Reign of Winter 4th Edition Conversion

101 posts / 0 new
Last post

THE SHACKLED HUT
I have started on the conversion of the Shackled Hut. Looks promising and will take characters between mid 5th Level to 10th level at its end.      

As I am only copying the necessary game elements that should be used in the 4th Edition game, I have taken away all the great context, information, and stories which creates the magic of the Paizo product.
I therefore strongly advise you to purchase the Paizo products this conversion have been built upon, to run the Reign of Winter campaign. I did!
You can buy them here:
1. People of the North
2. Reign of Winter Player's Guide (FREE)
3. The Snows of Summer (Path #67)
4. The Shackled Hut (Path #68)   

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
People of the North Conversion: web.comhem.se/mwester/Reign_of_Winter/...
The Snows of Summer: web.comhem.se/mwester/Reign_of_Winter/...
The Shakled Hut: web.comhem.se/mwester/Reign_of_Winter/...

THE SHACKLED HUT: Gremlin's Curse
I have added my fist encounter new encounter to the Shackled Hut conversion [Page 5-6]. Doing it I also hade to create the bestow curse ritual [Page 7-8], as well as add the Jinkin monster to the bestiary [PAge 9-10].      

As I am only copying the necessary game elements that should be used in the 4th Edition game, I have taken away all the great context, information, and stories which creates the magic of the Paizo product.
I therefore strongly advise you to purchase the Paizo products this conversion have been built upon, to run the Reign of Winter campaign. I did!
You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
So, Rasputin Must Die arrived in the mail... AND IT IS AWESOME!  I really can't wait to see what you'll do with it!

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
So, Rasputin Must Die arrived in the mail... AND IT IS AWESOME!  I really can't wait to see what you'll do with it!

Looking forward to that one. It was the adventure that got me interested in the Reign of Winter adventure path.

/Myrhdraak

THE SHACKLED HUT: Event 3 and 4
I have done some more conversions during the Midsummer festivals here in Sweden. Event 3 and 4 has been converter [Page 6-8]. Not really happy with the Rimepelt yet [Page 10], and I also added a ritual for Putrefy Food and Water for the Gremlin encounter [Page 12].       

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: Huldra Conversion
I did a conversion of the huldra that I think managed to transfer most of the powers from the Pathfinder version. As you might have noticed, I have started to add a rituals field in some of these monsters. It helps convey many of the "outside of combat" powers that these creatures are supposed to have. It is a little strange that 4th Edition never did anything like that. These rituals have no in battle effect but can many times have roleplaying effect, or help in explanining the set up of some battles [Page 15].       

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: A1 and A2 Encounter
I finished the conversion of the A1 and A2 encounters [Page 8-11], as well as added the mindslaver mold [Page 18-19]. I also looked at converting the Rimepelt [Page 12-13]. Please have a look at that one and give your comments. Will it work? Is it unbalanced?

I also made some minor changes to The Snows of Summer. I realized I had not converted the Ring of Lifebleed, so that have now been added [Page 53 and 56]. I also updated the charm person ritual [Page 63-64]. Feedback on that conversion is also appreciated, as I am not sure it is too complicated or not.         

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: B and C Encounter
I finished the conversion of the B and C encounters [Page 11-12]. I also added a modified version of the 4th Edition Huecuva with some added powers and description from the Pathfinder game (gave more substance to the monster) [Page 18-19].

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: Up until G2
I have been off the grid the last week in the summer house. Managed to get some conversions made. So I am now at the G2 encounter. Did a rule tweak, introducing the melee trip attack for the trip capabilites of the new weapons introduced: horsechopper and ogre hook [Page 21]. Found som statistics for the snow goblin in the old 3.5 edition which I reused [Page 27]. Otherwise I think the conversion is going well, a lot of interesting challenges but new insights as well.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show
Great work! Keep going! 

THE SHACKLED HUT: G3 and G5
I added the Mirror Men conversion in the monster chapter [page 36-37], as well as the G3 and G5 encounter [page 21-22]. I also added the ice phlegm poison and the steadfast gut-stone magic items [page 24-25].

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: G6, G7, G9 and L1
These once went quite fast as I already had the Ice Troll since The Snows of Summer conversion, but I added them to the conversion for reference [Page 42-43]. I created a new version of the mirror men for G9, and added a couple of frost hounds to G6. For L1 I had to create the Caryatid Column for 4th Edition [Page 33-34]. Have a look at the shatter weapon and magic resistance powers. To powerful? I also added the Nightmare ritual [Page 32] which might cause some frustration among the players.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: L3 to L8
I have finished the lower level of Logrivic's Clock Tower, making it into two main encounters of appropriate level [Page 26-30]. I have added the Trollhound and the Wikkawak [Page 37, 47-48] to the monster conversions. I also converted the minor magic item - hand of the mage [Page 32].

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: L9 to L18
I have finished the upper level of Logrivic's Clock Tower, making it into two main encounters of appropriate level [Page 30-33]. I have added the attic whisperer [Page 40-41] to the monster conversions. I also gave old Granny Nan the Foe to Frog spell from Heroes of the Feywild, which I belive will give her the appropriate witch flavor.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: M1 to M2
I have started on Part Four: The Endless Forest. Got stuck with the Dawn Piper for a while until I felt happy with the conversion [Page 46-47]. Turning the elemental font into a terrain power solved the monster issue [Page 33-36]. Also added some more spriggan, which I think will make into a quite challenging encounter.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: M3 to M9
Got a lot done this weekend, you will find conversions for all the encounters M3 to M9 [Page 37-42]. The nuglub gremlins can be somthing for defenders in metal armor [Page 57-58]. The different elemental fonts for the dawn pipers are going to be quite fun to play as well. The baccae and their wine can also be something memorable [Page 51-52]. I also had to update the People of the North conversion as I added a potion of restoration in the healing magic item section.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Test to see if I can see this post in the new community

THE SHACKLED HUT: M10 to M11
Starting to get closer to the end of the Shackled Hut conversion. Finalized M10 and M11 encounters [Page 42-45]. Added the Ice and Bone Golem to the conversion [Page 60-61]. The bone golem is the 4th Edition version, so it do not have the same Powers as the 4th Edition version.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: M11 The Dancing Hut
Finished of the M11 encounter treasure by adding Emberchill, Everbloom Rose, Hyperberon Robe, Potion of Barkskin, and Potion of Shield of Faith to the treasure section [Page 48-50].

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: N1 The Cauldron Room
So here I am picking up the pieces again, after having spent some time on my Feat Compendium work and the H1-E3 Orcus Conversion. With some new energy it was fun getting back and attacking the conversion of Zorka as well as doing some modifications of the adventure with a new animated kitchen trap, as well as a small skill challenge with Zorka [Page 46-47, 49, 70].

I have also created a new ritual of the Kikomora Hidey-Hole ability [Page 57]. I think this is a good example of how 4th Edition could have evolved. Giving monsters rituals, not only give them off-battle abilities, but also inspires one as a DM how to use the monsters when building new encounters and the background of the adventure. It also clearly shows how monsters are using rituals in-between battles.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: N3 The Map Room
Converted the bone golem encounter in the Map Room [Page 47-48]. There is actually a 4th Edition version of the Bone Golem, which I used as a default. As always when converting from Pathfinder/3.5 Edition to 4th Editilon you have to add more monsters to make the figt relevant, so I created a controller version of the Bone Golem and gave it some of the Pathfinder Bone Prison touch. It could be a tough challenge for the players but if they have managed to get Zorka to trust them, they might very well have taken an extended rest before facing these monsters.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Glad to see this little project returning!  Keep up the excellent work as always.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

THE SHACKLED HUT: Adding Last Treasures
I have added the last treasures of the Shackled Hut conversion. I will have a look at adding Area Features to the encounters as well, and maybe some map if it is needed. Maybe it will be ready for Christmas?

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: Battle Map and Area Features
I have started adding Area Features for Encounter Event1 to A2. I have also provided a battle map for the Encounter A2: Mossy Cave [Page 83-84]. I have modified an existing map made by Michael K. Turney.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

THE SHACKLED HUT: Battle Map for Event 3
I have added a great map created by Michael K. Turney. I think it fits very well to the Event 3 encounter with the lost boy. I have also added a compressed RAR file with all the maps for your convinience.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show
The Shackled Hut: web.comhem.se/mwester/Reign_of_Winter/...
Reign of Winter Conversion Maps: web.comhem.se/mwester/Reign_of_Winter/...

THE SHACKLED HUT: More Battle Maps
I have added a another map to the portfolio. I am starting to realize that there is quite a lot of encounters in the Shackled Hut which are lacking maps, and there are quite few "winter" maps around. Question is if I should drop the map creation and area feature part and move on with the conversion, or do you appreciate having ready maps?

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Ok, here is some more modified maps from 4th Edition sources. I have given them a more wintry theme. Fitting to be doing this right during Christmas season  :-)

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Alright, now time for the really interesting/bizarre parts of the Adventure Path!  Multiple reflections of Yaga, Dragonriders in space, RASPUTIN, the epic showdown...

(Just curious, since guns are prominent in RMD, how will you handle firearm rules?  There are many great 3PP books on 4e and Firearms, but I dunno...)

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

Now I have added more maps to up until F2 the Fishcamp guards. I have also uploaded the full maps in the Map File.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

DoctorNecrotic wrote:

Alright, now time for the really interesting/bizarre parts of the Adventure Path!  Multiple reflections of Yaga, Dragonriders in space, RASPUTIN, the epic showdown...

(Just curious, since guns are prominent in RMD, how will you handle firearm rules?  There are many great 3PP books on 4e and Firearms, but I dunno...)

Yes I have found som 3PP books on the subject which I was planning to borrow from.

MAIDEN, MOTHER, CRONE: 4th Edition Co-converting Invitation

I am about to start converting the third adventure of the Pathfinder Reign of Winter adventure path - Maiden, Mother, Crone. It took me one year to do the first two adventures on my own. To speed things up I was hoping to get some happy co-converters that can help in doing this conversion. I will send over the needed material and conversion rules for those that want to help. You will have to own the apporpriate Pathfinder material for doing the work of course. If you are interested in helping write a mail to myrhdraak@spray.se and state which 3 encounters you want to start converting. I will start with Encounter A1 to A9, so please select some other part of the adventure.

As I am only copying the necessary game elements that should be used in the 4th Edition game, I have taken away all the great context, information, and stories which creates the magic of the Paizo product. I therefore strongly advise you to purchase the Paizo products this conversion have been built upon, to run the Reign of Winter campaign. I did!
You can buy them here:
1. People of the North
5. Maiden, Mother, Crone (Path #69)

Show
1. People of the North Conversion
2. The Snows of Summer Conversion
3. The Shackled Hut Conversion
4. Maiden, Mother, Crone Conversion
5. Reign of Winter Conversion Maps

HEROIC FEATS COMPENDIUM

I took me almost half a year, but finally I am finished .... with all 4th Edition Heroic Feats in one document, including all material from the dragon magazines (excluding all campaign specific feats for Eberron or Dark Sun, which I may add later)
It is 375 pages long, but it is easier to find appropriate feats as everything has been divided into sections - Essential style. It greatly made the feat selection simplier for my gaming group. It would have been a great book sold by WotC in this transit period to keep up sales. But if they don't - you have to do the hard work yourself.

/Myrhdraak

REIGN OF WINTER: XP Advancement

I realized I had not given any guidance as to the 4th Edition level progress in this conversion so I have added that section to both The Snows of Summer and The Shackled Hut. I am aiming that every book is roughly 4.5 levels long each. So by the end of the Shackled Hut, a party of five, should be at 10th level when they finish it. If I ever manage to do a full conversion of the whole adventure path the PCs should be at 28th level, leaving some room for the follow up adventures hinted at in the end of The Witch Queen's Revenge..

As I am only copying the necessary game elements that should be used in the 4th Edition game, I have taken away all the great context, information, and stories which creates the magic of the Paizo product. I therefore strongly advise you to purchase the Paizo products this conversion have been built upon, to run the Reign of Winter campaign. I did!
You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

MAIDEN, MOTHER, CRONE: A3 Chamber of Twilight

So, officially started on the third adventure in the Reign of Winter adventure path. Had to do some changes of the encounter and introduced shadow ravens instead of having a solo raven oracle. I think it will be an intresting encounter for any adventurers foolish enough to attack [Page 5-6]. Also added an XP Advancement section in order to provide guidance to any volunteers who are interested in helping out with the 4th edition conversion [Page7]. Send me a mail at myrhdraak@spray.se to learn more.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

MAIDEN, MOTHER, CRONE: A4 The Challenge of Strength

This was an easy encounter to convert. The CR 15 level of the boars might be a challenge, but as they are brutes with quite low Reflex and Will, I think the players will be able to overcome them [Page 6].

Any volunteers who are interested in helping out with the 4th edition conversion can send me a mail at myrhdraak@spray.se to learn more.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

MAIDEN, MOTHER, CRONE: A5 Chamber of Night

I did some changes to this encounter in order to not replicate A3 totally. The shadow ravens have been replaced with two winterbole rimeneedles [Page 6-7]. I have also added 2 rituals - detect thought and forced quiet.

Any volunteers who are interested in helping out with the 4th edition conversion can send me a mail at myrhdraak@spray.se to learn more.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

Have you considered also posting this on the 4E-and-beyond and Adventure Path forums on Paizo?  You might get some more interest and help that way.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

DoctorNecrotic wrote:

Have you considered also posting this on the 4E-and-beyond and Adventure Path forums on Paizo?  You might get some more interest and help that way.

I am not so sure Paizo would allow it, so I stick to WotC and EnWorld for now.

/Myrhdraak

MAIDEN, MOTHER, CRONE: A6 The Challenge of Wit

I think this is quite a scarry trap from a 4th Edition perspective. Three failed save and you are dead (12,5%). I added some skill checks to help as well.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show

MAIDEN, MOTHER, CRONE: A7 and A8 Encounters

I have added Encounter A7 and A8 [Page 9-11]. In A7 I added some dryads (updated with the Monster Vault statistics), and in A8 i made a solo monster out of the animate dream [Page 16-17]. Could become a memorable fight.

You can buy them here:
1. People of the North

Show