Alternative Sealed Builds [Why you M8s should be giving Magic your $$$ for more Sealed Slots]

309 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am enjoying sealed more than 1v1 at this point and while I understand the pool is limited and its not everyone's cup of tea, there is a remarkable amount of diversity in sealed play. You never know what an opponent is going to play, how many copies of various cards he may or may not have, etc. I have found a few builds which liven things up even more. They might not be Tier 1 decks with 90% win ratios but they are a lot of fun....

Build 1 : Land Smashing 

Show
Remember Erratic Portal and Acidic Slime from 2013? This is new to me but I managed to unlock a build with 3x Tectonic Rift, 1x Acidic Slime and 1x Destructive Force today. Two copies of Destructive Force would be ideal but its still doable with one if you have alternate ways to win...The strategy is to include all copies of Rampant Growth and about 20x Land in your deck. You generally should not be missing a land drop through 6 and possibly might be getting ahead while getting to the Destructive Force. Remember that you ecounter a lot of duel colored decks in this game, so while its not a Tier 1 deck, if you focus on one color you can cripple an opponent without the destructive force. If you get the destructive force out, you will have a decided advantage in that your deck is stacked with lands and you should already be ahead....

Alternate ways to win: This is important because you won't always get your destructive force in a game if you only have one copy. I am fortunate enough to have a Volcanic Geyser, Earthquake, 2x Overwhelming Stampede, 1x Enlarge. I also have a Firewing Phoenix which has tons of Synergy with this deck. Once I destroy it, I can just keep calling it back giving me card advantage and an evasive creature to boot. Tectonic Rift is generally a valuable and overlooked card in and of itself in that it allows your mobile infantry to swing in for the win unimpeded....

Edited to Add: FMA has a build with 3x Destructive Force and made a good recomendation. Kite Shield which is generally not a card people play a lot, may allow any creatures you have on board to survuve the destruction...Also, the Blue/Red combo works as well since a Scroll Thief with a KiteShield on it survives the Destructive Force and lands you a ton of cards on an empty board.....Archaeomancers can recycle Rifts/Destructive force if  you need another one for some reason...and also Blue gives you card advantage and some god stall...

Build 2 : Door to Nowhere

Show
Few victories are as sweet as the first time your Door to Nothingness resolves.....basic strategy is simple, stall until you get what you need. Land will be about 18 cards.... 3 of each color and 4x the two decks you have most playable cards. You should include Rampant Growth and Teramorphic Expanse to get the land you need. It is imperative to have some card draw. My door deck has 2x Mind Spring which is awesome and 1x Diabolic Revelation which is used to grab what you need such as some stall cards, the last 2 lands and the door itself, etc.

You want stall cards. Fog Bank, creatures with deathtouch like Deadly Recluse, Pacifism, Fog, Safe Passage and Archaeomancer to get them back. Include all copies of Fog, Safe Passage and Archaemancers. CAUTION: you have to be careful of cards such as Murder and [/c]Fiend Hunter[/c]. You may only have 3 or 4 black mana in your pool of 40 cards, so including those 4x murder might be dead weight. In the case of your star cards like diabolic revelations, archaemancer an mindd spring, its an acceptable risk. Also, if you do have a Day of Judgment, its probably worth it. An Elixir of Immortality is probably wise as well in case you have to shuffle your graveyard back into your library to win.

Don't use your rampants or teramorphics too early unless you need them to play spells. You don't want to fetch a blue lamnd with a teramorphic expanse Turn 1 only to draw two blue lands turn 3 and 5....let it sit out there on the board unless you need a color to play a spell...

Build 3 : Jinxed Idol

Show
If you've never been in a creature sacrificing battle or a jinxed idol race, you are missing out on a lot....Its really a lot of fun to see an opponeent scramblee....tends to take them by surprise.....In order to net a high win/loss ratio a true jinked idol build needs multiple copies of the artifact to work. I was lucky enough to land a deck with 3 of them. The strategy is simple: Build a deck with as many cheap creatures as you can. You want a low mana curve and creatures you can cast and sacrifice. But if you don't have multiple copies, if you don't draw it early you have a deck with a bunch of weenies.

Deck Building is key in a jinxed idol build. You want 1) card draw, 2) lots of cheap creatures, 3) creatures that give you card advantage, 4) Hexproof boots. Creatues that give you card advantage include Gravedigger and Roc Egg. If you have a feww Gravediggers, they can just keep recycling and drawing each other out of the graveyard gving you card advantage. Blood Hunter Bat is another nice creature in that it provides you with idol fodder and a 4 life swing. Thee boots are important because if you have boots out there and the board is empty as it often is in an idol race, you can swing with the creatures you cast before sacrificing them. Distess and Ravenous Rat  work nicely as well. Make your opponent lose cards while you have more idol fodder. 

Alternative Idol Deck, some good burn spells will work with a jinxed idol buildd. 1x Earthquake, 2x Volcanic Geyser, 3x Jinxed Idol and a bunch of weenies like Striking Sliver, Young Pyromancer, Molten Birth, etc.....As an aside you can Act o Treason a creature and then sacrificetheir creature o give them a jinxed idol...

Build 4: Need for Speed -- Aggro Slivers 

Show
This is simple, if you have a bunch of Striking Sliver[/v], [c]Predatory Sliver  and Blur Sliver, prepar youself for 4 and 5 turn wins. My record is turn 5 a few times. 

Turn 1 Striking Sliver
Turn 2 Predatory Sliver [Swing for 2 -- 18 life left]
Turrn 3 Blur Sliver [Swing for 7 --11 life left]
Turn 4 Predatory Sliver  [Swing for 13 -- Dead]

This deck can run out of gas fast though, so a few burn spells (earthquake, geyser), Act of Treason, Green enlargements (Giant Growth, [Might of Oaks[/c], Enlarge etc....will be useful.... I'dd love to see a Red-Green-White Slivers build but that seems to require too much lucky draw in the Sealed Deck manager...

Other ways to win on turn 5 include Overwhelming Stampede

Turn 1 Land
Turn 2 Predatory Sliver 
Turn 3 Advocate the beast [Swing for 2 -- 18 life left] 
Turn 4 Rummaging baloth  [Swing for 4 -- 16 life left -- pump beast to 5/5]
Turn 5  Overwheling Stampede [Swing for 26 -- Dead]

Might of Oaks and [/c] Enlarge[/c] would work as well on turn 5...

Build 5: Pyromagicians

Show
Playing a Young Pyromancer deck is a lot of fun for me. I have a deck with 3x Young Pyromancer but I don't have a lot of "burn" or Slivers with it with it. The goal is to get out a bunch of weenies and build them up. The Pyromancer keeps creating 1/1 creatures.... The card draw and archaeomancer allow 2x Act of Treason and 3x Frost Chill to do their thing. 

1x Unsummon, 1x Shock, 1x Earthquake (a finisher), 3x Goblin Shortcutter (this is a damage race), 1x Turn to Frog, 2x Essence Scatter, 1x Mind Spring, 3x Scroll Thief, 1x Blur Sliver, 3x Frost breath, 1x Slaughter Cry, 2x Divination, 2x Act of Treason, 1x Archaeomancer

My "bomb" is the 4 mana Archaeomancer used to grab any instant I might need again. I might even sub him out for a trained condor.... Very low mana curve, with 10x 2 drops and 12x 3 drops. I run 42 cards and 16 land...Its certainly going to run into some opponents that will roll over it, but its a lot of fun to play. The sorceries keep creating additional bodies to swing with with a pyromancer out...

I also have 4x Predatory Sliver in Green in this pool but the lack of Red Slivers makes them less useful, I would also like some more burn in this deck, I'd win more games if I had another earthqauke or volcanic geyser....

Build 6: Ugly Wagons 1 Creature Build

Show
Slow control deck that wins with a single creature....I'll let him describe his own masterpiece:

'The Cycle'

This B/U deck is all about complete control over the board state. Nothing happens unless I say it can style. By a wide margin my highest win ratio deck, it is designed to cycle through my entire library at least once before I am likely to win. The massive amounts of draw and tutor allow me to keep stocked with control the entire game. Survive to 10 mana is the name of the game, at which point I will likely be taking two-three turns for every one of my opponents via Archaeomancer, Time Warp and Sleep. Recycling of my library when Ive drawn through most of my land and have either a Mind Spring or Diabolic Revelation left over. Shuffle the grave into a new library with nill land and refil my hand with all live cards. Rinse repeat until I get the Grave Titan to stick. 

It is ridiculous how well this build works. Even against mirror and recur decks. 

7 Island 7 Swamp 2 Terramorphic Expanse

1x Elixir of Immortality
2x Unsummon
3x Essence Scatter
2x Mind Spring
1x Frost Breath
5x Murder
2x Divination
2x Assassinate
2x Archaeomancer
2x Sleep
1x Time Warp
1x Diabolic Revelation
1x Grave Titan

Build 7: fma's Combined Idol/Slivers/Pyromancer/Burn deck

Show
This nice little deck comnbines a lot of the other deck types mentioned above, jinxed idol with weenies, 2x youn pyromancer, some burn and a good pool of slivers. The Volcanic geysers are finishers and that Firewing Phoenix is an awesome card in this meta...

Build 8: Discard Deck or Rataroo... 

Show
Tough to get a good discard deck going but if you have the tools:

2 Liliana Specter
3-4 Ravenous Rat
2x Distress
2-3x Grave DiggerGrave Diggers

Distress should workswell with Rise from the Grave as well if have a few copies...

This might not be enough to win though...I made a deck calld "Rataroo" that combined these cards with Unsummons, Archaemancers and Switcharoo. Make your opponents discard their cards, possibly Rise them, and the creatures they do get out, trade them for your Rats. Alternatively, unsummon and recast the rats...or use them as blockers and get them back with gravediggers. Not a Tier 1 deck but a refreshing change if you want something different.Make sure you have card draw in there for blue, otherwise trading a rat for card is close to a wash (you both lose a card) but probably slightly in your favor...

Build 9: Mid-Range [Flier] Build

Show
Couple of Specters, Bloodhunter bats, Vampire Nighthawks, grave Diggers and Trained Condors make a nasty little deck that doesn't require bombs to win if you have the right little tricks to go with it: frost chill, sleep, essence scatter, spore frog, murder, sleep, Archaemancers to reclycle them...

Frost chill is undervalued in this meta...letting Specters and Scroll thiefs pass through in this build gives you huge card advantage. 

Alternatively, another good Mid-range build will utilizes 3 or more masters of Diversion. Possibly with black: grave diggers, vampire nighthaw, specters, etc...a couple of Masters of Diversion on board is havoc for an opponent...

Build 10: Burn baby Burn

Show
Good burn decks just require a good draw. You will probably need multiple geysers, a few flames, shocks, and an earthquake and a fire-servant that can be made to stick wouldn't hurt. A Firrewing phoenix wouldn't hurt either. Best method is LOTS and LOTS of stall as you get your manaa count high...lacking enough burn, Archaemancers and Blue can be used to give you card advantage and to return the geysers to your hand...[/Spoiler

Build 11: Mill?

Show
I still haven't found a good build used to win by draining enemies of their cards. I don't know if its possible. Closest I can come is one deck with 3x Belltower Sphinx If I were to pump an enemy creature with Might of Oaks or Giant Growth  it would mill extra cards If so a deck with enough stall, Sphinx and some Might of Oaks could be used to mill...Probably be better off with an indestructibility on the Sphinx though.....

Alternatively just a deck with tons and tons of stall ,card draw and an elixir could work. Day of Judgment, archaemancers, unsummons, Elixir, Mind springs, Safe Passages, pacifismms, Essence Scatters, etc....Just control the board and get a huge card advantage on your opponent and reshguffle your deck as needed with the elixir until the run out of cards. If you have a couple of belltower sphinx, throw them in!

Build 12:  Recycling Creatures/ Graveyard Manipulation/Theft 

Show
Probably not really alternative but a few archaeos, gravediggers, 2x rise from the grave, grim return, unsummons and a few murders,  mean you can keep perpetually replenishing creatures....add in a switcharoo/clone and this build can be quite nasty! Or you can throw in a jinxed idol if you have one. You can also add in some discard (distress into rise from the grave, or a belltower sphinx, Liliana's specter or even the lowly ravenous rat...

Switcharoos work great as well...

Build 13: Panoptic Mirror Homage build.

Show
Time warp, couple of sleeps, archaeomancers and unsummons...with the right cards and enough control in the late game you can take 2-3 turns in a row and use a sleep as well giving you basically 4 out of 5 turns... 

Turn x:  Sleep Swing for Damage/Card draw
Turn X+1: Swing Again: Archaemancer Sleep, Cast again or wait a turn if not at 8 mana
Turn X+3 Timewarp -- Swing again, unsummon Archaemancer
Turn X+4 Recast Archaemancer and get either Sleep or Timewarp back...

Build 14: A Build for Scholars and Gentlemen [aka the Draw build]

Show
Conan once said that the purpose of life is "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." While it is true that a Turn 2 rampant growth, turn 3 rampant growth and hex boots and turn 4 Grave Titan is ideal, we live in less barbaric times and while dominating the opposition is fun, it isn't always everything and can become quite boring.  

This build will have you throw in some burn (Flames, shocks, geysers), lots of stall (I have 4x recluse and my their newfound friend the kiteshield, and I run three colors) and most importantly,  2x Earthquake and my friends, there shall be no victor.

An image of my draw build in action today...I used a divination and my mind spring 3x this game....I was at zero cards.....so I had to launch the 13 mana earthquake.....my second earth quake was the very last card I drew too...

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/b2kid7L.jpg)

Sometimes as a novelty, playing for a draw mixes things up and a few earthquakes and some stall is the way to go for this

Every time I buy a sealed slot, I get screwed.  Why should i buy more?  Also, the help threads are not helping me make anything out of my decks either......

2 + 2 = fish

How many decks do you have? To be honest, I am not a fan of your posted list. I probably would not use it that much....it can certainly win games but it looks a little "meh" to me. I can't blame you for being upset with it. But White splashed with something else is definitely your best bet there.  For me though, I'd write the slot off and do something stupid with it like RGU or RU....try to win via the Cat and cheap creatures with your geyser, earthquake and archaemancers and unsummons to get them back....frost chills, sleep, etc... It just looks like you have okay cards in all colors but nothing solid to make one deck or two shine together.... I mean if you had a switcharoo it would be blue all day...White is the strongest though.

Post a few more pools. We will look at them.
Good thread. I was thinking about a land destruction deck that involved some tectonic rift's with archaeomancer's as well as acidic slime and unsummon's. Could be fun, but it might be too slow to be effective, and obviously restricted by your pool like any other deck.

For a mill deck you could possibly pull it off with a couple sphinx's and a lot of defense (fog bank, fogs, lifegain, board wipes) + some elixirs.

add me on steam =) highzenborg
Creatures assign damage equal to their power.
As long as they don't have trample, all of it will hit your Belltower Sphinx.
Good thread. I was thinking about a land destruction deck that involved some tectonic rift's with archaeomancer's as well as acidic slime and unsummon's. Could be fun, but it might be too slow to be effective, and obviously restricted by your pool like any other deck.

For a mill deck you could possibly pull it off with a couple sphinx's and a lot of defense (fog bank, fogs, lifegain, board wipes) + some elixirs.

I have a UGB land destruction deck as well (2xacidic slime, 2xclone, 2xgravedigger, 2xarchaeomancer, and 2xrise from the grave and 4xunsummon.  I actually wasn't intending to make it land destruction initially more just endless creature recursion but it sortuv just started winning that way and so I tuned it slightly more to that strength and it seems to run a little better even than the pools I've had with 4-5 tectonic rift and/or 1-2destructive force since it's got more in the way of blockers to wait them out.

I need to fine-tune it and remove a coloror two but I just built a Quad-Colored G-U-B-W mill deck...

4x plains
6x island
3x swamp
3x forest
3x teramorphic expanse

3x belltower Sphinx  -- for the milling
2x Giant Growth 1x Might of Oaks to add to the milling--splashing green
2x Condemn and 1x Day of Judment   -- Splashing White for Stall....I might be able to cut this color...
1x Grim Return, 1x Grave Digger, !x Rise from the Gave -- Splashing black to keep reproducing Sphinxs...
Blue cards for stall -- Void Stalker --Fog bank --Redirect --Frost Breath 2x Divination--Sleep, Dijinn of Wishes 
2x Archaemancer....used to get the Might of Oaks back or the DoJ or whatever....

I am probably going to get rolled but I'll give it a shot,... I have a couple of recluses in green....Can get rid of the white and do that....makes the mana situation better....Splash black and green and run blue heavy deck with 3x teramorphic expanse...

I have a UGB land destruction deck as well (2xacidic slime, 2xclone, 2xgravedigger, 2xarchaeomancer, and 2xrise from the grave and 4xunsummon.  I actually wasn't intending to make it land destruction initially more just endless creature recursion but it sortuv just started winning that way and so I tuned it slightly more to that strength and it seems to run a little better even than the pools I've had with 4-5 tectonic rift and/or 1-2destructive force since it's got more in the way of blockers to wait them out.

I think its the deathtouch. Great stall...
Sealed is all about the luck of the cards you get. If someone gets 5 murders in a deck yet I don't get 1, there is something wrong there.
How many decks do you have? To be honest, I am not a fan of your posted list. I probably would not use it that much....it can certainly win games but it looks a little "meh" to me. I can't blame you for being upset with it. But White splashed with something else is definitely your best bet there.  For me though, I'd write the slot off and do something stupid with it like RGU or RU....try to win via the Cat and cheap creatures with your geyser, earthquake and archaemancers and unsummons to get them back....frost chills, sleep, etc... It just looks like you have okay cards in all colors but nothing solid to make one deck or two shine together.... I mean if you had a switcharoo it would be blue all day...White is the strongest though.

Post a few more pools. We will look at them.

There I posted another one in the appropriate thread.

2 + 2 = fish

Sealed is all about the luck of the cards you get. If someone gets 5 murders in a deck yet I don't get 1, there is something wrong there.

If you think a pool is good or bad based on the number of Murders it has, you're focusing way too intently on shoehorning in one strategy instead of running with the opportunities each pool gives you.

If you think a pool is good or bad based on the number of Murders it has, you're focusing way too intently on shoehorning in one strategy instead of running with the opportunities each pool gives you.

Again, Weasel is spot on. As our sealed tourney is all but over I am gonna use this thread to post the deck I'm most proud of... Gotta get the laptop out... Goin' to the moon, brb...

NimNams 2014 DoTP Invitational Sealed Tournament Champion - Undefeated... 'merica. eyePad GC tag: increasing aperture (formerly: uglywagon)
Alright, so I realized when I began typing this that it doesn't actually support the whole 'you don't need murders to win' arguement, so I'm going to post two decks. Both of which I'd consider slightly off kilter and alternate win conditiony.

'The Cycle'

This B/U deck is all about complete control over the board state. Nothing happens unless I say it can style. By a wide margin my highest win ratio deck, it is designed to cycle through my entire library at least once before I am likely to win. The massive amounts of draw and tutor allow me to keep stocked with control the entire game. Survive to 10 mana is the name of the game, at which point I will likely be taking two-three turns for every one of my opponents via Archaeomancer, Time Warp and Sleep. Recycling of my library when Ive drawn through most of my land and have either a Mind Spring or Diabolic Revelation left over. Shuffle the grave into a new library with nill land and refil my hand with all live cards. Rinse repeat until I get the Grave Titan to stick.

It is ridiculous how well this build works. Even against mirror and recur decks.

7 Island 7 Swamp 2 Terramorphic Expanse

1x Elixir of Immortality
2x Unsummon
3x Essence Scatter
2x Mind Spring
1x Frost Breath
5x Murder
2x Divination
2x Assassinate
2x Archaeomancer
2x Sleep
1x Time Warp
1x Diabolic Revelation
1x Grave Titan

Stupid and mean, I know.

Ok, this one is called 'Idolotry'... pretty obvious what it does. Note the lack of black kill spells.

2x Tormented Soul
4x Striking Sliver
1x Ravenous Rats
2x Young Pyromancer
2x Jinxed Idol
1x Volcanic Geyser
1x Regathan Firecat
3x Blur Sliver
1x Flames of the Firebrand
1x Act of Treason
2x Gravedigger
1x Diabolic Tutor
1x Scourge of Valkas
1x Rise from the Grave

Also got a door deck that has pulled out some wins, and a U/R/G deck with all kinds of zany things happening that don't make sense... a lot of fun though, Tricks of the Trade + Swiftfoot Boots + Firewing Phoenix or Dungrove Elder... ewwww.
NimNams 2014 DoTP Invitational Sealed Tournament Champion - Undefeated... 'merica. eyePad GC tag: increasing aperture (formerly: uglywagon)
I wouldn't call that first deck off kilter at all, it seems to be right in line with the predominant meta in sealed. How many sealted slots did it take you to get that? It's completely gross.

The problem I've had with sealed is a lack of game winning bombs that also have the requisite support to be worthwhile running them. The number of decks I see with multiples of Rune Scarred, Xanthrid and Grave Titan, and tutors to boot, is ridiculous. It's hard not to feel like it's leaning towards pay to win.
I wouldn't call that first deck off kilter at all, it seems to be right in line with the predominant meta in sealed. How many sealted slots did it take you to get that? It's completely gross.

The problem I've had with sealed is a lack of game winning bombs that also have the requisite support to be worthwhile running them. The number of decks I see with multiples of Rune Scarred, Xanthrid and Grave Titan, and tutors to boot, is ridiculous. It's hard not to feel like it's leaning towards pay to win.

Fair enough, I feel the 3 creatures makes it a little unique, also complete lack of black recur. Both of which I could have put in. I have good creatures, but wanted an all instant/sorcery deck. Almost got away with a burn/blue deck, but its lack luster. This was my 6th slot (including the two free). I have almost every two color combo with my other slots. And a few three color decks. I don't spam this one, because it is so damn obnoxious and I usually play with people on here.

Ive got a G/W build all around weenies and one five casting cost green your creatures get +x/+x and trample and your opponents get screwed cause it's so damn cheap. As well as plenty of other decks that are about turning my guys sideways with better effect than my opponents. Couple life gain decks with only one Archangel as the bomb. Mono black discard deck without a single murder, biggest creature is a 4/4 sengir.

I just really wanted to post that build, it wasn't a good example. Just because its B/U doesn't mean it's just like all the other B/U decks out there, I've played a number of mirror matches with it, none of them could keep up with my long game.

In any case, I suppose I only have two alt win cond decks, jinxed idol and door. I would be able to make a mill deck if that sphinx didn't care where the damage came from...
UW, how often does the Scourge of Valkas save the day for you in the Jinxed Idol deck? I ask because I got a new slot today and it had three of the Idols. I also got a Shivan Dragon (among other things), but rather than play any big bombs, I opted to run as many tiny, efficient creatures as I can. I'm concerned that any big bombs I add in will have to get sacrificed regardless, so why keep anything so expensive...
UW, how often does the Scourge of Valkas save the day for you in the Jinxed Idol deck? I ask because I got a new slot today and it had three of the Idols. I also got a Shivan Dragon (among other things), but rather than play any big bombs, I opted to run as many tiny, efficient creatures as I can. I'm concerned that any big bombs I add in will have to get sacrificed regardless, so why keep anything so expensive...

It's yet to 'save the day'. Efficient lifelink decks will crush me. If I had the option I'd have put the haste dragon in instead for that last 4 points they weren't expecting. honestly I think I put him in because I was tired of seeing him turn up and not playing him. I figured it couldn't hurt to have one evasive bomb to retry and push damage through to a stabalized opponent. I think any decent evasive midrange-biggy could accomplish the same thing. The extra damage when he drops may occasionally come in handy to clear out a potential sac cheapy of my opponents. 

Depending on what your creature pool looks like I'd probably still run two idols... It's real hard to keep up with two if you've got kill going back and forth...

...then again, I may run all three, for funsies. 
Shuffle the grave into a new library with nill land and refil my hand with all live cards.

How does this work? I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

My best deck is extremely draw heavy and I threaten to mill myself pretty regularly.

I was using murder as an example. Alot of sealed decks is luck of the draw in making the deck and having a bunch of copies of a good card really helps it.
I was using murder as an example. Alot of sealed decks is luck of the draw in making the deck and having a bunch of copies of a good card really helps it.

Welllll I paid to have more options and more builds, because for me that's where the fun is. My favorite builds don't have all the bombs, but consistency through my commons and uncommons. I think that mimics sealed IRL.

Fair enough, I feel the 3 creatures makes it a little unique, also complete lack of black recur. Both of which I could have put in. I have good creatures, but wanted an all instant/sorcery deck. Almost got away with a burn/blue deck, but its lack luster. This was my 6th slot (including the two free). I have almost every two color combo with my other slots. And a few three color decks. I don't spam this one, because it is so damn obnoxious and I usually play with people on here.

Ive got a G/W build all around weenies and one five casting cost green your creatures get +x/+x and trample and your opponents get screwed cause it's so damn cheap. As well as plenty of other decks that are about turning my guys sideways with better effect than my opponents. Couple life gain decks with only one Archangel as the bomb. Mono black discard deck without a single murder, biggest creature is a 4/4 sengir.

I just really wanted to post that build, it wasn't a good example. Just because its B/U doesn't mean it's just like all the other B/U decks out there, I've played a number of mirror matches with it, none of them could keep up with my long game.

In any case, I suppose I only have two alt win cond decks, jinxed idol and door. I would be able to make a mill deck if that sphinx didn't care where the damage came from...

Yea, it is pretty unique as you're relying solely on the grave titan to get damage in.   Your games must take awhile when the titan gets countered lol.  Though im sure you can get it back quick with those mind springs.

I just drew a more traditional overpowered U/B in my 26th slot (made 2nd ps3 account lol).  Definitely the best U/B ive drawn.. actually only the 2nd one ive even made out of the 26.  Feels boring going U/B so hate doing it unless i have to like this one.

"Titan Clones"

9x Swamps
7x Islands
1x Terramorphic

1x Unsummon
1x Fog Bank
1x Distress
2x Vampire Knighthawks
1x Frostbreath
3x Murders
3x Divinations
1x Assassinate
2x Clones
3x Archeomancers
1x Gravedigger
1x Mark of the Vampire
1x Sleep
1x Rise from the Grave
2x Grave Titans 

Welllll I paid to have more options and more builds, because for me that's where the fun is. My favorite builds don't have all the bombs, but consistency through my commons and uncommons. I think that mimics sealed IRL.

Paying $10 already isn't enough? Just to take your chance and get more bad decks possibly?

Yea, it is pretty unique as you're relying solely on the grave titan to get damage in.   Your games must take awhile when the titan gets countered lol.  Though im sure you can get it back quick with those mind springs.

I just drew a more traditional overpowered U/B in my 26th slot (made 2nd ps3 account lol).  Definitely the best U/B ive drawn.. actually only the 2nd one ive even made out of the 26.  Feels boring going U/B so hate doing it unless i have to like this one.

"Titan Clones"

9x Swamps
7x Islands
1x Terramorphic

1x Unsummon
1x Fog Bank
1x Distress
2x Vampire Knighthawks
1x Frostbreath
3x Murders
3x Divinations
1x Assassinate
2x Clones
3x Archeomancers
1x Gravedigger
1x Mark of the Vampire
1x Sleep
1x Rise from the Grave
2x Grave Titans 

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I have one slot with double ups on inferno Titan. But double grave titans with 2 clones, two vamps, and a rise!?!? Are you fraking kidding me?

Paying $10 already isn't enough? Just to take your chance and get more bad decks possibly?

I think its possible to make a decent deck every time.  If you build right there isnt really any bad decks, just great ones and serviceable ones.  I've made 26 slots so far and i enjoy playing with them all.  Some are better than others but they all can hold their own.

Ive paid 60 bones for sexbox games that make me want to punch a Red Cross volunteer. I'm enjoying sealed more than any other dotp. So yeah, I'll drop 60 ish total on this so I can get some variance in my builds. Half my fun comes from building, I spend more time fiddling with my pools than actually playing.

May not even get the expansions, the meta sucks and you know it.

Damn dude 3 Jinxers! You must make a jinxed idol deck nao! I have one with 2 and it's super fun and actually wins a lot (I would say 75%), you don't need the bombs at all. Did you get any molten birth or young pyromancer or gravediggers??
add me on steam =) highzenborg
I What I would not give for Young Pyromancer/Molten Birth/Jinxed Idol. Maaaan.
I only have the 2 slots, but 1 of them has 4 Gravedigger, a Grim Return, and Jinxed Idol. Unfortunately the deck has no good removal.
24 clones 16 island
Nuff said

Got a pool with 4!!! Destructive Force, unfortunately pretty crappy rares and uncommons besides that. I wasn't very happy at first, but it turned out to become a funny deck. Some titans and nighthawks would make the deck awesome.

The deck is almost 100% reliable in blowing everything up on turns 7 and 12 (if necessary) and swinging into open field and picking life points slowly away afterwards. Equipped Thiefs and Scorpions as well as minotaurs survive your own sweepers. I usually play my whole library and never have more than 5-10 cards remaining when it's over.

Hardest thing is staying alive until turn 7 against rush decks with little control available, but chump blocking, Unsummon, Brittle Effigy and Murder help. Besides that titans, Angelic Destiny and spectres might be a bit hard to handle, but speaking of titans opponents often don’t get to 6 lands at all.

I'm thinking about swapping a land for another Sign in Blood, Scroll Thief or Minotaur as I never miss a land drop until turn 7. I also have 2 Earth Servants and Destructive Force available, but those feel unnecessary. Advice anybody?

Build 3/Build 4/Build 5: Jinxed Idol -- Young Pyro -- Aggro Slivers -- burn

The following combines everything and is my favourite deck. Reliable and very fast with Geysers as alternate finishers.
[deck]
16 lands
2 Striking Sliver
1 Giant Growth
2 Young Pyromancer
5 Predatory Sliver
1 Jinxed Idol
2 Volcanic Geyser
2 Plummet
1 Regathan Firecat
2 Blur Sliver
1 Slaughter Cry
1 Molten Birth
2 Act of Treason
1 Firewing Phoenix
1 Cleaver Riot
[/deck]
Got a pool with 4!!! Destructive Force, unfortunately pretty crappy rares and uncommons besides that. I wasn't very happy at first, but it turned out to become a funny deck. Some titans and nighthawks would make the deck awesome.

The deck is almost 100% reliable in blowing everything up on turns 7 and 12 (if necessary) and swinging into open field and picking life points slowly away afterwards. Equipped Thiefs and Scorpions as well as minotaurs survive your own sweepers. I usually play my whole library and never have more than 5-10 cards remaining when it's over.

Hardest thing is staying alive until turn 7 against rush decks with little control available, but chump blocking, Unsummon, Brittle Effigy and Murder help. Besides that titans, Angelic Destiny and spectres might be a bit hard to handle, but speaking of titans opponents often don’t get to 6 lands at all.

I'm thinking about swapping a land for another Sign in Blood, Scroll Thief or Minotaur as I never miss a land drop until turn 7. I also have 2 Earth Servants and Destructive Force available, but those feel unnecessary. Advice anybody?

Wow, that's clever.  Just goes to show that even Kite Shield and Minotaur Abomination have their uses when you're thinking outside the box..

While some are better than others, I haven't had a pool yet that I say "Well, this has no chance of winning".  Sometimes it seems that way at first, but from seeing and hearing about combos others make, and mulling it over in your head for awhile, you find the good buried in each pile.

It sounds like most people are too quick to write off a pool as "bad" because they don't see certain cards they're looking for (Grave Titan, Murder), without sitting down and considering what else can be done.  I suspect that's the case, because it happened to me too... my hands-down best deck right now came out of my second slot, and before I figured out what to do I tried two different builds and wrote it off as trash.  Came back to it later to try something else, and it just jumped out at me.. and now it's a G/R/W deck that's my go-to if I want a win.

I think deck building here is a little harder than pre-con, in that in pre-con each deck has one, *maybe* two themes to go with, so it already suggests what to do and you just have to tweak it.  Here, the possibilities go in every direction, and it can take some time before one shows itself.
I think it's absolutely true that a slot is not about what you get but what you make of it. For instance, my first slot has a pool that begs for this build:

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">

"Sealed build G/W"

A Sealed Mode library

41 Cards. 25 nonlands (13 creatures, 12 spells). 16 Lands (11 3; 2 other).

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #0c7f00; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
 Land 2 cards 
 Land ■■ Terramorphic Expanse  Land 
   cost  5 cards 
 Spell  Condemn   
 Elixir of Immortality   
■■■ Stave Off   
   cost  11 cards 
 Creature ■■■ Deadly Recluse  1/2   
■■■■ Predatory Sliver  1/1   
 Spell ■■ Pacifism   
 Rampant Growth   
 Swiftfoot Boots   
   cost  3 cards 
 Creature ■■■ Dungrove Elder  */*   
   cost  5 cards 
 Creature  Briarpack Alpha  3/3   
 Rumbling Baloth  4/4   
 Spell  Hunt the Weak   
 Indestructibility   
 Might of Oaks   
 [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m]  cost  1 card 
 Creature  Primordial Hydra  0/0  [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] 

erdana; font-size:9px">Read about MysteriousMisterP's deck planner.

Sideboard (26 cards)
color  
   2x Mighty Leap
   1x Fiend Hunter
   1x Griffin Sentinel
   2x Safe Passage
   1x Solemn Offering
   1x Charging Griffin
   1x Healer of the Pride
   1x Pillarfield Ox
   1x Serra Angel
color  
   1x Fog
   1x Giant Growth
   1x Rampant Growth
   1x Advocate of the Beast
   3x Oakenform
   1x Yavimaya Wurm
   1x Windstorm
[/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] color  
   1x Kite Shield
   1x Staff of the Death Magus
   1x Staff of the Sun Magus
   1x Staff of the Wild Magus
   1x Crumbling Colossus
   1x Phyrexian Hulk

With the three Dungrove Elders and the Primordial Hydra, there's a lot of great bombs and great synergy. And yeah, it's a fun deck that does well. *However*, it's not my most consistent build in this slot. Even with all the bombs that this build has, my best build has been this:

"Sealed build W/U"

A Sealed Mode library

42 Cards. 27 nonlands (10 creatures, 17 spells). 15 Lands (7 6; 2 other).

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #06236b; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
 Land 2 cards 
   cost  7 cards 
 Spell  Condemn   
 Elixir of Immortality   
■■ Stave Off   
■■■ Unsummon   
   cost  7 cards 
 Creature ■■ Fog Bank  0/2   
 Spell ■■ Essence Scatter   
■■ Pacifism   
 Swiftfoot Boots   
   cost  6 cards 
 Creature  Fiend Hunter  1/3   
■■■ Scroll Thief  1/3   
 Spell  Safe Passage   
 Solemn Offering   
   cost  6 cards 
 Creature ■■■ Archaeomancer  1/2   
 Spell ■■■ Tricks of the Trade   
   cost  1 card 
 Creature  Serra Angel  4/4   

Sideboard (27 cards)
color  
   1x Stave Off
   2x Mighty Leap
   1x Griffin Sentinel
   1x Safe Passage
   1x Charging Griffin
   1x Healer of the Pride
   1x Indestructibility
   1x Pillarfield Ox
color  
   1x Maritime Guard
   1x Turn to Frog
   1x Glimpse the Future
   3x Trained Condor
   2x Disorient
   1x Master Thief
   1x Faerie Invaders
   2x Harbor Serpent
[/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] color  
   1x Kite Shield
   1x Crumbling Colossus
   1x Phyrexian Hulk

No bombs, no mythics, not even a single rare. Yet I built it around a clear focus and single strategy, and you know what? It does what it does extremely well.

I should also point out that this deck plays into my type of game style - lots of patience and lots of control. I firmly believe that we all excel in the styles that interest us, and though we may have great cards in another style, they won't be as potent in our hands.

Dope thread BRUH.

It helps for someone like me to see the suggested builds written down. I mean, I'm aware of how to make a good Sliver deck, but I enjoy reading other peoples strategies as well.
I think it's absolutely true that a slot is not about what you get but what you make of it. For instance, my first slot has a pool that begs for this build:

"Sealed build G/W"

A Sealed Mode library

41 Cards. 25 nonlands (13 creatures, 12 spells). 16 Lands (11 3; 2 other).

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #0c7f00; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
 Land 2 cards 
   cost  5 cards 
 Spell  Condemn   
 Elixir of Immortality   
■■■ Stave Off   
   cost  11 cards 
 Creature ■■■ Deadly Recluse  1/2   
■■■■ Predatory Sliver  1/1   
 Spell ■■ Pacifism   
 Rampant Growth   
 Swiftfoot Boots   
   cost  3 cards 
 Creature ■■■ Dungrove Elder  */*   
   cost  5 cards 
 Creature  Briarpack Alpha  3/3   
 Rumbling Baloth  4/4   
 Spell  Hunt the Weak   
 Indestructibility   
 Might of Oaks   
 [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m]  cost  1 card 
 Creature  Primordial Hydra  0/0  [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] 

Sideboard (26 cards)
color  
   2x Mighty Leap
   1x Fiend Hunter
   1x Griffin Sentinel
   2x Safe Passage
   1x Solemn Offering
   1x Charging Griffin
   1x Healer of the Pride
   1x Pillarfield Ox
   1x Serra Angel
color  
   1x Fog
   1x Giant Growth
   1x Rampant Growth
   1x Advocate of the Beast
   3x Oakenform
   1x Yavimaya Wurm
   1x Windstorm
   1x Kite Shield
   1x Crumbling Colossus
   1x Phyrexian Hulk

With the three Dungrove Elders and the Primordial Hydra, there's a lot of great bombs and great synergy. And yeah, it's a fun deck that does well. *However*, it's not my most consistent build in this slot. Even with all the bombs that this build has, my best build has been this:

"Sealed build W/U"

A Sealed Mode library

42 Cards. 27 nonlands (10 creatures, 17 spells). 15 Lands (7 6; 2 other).

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #06236b; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
 Land 2 cards 
   cost  7 cards 
 Spell  Condemn   
 Elixir of Immortality   
■■ Stave Off   
■■■ Unsummon   
   cost  7 cards 
 Creature ■■ Fog Bank  0/2   
 Spell ■■ Essence Scatter   
■■ Pacifism   
 Swiftfoot Boots   
   cost  6 cards 
 Creature  Fiend Hunter  1/3   
■■■ Scroll Thief  1/3   
 Spell  Safe Passage   
 Solemn Offering   
   cost  6 cards 
 Creature ■■■ Archaeomancer  1/2   
 Spell ■■■ Tricks of the Trade   
   cost  1 card 
 Creature  Serra Angel  4/4   

Sideboard (27 cards)
color  
   1x Stave Off
   2x Mighty Leap
   1x Griffin Sentinel
   1x Safe Passage
   1x Charging Griffin
   1x Healer of the Pride
   1x Indestructibility
   1x Pillarfield Ox
color  
   1x Maritime Guard
   1x Turn to Frog
   1x Glimpse the Future
   3x Trained Condor
   2x Disorient
   1x Master Thief
   1x Faerie Invaders
   2x Harbor Serpent
   1x Kite Shield
   1x Crumbling Colossus
   1x Phyrexian Hulk

No bombs, no mythics, not even a single rare. Yet I built it around a clear focus and single strategy, and you know what? It does what it does extremely well.

I should also point out that this deck plays into my type of game style - lots of patience and lots of control. I firmly believe that we all excel in the styles that interest us, and though we may have great cards in another style, they won't be as potent in our hands.

I would probably make your G/W deck mono green. 3x Dungrove and 3x oakenform? Turn 3 hexproof, turn 4 oakenform...Throw in the advocate the beast, thee crumbling colossus, and the oakenforms. Would make your Dungrove Elders bigger quicker too not messing around with white mana...only trouble you would have is probably with small deathtouch creatures, you only have 1x hunt the week and not a lot of trample damage coming thrugh....

Build 3/Build 4/Build 5: Jinxed Idol -- Young Pyro -- Aggro Slivers -- burn

The following combines everything and is my favourite deck. Reliable and very fast with Geysers as alternate finishers.
[deck]
16 lands
2 Striking Sliver
1 Giant Growth
2 Young Pyromancer
5 Predatory Sliver
1 Jinxed Idol
2 Volcanic Geyser
2 Plummet
1 Regathan Firecat
2 Blur Sliver
1 Slaughter Cry
1 Molten Birth
2 Act of Treason
1 Firewing Phoenix
1 Cleaver Riot
[/deck]

I am loving the Kkite Shield in there!  Would an earth servant work as well or do your lands geet destroyed first, essentially making him a 4/4 and dying?.....I'd definitely play your combined build too with the idol, and green and red.....looks like a LOT of fun...

Use Act of Treason to snag a creature, swing with it, then sacrifice their creature to give them a jinxed idol .... and the rage quit begins ....

I've been wanting to combine switcharoo with an act of treason just to see if it works the way I think it does...
The order doesn't matter; a 4/4 with 5 damage is a 4/4 with 5 damage.

That said, Destructive Force requires seven mana to cast, and only makes you sacrifice 5 lands. If you keep two Mountains open, Earth Servant will survive.
Adding in my Pyromancers buil to the OP...

Playing a Young Pyromancer deck is a lot of fun for me. I have a deck with 3x Young Pyromancer but I don't have a lot of "burn" or Slivers with it with it. The goal is to get out a bunch of weenies and build them up. The Pyromancer keeps creating 1/1 creatures.... The card draw and archaeomancer allow 2x Act of Treason and 3x Frost Chill to do their thing. 

1x Unsummon, 1x Shock, 1x Earthquake (a finisher), 3x Goblin Shortcutter (this is a damage race), 1x Turn to Frog, 2x Essence Scatter, 1x Mind Spring, 3x Scroll Thief, 1x Blur Sliver, 3x Frost breath, 1x Slaughter Cry, 2x Divination, 2x Act of Treason, 1x Archaeomancer

My "bomb" is the 4 mana Archaeomancer used to grab any instant I might need again. I might even sub him out for a trained condor.... Very low mana curve, with 10x 2 drops and 12x 3 drops. I run 42 cards and 16 land...Its certainly going to run into some opponents that will roll over it, but its a lot of fun to play. The sorceries keep creating additional bodies to swing with with a pyromancer out...

I also have 4x Predatory Sliver in Green in this pool but the lack of Red Slivers makes them less useful, I would also like some more burn in this deck, I'd win more games if I had another earthqauke or volcanic geyser....
The order doesn't matter; a 4/4 with 5 damage is a 4/4 with 5 damage.

That said, Destructive Force requires seven mana to cast, and only makes you sacrifice 5 lands. If you keep two Mountains open, Earth Servant will survive.

I am finding it VERY difficult to know whatcolor land you are sacrificing, you have to be very careful....I think they separate them by color though...
Sign In to post comments