What is the Tain scion up to?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
In my Eberron game the PCs are all goblinoids from Darguun. They are currently trying to start a war between Thrane and Breland so Darguun can safely declare war on Valenar without getting dogpiled.

They have discovered that one of the younger sons of the Tain family disappeared 6 months ago. So the group is impersonating him and spreading rumors he's a werewolf and brutally murdering Silver Flame priests in Breland.

At this point I haven't decided where this Tain son went or why. Any ideas?

PS
He went to Zilargo on a business trip.  Beyond that, I have some more ideas, but they are all quarter baked. 

Author of Elementalism in Atlas Games' Occult Lore. DAZ 3D

So why is his trip to Zilargo so secret he disappeared off the face of the earth to complete it?

And get those other ideas up to half baked and throw 'em at me!

PS
Who is to say the players are not correct? Except that he is not a mindless killer, merely somebody looking for a cure to a curse and keeping a low-profile? I am sure he will not like it what the players are doing ;)
Perhaps when traveling in the wilderness he was attacked by a lycanthrope once. After falling unconscious  after being attacked, he woke up largely unharmed, and considered that the Silver Flame saved him. Thus he converted (was an atheist first). Grateful and full of devotion, Thrane asked him to help secretly investigating the murders of Silver Flame priests in Sharn that were suspiciously taking place by an apparent serial killer who left the symbols of the Host and Breland on the corpses, and sometimes left notes saying "foreign powers, begone!"
All the PCs know is that he was suspiciously seen near the crime scenes by some witnesses and that he disappeared after the last murder was committed.
LOL.

The Tain is definitely NOT actually a werewolf. :D That would be too far fetched, especially since I stole the players' idea for the last adventure.

PS
Some random ideas...

1) There never was an ir'Tain. He was the role of an agent of the Lords of Dust, the Chamber, the Cabinet of Faces, etc, and has been "retired" recently. When the faction which used him figures out that someone else is using his persona, they are in for far more trouble than they bargained for.

2) Ir'Tain is an agent of the Citadel, and on a secret mission. Currently, the Citadel is beginning to investigate stories of his appearance in Breland and has already dispatched several chief agents. Perhaps a "burn notice" has been issued, causing problems to the real ir'Tain, who suddenly loses support, while the agents dispatched to the impersonator are under orders to terminate him with extreme prejudice.

3) Ir'Tain has dishonoured his family and now lives in Dreadhold. As Kundarak can easily check whether he's still in his cell, people know he is being impersonated - but it may be in their interest to let the PCs go ahead with it. Some ir'Tains support the parliamentarian movement, and may exploit brewing trouble to discredit the King.

4) Ir'Tain is dead. The world out there is dangerous, and he may have gotten killed while travelling. His body was never discovered. Even the road from Sharn to Breland can be dangerous, between random bandits, deserters, and assassins sent by rivals. Other areas of the world also include wandering monsters which do not leave many traces, cults of the dragon below who like to invite travellers to and as dinner, and so forth.

5) Ir'Tain has developped an aberrant mark, and has gone into hiding, possibly on his own or supported by Tarkanan.

My Eberron Characters. Commissions by various artists on Deviant Art.

Those, sir, are some fantastic ideas!

thanks!

Any one else want to chip in, I'm still collecting ideas.

PS
I particularly like:

3) Ir'Tain has dishonoured his family and now lives in Dreadhold. As Kundarak can easily check whether he's still in his cell . . .

By the Host, he's not in his cell! What's he doing in Starilaskur?!

PS
You'd have to explain why he is not in his cell, though. Getting out of Dreadhold requires some serious effort. Kundarak is not in a habit of misplacing prisoners, so this still begs the question where he is and what he is doing.

And why that masked guy King Kaius said nobody was to speak to is missing as well... ;)

You'd have to explain why he is not in his cell, though. Getting out of Dreadhold requires some serious effort. Kundarak is not in a habit of misplacing prisoners, so this still begs the question where he is and what he is doing.

And why that masked guy King Kaius said nobody was to speak to is missing as well... ;)

I won't have to explain yet - the troubles can unwind for a while.

Maybe he was in the Dreadhold because he started sprouting an Aberrant Mark, and the Tarkanan sprung him. So the Dark Lanterns (and the Tains) will be searching for the real ir'Tain, and find the PC's false trail, and the Tarkanans will be looking into the false ir'Tain knowing him to be false, and the Kundarak will be looking both to find the real ir'Tain (possibly also finding our PCs . . . they haven't angered them yet) and to plug the hole in Dreadhold.

So I have 3 or 4 powerful groups chasing the PCs while they try to reignite The Last War. Seems about right for Paragon tier. :D

PS

I won't have to explain yet - the troubles can unwind for a while.

Maybe he was in the Dreadhold because he started sprouting an Aberrant Mark, and the Tarkanan sprung him. So the Dark Lanterns (and the Tains) will be searching for the real ir'Tain, and find the PC's false trail, and the Tarkanans will be looking into the false ir'Tain knowing him to be false, and the Kundarak will be looking both to find the real ir'Tain (possibly also finding our PCs . . . they haven't angered them yet) and to plug the hole in Dreadhold.

So I have 3 or 4 powerful groups chasing the PCs while they try to reignite The Last War. Seems about right for Paragon tier. :D

PS

Not to mention the Templars of the Flame looking into the lycanthropic outbreak. 

It would be interesting if the PCs manage to get the Thranes onto the trail of the Brelish agents. Dark Lanterns found to be operating on Thranish soil in connection with several brutal murders could set off the war rather quickly, if the PCs play their cards right.

As for angering Kundarak: the PCs actions risk making the real ir'Tain's escape from Dreadhold public. I'd say the last thing Kundarak wants is for anyone to know their fortress-prison has been compromised. They'd have to close the case quickly before one of the Chronicles starts to get interested and researches the background to the brutal murders of Starilaskur. 

Sign In to post comments