DnD Next Gamma World

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anyone have any idea what DnD Next will mean for Gamma World? Should we be looking for an 8th edition in a few years? It already seemed clear that 7th edition was finished, but now that 4th edition DnD is almost done there will almost certainly never be any new Gamma World 7e material.
I'm hoping for very generic classes, maybe just one, and most of your character creation would be done via feat, skill and mutation selection, or maybe rolls for mutations. Random mutations could be maintained if done carefully.
I was under the impression that GAMMA WORLD is done, as far as WOTC is concerned. I suppose that the community could cobble together some rules that would fit Next....

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

Honestly it would be a bit silly if they just abandon it again.
Why?
Consider this: Even when under 4e rules, the niche system got quite the positive buzz from several places.

They could make a buck releasing it again, after the first waves of releases. Make it small, make it simple, make it colorful.
I think the 4E system fits GW very well. The spouses of our gaming group only play Gamma World because it is a lighter version RPG, quick to pick up and easy to play. They tend to shun heavy role-playing, and when I have the NPC's engage the players in debate and elaborate back stories, they get a bit glassy eyed. 

So remember this: With a discontinued ruleset, they can't mess with the rules anymore. 
I enjoyed these new rules. I hope they stick with rules. My only gripe about these rules was the character creation. I love the GW edition rules far better. It let you pick race(PSH, mutants, mutant animals, mutated plants) then it let you choose classes (Enforcers,Espers, examiners & scouts). I would want the new rules with 4th's character creation.