CotMD vs Avacyn's Glory

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I love green ramp decks with massive creatures, so CotMD is my favorite deck.

But every time I play against AG (which is often), I get curbstomped. As soon as my opponent gets an Angelic Overseer, it's simply over. My Grazing Gladeheart cant out-heal more than one of them, my Elzdrazi get chumpblocked by them + a half dozen tokens or just get Pathed, I dont have any removal other than All is Dust for removal, and on top of all that, the one glaring flaw:

I cant block flyers. 

The only removal CotMD has is Terastodon. Which can only remove their humans, not the Angelic Overseers. And when Avacyn herself is out, I might as well just leave the game.

And the biggest problem of all? Baneslayer Angel. Lolwut.
how can therastodon remove humans?

don't run gladeharts and rush for 6 mana with elves 
how can therastodon remove humans?

don't run gladeharts and rush for 6 mana with elves 

You're right, I'm a moron. Havent actually lived long enough to use it, mis-read it. Guess I cant even do that, then.

I removed the Gladehearts after it became clear that they werent doing the job. The Elves are nice but still dont solve the problem of a turn five indestructible flying Angel swinging for 5 every turn that essentially kills me a couple turns later.

There is literally no answer to it. If I had a couple spiders to block to buy time I could probably survive, but there isn't a single creature in CotMD that can beat flying.
At the end there is really no fixing this match up, your options are limited. All is Dust is your best friend and you will get a third one in the promos. The Eldrazi are not very good other then the Artisan. I say run mostly creatures with trample and hope that Vigor can help with all that chump blocking but honestly I doubt your creatures will be on the board for long anyways.
Do you really run into players "most of the time" who drop Angelic Overseer on the 5th turn?

It seems like maybe you are talking about Angelic Overseer as the theoretical thorn in your side, when maybe you are actually losing to Avacyn for other reasons.  If you run into it a lot, are they pummeling you before you can stabilize, or are you able to stabilize but not get threats onto the board before they can draw into the Overseer (or some other giant card), or something else?  What is actually happening when you encounter this match up?

Do you really run into players "most of the time" who drop Angelic Overseer on the 5th turn?

It seems like maybe you are talking about Angelic Overseer as the theoretical thorn in your side, when maybe you are actually losing to Avacyn for other reasons.  If you run into it a lot, are they pummeling you before you can stabilize, or are you able to stabilize but not get threats onto the board before they can draw into the Overseer (or some other giant card), or something else?  What is actually happening when you encounter this match up?

They just get a ton of small humans with a Mentor of the Meek or a Champion of the Parish and keep on the pressure while I try to survive till I get something larger than a 2/2. Usually when I manage to get my first big beater like a Scute Mob or Primeval Titan, it either gets Pathed or taken away with Fiend Hunter or Oblivion Ring, or they have so many creatures that I cant block them all. If I'm really unlucky, they'll have an Unruly Mob or an Honor of the Pure so even if I DO block them, I tend to lose a creature for it and pump his Mob.

If it was just that, I could handle it. Usually on turn 4 or 5 I can have an Ulamog's Crusher or something equally as large. The Gladehearts were nice for buying time, but more often than not just slowed down my ramp more than anything.

But then they get an Overseer and start swinging for 5 every turn. I literally cannot stop them at this point. I dont have anything that can take one of them out. If I have one ready I can use All Is Dust, only to catch another Baneslayer/Overseer two turns later.
I love Mul Daya but I concur, Glory is the one deck that consistently beats me. I'd say I lose to that deck about 70% of the time when using Mul Daya. COTMD really needs a couple Bramblecrush or something.

Whatever The Market Will Bear 2015 brought to you by Wizards of the Coast.

avacyn is the most overpowered deck (until the promos come out, than mind maze will be unbelievable). it's normal to lose against it. i never lost cause of overseers tough. he just smashes my **** before i drop my second big creature (first is the titan that regularly eats a path to exile, o ring, fiend hunter
Well, your first paragraph sounds much more like the typical match up between AG and CoMD.

The problem is two fold:

• AG is intensely aggressive, which means that if you don't die before you can do something you will at least be in the hole by that time.

• most of CoMD's threats are easy targets for Path of Exile, FiendHunter, or Oblivion Ring.

From your description, though, it sounds like you are getting to the point of being able to play a beater, but it's just not enough.  If you're losing the damage race, you may need to slow down your opponent's tempo (think chump blockers, life gain).  If your problem is that your threats are being instantly neutralized, perhaps rethink which threats you are running in order to get additional mileage out of them (maybe spore mound, titan, or terastodon) or perhaps figure out ways to have more threats coming (Oracle/card shuffling to thin the deck or reject next draw looking for more beef).

If you are able to hold off the horde of humans, I just can't imagine the angel being your death knell.  Not having sufficient creatures on the board to keep the opponent at bay, however, is another story.  In games when I've won with CotMD against AG, I can't imagine Overseer being the end of me because I would outpace the damage with lifegain while overwhelming their defenses or forcing them to sac out all their cards.