[Cunning Sneak] Can I stealth check after I use Deft Strike?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm a Pixie Rogue|Warlock with Cursed Shadow and Improved Cunning Sneak. If I moved at least 3 squares, then I use Deft Strike (shift 2 before attacking), can I make a stealth check before or after I attack? If it's before, than I guess it's not very useful.

This about the same as doing a stealth check after charging, which you guys have told me is a valid play but I need to convince my DM for both charging and Deft Strike.
You can make a stealth check at the end of Deft Strike, provided you meet all other prerequisits, since you'll have taken an action that involve you moving.

Unfortunatly, Improved Cunning Sneak won't apply because Deft Strike is not a move action and Shadow Walk won't apply because you didn't move 3 squares.

Action: The check is usually at the end of a move action, but it can be at the end of any of the creature’s actions that involve the creature moving.

FYI The feat Harlequin Style would allow you to move 3 squares with Deft Strike., which would bring on Shadow Walk's concealment and Cunning Sneak's ability to make stealth check with it if you ended up 3 squares away from where you started.
Ok you pointed out something interesting: while Cunning Sneak itself doesn't specify that you must make a move action to make a stealth check if you have cover, it just says movement:

Cunning Sneak class feature:
Show
If you end your movement at least 3 squares away from your starting position, you can make a Stealth check to become hidden if you have any concealment or any cover, except for cover provided by intervening allies.

However Improved Cunning Sneak does specify that it must be a move action:
Show
Benefit: When you make a Stealth check to become hidden using your Cunning Sneak class feature, you must end a move action at least 2 squares away from your starting position instead of 3.

I would have had the benefit of Shadow Walk ongoing from my previous move action since the concealment it grants me lasts until the end of my next turn. I would then be able to Deft Strike (move 3, then attack) and then do a Stealth Check. Let's hope the DM agrees (he may still believe that I shoud make the check strictly after I move but before I attack, wherein I lose my hidden status almost immediately).

So because Improved CS restricts you to doing it following a move action, while vailla CS doesn't, I guess Harlequin Style is definitively the best choice, and in case I didn't have Shadow Walk active, it gives me that too.

Thanks.

Quick question if anyone knows, does Harlequin Style stack with Hunting Wolf Style?

No you can only use one at a time.

D371 Pg. 9 Heritage Feats: If you choose multiple heritage feats (or feats that similarly modify at-will powers), you choose which feat modifies the power for the purposes of resolving the attack with the power.

MP2 Pg. 110 Using Combat Styles: You can learn any number of lesser and greater style feats. However, any single attack can benefit from only one lesser style feat and one greater style feat, and those feats must be associated with the same combat style. If multiple lesser style feats or greater style feats can affect an attack, you must declare which ofeach type of feat you are using before making the attack.

Thanks, had trouble finding the rule entry.
Risky Shift will solve this issue for you. It making you grant CA is irrelevant, you can't have CA against things you can't see.
Risky Shift will solve this issue for you. It making you grant CA is irrelevant, you can't have CA against things you can't see.

Well, you *can* have CA against things you can't see.  It just means that you are at -3 to make the attack roll instead of -5.

Well, you *can* have CA against things you can't see.  It just means that you are at -3 to make the attack roll instead of -5.

No you must be able to see a target to gain combat advantage against it.

RC 217 Able to See Target: A creature must be able to see a target to gain combat advantage against it. This rule means a blinded creature cannot have combat advantage against anyone.

No, you can't.  Having CA requires you to be able to see the target.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Regarding Improved Cunning Sneak: doesn't sound a little weird that they corrected Cunning Sneak in errata to reflect changes in Stealth as per Rules Compendium (no move action but any action involving movement) and ICS is still "tied" to a move action? Sounds like someone forgot updating the feat. Even without any official confirmation, I would allow ICS to be used with any action involving movement.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

It's worth pointing out that no matter what, you don't make the stealth check after the movement but before the attack:  it's at the end of the action.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Sign In to post comments