Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for July, 2013

167 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of July, 2013.
I like the full art for Garruk, Caller of Beasts by Karl Kopinski. However, it looks absolutely awful on the card. The coolest part is the bear which is completely obsured in the card. Garruk, though he looks good in the full art is actually not detailed enough to cover a whole art box. I suspect you already know of all this, and that that has driven you to write today's Arcana.

EDIT: Also, you chose by far the worst pose. 
I like the full art for Garruk, Caller of Beasts by Karl Kopinski. However, it looks absolutely awful on the card. The coolest part is the bear which is completely obsured in the card. Garruk, though he looks good in the full art is actually not detailed enough to cover a whole art box. I suspect you already know of all this, and that that has driven you to write today's Arcana.

Up to now I never realised how restricting the Planeswalker card frame (card type) was when it comes to the art. They need to depict an iconic character, which has to fill a majority of the card. This is also necessary to do that "escaping the card frame" thing, which they like to use with planeswalkers. I don't think the art suffers as much from loosing the bear as it does from loosing the forest...
But just look how it looses focus on Garruk if you use (almost) the entire art:

Still, the could've done something in between and let the Axe "breake" the frame restrictions... I totally agree that the cut art is sooo much worse than the original...

Also I don't agree that they chose the worst pose... the "Superman" pose is something I definitley don't wanna see on Planeswalkers.

Up to now I never realised how restricting the Planeswalker card frame (card type) was when it comes to the art. They need to depict an iconic character, which has to fill a majority of the card. This is also necessary to do that "escaping the card frame" thing, which they like to use with planeswalkers. I don't think the art suffers as much from loosing the bear as it does from loosing the forest...
But just look how it looses focus on Garruk if you use (almost) the entire art:

Still, the could've done something in between and let the Axe "breake" the frame restrictions... I totally agree that the cut art is sooo much worse than the original...

Also I don't agree that they chose the worst pose... the "Superman" pose is something I definitley don't wanna see on Planeswalkers.

I'm still not convinced about the pose. In Garruk I'd like to see the rare momentum where he stops to look over the horizon, or the instant he stretches his body after landing a high jump. He is the human equivalent to a magnificent beast. It is rare to get a good glimpse of him standing still. But when you do it's a site of awe. "Superman pose" comes close to describing that and isn't really something new. For example Jace, Architect of Thought, Gideon Jura, Garruk Wildspeaker, Garruk Relentless, Elspeth Tirel and, my favorite, Liliana Vess. In fact most planeswalker card art can be argued to be of a Superman pose. (I'm getting laughs thinking of a card art where Garruk climbs a rock.)
Saying that Event Decks are only slightly more competitive than Intro Packs is either under selling Event Decks or overselling Intro Packs.

Also, unless Chandra is in the Event Deck, I dont think you should put her on the box.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Hello dear WoTC! I'm a fellow fan of the game and I really enjoy playing it as it has everything I like about a game, however, as a supporter of the black color, I'd like to ask if it would be possible to be given a bit more of power. Currently I always get the feeling that as the color policy is "power at all costs" nothing ends being for free while the other 4 colors have. It comes to my attention that while white get cards like Fiendslayer paladin (basically a guy with b/r hexproof) and green cards like Witchstalker, black can only watch and sigh.

Cards like Shadowborn demon and Dark Prophecy are always punishing the players who use them and there doesn't seem to be a black creature with pro-white, pro-green with an useful ability which would be only fair in order for black to be able to compete with other colors.

What about a black antipaladin with pro white, pro green, first strike, deathtouch? fiendslayer paladin wouldn't be laughing now, would he? or a way for black to deal with enchantments. Oblivion ring effects are absurdly good against black, essentially becoming: "2W: remove target permanent"

Please, reconsider black color policies, it feels super nerfed as it is when it is compared to the rest of the color wheel (especially green, runner up: white). Please no more cards like : "When - comes into play, sacrifice every other permanent, discard your hand and lose 5 life" Flavor text: "Power at all costs". To get a 3/3 for 1B or things like that. Thank you a lot. Despite that little thing about my favourite color/faction being nerfed to the ground I love the game. Thank you for listening to us players and for continuing making the game.

Mauricio González  
Hello dear WoTC! I'm a fellow fan of the game and I really enjoy playing it as it has everything I like about a game, however, as a supporter of the black color, I'd like to ask if it would be possible to be given a bit more of power. Currently I always get the feeling that as the color policy is "power at all costs" nothing ends being for free while the other 4 colors have. It comes to my attention that while white get cards like Fiendslayer paladin (basically a guy with b/r hexproof) and green cards like Witchstalker, black can only watch and sigh.

Cards like Shadowborn demon and Dark Prophecy are always punishing the players who use them and there doesn't seem to be a black creature with pro-white, pro-green with an useful ability which would be only fair in order for black to be able to compete with other colors.

What about a black antipaladin with pro white, pro green, first strike, deathtouch? fiendslayer paladin wouldn't be laughing now, would he? or a way for black to deal with enchantments. Oblivion ring effects are absurdly good against black, essentially becoming: "2W: remove target permanent"

Please, reconsider black color policies, it feels super nerfed as it is when it is compared to the rest of the color wheel (especially green, runner up: white). Please no more cards like : "When - comes into play, sacrifice every other permanent, discard your hand and lose 5 life" Flavor text: "Power at all costs". To get a 3/3 for 1B or things like that. Thank you a lot. Despite that little thing about my favourite color/faction being nerfed to the ground I love the game. Thank you for listening to us players and for continuing making the game.

Mauricio González  

I couldn't disagree more.  Not only have there been pro grreen/white creatures, but I feel that mono black is one of the best mono-color options.  Blacks abilities to remove creatures, even those with pro-black via sacrificing, more than makes up for the no enchantment destruction.  Was I trolled?  Black is not nerfed and has the most powerful planeswalker in standard right now IMO.   Please do not move away from cards that can ptentially hurt you.  It adds to the game and makes those adrenaline rrushes from risking the whole game by playing them.  On top of that the deal with the devil idea behind them is very flavorful

Yes, black has to make do with Dark Confidant and Thoughtseize. Powerful, undercosted effects where the only downside is paying a bit of life.

Seriously, if you want to just pay mana for your cards with no risk, you're not really much of a black-mana fan. 
Building/tweaking new suicide black decks is one of my favorite Magic things to do. Watching your opponents reaction to you killing yourself while you try to kill them first is great fun.
In response to the deck posted today:

Ancient Ziggurat gets in the way on more then 1 ocasion:
- Promise of Bunrei (as mentioned)
- Activating Deathrite Shaman
- Echo cost of Mogg War Marshal
- Suspending Greater Gargodon
- Lingering Souls from the Side
- Lightning Bolt from the Side
- Fecundity from the Side

thats quite alot, and while you mostly need only 1 or 2 lands beside ziggurat and you'll be fine, it does quite restrict your options when you do have it in your openings hand.
I'd like to thank Sam Black for writing pretty awesome daily decklists.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
See ya, Sam.  It's been fun having you present/make decklists for us.

That said, Brave the Elements isn't in Standard, and I'm not sure if a card name got mixed up or if you thought it was in a more recent set.  Faith's Shield might fit in instead, but it's not so good since Fateful Hour will hopefully never be active.
See ya, Sam.  It's been fun having you present/make decklists for us.

That said, Brave the Elements isn't in Standard, and I'm not sure if a card name got mixed up or if you thought it was in a more recent set.  Faith's Shield might fit in instead, but it's not so good since Fateful Hour will hopefully never be active.

Actually, I think it's been said, but not spoiled, that Brave is in M14

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Whats the art from in the background of the Banned and Restricted list announcement on dailytg.com?

Is there a larger size anywhere?
It's just Avacyn Restored Island, #235. The "dark version" of the same art is Innistrad #255, and they put larger versions of all the arts to show the contrast in arcana 956.

The intro decks having 25 or 26 land seems so ridiculous.  I thought they were used as a way to get new players interested in the game, a way to get them started.  I accepted that there were going to be a handful of "bad cards", because it allowed the new players to realize that there are cards that were better for their deck and allowed them to "trim the fat".  But at 26 land anyone who opens one of these packs and then tries to play with it is going to be flooded on top of playing with mediocre decks.

I believe the logic is that new players enjoy playing big spells and would rather be mana-flooded than -starved. Therefore having some extra land should make it an more comfortable experience if you're just starting out. New players are, after all, who the core sets AND the intro decks are designed for.
If I was a new player, I would not buy ANY of the decks with 26 lands. Unless they were 3 color.
WotC, I was thinking of buying the red intro until I saw shivan dragon spoiled. I sensed it would be the other rare. It's not a bad card, but I liked the old art better. If it's in M15, old art please. Thanks.
If the other rare had been [c]flameblast dragon[\c], it would be an auto-buy, at least two.
What a great surprise to see LSV taking over Daily Decks.  I wouldn't have figured he has time, but this really has been an impressive run of authors.

Also even though it's not news, I can't help but be struck at what an Easy Mana format this is if Boros Reckoner and Vampire Nighthawk are playable in the same deck.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Trick Jarrett:
Starting when Magic Online returns from downtime on July 24, 2013, you'll be able to join Magic Online Cube events. For the prize payout, players will receive Rize of the Eldrazi booster packs!

Mike Turian
The Magic Online Cube returns once more, kicking off after the downtime on July 17th, 2013. 

classic and metaphorical.
I'm quite happy LSV is doing the daily decklists now. Would be amusing to see him post a couple of his draft decks some time...

As for the bwr deck, it's incredilby good in an aggro-infested metagame. Around 50/50 versus midrange, though a slight negative versus reanimator. The deck is reasonable against control (particularly post-board), but can be wrecked by renounce the guilds. I've been playing it for the last week and a half or so and have lost to aggro three times in around twenty games I think. 

To Trick Jarrett, and everyone else who love Magic art and flavor:

I was playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014, and noticed something pretty interesting. One of the loading screens, that appear in between games, is the art for the M14 card Scourge of Valkas. However, that piece of art is NOT the same as the final version in M14! The difference being that there are no arms/front limbs on the "dragon". As most of us know, in Magic, drakes have only hind legs and wings, while dragons have hind legs, wings, and arms/front limbs.

My best guess to this vorthosian oopsy:
-Lucas Graciano didn't know that Magic dragons were specifically different from drakes. (I checked Gatherer. This is his only "dragon" art thus far. I'm not counting Grave Betrayal as "dragon" art.)
-His awesome art was received and sent to Duels 2014.
-Someone at Wizards noticed the mistake, which he fixed in time for M14, but was too late for updating Duels 2014.

Mr. Jarrett, for the love of Bolas, would you please give us an Arcana about this facinating fun fact.

Thank you,

Jason_The_Argonaut 

IMAGE(http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=3650&type=card)
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

My best guess to this vorthosian oopsy:

-Lucas Graciano didn't know that Magic dragons were specifically different from drakes. (I checked Gatherer. This is his only "dragon" art thus far. I'm not counting Grave Betrayal as "dragon" art.)

Maybe you should, though.

Notice how the skeletal dragon in the art lacks frontal limbs.
I was playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014, and noticed something pretty interesting. One of the loading screens, that appear in between games, is the art for the M14 card Scourge of Valkas. However, that piece of art is NOT the same as the final version in M14! The difference being that there are no arms/front limbs on the "dragon". As most of us know, in Magic, drakes have only hind legs and wings, while dragons have hind legs, wings, and arms/front limbs.

Lucas Graciano wrote an explanation here.
Awww, looking back through all the old artwork for "Sympathy for the Minotaur" makes me so nostalgic. Magic cards used to be such a wide collection of different artistic styles and techniques, i wish they still were. 
Seraph of the Sword and its accompanying description highlights a particular bugbear of mine. We derive Seraph from Seraphim, Malach from Malakim, but we left Nephilim in its plural form to describe single creatures?
So we're celebrating the anniverssary by throwing Wizards money? Not to mention, if there's anything I hate about this game it's the MSRB of a booster pack.
Dear Wizards, you don't throw a party at a car dealership and tell everyone to buy a car when they show up. "International Crack-a-Pack Day", this is how customers are treated after keeping the company alive for twenty years? At least throw in a (sorry guys, Hasbro CEO's told us to come up with this 'gimic' and post this article) at the end. How about some creativity to entice and excite people to attend a 20th anniversary FNM: special 20th FNM promo, special FNM pack similar to the DoTP promo packs, or at the very least offer a free pack for playing if you want to celebrate the "new pack smell". Something, anything besides "buy a pack and post your pulls".

I am retaining some hope that the promise of twentieth-anniversary celebrations are indeed cause to break out the confetti and streamers. I was estatic for Modern Masters, but then someone forgot to push the print multiple copies button and I learned what supply and demand means. I was anxious/curious to see what a 20th anniversary would mean for a core set, but then I was told that when you rake your hand across a piece of plywood you wind up with a handfull of slivers, they're yours, you can't share them, so don't try to. Next up we have have FtV 20, which isn't so much of a question as "how much for a gallon of milk and a loaf bread" but rather a "how much for the herd of cattle and an acre of land?" Lastly we come to Theros, and I don't want to put any pressure on you guys, but unless I open up a pack that contains a six-legged unicorn hologram (not a holographic foil, think 2PAC) with the ability to summon me to some enchanted plane I might be a little underwhelmed with the way in which you "celebrate" an anniversary proper.

Really? After 20 years you come up with: hey, lets all buy a booster pack! Cause.. you know! Fresh Packs!

As mentioned above, just a special FNM promo, heck, maybe even just a thank you card, would have been better then asking us to pay.. money. The ****?
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. "International buy our product day!". There is no font angled enough for the "seriously???" I want to throw at this one.
Ho-lee-crap, that's tacky. 

That's beyond tacky, that's crass.

No, worse than crass, it's ...

-sigh-

... it's par for the course these days from WOTC.

Magic is dying, but instead of going out in a blaze of glory, it's a long, slow and painful burn.  
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
Obviously it's because they're embarrassed by most of those years.  I expect they're planning huge celebrations for 2021 and the ten-year anniversary of New World Order.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I am likewise a little flabbergasted by the "Buy Our Product to Celebrate All The Money We've Made Over The Years" day.  When I first started reading this, I thought it was going to say I could visit my LGS on that day for a free pack.  But the idea of just opening one...just for the sake of opening one...that I paid an already-too-high MSRP for...that's just insulting.
Lastly we come to Theros, and I don't want to put any pressure on you guys, but unless I open up a pack that contains a six-legged unicorn hologram (not a holographic foil, think 2PAC) with the ability to summon me to some enchanted plane I might be a little underwhelmed with the way in which you "celebrate" an anniversary proper.

They should just put the 2pac hologram in there honestly.
"We here at Wizards feel that the best way is to give gifts.

Gifts to us.

Specifically, money.

Give us money.

No, we're not going to do anything special for it. We kinda figured you could just buy the same product as usual. Y'know, regular boosters. Yup.

Happy, happy birthday to us!

Isn't this just great?"
Pfew.. I'm not the only one who thinks is just the ------- marketing ever.

Seriously Crack-a-pack day?!? Seriously?!?!!!!

I'm pro-Wizards, I'm pro-MaRO (big time), hell I'm even pro-Hasbro.. but this? This stinks bad.

Even if there is some kind of surprise, at least mention it, but I'm guessing there's none.

I am likewise a little flabbergasted by the "Buy Our Product to Celebrate All The Money We've Made Over The Years" day. When I first started reading this, I thought it was going to say I could visit my LGS on that day for a free pack.

They already have a day when they give out free booster packs. It is called Magic Celebration, and this is the third year in a row that they have run it.
I am likewise a little flabbergasted by the "Buy Our Product to Celebrate All The Money We've Made Over The Years" day. When I first started reading this, I thought it was going to say I could visit my LGS on that day for a free pack.

They already have a day when they give out free booster packs. It is called Magic Celebration, and this is the third year in a row that they have run it.

yep, free boosters, free "Deck" and play and win you could very well get even more free packs or prizes of some sort.
Sign In to post comments