Dragon 425 Compilation

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
D&D Insider ArticleDragon 425
Compilation

By Steve Winter, Skip Williams, Rober J. Schwalb, Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, Ed Greenwood, Thomas M. Reid, Craig Campbell, Matt Sernett

We put the capstone on our obsession with elemental evil by delving into its long history in the worlds of D&D. The machinations around and within the legendary temple may be the most complex plot thread ever to snake its way through four decades of D&D history. Join us as we slice through the Gordian knot of intrigue, deception, scheming gods and demigods, and cults within cults to expose the true nature of elemental evil.

Talk about this magazine here.

Dragon #425 
A single level 8 consumable magic item is the only bit of 4E player support in this issue.  Yay.
A single level 8 consumable magic item is the only bit of 4E player support in this issue.  Yay.

Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Yeah, I feel like we're getting a pie crust when we're expecting a pie. It's a nice pie crust, to be sure. The art is great, the writing is awesome... but it is missing the pie filling. ("Pie filling is 'player options'", the metaphor-explaining narrator says.) It's frustrating, because I know Wizards is putting a ton of work into these publications and I really want to like them. Writing and art like that is not trivial. But with no crunch, it really isn't worth it.
I have to agree. I understand the push for Next as a response to ceding the market to Pathfinder and 3X grognards, but it seems like WotC's abandonment of its 4E players is going to dry up whatever meager revenue stream they have remaining for the next year or so until Next's release. Now, it's likely that this is deliberate to drive players away from continued investment in 4E so they'll switch to Next, but I do wonder if this is a gamble that will not pay off, in the way the implementation and marketing of 4E didn't exactly go as planned (beyond destroying the OGL and making another Paizo possible, of course).

Are we not counting the Catastrophic Dragons for the players to fight?  Or by “player support” do you mean “things that could potentially go into the Online Character Builder?”

Because, screw the egg, I was into this article for the second half of my dragons that I've been waiting a long time for.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Are we not counting the Catastrophic Dragons for the players to fight?  Or by “player support” do you mean “things that could potentially go into the Online Character Builder?”

Because, screw the egg, I was into this article for the second half of my dragons that I've been waiting a long time for.

Yeah, I count monsters as DM support.
@Alficles: It seems more like we are expecting pie, and getting a mixing bowl, spatula, and tin.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Fact of the matter is, Dragon is no longer Player-only support, and we need to stop viewing it like that.  It used to be everything but adventures, and for a while a lot of these articles would have appeared in Dungeon instead, but now that it's back to the old format, we shouldn't be judging it on the standards of when it was in a different format. 

All mechanics are pie filling, whether player or DM oriented.  Completing the set of Catastrophic Dragons is something I've been waiting for for several years now.  Now, if only the Scourge Dragons could show up… they seem to have gone the way of the Ki Power Source…

Also, I have deep enjoyment from these Unearthed Arcana articles.  They may never enter the CBuilder, but they're exactly the sort of tools 4e has needed for a long while.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Fact of the matter is, Dragon is no longer Player-only support, and we need to stop viewing it like that.

I don't mind that there's DM content in Dragon, but I do mind if there's almost no player content in an issue.  In other words, given the recent trend, a more accurate thing to say would have been, "Fact of the matter is, Dragon is no longer Player support, and we need to stop viewing it like that."
But that's factually untrue.  Dragon DOES have player support in it; however, it is not solely LIMITED to player support, and it's not going to even be majorly player support if that's not the sort of content that's coming this month. 

Next month, we get several film-noir-esque themes.  That's player support.  This month, we got a single magic item, which may seem like a cruel joke, but the DM support was awesome.  Also, this month's Unearthed Arcana, while being UA means no CBuilder support, is fabulous player support, looking at what players can do from a whole different angle.  Of course, it's a tool for the DM, but it's a tool that modifies what players can do, and thus is directly useful and of interest to players. 

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

But that's factually untrue.  Dragon DOES have player support in it; however, it is not solely LIMITED to player support, and it's not going to even be majorly player support if that's not the sort of content that's coming this month. 

Next month, we get several film-noir-esque themes.  That's player support.  This month, we got a single magic item, which may seem like a cruel joke, but the DM support was awesome.  Also, this month's Unearthed Arcana, while being UA means no CBuilder support, is fabulous player support, looking at what players can do from a whole different angle.  Of course, it's a tool for the DM, but it's a tool that modifies what players can do, and thus is directly useful and of interest to players. 

Right, I should have elaborated:

"Dragon is no longer player-only support" is a bad response to my complaint, because I don't expect it to cater only to players.
"Dragon is no longer player support" is also a bad response to my complaint, because it's false.

My complaint is, to borrow your phrase, that this issue of Dragon is a cruel joke, in terms of player support.

The problem with Unearthed Arcana is not that its information will never be incorporated into the Character Builder but rather that its information does not count as official rules.  I play in a home game and DM another, and I play Encounters and LFR.  Unearthed Arcana is not allowed in any of those games; sure, we could change the home games to allow it, but we use the easy heuristic that we'll accept only official rules, as we can be sure that those have been vetted, at least somewhat.  (Contrast to the ridiculous Unearthed Arcana multiclassing rules from Dragon 421, for example.)

I guess another way to put the complaint is that this issue of Dragon is a cruel joke, in terms of official player support. 
Sign In to post comments