be kept in check to avoid the spellbook full of automatic and anticlimactic utility spells.

A good movie about D&D can't be fully based on D&D.

I don't know, if you REALLY play up the limitations of Vancian magic it could work. Can't you just see it?

Rogue: Alright Mage, you cast sleep on the guards, I'll sneak past them and pick the lock and we'll bust Fighter out of prison. Piece of cake!

Mage: I didn't prepare sleep today...

Rogue: Seriously? Alright, we can make this work... Maybe you can distract one of them with ghost sound - Ghost sound is a cantrip, right? You don't have to prepare it? - Then I'll knock him out with a sneak attack when he turns the corner. That probably won't work more than once, but at least that's one down, and you can probably use your crossbow on the other one. It won't be easy, but I think we can pull it off if we're lucky.

Mage: ...

Rogue: Oh, what now?

Mage: I'm all out of level 0 spell slots...

Rogue: You've got to be kidding me! Ok, ok, we can figure this out... what DO you have left today?

Mage: Three detect magics, a rope trick, aaaaand a color spray.

Rogue: I hate you so much.

In all seriousness though, you're absolutely right, and the above is exactly why. A D&D movie couldn't actually BE D&D and be successful. I mean, the settings are absolutely ripe with potential for great movies, but anything resembling actual D&D gameplay would be lost on people not already familiar with the game, and would only be good for a cheap in-joke like above. I almost think you'd need a writer who was extremely well-read on the lore of the setting, but had never actually played the game. That way you'd get a script that was true to the setting, but had a narrative that actually followed common sense instead of trying to mimic the extremely quirky way that D&D plays out.

I think Dragonlance should be the way to go, but then I realize there are some things that are too similar to the LotR, and I'm not sure how the public will react to it:

1 - Fizban would look almost exactly like Gandalf, in his role as well as visually...
2 - Tanis/Laurana = Elf-blooded rangery leader with an Elven princess girlfriend...
3 - Sturm/Alhana = Another Elven princess giving a Jewel as a gift to her impossible human love...

At least they should change Fizban's looks, and maybe some other small things. But I'd definitely love a Dragonlance movie. I would even go with something "Pixar" style.

PS: BTW, I only recently found out there was a "Discworld" movie... I don't even thing they ever played it in Europe!

My RPG Campaigns

I joke that D&D Next is what happens when, A Christmas Carol-like, 3rd & 4th edition's ghosts travel back in time to an evening near the end of AD&D 2E's life, and say "this is what is coming" and so AD&D 2E heads off in a different direction. So, it's like alt-reality AD&D 3rd, maybe?Cam Banks

WhiteHarness wrote:

Does this bode ill for the upcoming D&D film?

One can only hope it does.

I just said something and you just read it. Sorry about that.

CelticPaladin wrote:

This deserves to be quoted again and again. Ive read more than 60 FR, and 15 Dragonlance novels. Ive never read one that was as bad as the two D&D movies I watched. You would think after Game of Thrones...

If I had to choose a D&D setting for a movie, I would choose Eberron or Spelljammer

Eberron: Huge cities, magnificent flying ships, unusual civilisations for familiar fantasy races, and moderate religious presence.

Spelljammer : Absurd and funny "natural" laws, fantasy spaceships, transplanar travels, alternate realities, unusual space adventures, moderate religious presence.

Dark Sun would be another original choice, but it would be hard to characterize visually IMO. But not impossible.

Planescape is more a place live in than something to tell stories about IMO. Great for roleplay or for a TV series, but it's hard to picture something exploiting the setting with the movie format.

Ravenloft good for roleplay, but would appear ridiculous if not used in a comedy.

Other settings are simply unusable, totally crippled with clichés and LotR concepts with little variations. And heavy not so convincing religious presences doesn't help some of them.

So Soloman makes a couple of exceptionally crappy movies that don't make money and he's sueing in order to make more of them?

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

Thanks to Peter Jackson, the fantasy movie bar has been raised so high that a D&D movie has little chance. Especially if they did a Dragon Lance or Forgotten Realms based film(s). 

Also, HBO's Game of Thrones will make any D&D-based tv series look bad. And look immature. D&D's insistance on being PG, despite the fact that many players are over 18 can get rediculous sometimes.

The above comparisons by the public, and movie producers/studios is inevitable.

Also, look what Hasbro has done movie-wise with it's two biggest properties; Transformers, and GI Joe. Sure, they are high budget. To some, they are fun. They did make money. But...Seriously. Look at them. Transformers is probably the best they can (or want) to do.

I vote for a fantasy movie that is not only high budget, but would have to be well-written, well directed, and well casted. Something set in Ebberon or Dark Sun. Those two campaign worlds really break the mold of fantasy tropes in great and unexpected ways. The D&D logo should not be on it, save for in the end credits. 

For a 'TV' series, I'd look to Netflix. They've recently shown they can do it REALLY well, across several genres. Plus, the 'all episodes released at once' is a great format, and will be the future of serialized programming. (ie: TV). You can binge, and watch them all, or ration them over days and weeks. Without ads, and with a pause button. Something set in Plane Scape could work as a serial...I think a movie is too short to explain WTF 'Plane Scape' even is. Of course, some Eberron intrigue, or Dark Sun slave revolt would also make a great serial.

PS: All this talk of a Drizzt movie/series sounds cool, as it is a popular series of books (I loved them in middle school) BUT, every time I hear talk of a Driz movie, I imagine someone like 90's Keanu Reeves (or some unknown to me athletic 20-something pretty boy actor) in black-face makeup...and I'm simultaniously morally sickened and almost spazmatic with laughter.

I don't want to be an edition warrior. I think there was something good and something bad in all the editions I played. I do, however, believe that the game has gotten better over the years (and decades). I hope this holds true into the future.

Peace.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

seti wrote:

Thanks to Peter Jackson, the fantasy movie bar has been raised so high that a D&D movie has little chance. Especially if they did a Dragon Lance or Forgotten Realms based film(s). 

Also, HBO's Game of Thrones will make any D&D-based tv series look bad. And look immature. D&D's insistance on being PG, despite the fact that many players are over 18 can get rediculous sometimes.

The above comparisons by the public, and movie producers/studios is inevitable.

Also, look what Hasbro has done movie-wise with it's two biggest properties; Transformers, and GI Joe. Sure, they are high budget. To some, they are fun. They did make money. But...Seriously. Look at them. Transformers is probably the best they can (or want) to do.

I vote for a fantasy movie that is not only high budget, but would have to be well-written, well directed, and well casted. Something set in Ebberon or Dark Sun. Those two campaign worlds really break the mold of fantasy tropes in great and unexpected ways. The D&D logo should not be on it, save for in the end credits. 

For a 'TV' series, I'd look to Netflix. They've recently shown they can do it REALLY well, across several genres. Plus, the 'all episodes released at once' is a great format, and will be the future of serialized programming. (ie: TV). You can binge, and watch them all, or ration them over days and weeks. Without ads, and with a pause button. Something set in Plane Scape could work as a serial...I think a movie is too short to explain WTF 'Plane Scape' even is. Of course, some Eberron intrigue, or Dark Sun slave revolt would also make a great serial.

PS: All this talk of a Drizzt movie/series sounds cool, as it is a popular series of books (I loved them in middle school) BUT, every time I hear talk of a Driz movie, I imagine someone like 90's Keanu Reeves (or some unknown to me athletic 20-something pretty boy actor) in black-face makeup...and I'm simultaniously morally sickened and almost spazmatic with laughter.

Yeah that is a problem. If the Drow were portrayed a bit like Darth Maul with  but with a personality it may help. Dragonlance is basically a LoTR rip off as mentioned earlier. Something set in FR or Eberron would probably be the best for a movie adaption, and Darksun would probablybe labeled as fantasy Dune and planescape no one would care about. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

Ravenloft was done, excellently, IMO, in anime form with the 2 vampire hunter D movies.

I don't want to be an edition warrior. I think there was something good and something bad in all the editions I played. I do, however, believe that the game has gotten better over the years (and decades). I hope this holds true into the future.

Peace.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Other option could the the project of a Urban Arcana TV serie, or Cyberave, (Urban Arcana + Cyberpunk). Other settins could be Gamma World or from d20 Past. 

Cartoon show? Maybe a comic version with Kre-o figures but I am not sure about the idea. Kre-o figures are horrible, we would need like LEGO friends. 

Dreamblade could be a movie or TV franchise? and heroscape?

Please, Gormiti is a succes, and they are only Italians, or Code Lyoko. 

The true key is a interesting story and cool characters. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

We might note that copyright law is preventing us from seeing D&D stuff here.  Granted, what has been produced is junk, but 90% of everything is junk.  The copyrights are also preventing any good stuff from being made.  It doesn't matter which set of lawyers win, we are going to end up paying them.  Eliminating copyright would help us.

Krull is copyright by Columbia Pictures (Sony), isn´t it?

In the worst of cases Universal and Warner can buy create a new IP (intelectual property) or buy the copyright of some old fantasy videogame from 80´s (for example "ghosts ´n goblins", in my town it was called "the one of the zombies"), worse, the copyright of a D&D retroclone, for example Pathfinder rpg.

DavidArgall wrote:

Eliminating copyright would help us.

No thank you.  Ownership of IP is very important, especially to artists, writers, and filmmakers.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.