New Miniatures Release Announced

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
New Miniatures Release was announced by D&D Head of Publishing and Licensing Liz Schuh in an Exclusive Interview on D&D: The Sundering with ICv2. It will be a special limited edition run of all The Sundering heroes from the six novels this fall.  They are also doing a limited run of the Isteval character, the paladin. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Any other ways The Sundering is going to play out in the marketplace?
Our partner Gale Force 9 (see "'Dungeons & Dragons' Miniatures") is doing a special limited edition run of all The Sundering heroes from the six novels.  They are also doing a limited run of the Isteval character, the paladin that I mentioned earlier.  So the people who really love the hobby of painting their metal miniatures will be able to paint up some of the key heroes from The Sundering adventures and Sundering stories.

When will those come out?

Those will be coming out this fall.  They’ll have a limited number of advance items available at Gen Con, but the products themselves will be launching in conjunction with the novel releases.  The very first one, which is the Drizzt and Guenhwyvar minis series, will be on sale at the end of August.  They’ll do a few presales at Gen Con, but it really launches at the end of August. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

The models look pretty good. Looking forward to seeing the rest.
You Learn Something New Every Day!
Interesting fact revealed in the interview:  the new minis will be metal and unpainted.

When was the last time there were official D&D brand metal unpainted minis? I'm thinking it was before the Harbinger set, so 2002? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
they kook really nice. I will buy them.
Interesting fact revealed in the interview:  the new minis will be metal and unpainted.

When was the last time there were official D&D brand metal unpainted minis? I'm thinking it was before the Harbinger set, so 2002? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

They are resin and not metal.  If you click on the unpainted Drizzt pic above the image says it is resin.  Also when browsing the Gale Force 9 site, all the D&D minis are resin.

I might buy all six of these sets.  I'm definitly reading all six novels!
You can see all them here, the hulk looks cool. 

gf9-dnd.com/miniatures.aspx
They all look pretty good, except Drizzt, who looks magnificently impractical for actually using to play the game.  The Umber Hulk looks like one I might actually consider buying.

I really like the GF9 resins.  And yeah, despite the interview, they're definitely resin.  Very few people are actually makign metal minis any more, the cost of the metal has made it very difficult to be economical doing them in metal.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
OK folks, I hate to be negative, and I hope that I don't get b& for this, BUT...

I bought a set of these at Gen Con. They are CRAP.

First off, $50.00 for FIVE PLASTIC MINIATURES? I could have purchased 5 of the out-of-print Partha AD&D minis for that much on ebay, and they'd be better quality, and METAL. The minis are covered in flash pieces, the details are horrid, the plastic/resin stuff breaks apart very easily, the pieces were bent up in the packaging so that they sit funny on the bases. (the gnoll looks like it's doing the limbo)

I am not impressed with these, and GF9 should be embarrassed with the quality of this product. I would have been happier buying that AD&D Grenadier set in the consignment area at GC, and the molds for those were awful back in the day.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

$10 per mini is pretty standard these days.  The rest isn't.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
$10 per mini is pretty standard these days.  The rest isn't.

Unpainted resin minis actually average at about $3 each - at least, Reaper's Bones do.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Reaper bones minis are plastic, not resin.  Plastic minis are far harder to make, as you need an injection moulding machine (hence the Bones kickstarter, to buy them one, and stop the minis needing to come in on the slow boat from China), which you don't for resin.  Resin is cheaper in infrastructure to make, but more expensive per unit made.
Reaper bones minis are plastic, not resin.  Plastic minis are far harder to make, as you need an injection moulding machine (hence the Bones kickstarter, to buy them one, and stop the minis needing to come in on the slow boat from China), which you don't for resin.  Resin is cheaper in infrastructure to make, but more expensive per unit made.

Well then... amend my statement to the following: as easily mishapen as plastic, and more expensive than even metal? What's the point of resin?

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

That it's not even close to more expensive than metal, these days. Most companies that work in other materials than injection moulded plastic have long since switch to resin (often with disastrous PR consequences) because buying the metal to mould with is horiffically expensive.  You can get metals cheap on ebay because they're not being made from new.

It's far from ideal, but it's the situation.
I would have to disagree; I have purchased Reaper products in metal recently at my FLGS; most PC-type minis are still around $4-5 per, not $10. Also, at Gen Con I received a copy of a magazine which had a promo Malifaux mini from Wyrd Miniatures in plastic (not resin). The quality of the sculpt and molding were 20x better than the trash I received from GF9.

Personally, I would have preferred if WotC handed over the mini line either back to Iron Wind Metals (who could then reissue the old 90s AD&D line, which were incredibly awesome) or to Reaper, who is by far the leader in gaming miniature quality. 

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

If you buy the bones plastic minis they run to about $3 apiece (unless you get them via kickstarter, in which case they're a LOT cheaper; they're running another one in the autumn.
If you buy the bones plastic minis they run to about $3 apiece (unless you get them via kickstarter, in which case they're a LOT cheaper; they're running another one in the autumn.

Reaper's doing another kickstarter? I may need to get in on that.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

I 7/11 gf 9 sets

i think they are very nice.

You get what you pay for.

The reaper plastics look like average minis.

Nice but nothing special. Agood price but thats all.

I want better than average if I am going to paint the mini.