What happened to Session 9?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

The dates listed for the present encounters season goes up to teh 14th of August.  That would be session 9. However, the adventure only goes up to session 8.

Did I miss something?

character creation week?

character creation week?

Nope.  That's already included.  

#0 - June 12 Character creation

#1 - June 19th

#2 - June 26th

#3 - July 3rd

#4 - July 10th

#5 - July 17th

#6 - July 24th

#7 - July 31st

#8 - August 7th

#9 - August 14th [But the adventure does not include a ninth session.]

Also, the PDF information on the event says it is a ten week encounters.  That last session is missing.

Considering they screwed up the session numbering for Murder in Baldur's Gate too, I'm not surprised.

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Kalani's Homebrew and Original Content | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

"D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger." -- TiaNadiezja

Considering they screwed up the session numbering for Murder in Baldur's Gate too, I'm not surprised.

Did they?  I haven't gotten the Game Day materials yet so not sure.  How badly did they screw the pooch?
I got an email from Wizards Customer Support on Thursday that says:

"Dear WPN Organizer,

Thank you for scheduling the next season of D&D Encounters, Murder in Baldur's Gate. This season runs through Nov. 13, however, Wizards Event Reporter would only allow organizers to set up sessions through Oct 9.

Next week, we will schedule five additional D&D Encounters sessions for stores signed up for Murder in Baldur's Gate. The additional dates are Oct 16. 23. 30 and Nov 6 and 13. If you expect to run D&D Encounters on these dates, no action is needed. If you are not running the adventure on any of these dates, please cancel them in WER.

Thank you again for your support of D&D. As always, let us know if you have any questions."

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Kalani's Homebrew and Original Content | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

"D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger." -- TiaNadiezja

We are running August 14th as a character creation session for the next season. That way they will be able to use those characters in the Game Day event on the 17th. I'm pretty sure that's how they intended it to run. The season would then start on the 21st. I could be wrong though.
Good idea as long as they dont release a new playtest packet on the Friday before the Launch Weekend, Embarassed

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Got the Game Day and Encounters packets today. My store owner tells me that WotC is going to make the adventure book available to Flagship stores on Aug. 9th so that Encounters DM's can prepare. I'm assuming he got this info directly from WotC.

Reading through the enclosed flyer in the Encounters packet, the following paragraph was under the heading of Event Fees And Rewards.

"Before you begin the session you may also want to come up with some rewards for your DMs or players to give out during or at the end of the season, which you can fund through a small fee to play during the season. Examples include a copy of Murder in Baldur's Gate for the DM, dice sets, food/drink, Dungeon Tiles sets, and other game aids. You can distribute items to players as door prizes or for specific accomplishments. In any case, we recommend not charging your DMs for prizes, as they are already committing a lot of time and effort to running games and possibly purchasing the adventure." 

My store owner offered to discount the book for us at least. 
What IS included in the packets?  I thought I read they were including dice again as 'rewards', but that makes it sounds like they haven't.

There was also the implication of a session 1 adventure to kick things off - is there such a thing in the Encounters packet, or was that just a reference to the Game Day adventure?
The Launch Weekend packet contains a prequel scenario to kick off the events of the Encounters season. It also includes a nice map of the city with a "market square" type map on the back, and a set of non-player character cards (which I suspect will come in very handy for running Encounters).

The Encounters packet does come with dice. They're brown with skulls on the "20" face. So far, I've rolled 8 "1"s in a row with the one I pulled out to play with; not auspicious. Or maybe it's getting those numbers out of the way before the game...

What IS included in the packets?  I thought I read they were including dice again as 'rewards', but that makes it sounds like they haven't.

There was also the implication of a session 1 adventure to kick things off - is there such a thing in the Encounters packet, or was that just a reference to the Game Day adventure?

The Encounters Packet has the Dice (Red this time), Player maps and NPC cards, advertisment poster and a DM FAQ sheet.
The Game Day packet has the adventure (15 pages that is an expanded version of the introduction of the for-sale adventure book), a poster map of the city with a battle scene map on the reverse, some hype cards for players that advertise the sundering website and the new R.A. Salvatore book that releases in August. 
I think I may pull out Dretchroyaster for a final confrontation with the anticipated 7th level adventurers (they were 3rd in Vault of the Dracolich).

We had a few encounters we didn't use in VotDL that I can recycle. 
I'm planning on spreading the session 8 encounter over the 2 weeks as none of our group will be attending GenCon and with them letting one of the Zhents go at the end of this week (with instructions to actually tell Phoedele they were here!) the Zhents will be well prepared to receive them

DM Notes

With the soldier from session 7 this makes the Zhentarim force = Phoedele, 1 Zhent Mage (already invisible), and 4 Zhent soldiers - knowing my players they will no doubt attempt to convince them to hand the staff over, and knowing how their dice normally go it will devolve quickly.

I intend to run the session until the the point where the Cultists appear, closing with the decision before the party and giving them until session 9 to decide how to proceed.

Session 9 will commence as soon as they give me their decision and progress per the adventure notes.

As I will probably have 6 or 7 players at the table, I will most likely increase the cultist by another pair of beserkers

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

I will probably end up having a climactic final confrontation with Dretchroyaster. He's the last loose end, and plenty of PCs remember him from the Game Day. Plus, it means I'll get to use my Huge Dracolich miniature - that thing doesn't ordinarily see the light of day. Probably make it Dretch, a cult leader or veteran, and four barbarians.

I couldn't get the Vault of the Dracolich materials so I have no info on the Dracolich. I couldn't even find the game day anywhere near the Philadelphia area. Stores listed in the play finder had no idea about it when I called them.
I moved ahead a week after myplayers sped through week 6 so this week I had them fight Bracero again after they made a deal to work for him. DM info follows

I used the Bracero encounter, but replaced the chain fighters with 3 wraiths. I also added the shade template from the NW campaign setting to Bracero. I had Bracero meet them in the Chitin chamber, havong already murdered the bugs.I used smarter tactics as he had fought them before. The walls and blocking terrain were a great tactical advantage for the wraiths. Parties with multiple radiant users moght find this less challenging but I had Bracero weaken their big damage dealer by forcing it to fight a wraith.

Next week I will be giving them an into to Next as we have stuck with 4th until now.
I couldn't get the Vault of the Dracolich materials so I have no info on the Dracolich. I couldn't even find the game day anywhere near the Philadelphia area. Stores listed in the play finder had no idea about it when I called them.
I moved ahead a week after myplayers sped through week 6 so this week I had them fight Bracero again after they made a deal to work for him. DM info follows

I used the Bracero encounter, but replaced the chain fighters with 3 wraiths. I also added the shade template from the NW campaign setting to Bracero. I had Bracero meet them in the Chitin chamber, havong already murdered the bugs.I used smarter tactics as he had fought them before. The walls and blocking terrain were a great tactical advantage for the wraiths. Parties with multiple radiant users moght find this less challenging but I had Bracero weaken their big damage dealer by forcing it to fight a wraith.

Next week I will be giving them an into to Next as we have stuck with 4th until now.
Sign In to post comments