9/11/2013 UR: "The Lost Confession"

25 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

"Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them."

Wow, that was a lot to swallow.

I'm guessing Koth's not dead (Creative doesn't have much control over Planeswalker deaths), but if he is, this is a pretty good way to go out; what's funny is that this is the second time a Vulshok had to detonate a massive bomb, after the one who detonated the Ratchet Bomb on the Scars website. It's a bit depressing to see the Mirran resistance failed despite the furnace's protection; I'm disappointed not to see any real resolution to the Red Phyrexians' independence.

It seems like the Praetors really don't like Tezzeret, but knowing creative, he's going to pull out some deus ex machina and somehow become the Father of Machines. Urgh. 

Still, it's nice to see the Magic storyline changing and not just staying the same.

I like it. It was a good tease

I appreciate the closure, but this was a rather unceremonious way to do it. I had higher (albiet unrealistic) hopes for the resistance and Melira, and this is a lot to take in at once. It sure sounds like Koth is dead, although Tezzeret almost certainly survived. I'm looking forward to hearing more at some point, but for now, this is a bittersweet ending to SoM.

Fireballmage wrote:

It seems like the Praetors really don't like Tezzeret, but knowing creative, he's going to pull out some deus ex machina and somehow become the Father of Machines.

Reeeeally hope this doesn't happen.  The Phyrexians wreaked havoc on Dominaria when they needed to build portals and artificial planes in order to leave Phyrexia.  Imagine the kind of damage they could do if, instead of having to go through all the time and effort that a portal between just two planes requires, their leader could planeswalk (Karn doesn't count since he was never compleat).  Pop to a plane, dump some oil, pop to another one, rinse and repeat until the Phyrexians have seeded hundreds of worlds.

Wow. i did not like this story at all. It makes Koth look like more of a douchy alpha bro than ever before! It was bad enough when he shanghaied Vesner into he helping with the fight on mirrodin, but this nearly killed Elspeth. Burying someone up to their knees in rock, rendering them nearly defenseless while Phyrexians are knocking at the door is not the appropriate way to ask someone to leave. How am i supposed to view Koth sympathetically when he keeps making decisions for others when he is clearly not in a rational state of mind? Elspeth maybe be borderline suicidal, But Koth appears to have gone straight over the edge. Where does Koth get off on telling Elspeth, "Yeah, i can see that you don't want to keep fighting anymore, so i'm going to place you in a situation where you will most likely die in a gambit to make you leave while i prepare to blow myself up." If Koth sincerly cared for Elspeth's well being, why would he do that?

And what was that rockwall supposed to do against that spellbomb? the spellbomb had to be atleast powerful enough to penetrate the ceiling and cause enough damage to the rest of the room above it to kill the preators, or else their entire mission was a pointless suicide mission. if it was that powerful, what was that rockwall going to do to sheild Elspeth from the blast? jack all is what. And if Koth could make a wall that powerful, why not make one completely around Elspeth? Give her time to make the jump.

But no. Koth, you suicidal douche. you took Elspeth and buired her up to her knees between a rock and a phyrexian obliterator and then set off a bomb a few feet away. That's not something you do to someone you want to live!

As for Elsepth...wow, you poor broken mess of a human being. i used to think she was a coward. now i know she is traumatized. if not before mirrodin, then definately now. i honestly don't know how anyone expects her to save a plane.

Elspeth is coming to theros for respite and rest. to give up fighting against powers she can't win against. And the tragic thing is we all know that isn't what is about to happen. after all the homes she has fought for and lost, it's just going to happen again. I don't even know what Heliod could say to convince Elpseth to fight the upcoming battles, but it must surely be some contrived BS.

And after it all, after she sees the god's for the petty douchebags that they are, after she has bled to try and save another plane, Elspeth is probably just going to end up walking away again. not out of cowardice, but desperation for something better. and It is tragic that she will probably never find it.

TL; DR: Koth is a douche and Elspeth, i'm so, so sorry your existance sucks so bad.

wow, that made the sickening plot of "search for karn" all the more sickening.

why can't ever happen anything remotely positive in the world of magic?

also karn running off again after all that has been done and sacrificied for him is kinda typical.

Abbot Pheldy OSM Mafia Awards 2010 Most Unique Playstyle Designer of Game of the Year 2010 Designer of Most Flavorful Game My achievements random hum

Definitely looking forward to reading the novella when it comes out. The RTR block ones were pretty decent. Are we ever going to get a continuation of the planeswalker books? Those were really really good. Especially Test of Metal.

Please don't give up on the physical novels! There are those of us that are praying to the gods of Theros for more!

I didn't expect them to wrap up the Mirrodin story so bleakly, but I guess it was inevitable. This article is a good reminder of how horrific the Phyrexians really are.

Interested in the glimpses it gives us of Theros though - especially Pharika. Potions and poisons? Snake-loving priests? More convinced than ever now that Pharika will be and maybe take a gorgon-form for her manifestations.

Quinn_Nightshade wrote:

Fireballmage wrote:

It seems like the Praetors really don't like Tezzeret, but knowing creative, he's going to pull out some deus ex machina and somehow become the Father of Machines.

Reeeeally hope this doesn't happen.  The Phyrexians wreaked havoc on Dominaria when they needed to build portals and artificial planes in order to leave Phyrexia.  Imagine the kind of damage they could do if, instead of having to go through all the time and effort that a portal between just two planes requires, their leader could planeswalk (Karn doesn't count since he was never compleat).  Pop to a plane, dump some oil, pop to another one, rinse and repeat until the Phyrexians have seeded hundreds of worlds.

Well, Tezzeret can't be compleated either unless he loses his spark. Yawgmoth had tried for centuries to gain a spark for himself, later to corrupt a planeswalker, until he scrapped both plans and prepared the Rath overlay plan, if I recall my lore correctly. Also, I don't really see how becoming Father of Machines fits either Tezzeret's or Bolas's agenda.

I too was hoping for some Melira/Karn team up that at least established pockets of resistence on the plane, but I guess not. I root for Elspeth though, she is my favorite 'walker by far, head and shoulders above any other one. Just remember, as Wonder Woman said, sometimes it's not who we are, but who we aspire to be that counts!

That was a moving story.  I was never able to bring myself to read that trainwreck of literature called Quest for Karn.  Now I want to try again.

Hang in there Elspeth.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Damn, Elspeth, you depressing. And very morbid. Not what I'd expect from a white planeswalker, but I guess Ajani is stronger in spirit. Koth is awesome, can't wait to see more of him. He's got RESOLVE. Glad Elesh is doing well, too. She should rule. Hope she's pleased with the progress of the slivers.

I'm just hoping this isn't one of those "Elspeth had a drop of oil on her she didn't realize she brought with her to Theros" as that would be a rather annoying return to theros if such a thing would happen.

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer

I dont like Elspeth. She is very dull and does not even have  a personality. I wish she died and Koth/Tezzeret survived.

I liked it, though I hope she didn't carry any of that damn oil with her.

Funny, the cards haven't been doing much for Theros for me, but this was pretty good.  

Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

What? No preview?

And here I was hoping MaRo saying mirrodin was originally gonna be a three-block saga was a troll that there would be a third mirrodin of the mirrans smashing the phyrexians. Well, now thats a bust. I'm not happy about that.

And Elspeth seems to have reached a point where she doesn't even want to keep looking for a home.

Tezzeret doesn't like being Bolas' minion, he's tried to subvert, capture, or kill Bolas at least twice so far, and Bolas sent Tezzeret to Mirrodin with the instruction that he prevent any of the Phyrexian leaders from taking hold so Bolas probably doesn't want Phyrexia united.  Becoming Father of Machines sounds like just the sort of thing Tezzeret might see as a good move against Bolas.

Another interesting bit is the closing where it says, "Eternally yours." Elspeth must have romantic feelings for Ajani.

Wow. This seems cool, but about 95% went over my head! I just started playing MTG with Gatecrash... I did read the RtR novellas. I've heard that some of the previous books have been pretty bad. What book would you guys suggest that I start from to get all this awesome backstory?

I have yet to read "Quest for Karn", but I understand the gist of it. A friend of mine filled me in on the main points...

This actually raised my opinion of Elspeth a little. It plummeted after reading the web comic where the vulshok woman scolds her for being a coward. Yeah Yeah, she does go and help Venser and Koth, but it still seemed like she was apathetic. Though, speaking of the web comics, I wonder what the Plane Elspeth was origianly from? It's implied that it too has an infestation of Phyrexians. (maybe some of the old colonies that Urza and Xantcha ran into?)

As far as the bleakness of this article... I don't know if I should take "Elspeth's" account as a sign that New Phyrexia has completely quashed the Mirran Resistance, or if things were just so bad, it's like thinking back to the battlefield and wondering "how could any of us survive?" I have some hope that Karn will do something to either fight back, or to help in rescuing the surviving masses. Elspeth may hope that Venser's machine died with him, but the idea plus Karn's "Weatherlight" experience could prove a way to create an Ark.

Here's to looking forward to Elspeth finding some kind of Home on Theros... and possibly reuniting with her dear friend Ajani.

if I were you, I'd not try to get "all the backstory" but just pick up the best books and read them. you can always pick up the other ones and fill up with your backstory later.

to get you hooked, I highly recommend

the Gathering Dark - Eternal Ice - Shattered Alliance

or

Assassin's Blade - Emperor's Fist - Champion's Trial

Abbot Pheldy OSM Mafia Awards 2010 Most Unique Playstyle Designer of Game of the Year 2010 Designer of Most Flavorful Game My achievements random hum

Feroz-s_Familiar_Pheldy wrote:

if I were you, I'd not try to get "all the backstory" but just pick up the best books and read them. you can always pick up the other ones and fill up with your backstory later.

to get you hooked, I highly recommend

the Gathering Dark - Eternal Ice - Shattered Alliance

or

Assassin's Blade - Emperor's Fist - Champion's Trial

Funny enough, I own the Ice Age books. Jodah is my favorite character in all of magic, and he's really only mentioned on one card. I hope to one day see a Jaya Planeswalker card (I know Jodah said she's dead in Planar Chaos, but Jhoira rebuttles this in Future Sight. There's hope!)

As for the Legends books, I would love to get my hands on them.

I've heard that Quest for Karn is terrible, but really the Onslaught cycle books were kind of garbage too (compared to the Odyssey cycle, which was pretty good in my opinion). I still like to try and read them, if anything to pick up on the things development might turn into a plot point. (such as Glissa being in the Core in the books allowing her to show up again.

I wanna hear more about Venser's ship! That is so cool he was making an old-school inter-planar ship. I hope that is something that's going to come up in future stories.  I'd like to see more emphasis on planeswalking and inter-planar travels/relationships. While I doubt we're getting Weatherlight: The Next Generation, an inter-planar heist/caper or return to Dominaria would be welcome at this point.

I hope Koth isn't dead. Maybe he was mentioned in this article because he's going to make an appearance in this block.

I like that we're getting some more info about what happens after a block concludes. Along those lines, I'd like to hear a bit more about Liliana and Garruk at some point, as their whole showdown on Innistrad rather fizzled. Did they ever cure Garruk? Last I heard he was being dragged off and near-dead to Avacyn.

God, this Uncharted Realms was so good.  Months later, I found myself thinking about it, and had to come back to read it again.  I lvoed the storylineof New Phyrexia, and really wanetd to hear more about it.  The brutal, hopeless tone in this, mixed with that sheer desperate hope for some sort of salvation in Theros...gives me shivers.  Well done.

Sign In to post comments