Monster balancing

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've started working on a new homebrew campaign with mostly old school monsters but a few homebrewed ones as well. I was just wondering if there are any tips on balancing monsters so the encounters don't wind up underwhelming or the players just get TPKed.
I'd suggest you look in the second DM handbook if you have it, there is an entire section on creating homebrew monsters including what defenses they should have, their health etc. I'd also be tempted to use powers from other monsters of the same or similar level that fit the "flavor" of the one your making. Also makelowering their saa sure that if the monster has some sort of Ace in the hole (such as atroll's regeneration) the PCs should have a way to counter it (the aformentioned's vulnerability to fire and acid). 

Finally, I wouldn't launch into an encounter ocmposed only of homebrewed creatures, I'd suggest introducing them slowly alongside pblished monsters, and getting the PCs opinion on the monster after battle and going from there, lowering there stats if the monster is too hard or buffing them if it's a cakewalk.
As a rule of thumb a monster should get +1 CR for every 3HD it has,if it has a lot of special abilities. A "physical" monster that doesn't require Index cards to remind you of special attacks might get only +!CR per every 4 HD?

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

I've started working on a new homebrew campaign with mostly old school monsters but a few homebrewed ones as well. I was just wondering if there are any tips on balancing monsters so the encounters don't wind up underwhelming or the players just get TPKed.

Are you playing 4e?  If so, there are many resources to create balanced monsters.  One of my favorites is the "DM Cheat Sheet" by one by sly flourish (a frequent contributer to Dungeon and Dragon magazines):  slyflourish.com/master_dm_sheet.pdf  This has everything you need to create a standard monster from levels 1 - 30.  You would need to modify this for elites and solos.  See the DMG 1 & 2 and errata for this information.  He also has a monster damage generator:  slyflourish.com/dice_calculator.html and slyflourish.com/dice.html and lots of other DM advice on his site.  

There is also Asmors 4e Monster Math Cruncher:  www.asmor.com/scripts/4eMonsterMathCrunc..., but I don't remember if it has been updated to the MM3 math or not.

I also have a hombrew PDF of monster creation that uses the current design guidelines that I found online (can find the link) that I could email you.  And of course the official monster builder is probably the easiest method of making balanced monsters:  www.wizards.com/dnd/Tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new... , but you need an Insider subscription to use it.