Who where the most powerful primordials?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am running a campaign that involves a massive battle with the primordials. Who where the most powerful, and where can I find stats for them?

I have so far:
Imix,
Ogremoch, and
Solkara

Who else is there??
I am running a campaign that involves a massive battle with the primordials. Who where the most powerful, and where can I find stats for them?

I have so far:
Imix,
Ogremoch, and
Solkara

Who else is there??

Don't just look at level, the more recently designed primordials are all more difficult encounters regardless of level.  If you want to use Imix, Ogremoch and Solkara I would update their stats with condition mitigation abilities.  Mual-Tar is the oldest design and needs updates to its damage and condition mitigation abilities.  I haven't looked at Balcoth, but it probably needs the Mual-Tar treatment.  Olhydra, Yan-C-Bin and Cryonax are the most ready to use, with Cryonax having the distinction of being probably the most challenging monster created for 4e (officially).  Any way:

Mual-Tar, lvl 35, Dragon 370 
Balcoth, lvl 33, Dungeon 178
Imix, lvl 32, MM3
Ogremoch, lvl 34, MM3
Solkara, lvl 34, The Plane Below
Olhydra, lvl 33, Dungeon 199
Yan-C-Bin, lvl 34, Dungeon 199 
Cryonax, lvl 34, Dragon 421  

If you have a DDI subscription their stats are available on the Monster Builder or Compendium (except Cryonax - not updated with its info yet).  Search by level in the Compendium and you will get them all.

I have so far:
Imix,
Ogremoch, and
Solkara

Who else is there??

Don't just look at level, the more recently designed primordials are all more difficult encounters regardless of level.  If you want to use Imix, Ogremoch and Solkara I would update their stats with condition mitigation abilities.  Mual-Tar is the oldest design and needs updates to its damage and condition mitigation abilities.  I haven't looked at Balcoth, but it probably needs the Mual-Tar treatment.  Olhydra, Yan-C-Bin and Cryonax are the most ready to use, with Cryonax having the distinction of being probably the most challenging monster created for 4e (officially).  Any way:

Mual-Tar, lvl 35, Dragon 370 
Balcoth, lvl 33, Dungeon 178
Imix, lvl 32, MM3
Ogremoch, lvl 34, MM3
Solkara, lvl 34, The Plane Below
Olhydra, lvl 33, Dungeon 199
Yan-C-Bin, lvl 34, Dungeon 199 
Cryonax, lvl 34, Dragon 421  

If you have a DDI subscription their stats are available on the Monster Builder or Compendium (except Cryonax - not updated with its info yet).  Search by level in the Compendium and you will get them all.

Thanks! These help a lot. 

Pretty impressive, but I have seen a harder monster than Cryonax, but I don't think he's official: Tharizdun, The Chained God was statted in a past forum.... somewhere....  I will post him for you as soon as I find him.  Be warned, he is a level 40 Solo Brute. 
To get a taste of how much damage this guy does: his recharge 6 power "effect: the target drops to its negative bloodied hit points and dies (no save)"

One, that's homebrew, and two, Tharizdun's a god, not a primordial. Yell
Thanks! These help a lot. 

Pretty impressive, but I have seen a harder monster than Cryonax, but I don't think he's official: Tharizdun, The Chained God was statted in a past forum.... somewhere....  I will post him for you as soon as I find him.  Be warned, he is a level 40 Solo Brute. 
To get a taste of how much damage this guy does: his recharge 6 power "effect: the target drops to its negative bloodied hit points and dies (no save)"

As I said, Cryonax is the most challenging "official" monster.  I have statted most of the gods myself over on this thread:  community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Many of these are more powerful than Cryonax.  But these are homebrew (if your interested the first post explains the design methodology) and they are Gods, not Primordials. I have Tharzidun in there as well (but a lvl 40 solo controller) on page 8 currently, though he is not the most challenging of the gods, that would probably be Tiamat. 

After I finish the gods (if I finish at this point) I wanted to stat the primordials.  With some using UK's super-solo rules:  eternitypublishing.wordpress.com/page/3/  In early works it was hinted that the primordials were more powerfull 1v1 than the gods (it took 3 gods to subdue Mual-Tar) so I want to create some really tough primordials.  But who knows if I will ever get to that now.  I am transitioning my game to a 4e/13th Age/5e hybrid, so I don't know if I want to make strictly 4e monsters anymore.   
Yeah, in any case 'level' really becomes fairly useless as a power indicator at the top of epic anyway. The difference between a level 33 and a level 38 monster is going to be fairly trivial overall, even though that same 5 level span from level 1 to 6 is pretty huge. Krusty (amongst others) has more interesting ideas anyway. At a certain point the basic creature rules just don't really produce interesting results anymore. In general I think you're well-advised to avoid the typical solo format for ultimate enemies. Its just not different enough from what characters have done since level 1. Something like Erek Hus (another highly powered Primordial) could be depicted as an entire MOUNTAIN that the PCs have to scale, fight with, and somehow defeat via various means. Much more thematic!
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Yeah, in any case 'level' really becomes fairly useless as a power indicator at the top of epic anyway. The difference between a level 33 and a level 38 monster is going to be fairly trivial overall, even though that same 5 level span from level 1 to 6 is pretty huge. Krusty (amongst others) has more interesting ideas anyway. At a certain point the basic creature rules just don't really produce interesting results anymore. In general I think you're well-advised to avoid the typical solo format for ultimate enemies. Its just not different enough from what characters have done since level 1. Something like Erek Hus (another highly powered Primordial) could be depicted as an entire MOUNTAIN that the PCs have to scale, fight with, and somehow defeat via various means. Much more thematic!

I totally agree with you.  The reason I asked for primordials is for the destiny quest in my three teir campign.  The quest is that the characters must defend the pillars of creation from being destroyed by the primordials.  The final pillar, however, is tattacked by a primordial AND the chaind god, and the players are defeated.  They then hae to defend the newly constructed Lattice of Heaven from assult by several of the remaining primordials (and Tharizdun) with the help of their patron dieties.  (each player plays their PC, as well as their PS's patron diety)
The conclusion of the campaign is that the gods defeat the primordials and finally destroy Tharizdun in what will, in future generations, be called the "Dusk War."   The PCs become minor gods, and help with repairing the world of the damage fom the war.

Just For Kcicks, Here's the stats for Tharizdun that I found:  (I will be changing this to better challenge the PCs)

Tharizdun, the Black Sun - Level 40 Solo Brute, Stage 1
Gargantuan immortal humanoid (god) - 555,000 XP
HP & Defenses:
HP: 947; Bloodied: 473 - Initiative: +0 (see Entity of Shattered Time)
AC: 52 Fortitude: 52 Reflex: 52 Will: 56
Perception: +36 Darkvision, Truesight 20
Speed: 10, fly 20 (hover), teleport 20
Immune: attacks by creatures below level 20, disease, fear, poison
Resist: 20 all, 40 necrotic, psychic
Vulnerability: 40 radiant
Saving Throws: +5 (+10 versus dazed, stunned, dominated, Charm, Fear, Illusion, and Psychic effects)
Action Points: 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Traits:
Harbinger of Madness * Aura 20
Whenever a creature other than Tharizdun starts its turn in this aura, Tharizdun slides the target its speed and forces it to make an at-will attack, or charge a creature of Tharizdun's choice as a free action. Enemies within the aura lose immunity to charm and fear effects and psychic damage. A creature that loses one or more immunities in this way is not subject to the aura's other effects.

Entity of Shattered Time
Tharizdun doesn't roll initiative. Instead he has a turn on initiative counts 50, 30 and 10. At the end of each of these turns, Tharizdun makes a saving throw to end conditional effects that don't normally end on a saving throw. Tharizdun only makes one set of recharge rolls at the end of his last turn each round.

Fuelled by Destruction
Whenever Tharizdun drops a creature to 0 hit points or fewer, or a creature drops to 0 hit points or fewer while in Tharizdun's aura, that creature dies and cannot be revived by any means until Tharizdun is destroyed, and Tharizdun gains a charge counter.
Standard Actions:
Melee Basic; Touch of Ineffable Madness (necrotic, psychic) * At-Will
Attack: Melee 5 (one enemy); +43 vs. Will
Hit: 6d12 + 9 necrotic and psychic damage. The target is maddened (save ends, see addendum at bottom).

Tides of Madness * Recharge 5+ or when first bloodied
Attack: Close burst 20 (each creature in burst); +43 vs. Will
Hit: The target is maddened (save ends).
Miss: The target is dazed (save ends).

Halo of the Black Sun (necrotic, psychic) * Recharge 5+ or when first bloodied
Attack: Close burst 20 (each maddened creature in burst); +43 vs. Fortitude or Will
Hit:The target is corrupted (save ends, see addendum at bottom) instead of maddened.
Each Failed Save: The target takes a cumulative -2 penalty to saving throws against this effect until it ends (max -6).
Aftereffect: The target is maddened (save ends).

Miss: The target takes necrotic and psychic damage equal to its healing surge value. This damage cannot be reduced in any way.

Banish to Oblivion (necrotic, psychic) * Recharge 3+ or when first bloodied
Attack: Close Burst 20 (one creature in the burst); +43 vs. Will
Hit:The target is banished (save ends, see addendum at bottom), loses 1 healing surge and takes a -2 penalty to all saving throws made against this effect.
Each Failed Saving Throw: The target loses 1 healing surge. Until this effect ends, the target takes a cumulative -2 penalty (max -6) to saving throws against this effect.
Aftereffect: The target returns to play in an unoccupied square of Tharizdun's choice within 20 squares of Tharizdun and is corrupted (save ends).

Miss: Tharizdun teleports the target 20 squares and the target is maddened (save ends).
Special: Whenever this power would cause the target to lose a healing surge, if the target has no healing surges left, it instead takes necrotic and psychic damage equal to its healing surge value; this damage cannot be reduced in any way.

Obliterate * Recharge 6+ or when first bloodied
Requirement: Tharizdun must expend 3 charge counters.
Attack: Ranged 40 (one creature, and each creature granting cover to that creature); +43 vs. Fortitude; this attack ignores cover and superior cover
Hit: The target is dropped to its negative bloodied value and dies.
Miss: The target takes damage equal to its bloodied value, is knocked prone, and is dazed, slowed and weakened (save ends all).
Minor Actions:
Countdown to Armageddon * At-Will (1/round)
Effect: Tharizdun gains a charge counter.

Sudden Madness * At-Will (1/turn)
Hit: The target is maddened (save ends).

Glare of the Black Sun * At-Will (1/turn)
Attack: Close Burst 20 (one maddened creature in the burst); +43 vs. Fortitude or Will
Hit: The target is corrupted (save ends).
Free Actions:
Ruinous Infusion * At-Will (1/turn)
Effect: Tharizdun expends any number of charge counters. For each charge counter expended in this way, he gains a +2 bonus to an attack roll, rolls to recharge a power, makes a saving throw to end an effect (even if that effect doesn't normally end on a save), or deals 25 extra damage.
Special: Once per use of this power, Tharizdun can take 50 damage in place of expending 1 charge counter. This damage can't be reduced in any way.
Triggered Actions:
Aspect of Annihilation (force, thunder) * At-Will
Trigger: Tharizdun drops to 0 or fewer hit points.
Attack: Close Burst 20 (each creature in burst); +43 vs. Fortitude
Hit (No Action): 10d12 + 7 force and thunder damage. Tharizdun pushes the target 20 squares. The target is knocked prone, blinded, deafened and stunned until the end of Tharizdun's next turn.
Miss: Half damage. Tharizdun pushes the target 20 squares and the target is knocked prone and dazed until the end of Tharizdun's next turn.
Effect: Tharizdun changes into his Stage 2 form. All effects on Tharizdun end. Tharizdun retains all charge counters from his prior form. Each enemy of Tharizdun in the encounter can spend a healing surge and regain an encounter power of their choice or 6 power points.

Salvation to Destruction * At-Will
Trigger: A creature within Tharizdun's aura regains hit points, gains temporary hit points, or makes an extra saving throw
Attack: Close Burst 20 (the triggering creature); +43 vs. Fortitude
Hit (Immediate Interrupt): If the target is making an extra saving throw, that saving throw automatically fails, and counts as a failed saving throw for the purposes of effects. Otherwise, the target does not regain hit points or gain temporary hit points and takes necrotic damage equal to the amount of hit points or temporary hit points it would have gained. This damage cannot be reduced in any way.

Brush With Madness * At-Will (1/turn)
Trigger: An enemy hits or deals damage to Tharizdun.
Target: The triggering creature.
Effect (No Action): Tharizdun uses Touch of Ineffable Madness against the target as no action, even if the target is out of reach, and Tharizdun has no line of sight or effect to the target. This attack counts as a ranged attack, and ignores all penalties to its attack roll.

Immortal Resilience * At-Will
Trigger: Tharizdun is subjected to an effect with a conditional duration.
Effect (No Action): Tharizdun makes a saving throw to end the effect, even if that effect doesn't normally end on a save.
Skills & Attributes:
Skills: Arcana +36, Athletics +46, Endurance +46, Bluff +36, History +38, Insight +36, Intimidate +36, Nature +36, Religion +36
Str: 53 (+41) - Dex: 23 (+29) - Wis: 33 (+31)
Con: 53 (+41) - Int: 33 (+31) - Cha: 33 (+31)
Alignment: Chaotic Evil - Languages: All, Telepathy 100
Equipment: None

Stage 2

Tharizdun, the Black Sun - Level 40 Solo Brute, Stage 2
Gargantuan immortal humanoid (god) - 0 XP
HP & Defenses:
HP: 947; Bloodied: 473 - Initiative: +0 (see Entity of Shattered Time)
AC: 52 Fortitude: 56 Reflex: 52 Will: 52
Perception: +36 Darkvision, Truesight 20
Speed: 10, fly 20 (hover), teleport 20
Immune: attacks by creatures below level 20, disease, fear, poison
Resist: 20 all, 40 force, necrotic
Vulnerability: 40 radiant
Saving Throws: +5 (+10 versus dazed, stunned, dominated, Charm, Fear, Illusion, and Psychic effects)
Action Points: 2
Traits:
Harbinger of Oblivion * Aura 20
Whenever Tharizdun hits a creature other than itself within the aura with an attack, that creature loses all resistances and immunities, and can't regain hit points or gain temporary hit points until all effects of that attack end. Whenever a creature other than Tharizdun enters or starts its turn in the aura, it takes 50 damage (100 damage while Tharizdun is bloodied). A creature can take this damage only once per turn.

Entity of Shattered Time
Tharizdun doesn't roll initiative. Instead he has a turn on initiative counts 50, 30 and 10. At the end of each of these turns, Tharizdun makes a saving throw to end conditional effects that don't normally end on a saving throw. Tharizdun only makes one set of recharge rolls at the end of his last turn each round.

Fuelled by Destruction
Whenever Tharizdun drops a creature to 0 hit points or fewer, or a creature drops to 0 hit points or fewer while in Tharizdun's aura, that creature dies and cannot be revived by any means until Tharizdun is destroyed, and Tharizdun gains a charge counter.
Standard Actions:
Melee Basic; Annihilating Touch (force, necrotic) * At-Will
Attack: Melee 5 (one enemy); +43 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 5d12 + 3 force and necrotic damage. The target takes an equal amount of ongoing force and necrotic damage (save ends). If the target is already taking ongoing force and necrotic damage, increase it by this amount instead. The target takes a -5 penalty to its first saving throw against ongoing damage taken or increased in this way.

Tides of Destruction (force, necrotic) * Recharge 5+ or when first bloodied
Attack: Close burst 20 (each creature in burst); +43 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 5d12 + 3 force and necrotic damage. The target is pushed 10 squares and knocked prone.
Miss: Half damage. The target is pushed 5 squares and knocked prone.
Effect: The target takes ongoing force and necrotic damage (save ends) equal to the damage dealt by this attack. If the target is already taking ongoing force and necrotic damage, increase it by this amount instead. The target takes a -5 penalty to its first saving throw against ongoing damage taken or increased in this way.

Scion of the Black Sun (force, necrotic, zone) * Recharge 4+ or when first bloodied
Attack: Area burst 2 within 20 squares
Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of the encounter. At the start of each round, the size of the burst increases by +1. The zone blocks line of sight and squares within the zone are totally obscured. Creatures and objects cannot teleport while in the zone. While in the zone, moving to a square in the zone further from the origin square costs 3 additional squares of movement. Whenever a creature enters or starts its turn in the zone, the zone attacks that creature with Banish to Oblivion as no action. Tharizdun ignores all effects of the zone.

Obliterate * Recharge 6+ or when first bloodied
Requirement: Tharizdun must expend 3 charge counters.
Attack: Ranged 40 (one creature, and each creature granting cover to that creature); +43 vs. Fortitude; this attack ignores cover and superior cover.
Miss: The target takes damage equal to its bloodied value, is knocked prone, and is dazed, slowed and weakened (save ends all).

Utter Annihilation * At-Will
Requirement: Tharizdun must expend 10 charge counters.
Attack: Close Burst 20 (each creature in burst); +43 vs. Fortitude; this attack ignores cover and superior cover.
Minor Actions:
Countdown to Armageddon * At-Will (1/round)
Effect: Tharizdun gains a charge counter.

Expunge * At-Will (1/turn)
Hit: The target takes ongoing force and necrotic damage equal to its healing surge value (save ends). If the target is already taking ongoing force and necrotic damage, increase it by this amount instead.

Condemnation of the Black Sun * At-Will (1/turn)
Attack: Close Burst 20 (one creature in the burst taking ongoing damage from Tharizdun); +43 vs. Fortitude or Will
Hit: Until the ongoing damage dealt by Tharizdun ends, the target gains phasing and is weakened and insubstantial, and if the target fails two or more saving throws against that ongoing damage after being hit by this attack, it dies, leaving no remains. Tharizdun ignores any insubstantial quality gained in this way.
Free Actions:
Ruinous Infusion * At-Will (1/turn)
Effect: Tharizdun expends any number of charge counters. For each charge counter expended in this way, he gains a +2 bonus to an attack roll, rolls to recharge a power, makes a saving throw to end an effect (even if that effect doesn't normally end on a save), or deals 25 extra damage.
Special: Once per use of this power, Tharizdun can take 50 damage in place of expending 1 charge counter. This damage can't be reduced in any way.
Triggered Actions:
Divine Discorporation * Encounter
Trigger: Tharizdun becomes bloodied.
Effect (No Action): Tharizdun discorporates. If Tharizdun cannot discorporate, he gains 3 charge counters instead.

Salvation to Destruction * At-Will
Trigger: A creature within Tharizdun's aura regains hit points, gains temporary hit points, or makes an extra saving throw
Attack: Close Burst 20 (the triggering creature); +43 vs. Fortitude
Hit (Immediate Interrupt): If the target is making an extra saving throw, that saving throw automatically fails, and counts as a failed saving throw for the purposes of effects. Otherwise, the target does not regain hit points or gain temporary hit points and takes necrotic damage equal to the amount of hit points or temporary hit points it would have gained. This damage cannot be reduced in any way.

Entropic Backlash (force, necrotic) * At-Will (1/turn)
Trigger: An enemy hits or deals damage to Tharizdun.
Target: The triggering creature.
Effect (No Action): The target takes ongoing force and necrotic damage equal to the greater of half the damage it dealt or its healing surge value. If the target is already taking ongoing force and necrotic damage, increase it by this amount instead. The target takes a -10 penalty to the first saving throw against ongoing damage taken or increased in this way.

Immortal Resilience * At-Will
Trigger: Tharizdun is subjected to an effect with a conditional duration.
Effect (No Action): Tharizdun makes a saving throw to end the effect, even if that effect doesn't normally end on a save.
Skills & Attributes:
Skills: Arcana +36, Athletics +46, Endurance +46, Bluff +36, History +38, Insight +36, Intimidate +36, Nature +36, Religion +36
Str: 53 (+41) - Dex: 23 (+29) - Wis: 33 (+31)
Con: 53 (+41) - Int: 33 (+31) - Cha: 33 (+31)
Alignment: Chaotic Evil - Languages: All, Telepathy 100
Equipment: None

Maddened:
While maddened, a creature takes a -2 penalty to its Will defense and saving throws against the effects of the creature that caused it to become maddened, is subject to all effects of that maddening creature's auras, and makes a saving throw whenever it takes an action or uses a power. If the maddened creature fails that saving throw, the creature that made the creature maddened makes all decisions for that action or power. If an attack made by a maddened creature hits a creature other than the one that maddened it, that creature is maddened (save ends), treating the original source of the maddened condition as the creature that maddened it (instead of the maddened creature).

Corrupted:
While corrupted, a creature takes a -5 penalty to its Will defense against the attacks of the creature that corrupted it and a -2 penalty to its saving throws against the effects of the creature that corrupted it. The creature that corrupted it chooses all actions for the corrupted creature, and enemies of the corrupting creature count as enemies to the corrupted creature. The corrupting creature cannot force the corrupted creature to take non at-will actions. If the corrupted creature's attacks hit a creature other than the creature that corrupted it, that creature is maddened (save ends), treating the original source of the corrupted condition as the creature that maddened it (instead of the corrupted creature).

Banished:
While banished, a creature is removed from play, and can't regain hit points or gain temporary hit points.
Phew! Its a bit hard to digest, but it looks like it could be pretty interesting. It will certainly be a challenging encounter that should require a good hunk of prep for capstone PCs. I think I'd be happy if I was a nice level 30 'brick' Warden about then...
That is not dead which may eternal lie