Alchemical Wrath?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, running a game in Sharn right now. The PCs visited the Wounded Dragon, an alchemy shop run by Cask, a changeling artificer in league with the Daask crime organization.

Listed among his wares is "wrath". I can find no stats for this substance. I thought it was something from the book of vile darkness at first (like "liquid pain"), but I didn't come up with anything.

Does anyone know what this is?
Planes Wanderer
To answer this question, I went all the way back to my original draft of S:CoT. I would assume that it was something that was cut and the developers/editors didn't catch all the references. It's an alchemical substance only available through shady sources:

Wrath: Another combat elixir developed during the Last War, wrath causes its user to enter a state of pure berserk fury. This is identical to the barbarian rage ability, with a duration of 3 round + the user's improved Constitution modifier. If a barbarian rages under the influence of wrath, his natural fury is enhanced. The duration of the rage is increased by 3 rounds. His rage is increased by one category: rage to greater rage, greater rage to mighty rage. If the character already possesses mighty rage, the only benefit is the increased duration. Just like barbarian rage, the user is fatigued after the effects of wrath wear off.

While many warriors find wrath to be exhilarating, it is not actually addictive. However, it takes a serious toll on the user. The second time he uses wrath within a 24 hour period, he takes 5 points of damage. This damage is doubled with every subsequent use, until a full 24 hours has passed. 

Thanks Keith!

Wow that stuff is incredibly powerful. Trying to figure out how much it would cost. Wanna say more than 300 gp per dose, because a Potion of Rage is 300 gp and this is clearly better (despite the multiple-use drawback).
Planes Wanderer
5 hit points damage is not really a big drawback, especially not at higher levels. The number is low, easily healed with a cure light wounds spell. You are better off with something like being exhausted till the next extended rest and the third time going unconscious.
5 hit points damage is not really a big drawback, especially not at higher levels. The number is low, easily healed with a cure light wounds spell. You are better off with something like being exhausted till the next extended rest and the third time going unconscious.

Well these are 3.5 rules. In 4e, 5 hp isn't much, less than one healing surge. But in 3.5, if you lose 5 hp, they're more or less gone unless someone casts a spell or drinks a potion. Plus also, it's not just 5 hp every time, the damage increases by 5 every time. First time you take the damage is 5, second time you take 10, third 15, and so on. After a while that adds up.

I'm thinking of pricing it at 500 gp. 
Planes Wanderer
Well these are 3.5 rules. In 4e, 5 hp isn't much, less than one healing surge. But in 3.5, if you lose 5 hp, they're more or less gone unless someone casts a spell or drinks a potion. Plus also, it's not just 5 hp every time, the damage increases by 5 every time. First time you take the damage is 5, second time you take 10, third 15, and so on. After a while that adds up.

I'm thinking of pricing it at 500 gp. 

I knew you were talking about 3.5 and I stick to my point that 5 hit point damage is not much. It is at least not in any game that follows the core rules in regards to item creation and item availability, and even more so when using the lesser vigor spell. At 15 gp per charge you have those 5 hit points back at next to nothing in gold at mid-level and up. Mind you, 500 gp is not nothing and might well be prohibitive enough to the points that players start forgetting it ;) (Assuming you don't have a group into min-maxing, since if they are, every non-magical fighter will have 1 or more levels in barbarian anyway ;))
Haha, yeah, not many min-maxers at my place. Guess I have that luxury. (Also, no one knows about the vigor spells..... shhhhhhhh)

I'm waffling between 500 gp and 750.  I feel like this is basically a better version of a potion of rage. So basing it off a 3rd level spell, instead of a 2nd level spell, would make it 750 gp. But then I feel like it should have SOME discount since there is a limit the amount you can take in one day (the damage keeps getting bigger-40 damage for the 5th dose- so eventually it may kill you before you can heal it).

500 feels like a nice round number but maybe the discount is too big... You're right, the damage is pretty minimal.

Hmmm.... maybe just... 700....
Planes Wanderer
Hmmm.... maybe just... 700....

Or just make it free! Then have them discover that after the third time they use it the duration starts going down... and that after the sixth time it doesn't seem to have any effect at all... and that after they go a day or two without it, they start being automatically exhausted when they DON'T have their wrath.

THEN you charge 700. To begin with.

Of course, gnolls, minotaurs, and ogres don't suffer this withdrawal, which is why it's so popular with Daask...
Evil ;)
Oooo -winces- That's terrible.

I love it, of course. 
Planes Wanderer