Far Realm God

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to create a Far Realm god-like being as the major threat that will loom over the PCs and the world for my next campaign. I'm not looking to stat it out ofcourse, since its not meant to be a foe the PCs can actualy fight or defeat in any capacity other than making sure it can't cross from the Far Realm into the world. However I am trying to develop some lore surrounding it and a basic work-up of what it (most often) appears as.

My idea so far is something akin to the Great Old Ones of the Cthulhu mythos. An ancient, terrible god-like being so massivly powerful that it can consume the world, neigh the entire cosmos, should it ever be released. I had the idea that in a time before the Dawn War, this being perhaps ruled the cosmos (or rather the void that would become the cosmos). Then (for some unknown reason) it retreated back to the Far Realm and fell into a deep slumber, allowing the primordials to rise to power. Now it is stirring, and agents of the Far Realm are working to open a rift big enough for it to emerge in the world and return all things to madness and void.

I also had the vague notion to connect the Star Spawn to this being, since they are not very well defined. My idea was that the stars that generate Star Spawn are infact "exarchs" of the Far Realm god, left behind to prepare the cosmos for its eventual return.

I was hoping to get a brainstorming session going here to come up with:
1. Reasons the Far Realm god left the cosmos in the first place.
2. Why it is now stirring.
3. How its servants are preparing for its return.
4. What sort of ritual/spell could possibly create a rift into the Far Realm big enough for this thing to enter the world.
5. How the PCs might learn of this plot and go about trying to stop it.

Again this thread is just for brainstorming. I'm not asking anyone to come up with everything down to the last detail. Its just to toss around ideas and bounce concepts off fellow DMs.

Oh, I'm also seeking a suitable name for this being. I realize leaving it nameless would probably be more ominous and fitting, but I like naming things.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a world just around the corner of your mind, where reality is an intruder and dreams come true.

You may escape into it at will. You need no secret password, no magic wand or Aladdin's lamp;

only your own imagination and curiosity about things that never were.

I like naming things too lol xD While a Cthulhu-sounding name like Ktigguroth or something might be fitting, something more like a title might be more ominous, such as the One Who Wakes/Sleeps/Waits or something like that.

Warlocks with the star pact could feature in this campaign, particularly if one of your players has one.

1. Why did he leave? Because there was a cosmos before this one, and he ate it. Thus sated, he returned to the Far Realm and slept, hibernating.
2.  Why is he stirring now? Because there's a new cosmos to eat. Sure, it may have been here for thousands or millions of years, but that's little more than an eyeblink to this monstrosity.
3. Its servants are preparing by attempting to release more farspawn into the world (such as aboleths, beholders, illithids, etc) in order to weaken the barriers between realities, and are doing various things to protect themselves from the sight of gods and primordials who might try to stop them if they knew what was going on.
4. A ritual requiring lots and lots of brains to be consumed in a sacrificial manner, followed by the sacrifice of a thousand illithids who have consumed said brains, whilst a hundred insane high level casters are chanting for six days and nights and giving up forever their ability to use magic in the process. Also lots of rare items that the servants are trying to collect prior to the ritual: artifacts and whatnot.
5. How do the PCs find out? Well, if one of the PCs is in fact a star pact warlock, then that's a hook right there. Otherwise, perhaps some alchemist's rare stock of some exotic material is stolen, and he hires the PCs to get it back. Of course, it's been stolen by the monstrosity's servants to be a component of the super ritual, and things snowball from there. 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
A title rather than a name might work. However I would prefer something less predictable than The One Who Slumbers/Wakes/Whatever, and I would still like it to have a proper name that perhaps might curse those who speak it aloud. Or speaking it might draw the attention of the Star Spawn exarchs.

Your ideas for one and two are not bad, however, how would the PCs come across this knowledge? If the previous cosmos were consumed there would obviously be no lore left behind to uncover. Its an intriguing idea though. My first thought is that the previous cosmos might even be one of the published D&D settings such as Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms that was consumed to make way for my homebrew world. Just a thought that occured to me.

Concerning your response to three. I was intending its minions to be Farspawn creatures. It seems very unlikely that natural creatures would serve this creature, even mad ones. Maybe there would be some as slaves or very low level minions, but the ones actualy schemeing and plotting will likely be the Farspawn creatures themselves. The idea still works ofcourse, I just thought I'd bring up my intentions.

For number four, I'd like something a little more specific and less....I don't know. But I don't really like the idea that the ritual is just a matter of collecting items and chanting, and for only six days. I feel like it should be something much more terrible, something that would seem unthinkable to the natural creatures or wholly forbidden. Sacrfice is over played in these type of scenarios. I'm looking for something more unique.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a world just around the corner of your mind, where reality is an intruder and dreams come true.

You may escape into it at will. You need no secret password, no magic wand or Aladdin's lamp;

only your own imagination and curiosity about things that never were.

How do the PCs come about this knowledge? Perhaps there are survivors from the previous cosmos, or artifacts. Perhaps the shard of evil that got thrown in the Abyss is all that's left of it; perhaps there are unspeakably ancient ruins of alien architecture that have survived the passage of time and untime, floating in a shattered demiplane adrift in the astral sea. Perhaps the Farspawn minions themselves know, and have knowledge recorded in their blasphemous tomes.

About the minions. It can be farspawn themselves (such as illithids already in the world) who breach the veils of reality to bring in more of their kind.  

As for the ritual itself, hmm. I'll have to give that some thought.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
1. Reasons the Far Realm god left the cosmos in the first place. & 2. Why it is now stirring. 
All things shift between sleep and awareness, a rhythmgenerally established by their home world as day and night give way to each other. This entity of yours might simply have retreated to sleep because he was tired, and having slumbered for his "night" although it might be thousands of our years, now returns to awareness for the next several thousand.

3. How its servants are preparing for its return & 4. What sort of ritual/spell could possibly create a rift into the Far Realm big enough for this thing to enter the world.
The creature may be nigh omnipotent but breaking throug hthe barrier between worlds is not a light undetaking for even something above gods. Inorder to conserve its strength, its minons will be trying to weaken the fabric between realms, perhaps by calling forth more farspawn, which in the process of coming through to our realm, rip the hole through which they traveled ever wider, or whose mere presence weakens the fabric of reality
Alternatively, theire schemes may be even grander and inorder to weaken this worlds defenses the cultists/minons plan to attack the personifications of this worlds aspects, the gods. The sacrifice of enough gods at the same time could be enough to allow this entity passage.

1) The PCs accidentally stumble upon a cultist den or upon a book detailing this creatures return while on their adventures.
2) The cultists, confident in their masters power, make no bones about overtly telling the world about his/her/its coming and have been seen walking down the roads carrying sign with slogans like " the tentacles are nigh!" etc.
3) Wizards and other spellcasters have reported that their powers have been fluctuating strangely, users of primal magic say the spirits are bristling and acting like cornered animals when called upon, divine magic users have been receiving strange and terrifying dreams from their gods and psionic practioners have been reporting splitting headaches. One of the arch-mages or grand psions has an idea about the origin of these problems....
Your ideas for one and two are not bad, however, how would the PCs come across this knowledge? If the previous cosmos were consumed there would obviously be no lore left behind to uncover. Its an intriguing idea though. My first thought is that the previous cosmos might even be one of the published D&D settings such as Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms that was consumed to make way for my homebrew world. Just a thought that occured to me.

Again here, the star pact warlock could come into play. Maybe the star itself is the sole survivor of the last cosmos, and is pouring its energy into this hero in an effort to prevent the return of the Old One.

If a player doesn't want to be the warlock, it could still work as a central NPC.
Savage Species Had the Umbral Template which gave the power of Shades to the living and made them a type of undead. Perhaps call it the Umbral Lady,the end of Hope and Light?

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

1. Reasons the Far Realm god left the cosmos in the first place.

It may have been banished by some very powerful gods or the like originally, or maybe simply left for its own reasons. Cthulhu et al don't really have plans and logic the same way mortal do 

2. Why it is now stirring.
3. How its servants are preparing for its return.

The adventurers may have woken it accidentally, or it may be a cyclical thing. 

4. What sort of ritual/spell could possibly create a rift into the Far Realm big enough for this thing to enter the world.

I dunno, but what about throwing in the Necronomicon, where both the ritual to create the rift and close it may be.

Uncover a temple, be attacked by priests of the Old Gods, Cthulhu mythos often used dreams, vision from one of their gods?

Sign In to post comments