Session 3 Field Report

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
We had 2 tables of Next (4 players each) and 1 table of 4e (6 players, including a DM).

Our 4e table included 3 leaders and 1 paladin with an off-heal.

One of the leaders (me) had a Battle Standard of Healing. I abused it for a round or two, then told the DM how his bad guys could disable it, since it was frustrating him. Then I made sure we killed the only bad guy who was close enough to do so, but at least it forced us to focus fire.

Several PCs are almost out of healing surges. One PC actually dropped to unconscious. Nonetheless, we were all topped off and had temp hp by the end of the encounter.

My lazylord sat at the table and drank beer for most of the encounter, triggering surges and attacks from her allies. 

We didn't even worry about the door and the mintarn soldiers. With as many healer PCs as we had, we put ourselves into a V formation, set up as many flanking opportunities and CA for our thief, and let the thief and the bladesinger have at it.

This DM, by the way, has a "rule of cool" where he will hand out circumstantial bonuses for doing innovative stuff at the table. Normally in Encounters, I find most DMs don't balance those bonuses well, but he does a great job with it-- the bonuses are always tiny buffs, usually about 1/2 as powerful as the Twitter Buffs we used to get, and maybe 1/4-1/2 as powerful as any fortune card.

We finished before 8 and I suggested that, since week 4 is a long session, we could run the skill challenge before wrapping up for the night. Our DM, who is new to DMing, agreed and did an excellent job with it. He even had the horses of the runaway cart bite my warlord as a "thanks" for the battle standard. Heh heh heh.

I hear reports that the Next tables went well, too. We had one completely new player, which was awesome, and we welcomed her with open arms and dice bags.

In all, a good tactical fight. We, as players, didn't take advantage of all the terrain opportunities, but I think that was fine in this case. With so many healers, we really just wanted to dig our heels in and force the bad guys to stay in melee with us.
This session felt more of a resource drainer that any plot progression one, but the tactical challenges it presented were an interesting change. My players didnt show interest in going door to door so I had the dwarf and his troops arrive, luckily the offer of a free drink convinced them to go to the Leviathan with him.

D&D Encounters Season 13 – Storm over Neverwinter – Session 3

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Field report for D&D Encounters: Storm Over Neverwinter (Week 3) now available at Dungeon's Master.com.

I got to do this session twice; once as a player, once as the DM. The confined quarters of the Beached Leviathan Tavern made combat challenging, but in both instances the party ended up split between the levels which made things a bit easier. This session was made for parties with strong defenders and controllers with Beguiling Strands, neither of which were present at either of my tables. Despite the limited mobility both tables had fun.

We discuss the ups and downs, what worked and what didn’t in this week’s Recounting Encounters Podcast (also available through iTunes).

Visit the Dungeon’s Master D&D Encounters Archive for all of our ongoing weekly coverage as well as actual play podcasts and pre-generated characters.

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

Sign In to post comments