Could use some suggestions on Various Planes to use (Need 5)

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK to start of if any of my players (this is Nick) see this please don't read it...has some story spoilers

Now with that aside lets get down to buisness I'll keep this short (I'll elaborate if you guys like) basically a Goddess decided she was fed up with dealing with all the BS of the other Gods/Goddesses/Demons/etc. so used/is usng a massive amount of her own power as well as 7 Powerful Wizards to create a new pane of existence and cut it off from the other planes.

Unfortunately though a few (see 7) Demons/Gods/etc. weren't too happy with this (most honestly didn't care) and have been fighting to break into the realm for quite a while so they can take it for their own and due to this "rifts" have been opening up randomly and causing trouble on both sides. The Players are all from various realms and times and were sucked into these soem of these Rifts...originally they were just trying to get home but have been roped into this madness.

Now my request is just some suggestions on realms/planes that I could have trying to break in (Players may or may not travel to these places) these don't even have to be DnD Realms...just interesting stuff.

So far I've got an Earth-Like Realm, Xoriat and of course the Goddess's Realm so I need 5 More.
You could create these planes based upon different elements or concepts that are connected to the ruling demon/god. For instance, you could create a plane of fire, of water, of earth etc. or perhaps a plane of war, of law and/or justice etc.

Also, if you want self contained realms with their own unique mythology and cosmology, you could just borrow from existing legends from around the world. One realm could be similar to Valhalla and another could be similar to King Arthurs Britain or the Dreamtime from Australian aborignal myth.

You could create these planes based upon different elements or concepts that are connected to the ruling demon/god. For instance, you could create a plane of fire, of water, of earth etc. or perhaps a plane of war, of law and/or justice etc.

Also, if you want self contained realms with their own unique mythology and cosmology, you could just borrow from existing legends from around the world. One realm could be similar to Valhalla and another could be similar to King Arthurs Britain or the Dreamtime from Australian aborignal myth.

A land full of various elementals would be fun....thinking I could have a few "Evolved" elementals that are sentient and have created a place to live appropriate to their needs. Than having the various elements (maybe just two factions of varied elements) locked in war and the losing side is trying to break into the Goddess's Realm to get away (not every "invading" realm needs to be malicious)

Hmmm...didn't think to borrow from Mythology...something like Valhalla would be so much fun...and for Notearth Realm I could use various time periods...I was actually thinking of shoving them in an X-Com like time period and laughing as they fight laser cannon wielding aliens with big swords and bows.

Also completely random but I'd also like to have a Realm ruled by a Dragon just for fun...I've always liked using dragons more for roleplaying than ombat (unless the players anger me :P) I'm just not sure what to do with it beyond that.
I would suggest reading one or both of the Draconomicons if you have them, if I recall correctly they both list some methods for including dragons in ways other than kidnapping maidens and pillaging, along with some social skill challenges. 

Just off the top of my head,  consider what type of dragon your using and what that says about its temperment and world view, a red would be likely to conquer another plane out of a desire to prove its battle prowess, while a gold might be more interested in amassing arcane lore. You could also introduce something a little more original, such as a black dragon that worships Moradin or a Copper that fancies itself a playwright but preferers tragedy to comedy. 

So, you have eight total planes: Earth and seven others.  Of those seven, you have two already thought out: the Good Place (realm of the goddess) and the Squid Place (xoriat/far realms/lovecraftland)

You could use some of...

The Bad Place (Some sort of "hell" domain of evil and suffering, but not madness)
The Dead Place (Anywhere between somewhere that the dead linger and the Negative Energy Plane of Great Wheel Fame)
The Magic Place (Faerie/Feywild -- paralell to earth in some ways but stranger and more mutable)
The In-Between Place (Something like the Astral or Etheral, a buffer between "here" and "there"  could be fascinating if played right.)
The Dark World (A mirror of 'earth', but grim and dark, likely literally dark/shadowy).  Could be a good domain of lord-dragons, if the dragons are at bast amoral.
The Place(s) Made of Stuff (Elemental Planes/Elemental Chaos)
The Techy Place (D&D assums Medieval Stasis, having an alt-world where magitech has reached high spec-fic levels could be interesting)

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

So, you have eight total planes: Earth and seven others.  Of those seven, you have two already thought out: the Good Place (realm of the goddess) and the Squid Place (xoriat/far realms/lovecraftland)

Yeah the Goddess realm (The bulk of the campaign is here) and 7 Others :D I love your names :D

You could use some of...

The Bad Place (Some sort of "hell" domain of evil and suffering, but not madness)

I sort of mixed this in with Xoriat..Succubi, Soul Devourers, Demon Lords, etc.

The Dead Place (Anywhere between somewhere that the dead linger and the Negative Energy Plane of Great Wheel Fame)

Hmmm...I'm liking the idea of a Necromanctic Power of some sort rasiing Dinosaurs, Sabretooth Tigers and either extinct terrors to assault the Goddess Realm

The Magic Place (Faerie/Feywild -- paralell to earth in some ways but stranger and more mutable)

I've always wanted to do something with the Feywild but I'll have to do some more research on the setting...which book (PF, 4e, 3.5e, older edition doesn't matter) would you reccomend

The In-Between Place (Something like the Astral or Etheral, a buffer between "here" and "there"  could be fascinating if played right.)

Actually the "In-Between" plane has alot to do with how the goddess cut her realm off basically she shattered the pathways (I haven't really fleshed this part out though)

The Dark World (A mirror of 'earth', but grim and dark, likely literally dark/shadowy).  Could be a good domain of lord-dragons, if the dragons are at bast amoral.

I wouldn't mind a Shadowfell like where the area is transitioning back and forth.

The Place(s) Made of Stuff (Elemental Planes/Elemental Chaos)

The Plane of Rainbow Pudding from Order of the Stick is very tempting :P Beyond that I'm actually really liking the idea of an elemental war causing one side to try to flee said realm.

The Techy Place (D&D assums Medieval Stasis, having an alt-world where magitech has reached high spec-fic levels could be interesting)

This would be fun...like Eberron on Crack I'll save it for later so I have extra time to work on it. Maybe work in some FF6 tech in there

I would suggest reading one or both of the Draconomicons if you have them, if I recall correctly they both list some methods for including dragons in ways other than kidnapping maidens and pillaging, along with some social skill challenges. 

Just off the top of my head,  consider what type of dragon your using and what that says about its temperment and world view, a red would be likely to conquer another plane out of a desire to prove its battle prowess, while a gold might be more interested in amassing arcane lore. You could also introduce something a little more original, such as a black dragon that worships Moradin or a Copper that fancies itself a playwright but preferers tragedy to comedy. 

Hmmm...I like the idea of a shakesperian Dragon
OK so thanks to some suggestion here as well as a few from other friends/places here's what I'm looking at right not

1. Notearth (pronounced Nah-Terth) - Will probably be visited several times during different time periods just to allow me some leway...there will likely be some creative license with historical events especially because I know my players will likely "encourage" certain "accidents" to happen to historic figures.

2. Xoriat/Far Real/Chltuhu-type place - This is kind of a mash up between demons, devils, abberations and undead...my Paladin loves this place...will also like see at least one revisits. This ones fairly simple xoriat wants to mess with the "Goddess" Realm and may or may not decide to blow it up...just because.

3. Elemental Plane - Currently in the middle of a brutal war with the losing side accidentally breaking into the "Goddess" Realm

4. Dragon God Realm - It's a realm, ruled by a dragon, who is a playwright...his subjects no longer please him so he wishes to ply his trade in a land untouched by his shakespearian grace. The "Goddess" Realm will do quite nicely for him

5. Land of the Dead - A realm filled with unusual undead creatures...even some extinct ones like Dinos. Basically the necromancer has killed almost everyone is his realm and needs new people to kill so he can raise them and pit them against each other in his "Bone Yard"

6. The Shadowfell - I might mix in the some Quori stuff from Ebberon with this and have an area of the "Goddess" Realm periodically shift in and out of the shadowfell as the invaders trey to break thorugh with people having niughtmares and possible have said nightm ares come alive...or w/e this one could be pretty interesting.   

7. Sci-fi Land - Basically just a land filled with super high tech stuff (think Shadowrun)...nobody actually was trying to break into the "Goddess" Realm somebody sceince experiment went haywire and broke a tear in the already weakened barrier keeping the "Goddess" Realm cut off from other realms/planes...this could be the final chapter of Notearth though

So now all I need is preferably 1 more Realm/Plane so I can move "Sci-fi Land" to the final Notearth chapter I also could use some suggestions on a Goddess that would want to sepearate herself from the other gods to allow her subjects to livwe in relative peace...I also need one that wouldn'tt be angered by other religions sprouting up because a few have.

Oh and feel free to make further suggestions about what to do with the chosen realms.