Level 1 Mage -- wizard utility and memorization

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am using Essentials. Created a level 1 mage, and am confused by the Spells Prepared Per Day table on page 200. Am I reading this correctly that at level 1, I cannot prepare ANY of the utility spells I have in my book? The next page talks about how they are the first spells learned, and they were used in the red box battles. But now that I look at Heroes of the Fallen Lands, it seems I can't use them until I'm at level 2?  Thanks for the help!
The spells on page 201 are cantrips; your mage knows three of those (your choice) starting at level 1.  Cantrips don't count as utility spells for the purposes of the spellbook (as described on page 200).  Those utility spells begin on page 208.  It's confusing, I know.
The spells on page 201 are cantrips; your mage knows three of those (your choice) starting at level 1.  Cantrips don't count as utility spells for the purposes of the spellbook (as described on page 200).  Those utility spells begin on page 208.  It's confusing, I know.

Ah, I see. The "Level 2 Utility" spells come later. Thanks for clarifying! I am just getting back into this after not playing since 2e (but mostly BECMI) back in my younger days. My kids are now getting older, so I am using them as an excuse to come back to the fold. Cheers!
Have fun stormin' the castle!