Need help picking between Paladin and Battlemind for a Tiefling Infernal Prince.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is for a 4e Game. Characters start at level 1, there is a current cap of level 11 at the moment and no multiclass or hybrid characters allowed.
Also DM is not allowing Essentials Sub Classes. (IE cavalier, Theif etc)
The game is also more roleplaying/skill checks and less combat focused.
The game is also taking place in the default game setting world. (At the moment at least)

Character concept is Tiefling Royalty who traces his lineage back to the Kings of Bael Turath and Asmodeus himself was the sire of his Tiefling Bloodline.(Living Ancestor)
Ive picked Infernal Prince as a Theme and Vengeful Noble as a Background to represent this.
I will be taking Turathi Highborn as a Paragon path and Heir to the Empire as Epic Destiny.

I intend to be a Defender, since its what my group needs and fits in with the idea of a Noble Warrior type of concept leading from the front. (Though I am Tempted to do a Int/Cha lazy Warlord)

Im having problems deiciding between Paladin and Battlemind.

Paladin has great defenses and powers for a CHA focused character, but I dislike the Divine power source.(Afterall the People of Bael Turath got into their mess to begin with by relying on power from a outside source.) I also am having difficulty finding a Deity to best represent the character. I want to pick one that has the Sea/storm domain as this plays with the character concept well but im limited to Melora, Umberlee, and The Devourer. Not alot of options.

Battlemind has some nifty advantages and i also like the Defender/Controler aspect more then the Defender/Leader of the Paladin. It also works into the character concept a bit more about relying off his own powers and not something given. The Psionic power source and power points though come off as a bit weird for me though and im having problems interpreting them.

Can I please get some help from my fellow community members here to roll their insight checks and give me some pro/cons of both and how they compare? 

Thank you.

(Edit*** If it helps my party is striker heavy. Barbarian, Sorceror, Warlock and a undeicided Leader)
Paladin.  The class is better (Battlemind is pretty terrible, esp. when built as a Defender), and tieflings have a feat or two, especially Wrath of the Crimson Legion, that enhance your Paladin-ness.

Can you expand a little more regarding the character you're envisioning?  It's not clear why sea/storm is important, and people might have more comments or thoughts if you'd expand.  Especially because characters descended from someone like Asmodeus would often either be loyal to someone like, well, Asmodeus, or be directly opposed (maybe Bahamut, for example). 
Paladin.  The class is better (Battlemind is pretty terrible, esp. when built as a Defender), and tieflings have a feat or two, especially Wrath of the Crimson Legion, that enhance your Paladin-ness.

Can you expand a little more regarding the character you're envisioning?  It's not clear why sea/storm is important, and people might have more comments or thoughts if you'd expand.  Especially because characters descended from someone like Asmodeus would often either be loyal to someone like, well, Asmodeus, or be directly opposed (maybe Bahamut, for example). 

Well the character is inspired from several of the sources in Handbook Tieflings. Character is a decendant of Emperor Bael Turath the first ruler of that empire and Asmodeus. The character HATES Asmodeus, and his devils but also dosnt like having to gain power from outside sources (Like Divine) and thinks that the Tieflings should be more independant. He also has a long term goal of killing Asmodeus and freeing his people from the hold the nine hells has on them. (Whether actualy achievable or not)

For now the player follows his god but strives to become something more, a god of sorts himself so he can sorta be a Paladin of himself, thus focusing on his own powers.

Sea/Storm realm is just something that I envision as a Typhoon raging inside him fighting aginst his infernal nature and feeding his resolve.  Thematicaly I think Sehanes teachings would make sense for his choice and view point in life "Find your own way"

Most of this is way down the line in Epic tier of course.

Well the character is inspired from several of the sources in Handbook Tieflings. Character is a decendant of Emperor Bael Turath the first ruler of that empire and Asmodeus. The character HATES Asmodeus, and his devils but also dosnt like having to gain power from outside sources (Like Divine) and thinks that the Tieflings should be more independant. He also has a long term goal of killing Asmodeus and freeing his people from the hold the nine hells has on them. (Whether actualy achievable or not)

For now the player follows his god but strives to become something more, a god of sorts himself so he can sorta be a Paladin of himself, thus focusing on his own powers.

Sea/Storm realm is just something that I envision as a Typhoon raging inside him fighting aginst his infernal nature and feeding his resolve.  Thematicaly I think Sehanes teachings would make sense for his choice and view point in life "Find your own way"

Most of this is way down the line in Epic tier of course.

A paladin who doesn't like gaining powers from outside powers? Now that is a strange combo. With a story like that I would seriously concider going swordmage instead of paladin just to avoid the divine link.

Ofcourse it could be a really cool background story how he managed to convince a god to aid him or atleast convinced a paladin order to take him in eventhough in his heart he wasn't a real follower, but with a goal like that something nondivine like arcane would make more sense
Right, I'm also sort of thinking "Swordmage."  Think of him as someone using magic to recreate the powers of old, only without the bargains and deals that were necessary then.  The stats don't synergize quite as nicely, but you'll still be getting the +2 to INT.  And Swordmages are among the best defenders out there, as well.
If you don't want any magic at all, you could hybrid fighter/warlord.  This way you can be defender/leader and make better use of your theme and background skills.  Charisma and Constitution are both tiefling abilities that would complement this build.