Murder in Balur's Gate Release vs. Encounters Start Date

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
So the next season of Encounter is set to start on August 21st. Amazon lists the adventure as releasing on August 20th. Something's gonna have to give here. 
So the next season of Encounter is set to start on August 21st. Amazon lists the adventure as releasing on August 20th. Something's gonna have to give here. 

The first session should only be character generation. If you are running Encounters at a game store, then the game store should have one for you to purchase on or before the 21st.

Just curious though: how would Amazon's release date affect Encounters? Are you a player? A DM?

I am a DM and the adventure for the new season of Encounters is a purchased adventure, unlike all of the previous seasons were we were provided adventures for free. Since the adventure for this season is purchased, we the DM's, are subject to the release date. In the past, our FLGS was sent the adventure with enough time to prepare for the season. One day is not enough time. Yes the first week is usually character creation, but it's still cutting it very close considering shipping time.
it's still cutting it very close considering shipping time.

Gaming stores typically have copies in store before Amazon's release dates (so shipping time shouldn't matter here). At worst, you pick up the adventure on the character creation day, still allowing you a week of prep to run the first part of the adventure.

Note: if you have commited to running this in a store, then the store should probably be providing you some sort of discount (so that an Amazon purchase isn't preferable).
Stores usually get DnD books 11 days before the Amazon release.

So Friday, August 9 is likely at retailers hosting Encounters.

They should also have the Game Day stuff around the same time. 
Any word on the actual plot of the adventure? Or are we still just going off of the "something to do with Bhaal, maybe" scuttlebutt?

Jul 10, 2013 -- 6:43PM, Spykes wrote:

The first session should only be character generation. If you are running Encounters at a game store, then the game store should have one for you to purchase on or before the 21st.

Just curious though: how would Amazon's release date affect Encounters? Are you a player? A DM?

But the launch event for the encounters is August 17th. I believe that week 0 is the Wednesday before the launch event. I know that my group just did encounter 6 this week, which leaves 2 Wednesdays left and nothing for the 14th, so we are using the 14th as the 0 week, that way everyone will be prepared for the launch event.

Either way, as others have said the actual stores get their copies in earlier. I have mine ordered but am not sure on the release date
My FLGS is doing the character creation / table assignment / introduction on the 17th with the first week on the 21st.
Matt Sernett got his author's copy of Murder In Baldur's Gate and shared a a photo of the book and DM screen:

@
Sernett

Got my author copies of Murder in Baldur's Gate today! It looks awesome! #ForgottenRealms #DnD pic.twitter.com/esXVdK0pWw

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

The adventure is gorgeous with DM screen maps and more add ons...

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Matt Sernett posted more picture of Murder in Baldur'sGate on Twitter;

@Sernett Showed Murder in Baldur's Gate to @helensernett. She got sucked in by Greenwood's prose about nightlife there.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

My encounters store has the module. They are refusing to sell it to me until the 20th. I have infomed them that the encounters session on the 21st will be cancelled as a result of this. The store does not want to risk losing thier magic tournament sanction as a result of an early sale of a d&d product.

Not much I can do about this. I sometimes think that the D&D people at wotc do not talk to each other at all.

bladur's gate looks good but now there will be no encounters for 2 weeks. That's more than enough time for my more casual players to find another activity. Yes - i know there is the special launch weekend event but that's not for either the 14th or the 21st.

i will just take the weeks off and hope we get the players back.

I have heard that this adventure contains no monster statistics at all, nor does it have any real encounter maps. Can anyone confirm this?
I can, unfortuneately, confirm both those statements.

no monsters - although they are available as a download.

no maps. Perhaps the interns were too busy.

what is there is very nice. Cudos to the team on great fluff.

what s missing is critical. 
If the adventure is supposed to be "edition agnostic" and playable with 3.X, 4E, and Next how could they've included three versions of the stats in the actual book? I'd always just assumed the stats would provided in some supplemental or online way.

No maps at all is a little trickier, but I'm fairly comfortable with being able make/find my own.
Here in Australia, the release date was the 20th and the Wednesday night was the 20th. The stores got the copy of the module on the 20th. (Just barely as a number of
the stores didn't know they had to order the module as stock)

So the DM's had no prep time and a bit of a shock for us running this as a 4th Ed, that we had no "Encounter maps" available, tokens etc for our new DMs.

Also a number of stores didn't receive Encounters pack so nothing to hand out either.

Not a great start to the season, especially with the prep time and organisation this season requires and the organisers/players have to pay for the module as the stores
aren't covering the cost.

I'm in New Zealand and I work for a store that has been up until now running 2 to 3 groups a week with Encounters. We didn't get the kits until 2 weeks after launch so missed the Games Day. We still don't have the main book for this, so we have had to cancel our Murder in Balder's Gate Encounters and just run old Encounters stuff. And we still have no eta on when it will arrive in the country. For some of our players who are new this has been ok cause they haven't played some of the older Encounters and Lair Assault stuff. But for our regulars who turn up every week they have already played everything. This makes planning our store DnD events rather hard and our numbers have started dropping due to this. Not to mention players can now "find" copies of the game module online and know all the secrets and mess up all the mystery of not knowing what's coming up. If this is how the next Encounters is also going to run we might have to flag our whole weekly programme due to not having the materials again.

Please bring back sending the game module with the kits to stores ahead of time and having the game a mystery.