Homebrew Ritual

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
In my game, certain "immortal" creatures are just that: immortal even when you destroy them in combat. As such, some powerful immortal creatures can return to gameplay after a short period of time (for some a year or a month, but others might return as quickly as a day).

The players in my game are looking for a way to destroy an immortal foe forever (or, at the very least, an inconveniently long time), but 4e rules don't seem to offer the soul capture items or spells of past editions. As such, I've designed the following ritual to present this option in my game.

What do you think? Is it balanced? Would you make any alterations?

Show

Trap the Soul

Shadows swirl in a vortex around the corpse, growing ever tighter and faster in their circuit. When the magic binds itself to the dead flesh, it coalesces into a tiny ball of utter darkness and is absorbed by the prepared vessel.

Component Cost: 500 gp, plus a focus worth 500 gp
Market Price: 2500 gp
Key Skill: Heal (no check)

Level: 11
Category: Restoration
Time: 1 hour
Duration: Instantaneous

This ritual is performed on an adjacent corpse. It binds the soul to the focus, preventing its passage to Dolurrh or any other plane. Once so bound, the soul rests in a state of torpor within the focus. You cannot perform the Raise Dead ritual on a corpse preserved by this ritual regardless of how long it stays in stasis. If the focus or corpse is destroyed, the soul is released and the ritual ends.

Focus: A specially prepared phylactery.

Special: A ritual scroll of this ritual costs 500 gp, plus a 500 gp focus (phylactery: 10 inch gold urn sealed with mystic waxes) and takes 30 minutes to perform.

In my game, certain "immortal" creatures are just that: immortal even when you destroy them in combat. As such, some powerful immortal creatures can return to gameplay after a short period of time (for some a year or a month, but others might return as quickly as a day).

The players in my game are looking for a way to destroy an immortal foe forever (or, at the very least, an inconveniently long time), but 4e rules don't seem to offer the soul capture items or spells of past editions. As such, I've designed the following ritual to present this option in my game.

What do you think? Is it balanced? Would you make any alterations?

Show

Trap the Soul

Shadows swirl in a vortex around the corpse, growing ever tighter and faster in their circuit. When the magic binds itself to the dead flesh, it coalesces into a tiny ball of utter darkness and is absorbed by the prepared vessel.

Component Cost: 500 gp, plus a focus worth 500 gp
Market Price: 2500 gp
Key Skill: Heal (no check)

Level: 11
Category: Restoration
Duration: Instantaneous

This ritual is performed on an adjacent corpse. It binds the soul to the focus, preventing its passage to Dolurrh or any other plane. Once so bound, the soul rests in a state of torpor within the focus. You cannot perform the Raise Dead ritual on a corpse preserved by this ritual regardless of how long it stays in stasis. If the focus or corpse is destroyed, the soul is released and the ritual ends.

Focus: A specially prepared phylactery.

Special: A ritual scroll of this ritual costs 500 gp, plus a 500 gp focus (phylactery: 10 inch gold urn sealed with mystic waxes) and takes 30 minutes to perform.

When you state "Time: 1 Hour" what is this referring too? How long the captured soul stays captured?
No, actually that refers to the ritual's casting time. The duration should probably be permanent instead of instantaneous. But after posting this, I continued with my research and found that there are better templates within the game than what I orginally designed above (namely Primal Prison, a ritual I was previously unaware of). And so I've redesigned my ritual based on that:

Show

Trap the Soul

Component Cost: 600 gp, plus 1000 gp focus
Market Price: 4200 gp
Key Skill: Arcana

Level: 14
Category: Binding
Duration: Permanent (special)

This ritual is performed on an adjacent corpse and must be performed within three hours of death. It binds the soul to the focus, preventing its passage to Dolurrh or any other plane. Once so bound, the soul rests in a state of torpor within the focus. Your Arcana check determines the maximum level of the subject.

Arcana Check Result

Maximum Level

14 or lower

Your level - 5

15–24

Your level

25 or higher

Your level + 2

You cannot perform the Raise Dead ritual on a corpse preserved by this ritual regardless of how long it stays in stasis. If the focus is destroyed, the soul is released and the ritual ends.

Focus: A specially prepared phylactery (10 inch gold urn with mystic seals).

Thoughts?