DDI adventure tools vs desktop adventure tools

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

i refuse to believe i am the only user having this issue. i've scrolled back through 6 pages without finding any threads addressing this, although i'm reasonably certain this must've been addressed somewhere along the way.

i made a lot of use of the desktop adventure tools application. for me, one of the most useful parts of that application was the ability to copy & paste creatures into other documents (e.g., .doc) to create a nice, published adventure-style experience.

although i've been using the desktop adventure tools quite happily for months now, it seems that around a month or 2 ago--coinciding with installation of silverlight 5--the desktop app will not run, and the DDI replacement does not support the desired functionality (c&p of creatures into a document).

has anyone found a suitable workaround--or failing that, any way to keep the desktop adventure tools running?

You're not the only one having this problem. I suspect that if you went back about a year or so ago to when the online Adventure Tools was released you'll see many posts with the same complaints. The last 2 or 3 updates to the offline AT left it full of nasty bugs. On launch the new online AT was terrible but has been updated to the point where it is as good or better than the offline AT but for one troubling part: no export to rich text and no way to copy and paste.

You can use a free print-to-pdf software that will turn your monsters into pdf's and then you can try to copy and paste from that, but it's not perfect and I find it easier to just retype the info by hand. The nice thing about creating pdf's of the monsters is that you can easily put more than one on a page through a simple pdf editor.
huh...i don't think it ever occurred to me to look for a PDF editor. thanks!
huh...i don't think it ever occurred to me to look for a PDF editor. thanks!

"Cute-PDF" is a lightweight piece of software that quickly and easily lets you create PDF files through any software's print function. It's basically a virtual printer. Just make sure you choose 300dpi from the print preferences window when you use Cute-PDF. Any higher resolution will result in insanely large pdf files due to the bizarre way that silverlight creates print files from the D&D online tools.

i actually use cutePDF on my desktop & laptop. it's extremely helpful so i appreciate your responses. however, here's what i would ideally like:

i type up my adventures in MS word 2003 format. i would love to insert the monster details into the .doc file but am unable to identify any way to do so.

am i missing something? i do not have the full-blown version of adobe acrobat--just reader.

?

Just sitting here frustrated about trying to print my monsters too.
Thx for the PDF idea! =)

hey, came up with a solution!

OK, for each individual critter:

1) print as a PDF

2) take a screen shot of the PDF

3) c&p into a word processing document

4) crop out the rest 

this solution is pretty space-efficient, so green, too.

Given that WOTC has known about this problem for over a year and still hasn't figured out how to fix it, I don't see how anyone can conclude anything but that they hate their customers.  Viscerally so.  And their contempt runs so deep that they don't even feel the need to explain why they fail to implement such an easy fix that is wanted by many and disliked by none.  And since one can copy/paste from the compendium, it surely wouldn't make sense to say something about protecting intellectual property or some other such nonsense...

DMing since 1994.

Gaming tools I currently use:  Maptool, google docs, dundjinni, mumble

My 5e maptool framework:  bit.ly/1p8SRHZ

Lost Mines of Phandelver - Maptool file with all maps, vision-blocking, statted monsters:  http://bit.ly/1wgrIqF

hey, came up with a solution!

OK, for each individual critter:

1) print as a PDF

2) take a screen shot of the PDF

3) c&p into a word processing document

4) crop out the rest 

this solution is pretty space-efficient, so green, too.

What OCR program do you use?  I didn't see you mention that step, but obviously without OCR you can't copy and paste text (or are you saying to copy and paste the *image*??  Because that is barely better than useless)

DMing since 1994.

Gaming tools I currently use:  Maptool, google docs, dundjinni, mumble

My 5e maptool framework:  bit.ly/1p8SRHZ

Lost Mines of Phandelver - Maptool file with all maps, vision-blocking, statted monsters:  http://bit.ly/1wgrIqF

Sign In to post comments