Let's talk about YMTC Champs 2013

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Our year is half-way done and presumably, as the current YMTC Champ, I will be hosting this December's time-honored competition. At least, that's been the recent pattern since Gardevior left our pastures. If you haven't been around for a Champs, it's a competition held at year's end where individuals are nominated into categories that celebrate specific facets of card design, then a single criteria showdown determines the YMTC Champion of that year. With all this in mind, I felt like discussing how the whole process is run. Here are some questions to mull over:

1. Should former Champs be able to participate? Traditionally, former champs have been the criteria makers, and that doesn't look to change. But they've also been disallowed to compete. I've always felt that either choice was fine. However, I do think that perhaps allowing all former champs except the current champ to compete might be a better way to go. Creating the criteria is a conflict of interest, but otherwise, I'm all for more inclusion. Champs doesn't need to be Idol, after all.

2. Should self-nominating be allowed? There hasn't been a clear concensus on this that I recall, though I'd tend to think the answer most people would give is "no".

3. Should self-voting be allowed? This is a different animal altogether and I could see this going either way. Once you've been nominated in, your motivation to vote for yourself is clearly strong. 

And the subject I want to talk most about...

4. The current categories for inclusion are:

- Most Creative Mind
- Best Sounding Board (advice giving, wording corrections, card commenting, etc.)
- Best Contest Host
- Best Set Designer
- Future R&D Intern (who seems fit to be part of making actual Magic)
- Best Newcomer
- Invitational

Should all of these categorires remain? And what categories are we missing out on?
I think we need a new category that encompasses Best Set Designer but allows for more entries. It has traditionally been a category dominated by a few diehard set creators and hasn't allowed for much in the way of competition. I could see a few other categories being merged, a few others being created.

Tell me what you think. I'll open some polls if necessary. Also, if there are any other issues you feel should be addressed or any proposals you think would work out, share them.
Let's not.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Best "Big Picture" Designer should replace Best Set Designer, but with a better name. I don't really like self-nomination and self-voting. I'm fine either way regarding former champs being allowed or not, tending towards the "allow them" bit.
I should probably do something so I can be nominated. I got in invitational that one time but I don't think I can count on that again.
My thoughts:

1) I guess. I'm reasonably ambivalent about this one. Inclusion is good and all that.
2) NO. This really bugs me. The only slight problem I see with barring it is that you get reciprocal nominations, but even they are generally evened out in the vote stage.
3) Again NO

I wouldn't mind seeing a Vorthos vs Melvin type category approach that rewards different design strengths. I don't know if that granulates / replaces / is in addition to Creative Mind.

I like Rio's suggestion. 
I agree with Imi 100 Percent - including Rio's idea. I feel like just following the Rarity Game you can see that some of the designers around here - maybe they don't build entire sets - but their knack for Commons and Uncommons when so many people only post Rares and Mythics is something that should be rewarded.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
If Card of the Week makes it all the way to December, I propose adding the Card of the Year Winner to the contest.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
1. Sure. If you're still the best, why shouldn't you get the spot?
2. No. If you can't convince anyone else you deserve a nomination, you don't deserve it.
3. Also no.
Agree with Rio's idea.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

1) no. they have their title, let someone else get it.
2) no. self nomination just encourages you to not nominate others who deserve it.
3) yes. once you've been nominated, you're just gonna not vote in that category, so letting you vote for yourself is better.
4) Flavor Lord would be nice. Best Razorborne.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
3) yes. once you've been nominated, you're just gonna not vote in that category, so letting you vote for yourself is better.

That's a good point. Historically I know it's vote for however many categories you like - would it turn voters off to say your votes would only count with a full panel?

Historically I know it's vote for however many categories you like - would it turn voters off to say your votes would only count with a full panel?

Probably yes? If, say, you have no interest in contests, making you pick a Best Contest Host seems silly.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

That's a good point. Historically I know it's vote for however many categories you like - would it turn voters off to say your votes would only count with a full panel?

or just let people vote for themselves.

Or just let people vote for me.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

hey rush you gotta submit something for Chopped
Best contest host has nothing to do with designing cards really so it seems out of place with the other categories. 
Best contest host has nothing to do with designing cards really so it seems out of place with the other categories. 

but it's a good thing to reward 'cause then we get more good contests

Eh, only if you think people design contests thinking of being nominated for Champs.

4) Flavor Lord would be nice. Best Razorborne.

sorry for not counting you earlier pablo.

I only accept apologies in the form of pie wedges.

fair enough. you can have a Flavor slice.

Aw, my glob! Thank you! I am now the YMtC Flavour Lord! I have more flavour pie than anyone. I think we'll all live to regret this day.

dilemma.... elegance or history? Elegance of History >_<

The YMtC Flavour Lord says "Stay away from Flavour. It is the domain of the Gods. Your mortal eyes would melt within their sockets."

Honestly though, go History - you'll almost assuredly have no competition. Except that the YFL is kinda tempted to go over there now. Hmmm. . .

what have I done

Indeed. What have you done?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Yeah, I'm all in favour of Champs nominees being 'good community' type nominations. It is less likely that they win (depending on who and what contests obv) but 'positive contribution' is something it woul dbe good to recognise.
I will say this about contests, in some cases some really good card critique comes out of it. Plus you almost have to say the design card of the week and nominations fall into this category.
if I have to run;
champions is my universe
though I've got entire epic save the world for D & D I built in college

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
Those nominated for contest or community related things that don't involve directly making cards should get to be tested parallel to card making. Maybe make them judge things and have someone rate their judging.
Also, let's bring back "best game thread" so YMtC Rarity Game can finally get the respect it deserves.
You most definitely should not be able to nominate yourself.

I think you should be able to vote for yourself, for the reason razorborne mentioned.

I support Rio's idea, as well as the additions of Best Game Thread Card of the Year Maker and Flavor Lord.

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

we have like three game threads. 

Can a Game thread be a champion? >.<

Maybe Best Game Thread Creator? But that's like having one good idea in a year is enough to be a champion.

I don't know how it's been before, but that category seems to be very different to the rest. :>
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

1. Should former Champs be able to participate?

Absolutely.

On a related note, do you happen to have a list of former Champions?

From nothing came teeth.
Best Troll
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Speaking as a former Champ, I don't think champs should be allowed to compete. It would decrease the likelihood of reward for newer forum participants and make others users work for something they've already earned. It feels much better to win something if you only need to win it once.
Those nominated for contest or community related things that don't involve directly making cards should get to be tested parallel to card making. Maybe make them judge things and have someone rate their judging.

Then we can have a criteria for Best Judge of Judges

2005: Dream Spinner
2006: tyranno6
2007: Pegaweb
2008: Riorvard
2009: Detektor
2010: Elevate
2011: Mown
2012: Rush_Clasic

Everyone of those except Peggles is still around, and I bet with enough treats I could coax that owl out of hiding. Maybe we should have a "Champion of Champs" competition that's only available to former champs. 

2005: Dream Spinner
2006: tyranno6
2007: Pegaweb
2008: Riorvard
2009: Detektor
2010: Elevate
2011: Mown
2012: Rush_Clasic

Everyone of those except Peggles is still around, and I bet with enough treats I could coax that owl out of hiding. Maybe we should have a "Champion of Champs" competition that's only available to former champs. 

Once we have 8 a single elimination tournament for champion of champs would be awesome to watch.
No, no, no, and I dunno.

Oh my goodness, though, I cannot believe it's been so long since Pegaweb won champs.  It doesn't even feel like that long ago when we were trying to convince him that he should totally participate in a contest just this one time.  I miss that crazy owl.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
1. I have no strong opinion either way and I see both sides of the argument. So I don't much care, really.
2. No way.
3. No. If Contestant A wins over Contestant B by one vote because A selfishly voted for himself while B voted for someone else, it would be a sham.
4. I second the general notion for a "big picture" designer category. 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.