Alternative Sealed Builds [Why you M8s should be giving Magic your $$$ for more Sealed Slots]

309 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright, so I realized when I began typing this that it doesn't actually support the whole 'you don't need murders to win' arguement, so I'm going to post two decks. Both of which I'd consider slightly off kilter and alternate win conditiony.

'The Cycle'

This B/U deck is all about complete control over the board state. Nothing happens unless I say it can style. By a wide margin my highest win ratio deck, it is designed to cycle through my entire library at least once before I am likely to win. The massive amounts of draw and tutor allow me to keep stocked with control the entire game. Survive to 10 mana is the name of the game, at which point I will likely be taking two-three turns for every one of my opponents via Archaeomancer, Time Warp and Sleep. Recycling of my library when Ive drawn through most of my land and have either a Mind Spring or Diabolic Revelation left over. Shuffle the grave into a new library with nill land and refil my hand with all live cards. Rinse repeat until I get the Grave Titan to stick.

It is ridiculous how well this build works. Even against mirror and recur decks.

7 Island 7 Swamp 2 Terramorphic Expanse

1x Elixir of Immortality
2x Unsummon
3x Essence Scatter
2x Mind Spring
1x Frost Breath
5x Murder
2x Divination
2x Assassinate
2x Archaeomancer
2x Sleep
1x Time Warp
1x Diabolic Revelation
1x Grave Titan

Stupid and mean, I know.

Ok, this one is called 'Idolotry'... pretty obvious what it does. Note the lack of black kill spells.

2x Tormented Soul
4x Striking Sliver
1x Ravenous Rats
2x Young Pyromancer
2x Jinxed Idol
1x Volcanic Geyser
1x Regathan Firecat
3x Blur Sliver
1x Flames of the Firebrand
1x Act of Treason
2x Gravedigger
1x Diabolic Tutor
1x Scourge of Valkas
1x Rise from the Grave

Also got a door deck that has pulled out some wins, and a U/R/G deck with all kinds of zany things happening that don't make sense... a lot of fun though, Tricks of the Trade + Swiftfoot Boots + Firewing Phoenix or Dungrove Elder... ewwww.

LOL at winning without creatures. That is insane dude. I love it.

I would probably make your G/W deck mono green. 3x Dungrove and 3x oakenform? Turn 3 hexproof, turn 4 oakenform...Throw in the advocate the beast, thee crumbling colossus, and the oakenforms. Would make your Dungrove Elders bigger quicker too not messing around with white mana...only trouble you would have is probably with small deathtouch creatures, you only have 1x hunt the week and not a lot of trample damage coming thrugh....

I tried it, but I didn't like it as much. It works, yes, but I find those white protection spells come in handy more often than the green pump spells.

Again, play styles and all that.
Lol those damn stave offs!!!
NimNams 2014 DoTP Invitational Sealed Tournament Champion - Undefeated... 'merica. eyePad GC tag: increasing aperture (formerly: uglywagon)
Alright, so I realized when I began typing this that it doesn't actually support the whole 'you don't need murders to win' arguement, so I'm going to post two decks. Both of which I'd consider slightly off kilter and alternate win conditiony.

'The Cycle'

This B/U deck is all about complete control over the board state. Nothing happens unless I say it can style. By a wide margin my highest win ratio deck, it is designed to cycle through my entire library at least once before I am likely to win. The massive amounts of draw and tutor allow me to keep stocked with control the entire game. Survive to 10 mana is the name of the game, at which point I will likely be taking two-three turns for every one of my opponents via Archaeomancer, Time Warp and Sleep. Recycling of my library when Ive drawn through most of my land and have either a Mind Spring or Diabolic Revelation left over. Shuffle the grave into a new library with nill land and refil my hand with all live cards. Rinse repeat until I get the Grave Titan to stick.

It is ridiculous how well this build works. Even against mirror and recur decks.

7 Island 7 Swamp 2 Terramorphic Expanse

1x Elixir of Immortality
2x Unsummon
3x Essence Scatter
2x Mind Spring
1x Frost Breath
5x Murder
2x Divination
2x Assassinate
2x Archaeomancer
2x Sleep
1x Time Warp
1x Diabolic Revelation
1x Grave Titan

Stupid and mean, I know.

Ok, this one is called 'Idolotry'... pretty obvious what it does. Note the lack of black kill spells.

2x Tormented Soul
4x Striking Sliver
1x Ravenous Rats
2x Young Pyromancer
2x Jinxed Idol
1x Volcanic Geyser
1x Regathan Firecat
3x Blur Sliver
1x Flames of the Firebrand
1x Act of Treason
2x Gravedigger
1x Diabolic Tutor
1x Scourge of Valkas
1x Rise from the Grave

Also got a door deck that has pulled out some wins, and a U/R/G deck with all kinds of zany things happening that don't make sense... a lot of fun though, Tricks of the Trade + Swiftfoot Boots + Firewing Phoenix or Dungrove Elder... ewwww.

LOL at winning without creatures. That is insane dude. I love it.

Thanks Killa, I wish I could make an effective land destruction deck like yours.
NimNams 2014 DoTP Invitational Sealed Tournament Champion - Undefeated... 'merica. eyePad GC tag: increasing aperture (formerly: uglywagon)

I have a pool with 5x stave off....I should build a deck around it...

FMA got me thinking about Kite Shield....it can work in a land destruction build because your creature might live through the event. But what about with black?

I have 4x Deadly Scorpion and a Kite Shield. Ground Forces simply aren't getting in against that.... a 1/6 scorpion with deathtouch, this build has a mind spring and 3x switcharoo and one archaeomancer as well...

Or even a build with 4x deadly recluse....a kite shield would shut down the wwhole game for a while... 

FMA got me thinking about Kite Shield....it can work in a land destruction build because your creature might live through the event. But what about with black?

I have 4x Deadly Scorpion and a Kite Shield. Ground Forces simply aren't getting in against that.... a 1/6 scorpion with deathtouch, this build has a mind spring and 3x switcharoo and one archaeomancer as well...

Stave off is one of the most undervalued cards in the pool. People bitch about 'I don't have any murders '  when Stave offs are devastating to a removal heavy deck. I'm really glad they're in the pool. 
Adding in my Pyromancers buil to the OP...

I have a similar one.. Pyromancers, bounce, Freeze, Burn, Condors, Archeo.. it does alright, but it's not reliable.  It'd be better with more than 2 Pyromancers I think, because so much revolves around them.  But hey, it can win with just weenies and lots of freeze, so

Stave off is one of the most undervalued cards in the pool. People bitch about 'I don't have any murders '  when Stave offs are devastating to a removal heavy deck. I'm really glad they're in the pool. 

I agree, it does so much. Makes a creature unblockable for a turn, makes it a fog bank for a turn, removes enchantments from creatures, prevents your creatures from being murdered, hunted, switcharood, unsummoned, prevents enemy creatures from being pumped, etc... Very useful card.
3 more builds i might add to the list...

Recycling Creatures
Probably not really alternative but a few archaeos, gravediggers, rise fromthe grave and unsummons mean you can keep replenishing creatures....add in a switcharoo/clone and this build can be quite nasty!

Panoptic Mirror Homage build.
Time warp, couple of sleeps, archaeomancers and unsummons...with the right cards and enough control in the late game you can take 2-3 turns in a row and use a sleep as well giving you basically 4 out of 5 turns... 

Turn x:  Sleep Swing for Damage/Card draw
Turn X+1: Swing Again: Archaemancer Sleep, Cast again or wait a turn if not at 8 mana
Turn X+3 Timewarp -- Swing again, unsummon Archaemancer
Turn X+4 Recast Archaemancer and get either Sleep or Timewarp back...

A Build for Scholars and Gentlemen [aka the Draw build]
Conan once said that the purpose of life is "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." While it is true that a Turn 2 rampant growth, turn 3 rampant growth and hex boots and turn 4 Grave Titan is ideal, we live in less barbaric times and while dominating the opposition is fun, it isn't always everything and can become quite boring.  

This build will have you throw in some burn (Flames, shocks, geysers), lots of stall (I have 4x recluse and my their newfound friend the kiteshield, and I run three colors) and most importantly,  2x Earthquake and my friends, there shall be no victor.

An image of my draw build in action today...I used a divination and my mind spring 3x this game....I was at zero cards.....so I had to launch the 13 mana earthquake.....my second earth quake was the very last card I drew too...

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/b2kid7L.jpg)

Deck would be much more competitive with 2x geyser.... in addition to the other burn or even a fire servant...

I used my rataroo discard build to land two wins as well but that opponent was weak, had no early game and mana trouble... 
On average, how many slots did you guys buy before you got a good build that you play often?

2 + 2 = fish

On average, how many slots did you guys buy before you got a good build that you play often?

I don't even play my "good" textbook builds. I prefer the builds  I am listing in here...I'd say out of 20 slots I could make 4-5 really good tier 1 decks..., 3 or 4 are kind of meh all around and 10 are good for doing builds like I am doing in here. 

I prefer synergy, theme and a great mana curve to dropping bombs...
I think it's going to be different for each person. For me, it took one. For others, it might be more.

But like Killa says, I don't play my best pool all that often. I prefer playing more challenging builds, like the U/W build I posted earlier, my Door to Nothingness deck, or my new Jinxed Idol deck. Wins with those are way more satisfying, and there's nothing like them in the constructed stuff.
I'll post my favorite alternate build. It looks like a pile of cards, but it works with amazing consistency. It forces you to think about most moves so I really enjoy playing it. I don't play it over the network often though because I feel a little dirty doing it.

3 plains, 2 Islands, 4 swamps, 2 mountains, 3 Forests
3 x Terramorphic Expanse

1 x brittle effigy
1 x elixir of immortality
2 x shock
1 x fog
1 x earthquake
2 x pacifism
1 x sign in blood
3 x rampant growth
1 x murder
1 x glimpse the future
1 x divination
1 x divine offering
1 x assassinate
1 x day of judgement
1 x belltower sphinx
2 x ring of three wishes
2 x public execution
1 x rune scarred demon

The deck wins through attrition, so it can finish with its two fliers, direct damage or by decking the opponent after it eliminates all threats and replenishes itself.  The only card that doesn't support the cycling component is the effigy, but it's needed for some unique threats. The Terramorphic expanses and rampant growths aren't that useful in the second (or third) cycles, but at that point you can usually afford the dead draws since you have your opponent locked down.
3 rampant growth and 3 teramorphic expanse....you lucky devil you!

I have a few decks with the ring but I thought it was a bit expense, five to cast, five to use.....seems slow.... 

Looking at your land I would swear I was playing a door deck if you were in my lobby.... 
How do you guys approach building decks with more than two colours? I want to try it out, but I'm afraid I'll lose any semblance of consistency. Are Terramorphic Expanses an absolute must to even attempt it? How do you decide which colours get an even split and which are just splashed (if any)?
How do you guys approach building decks with more than two colours? I want to try it out, but I'm afraid I'll lose any semblance of consistency. Are Terramorphic Expanses an absolute must to even attempt it? How do you decide which colours get an even split and which are just splashed (if any)?

I have one or two three color decks....but yes, I think without teramorphic expanses you are going to have a hand with dead cards more than you like...for me, unless the mana curve is real low I am going 18 lands and hopefully 3 of them are teramorphic expanses...have to be careful on the inclusion of early double color cards (fiend hunter, white knight, balck knight, sign in blood, etc).  To me if I am avoiding early double color cards I can go 5-5-5 and 3x expanses or 6-5-4 in order of the cards I have the most of one color...my picture above is a three color deck...blue/red and green ....that specific game i had 3 green and two blue land out...too me 7 turns to get a red card out and be able to use a shock/flames of the firebrand....also, a deck with some draw will help (e.g. divination, mind spring--yes MS is doubleecolored but its too good not to include)...
3 rampant growth and 3 teramorphic expanse....you lucky devil you!

I have a few decks with the ring but I thought it was a bit expense, five to cast, five to use.....seems slow.... 

Looking at your land I would swear I was playing a door deck if you were in my lobby.... 

Yes, the growths and terramorphics were the reason I looked at a 5 color deck. After a couple of slots, I also wanted something that wasn't straight beats and the cards delivered.

The deck is slow and it takes patience to play. You can't blow your Day of Judgement too soon, but I have managed to always have it (by tutoring, not cheaty shenanigans) in the crucial turn in almost every game. After that you just gain life when needed, search for counters and chip away at your opponent. I call it grind control.

The ring helps with the late game mostly. It often searches out the elixir after a reshuffle.

And I included the divine offering precisely because of door. Although it is also nice to gain life and blow up your own spent ring before recycling! Wink
I have tried everything I could possibly think of with that one pool.  I cannot win a single game online.  And the black-white pool is even worse.  Out of 20+ games online, I have yet to win a single one, so do not call me a lucky devil.  3 growth and 3 terramorphic does not do anything if you cannot get a good curve, and I never seem to be able to get a good curve going.  For example, the good green cards I have that are actual creatures in the 3 growth build are 1 deadly recluse, 1 rumbling baloth, 1 silklash spider, and 1 [/c]acidic slime[/c].  I would have to go 3 color to begin to cope with that, and silklash conflicts severely with my other 4 color bases.

Also for some reason or another my opponents always have some response to what I have or just run me over.  Someone for example just used 5 plummet in a row on me using ring of three wishes.  How do I even begin to respond to that?

Add in 30+ games against the ai minimum per a slot and I still cannot reliably beat anyone....  I really do not understand the attraction here.  I am probably going to finish the last pool out of sheer stubbornness.

2 + 2 = fish

Also, you guys may not be using your best builds, but everyone I come across is.

2 + 2 = fish

I dont, other than 1 door to nothingness deck...i have about 20 two color and 5 mono.  If we had only 6 boosters to open i could see making more tri color decks, but with 9 i dont think its ever really optimal to do it.  Its a fun thing to do it to try some alternate style builds like in this thread though.  Yea terramorphics are pretty much a must.  I have 7 terra's in one of my slots lol, but of course couldnt make a door deck out of it.
I have tried everything I could possibly think of with that one pool.  I cannot win a single game online.  And the black-white pool is even worse.  Out of 20+ games online, I have yet to win a single one, so do not call me a lucky devil.  3 growth and 3 terramorphic does not do anything if you cannot get a good curve, and I never seem to be able to get a good curve going.  For example, the good green cards I have that are actual creatures in the 3 growth build are 1 deadly recluse, 1 rumbling baloth, 1 silklash spider, and 1 [/c]acidic slime[/c].  I would have to go 3 color to begin to cope with that, and silklash conflicts severely with my other 4 color bases.

Also for some reason or another my opponents always have some response to what I have or just run me over.  Someone for example just used 5 plummet in a row on me using ring of three wishes.  How do I even begin to respond to that?

Add in 30+ games against the ai minimum per a slot and I still cannot reliably beat anyone....  I really do not understand the attraction here.  I am probably going to finish the last pool out of sheer stubbornness.

How long have you been playing mtg for?
add me on steam =) highzenborg

Generally if I'm doing it, it's to splash one or two very good spells with one-color casting costs (Pacifism, Earthquake).  Even for that, I generally want an Expanse or two.

Currently unlocking a slot that im gonna make an u/r dragon build with

1x scourge of valkas
2x shivan dragons
2x phantasmal dragons 

Have 1 more pack to open, hopefully ill get lucky and get another valkas or a clone. 

1x scourge of valkas
2x shivan dragons
2x phantasmal dragons 

Have 1 more pack to open, hopefully ill get lucky and get another valkas or a clone. 

Nice, I've been trying to do something like this. I have one slot with 1 Valkas, 2 Shivans, 1 Phantasmal, and 1 Volcanic.

add me on steam =) highzenborg

I have been playing for 10 years, but I fail to see how important that is past the 2 year mark.  So, since this thread is about trying to get people to buy more sealed slots, let us look at one of my worse pools, and you tell me if you would be happy with it.

blue: no instants or sorceries, no creature above 1 power

black: 7 copies of sign in blood, 13 other cards, but nothing that costs more than 2 mana

red: 3 bonebreaker giant, 4 regathan firecat, 2 turn to slag, some young pyromancer, 1 of each sliver, a few goblin warpaint

green: a bunch of giant growth, a few silklash, some of that 3 mana tutor creature, and a few advocate of the beast

white: a bunch of that 1/1 flier, 4 of that 1/3 flier with vigilance; 1 warrior priest of thune, 4 pillarfield ox, 5 of those artifact destoyers for 4 mana, a ton of safe passage, no copies of honor of the pure

artifacts: 3 kite shield, 11 staffs, 3 phyrexian hulks, 1 ring of three wishes, 1 door to nothingness

There are some other cards in there, but nothing else of note and nothing with deathtouch, reach, or trample.  Does that sound like fun to you?

2 + 2 = fish

1x scourge of valkas
2x shivan dragons
2x phantasmal dragons 

Nice, I've been trying to do something like this. I have one slot with 1 Valkas, 2 Shivans, 1 Phantasmal, and 1 Volcanic.

Drew a third shivan dragon in the final pack lol
I think the packs can't be as random as they say. What are the odds of drawing that many dragons in one slot? Especially considering that the Shivans and the Scourge are rare. Likewise, I mentioned earlier that I got three Jinxed Idols in one slot, too. Really? Three?

Maybe some of them are random, but I'd be more likely to believe that there's an order of some sort to the rares. Maybe there's 100 or so possible sets we could each get, then the uncommons and commons are up to chance.
I think the packs can't be as random as they say. What are the odds of drawing that many dragons in one slot? Especially considering that the Shivans and the Scourge are rare. Likewise, I mentioned earlier that I got three Jinxed Idols in one slot, too. Really? Three?

Maybe some of them are random, but I'd be more likely to believe that there's an order of some sort to the rares. Maybe there's 100 or so possible sets we could each get, then the uncommons and commons are up to chance.

Im now on my 30th slot and have only gotten 3 of the same rare 3 times now.  Got the rune scarred demon, redirect(how dissappointing), and now the Shivan 3x. Seems 100% random to me, i haven't noticed any patterns and have no reason to believe they would code it undrandomly for some odd reason.

I have been playing for 10 years, but I fail to see how important that is past the 2 year mark.  So, since this thread is about trying to get people to buy more sealed slots, let us look at one of my worse pools, and you tell me if you would be happy with it.

blue: no instants or sorceries, no creature above 1 power

black: 7 copies of sign in blood, 13 other cards, but nothing that costs more than 2 mana

red: 3 bonebreaker giant, 4 regathan firecat, 2 turn to slag, some young pyromancer, 1 of each sliver, a few goblin warpaint

green: a bunch of giant growth, a few silklash, some of that 3 mana tutor creature, and a few advocate of the beast

white: a bunch of that 1/1 flier, 4 of that 1/3 flier with vigilance; 1 warrior priest of thune, 4 pillarfield ox, 5 of those artifact destoyers for 4 mana, a ton of safe passage, no copies of honor of the pure

artifacts: 3 kite shield, 11 staffs, 3 phyrexian hulks, 1 ring of three wishes, 1 door to nothingness

There are some other cards in there, but nothing else of note and nothing with deathtouch, reach, or trample.  Does that sound like fun to you?

ok man, I will give it to you, if this 100% true, that is a **** slot. I'd say 2 out of my 20 are pretty garbage, but the rest are totally playable in multiple different builds.

I say make a 5 color staff deck, 55 cards, win condition: stay alive until your opponent draws out. 

I'm opening the last two packs in my last slot today, still haven't seen the sphinx... Really hoping, so far no mythics in this slot.
I'm only 5 slots deep, but I haven't seen any of the Titans yet, or a Day of Judgement. In fact, there's a bunch of cards I haven't seen, even of the commons...meanwhile, every slot I get has at least three Minotaurs. Hrm.
You'll see some, not guaranteed to see one of everything.

As far as total fatties worth mentioning among 20 slots:

3x grave titans, all different slots
3x inferno titans, 2 in one slot, 1 in another
lots of runescarred demons, couple double ups
3x xathrid demons, different slots
4x archangel of thrune, different slots
4x angelic arbiter, different slots
2x scourge of valkas, different slots
3x shivan, different slots.
4x hydra that gets counters removed and doubled, two in one slot.
1x hydra that doubles the counters each turn.

0x windreader sphinx.... That makes me sad. My buddy just got done with his 20, not a single Titan. 3 or 4 sphinxs though.

various nighthaws, hippys, clones, 2/7 spiders and other value creatures in most of the slots, none with more than 2 of any guy.
I have a shivan, a xathrid demon, and an angelic arbiter in all different slots.  The arbiter has 4 4/4 for 5 mana supporters, but the other 2 are alone and kind of unusable in those slots.

2 + 2 = fish

I'm only 5 slots deep, but I haven't seen any of the Titans yet, or a Day of Judgement. In fact, there's a bunch of cards I haven't seen, even of the commons...meanwhile, every slot I get has at least three Minotaurs. Hrm.

I keep getting way more copies than I want of pillarfield ox, minotaur abomination, giant scorpion, regathan firecat, and all of the staffs.

2 + 2 = fish

Lol one of my slots has 7 pillarfield Ox's... 7, I mean wtf, over.
I have no Xathrid Demons across 20 slots
Lol one of my slots has 7 pillarfield Ox's... 7, I mean wtf, over.

Better than 5 regathan firecat and 4 pillarfield ox. Over.

2 + 2 = fish

Trade you one of mine for a Windreader Sphinx? Man that'd be cool.

(To whomever wants to say it first: No, I will not go play mtgo, it does not have what I'm looking for) 
You'll see some, not guaranteed to see one of everything.

As far as total fatties worth mentioning among 20 slots:

3x grave titans, all different slots
3x inferno titans, 2 in one slot, 1 in another
lots of runescarred demons, couple double ups
3x xathrid demons, different slots
4x archangel of thrune, different slots
4x angelic arbiter, different slots
2x scourge of valkas, different slots
3x shivan, different slots.
4x hydra that gets counters removed and doubled, two in one slot.
1x hydra that doubles the counters each turn.

0x windreader sphinx.... That makes me sad. My buddy just got done with his 20, not a single Titan. 3 or 4 sphinxs though.

various nighthaws, hippys, clones, 2/7 spiders and other value creatures in most of the slots, none with more than 2 of any guy.

How many of these 20 slots would you consider to be really good?

2 + 2 = fish

Mjack-

Heres all twenty of my slots, obviously with only color combo and general idea. If you were wondering something more specific let me know. With a couple exceptions (2, 8, 9, 10) I routinely change my builds. I have won games with every single slot, playing against competent players, save for slots 11 and 20.

1. Mono Black - discard deck, nearly no kill. Good effective cheap creatures, get my opponents hand thinned early.
2. G/B - Spiders, murders and tutor effects down low, xathrid, rune scar and grave titan up high.
3. G/W - minor removal, delay, and chumps down low, plenty of vanilla beasts and an angel with angelic destiny up high.
4. U/W/B - Esper build. Feels like esper, acts like esper. Blue is splashed.
5. Mono Blue - meh, this is another obnoxious build, but it works surprisingly well, just take one of your best blue pools and put almost all the cards in. 
6. U/G - simic-ish, obnoxious flyers, trample and pump spells, some 'tricks', and combat tricks
7. B/W - Nearly all creatures net me life or fly or both. prop to keep the army healthy.
8. R/B/U - trying to make a bolas-esq deck, its failing so far, work in progress slot.
9. U/B - my beloved 'Cycle'
10. B/G/R/W/U - door deck
11. G/W - in game bug caused me to be a pack short in this one, playable but I'm bitter.
12. R/W/B - fliers, lifelink, token gen, and some removal.
13. G/R/U - Dungroves, tricks, pheonix's, boots = lots of unblockable hexproof damage.
14. R/B - jinxed idol deck
15. B/U - creature heavy, switcheroo centric.
16. R/B - slightly izzet deck lots of draw, burn, and a few strong attack plans.
17. B/W - typical black white deck, not bad, pretty good, but boring to play.
18. B/R - two inferno titans, of course im going to play around that.
19. W/U - control/fliers/unblockable/prop.
20. R/B - meh, theres nothing in this pack I couldn't replicate in 6 other slots.

So to answer your question, 'good pool' is subjective so all I can say is;

That I don't often play with #2 and #9 because they really are pretty gross, and as Ive mentioned before, I usually play with people from here or my buddies I know in person.

20 and 11 are the only slots I would say do not or at least to this point have not gotten play time.

The rest I cycle through regularly. 13 is actually one of my favorite builds, so is the esper. They're all playable to one extent or another, but I really don't care about my win ratio either. If I had to guess, I do alright with all of them.