Any chance of a Points of Light fluff book?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
4e seems to be winding down, with the focus on reprinting old material and getting ready for D&D Next. Do you guys think we'll get to see a Point of Light Campaign Setting?

Rules gripes aside, I've come to love a lot of 4e's fluff. The thing is, it's scattered across thousands of pages in tiny pieces. A book jam-packed with lore, a la the old 2e settings (like Dark Sun and Planescape) would be really nice. Is anybody else interested? 
Shaman: "Why doesn't the squirrel shoot the wizard?" DM: "Because the last squirrel who tried to shoot the wizard missed, then was pulled out of his tree and incinerated." Wizard: "He has a point."
I wish but it doesn't seem like they care about anything we want from or for 4th ed. 
I would definitely go for a Nerath/Nentir Vale campaign setting book. I always thought that the setting had a lot of potential.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

The whole point of the Points of Light setting is that it doesn't have a predefined history or geography. That's part of the "Points of Light" concept, i.e. that we get a small amount of information but everything else is left undefined for the DM and PCs to decide for themselves.

I would rather they give us an updated 4e version of an old setting like Dragonlance or Greyhawk than try to make Points of Light into something it was never meant to be.

Also, there's already more material for Points of Light than there is for all of the other 4e campaifgn settings (Ebberon, FR, DS) combined. 
The whole point of the Points of Light setting is that it doesn't have a predefined history or geography. That's part of the "Points of Light" concept, i.e. that we get a small amount of information but everything else is left undefined for the DM and PCs to decide for themselves.

I would rather they give us an updated 4e version of an old setting like Dragonlance or Greyhawk than try to make Points of Light into something it was never meant to be.

Also, there's already more material for Points of Light than there is for all of the other 4e campaifgn settings (Ebberon, FR, DS) combined. 

Hmmmm.  They sure fleshed out the Nentir Vale in Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale.  As a point of light setting it sure has an in-depth history and geography.  For 'something that was never meant to be defined' Threats to the Nentir Vale sure invalidates your 'theory' (cough, cough opinion) of points of light.

Hmmmm.  They sure fleshed out the Nentir Vale in Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale.  As a point of light setting it sure has an in-depth history and geography.  For 'something that was never meant to be defined' Threats to the Nentir Vale sure invalidates your 'theory' (cough, cough opinion) of points of light.

This was always the problem with the PoL setting. It was supposed to be generic so anyone could use it, but they kept adding more and more details. So every product just make the Nentir Vale harder to use and less open. 

There's some fun stuff in the Vale but it's really the most generic land in genericville. WotC already owns a half-dozen generic fantasy worlds and really doesn't need another. And detailing the world just defeats its one strength: the ability of DMs to add whatever they want to the world.  

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

There was going to be a Nentir Vale Gazetteer, but they cancelled it.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

There are other options to add background: novels, comics and videogames. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I really liked PoL for reasons other than just the big sandbox. First it was a DnD's greatest hits but with a storyline that pulled it all together. Also it had a very clear and established reason for every monster and crazy PC race. The pulpy campy style of hooks were there, but with a more nuanced eye than stuff like DCC. Even filled out it made a very compelling setting to me.

Which is why I have so painstakingly worked on this:

community.wizards.com/nentir_vale/wiki/I...