New, Halfling Character

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok so lets first start by saying, i'm new, i just started yesterday to do my Solo adventure. I have never ever played this game before, ever! so can somebody please help me out, please (help a brotha out (ignore that)).

To make this much easier ill show pictures.
Ive notice there is A LOT of differnt chracter sheets out there but ive scanned the one i'm using which came with the Red Box.

so thats the character sheet i'm using.
For now i believe i only have three questions, maybe four but in this discussion fourm i only have two.

With this other picture you can see exactly what my character is.

(yes i know i got terrible writing and yes Tokka (like the turtle in TMNT haha i didnt realize it when i wrote it))
So as you can see i got +2 on all untrained skills. the book said i could pick one from this list (unless i was a human) so i picked "Jack of all trades" i figured it would benifit me as a fighter that can't be trained in a lot of things.

also as a halfling i get plus +2 on both Acrobatics and Thievery.  which is why its +4 on acrobatics and Thievery.

MY QUESTION IS!

1.)Do i add +2 of the Dexterity Mod to the Acrobatic, Stealth and Thievery?
2.)When i do get trained in a skill do i have to take away the +2 from "Jack of all Trades" because its only +2 on Untrained skills.
3.)Also What is Passive Insight and Passive Perception! the book told me to add it to my character sheet but i have no idea where it is! 
1) Yes. The score you get in a skill is:

Half level (rounded down) + Ability mod + Trained + other bonuses (racial, items, etc).

So in your case that would be 0 + 2 + 0 + 4 (Jack of all trades and Racial) for a total of +6 for Acrobatics and Thievery. In the same way, you get +4 for Stealth.

2) Yes. It's supposed to make you "half trained" in all skills. A trained skill doesn't get the bonus.

3) 10 + the skill score. So in your case, 12 for both. As for where to write it on the sheet, I have no idea.
Thank you very much i apprecaite that i was worried i was playing it all wrong. but thank you!
unfortunately being a halfling I don't believe you can use a greatsword, I may be wrong on that one though.
If you have any ideas on his background I'm sure we would all love to help you there as well
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!

Halflings are Small characters, so they can't use two-handed weapons and must use one-handed weapons with the versatile weapon property such as the longsword in two hands (but don't get the +1 damage for doing so).

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

That's interesting, because the book just told me to put it down. let me go ahead and go back to the "Players Guide" book and see what it really is. 
*checking...*

(as you can see i love scanning)
But yea from here it didnt say anything about Halflings not being able to use Greatsword, but that could differntly be only because its a starter kit, if i was using the essentials books it would be differnt. But i guess that would be another question.
1.) Can i use a Greatsword? or should i just write down sword like the book.

Also background?
Well he is a fighter...haha i'm not too sure what you mean by his background :O ahh doing all of this wrong arent I? XD 

Quite frankly, there are some glaring errors in the starter kit... It was actually published while they were still finalizing the rules, and a couple of things were changed inbetween the time it was written and when it went to print. There is a conversion document available on the main game site if you search for it. I don't have the link handy right now.
 (Also, one of the things that irks many people about the starter kit is that it doesn't at all explain why you're supposed to do the thngs you're told to do, particularly how you actually figure out the numbers you're writing down on your sheet. It was largely written on the asumption that you were immediately going to out and buy the actual player books and remake your character when your playing group started a real campaign after the adventure in the starter kit.)

Here is the text of the official rules for Small characters, which include Halflings and Gnomes. Pixies also use thse rules, although they're actually Tiny in size....

" Small characters follow most of the same rules as Medium ones, with the following exceptions.

- You can’t use two-handed weapons, such as greatswords and halberds.

- When you use a versatile weapon, such as a longsword, you must use it two-handed, but you don’t deal additional damage for doing so."

These are the rules you'll be using for your halfling character once you move beyond the solo adventure in the starter kit.
 Things such as the versatile weapon property (which allows you to hold that one-handed weapon with that property in two hands to do more damage) and the small weapon property (which allows a two-handed weapon with that property to be used by Small characters) are explained in the actual player's books you should be eventually be picking up once you actually start playing the full game...

As far as the character's background, what and who is he other than a sheet full of numbers? Your character class is a set of job skills - how and where did he get them? What's his personal history, his personality, his favorite color? Is there an actual in-character reason he compulsively sets all his enemies' corpses on fire (i.e., his warrior culture believes in honoring worthy enemies by giving them a viking-style warrior's funeral), or is it just your latent pyromaniacal tendencies expressing themselves?
 You can play a game just using the numbers on your character sheet and pushing whatever pog or miniature represents your character around the game map like a board game, or you can develop a fully three-dimensional character who acts based on his personal philosophy and morals rather than simply what happens to be the most efficient way to get past the current situation like you would while playing a video game...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

humm, i guess i should first pick up the players handbook then

luckily for me about 6 miles away i found a nice comic store that does D&D nights every wednesday from 5-8. hopefully i will learn more about this game from that. I appreciate all you help, and will deffinitly pick up the Players hand book as of now. Thank you everybody  
D&D encounters yay!! I recently joined my local store's group as well, happy hunting!
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Sign In to post comments