YMTC Idol 11: Round 1

242 posts / 0 new
Last post

Welcome to the first of ten rounds in YMTC Idol 11! As always, kudos to SimonGlume for the brilliant new banner image.

During the audition process, a whopping fifty competitors rushed the concert hall, but only 31 were able to claw and gnaw their way in before the doors slammed shut. 

Contestants

13th_Horseman
Arazlam
ChaosLight
Dr_Demento
Echo_Robin
Elzaban_the_Ethereal
FrankyFourFingers
Glasir
Fenix
Franken_Stein
Imidazoline
Issilith
Libe
magicpablo666
Mono789
Morgothra
od256
Paradoxymoron
POSValkir1
Purple_Shrimp
razorborne
Riorvard
Rush_Clasic
Shazzeh
silasw
Silly_Dragons
SimonGlume
Steinhauser
theatog
tyranno6
ulyth

In Round 1, five more will be culled from the ranks of the (temporarily) successful contestants. Who will displease our resident rock gods, Kavu_OverlordRumor, and Ephemeron?

Round 1 Criteria:

One card-making tool which Wizards used more often in the past is the use of real-world flavour text, most commonly in the form of a verse quotation from a well-known author. The five most frequently-quoted sources are the King James Bible, the works of Edgar Allan Poe, the poems of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, the plays of William Shakespeare and Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong. This type of flavour text appeared much more often in the early days of Magic, but is now seen only infrequently in Core Sets and other products that do not take place in a defined setting. Although this restriction to in-universe sources contributes to the suspension of disbelief and provides more room to use flavour text for worldbuilding, it also prevents Wizards from making use of the vivid and evocative language of real authors. What interesting cards might we have seen if Magic quoted in this way more often?

Assignment:
Create a top-down card whose flavour text is a quote from a real work of fiction.

You have approximately five days (until 11:59 PM on Sunday, May 12) to submit an audition card. Anyone who will not have access to a computer over that time may contact me to arrange an extension.

The judges will rank only their five least favourite submissions, and eliminations will be calculated based on the results (a fifth-worst spot being worth 1 point towards elimination, a fourth-worst being worth 2 and so on). Good luck to all!
Oh hell yes.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

We don't see white's evil/xenophobic side quite often enough.

Almas, High Exorcist
Legendary Creature -- Human Cleric

Non-Human creatures are Demons.
, : Exile target Demon.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." -- The Doctor

2/3

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

This will be very difficult as I am not the most well read person, and what I do read is non fiction (and manga). But at least I have friends.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Definitely not going to use this, but oh god this criteria is so good.

THERE ARE SO MANY POSSIBILITIES.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
Both poetry and prose are okay? Or just prose fiction?
This is a doozy.  Letting us know that you're not messing around straight off?
¡Glasir!

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Not current
Bitter Harvest
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent draws a card then loses two life for each card in their hand.
"Yet what I sowed and what the orchard yields/my brother's sons are gathering stalk and root;/small wonder then my children glean in fields/they have not sown, and feed on bitter fruit." - Ana Bontemps

Volunteer Army
Creature - Human Soldier
Volunteer Army attacks each turn if able.
Whenever Volunteer Army dies, if it is the combat step, return Volunteer Army to the battlefield and transform it.
4/4
"Theirs not to make reply/Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die" - The Charge of the Light Brigade, Alfred Lord Tennyson

--------------------------
--------------------------

Mangled Corpses
Enchantment {}
Creatures you control get -1/-1.
"If any question why we died/Tell them, because our fathers lied." - Epitaths of Warm Rudyard Kipling

"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Transmute
Sorcery
You may discard a card, sacrifice a creature, or pay 3 life rather than pay Transmute's mana cost.
Choose one - Add to your mana pool; or draw a card; or put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield; or gain 3 life.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth." - Alphonse Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

Yes, a few of these modes are terrible, but most of them are bad but playable. Combined though, I think you get enough options for this to still be a viable card. It's like how both halves of Fire//Ice would suck on their own, but when you have the option of casting one or the other, suddenly it's a good card. And I guess at the very worst this card is like a Street Wraith that costs one more life or like a 2/2 dude for two mana/three life, which is not bad.
I don't know why, but for some reason I really want to use a quote from a Dr. Suess book.  Will have to come up with an idea later, but it seems fun.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
I don't know why, but for some reason I really want to use a quote from a Dr. Suess book.  Will have to come up with an idea later, but it seems fun.

just make up a series of words and claim they're by him. no one will know.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

Once there was a cat named Fred
He was hairy and needed to shed
He slept and he licked
He's dead; no, you've been tricked
Giraffepotamus okapisaurus.
Cheeseburgers. 
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing

He slept and he licked
Cheeseburgers. 

not iambic enough

He slept and he licked
Cheeseburgers. 

www.explosm.net/comics/2371/

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Mono: I believe you need to name your card Giraffepotamus now.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
not iambic enough

Meh, I prefer the AABBQX rhyme scheme better.
You Make the Card
Mafia History
not iambic enough

Meh, I prefer the AABBQX rhyme scheme better.

iambism has nothing to do with rhyme scheme

Crown of Kings
Legendary Enchantment – Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3, has vigilance and hexproof, and is a Lord in addition to its other types.
All creatures other than enchanted creature have ": Fight enchanted creature. If this creature wins the fight, attach Crown of Kings to this creature."
"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."
–George R. R. Martin,
A Game of Thrones

Old submission
Marauders of Time
Creature – Spirit Pirate (R)
Flying, haste
At end of turn, but Marauders of Time on top of its owner's library. 
"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
–F. Scott Fitzgerald,
The Great Gatsby
4/4

Marauders of Time
Creature – Spirit Pirate (R)
Flying, haste
At end of turn, but Marauders of Time on top of its owner's library. 
"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
–F. Scott Fitzgerald,
The Great Gatsby

P/T?
P/T?

Thanks.

I, for one, consider either to be perfectly okay.
From nothing came teeth.
¡Glasir!

I don't plan on actually using it (Idol should be for new cards, no?) but it just seemed such a perfect fit for the criterion I had to throw it up there.

Incidentally, this is pretty much my favorite criterion ever. I've spent the last several few hours skimming through likely-looking books on my shelves for quotes that inspire Magic-y thoughts, and haven't had this much fun thinking about card design in ages.  

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Pretty sure I'm using this one:

"The sun shonehaving no alternative, on the nothing new" 
- Samuel Beckett

God I need to read that. 

139359831 wrote:
Death Seeker |
Creature - Human Shaman
When ~ dies, draw cards equal to its power, then you gain life equal to its toughness.
"I shall ascend my funeral pile triumphantly, and exult in the agony of the torturing flames."
-Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
1/1

Don't worry, I'm a doctor.

First (most likely temporary) idea:

Animal Days
Enchantment
Whenever a human creature enters the battlefield, each other non-human creature fights it.
"War is war. The only good human being is a dead one." George Orwell

FINAL SUBMISSION:

Comfortably Numb
Enchantment
Whenever you would be dealt damage, put that many delay counters on ~ instead.
At the beginning of the end step, remove all delay counters from ~ and lose that much life.
Discard two cards: remove all delay counters from ~
Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt. - Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I'm probably gonna do something from Lovecraft...but just to clarify:  Do all real works of fiction (movies, tv, magazines...) count as works of fiction or are you just looking for poems and books?
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1

Real-world flavour texts are unusual, and strike me as something best suited to a card where the mechanic doesn't take up a lot of the card.  I needed to make a card with short, snappy rules text, and ideally a name to match, so the flavour text had front-and-centre attention.  

The other thing I think this criteria mandated is a clear core set flavour.  Real-world quotes aren't something you want to see on complicated, expert-set level mechanics: to tie those those together you will need pretty tight flavour.  So, in my opinion, the flavour of the card in a mechanical sense needs to stand alone from the flavour text a bit more than it would if it were a straightforward expert-level card.

I experimented with a lot of different quotes and snappy text, but this one seemed to line up the best with the flavour text, be original, but also have that classical fantasy flavour that core sets love so much.  "Deliquesce" is one of my favourite words (I actually have a list on my phone), and, while it sort of means the same thing as "liquify" (that is, essentially, "turn into liquid"), "deliquesce" has such a lovely sense of melting, and goes so well with the Joyce flavour text, that I couldn't pass it up.

Mechanically, the ability is certainly a bleed for blue, but one that I think is in flavour.  I could see WotC printing it at rare or mythic level.  The bleed isn't that outrageous, either, considering cards like Pongify, Rapid Hybridization and Polymorph (and  the acceleration is harder for blue to deal with than a 3/3 creature token.).

Deliquesce

Sorcery 
Target creature becomes an island.
“She was gone. And into the river that had been a stream… there fell a tear, a singult tear, the loveliest of all tears… for it was a leaptear. But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping as though her heart was brook.”
—James Joyce, Finnegans Wake  

Okay, much better idea. I'm always surprised that Alice's Adventures in Wonderland isn't quoted on more flavour text.

Ace Executioner
Creature - Human Assassin R
All damage dealt to other creatures is dealt as though its source had deathtouch. (Any amount of damage dealt to a creature by a source with deathtouch is enough to destroy it.)
“They’re dreadfully fond of beheading people here; the great wonder is, that there’s any one left alive!”
—Lewis Carroll,

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
1/3

Previous (ie worse) attempt
I'll probably end up going with something else, since calling Policeman's Beard fiction is a bit dubious.

Galvanic Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem U
Whenever a red spell deals damage, put that many +1/+1 counters on Galvanic Golem.
Whenever Galvanic Golem attacks or blocks, remove all counters from it at end of combat.
"More than iron, more than lead, more than gold I need electricity. I need it for my dreams."
-Racter,
The Policeman's Beard Is Half Constructed
Submission:
Original:
Show
Miasma of Ignorance        
Enchantment
All non-land permanents without morph gain morph.  Their morph cost is their converted mana cost.
All non-land permanents not on the battlefield have morph.
Non-land permanents may only be cast using their morph ability.
"Our means of receiving impressions are absurdly few, and our notions of surrounding objects infinitely narrow. We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature." - From Beyond, H.P. Lovecraft

Still working on it...I'd like to get the cost down, but the third ability essentially reads "All creature, artifact, enchantment, and planeswalker spells cost more to cast."...I'll probably end up limiting it to creatures and I might have to sacrifice some flavor and some of the cooler interactions by leaving the morph part optional.

The Great Synthesis        
Enchantment
All creatures without morph gain morph.  Their morph cost is their converted mana cost.
Each creature card in each player's hand has morph .  Where  is that card's converted mana cost.
Creature spells may only be cast using their morph ability.
"Our means of receiving impressions are absurdly few, and our notions of surrounding objects infinitely narrow. We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature." - From Beyond, H.P. Lovecraft

Design Process:  
Show
It's probably evident from the above information, but since this is a top-down criteria I feel I should explain the evolution of the design.  First, given the criteria, I read quotes until one stood out as something that was missing flavorfully from the mtg world.  I found the quote I used and immediately thought "Hmmm, a design based around the 5 senses would be really fun."  My first idea, a totally new sense, I thought to ambitious for an early round.  My second idea, smell, was equally ludicrous.  Finally, I thought "We rely on our sight so much, what if we didn't know what the enemy had?"

This made me want to design a spell that masked the battlefield, a la Battleship.  The first challenge was implementing the card in a non-Un way (ie. Put a divider in between players.)  After a little thought I remembered that morph was a thing.

My initial thought was to morph all permanents, but checking in the rules I found that would be really unfun, as it would cost to play a land.  So I went with non-land permanents.  This too proved to be an unfun (complicated) concept, and needlessly raised the cost of the card.

So I arrived at masking exactly what creatures the opponent has.  I think it does a really solid job of hitting the flavor.  While I may know what creatures I have, I have no idea how effective they'll actually be since I don't know what my opponent has.  It has the added bonus of being a little mysterious itself, sine you can still PUT a creature onto the field face up a la Elvish Piper type cards.

Finally, in trying to work the mana cost, an idea hit me.  This card is far more effective the earlier it comes out, but there should be a cost to get it out early.  Phyrexian mana occured to me.  With a little research I found that "The Great Synthesis" fit the bill perfectly.  The perfect form of all creatures...vanilla 2/2's.  It fit perfectly with the flavor.  Jin-Gitaxias is even able to "blue print" creatures...why wouldn't a planeswalker be able to do the same!  Thus, it came together flavorfully.

Design thoughts: 
Show
Checked the rules, and I believe this works just fine with layers.  In addition, I think rule 707.2 can be interpreted in such a way as to not break the functionality of the design when the creature changes zones.  The card has to be a little expensive since it hoses Evolve and ETB effects once it hits the board.  Since that's not the intent, I costed it above the most prevalent ETB effects.  I think the Feroz's Ban-like ability is leveraged a bit by providing a significant amount of counterspell protection and offering mana-fixing in the form of all colorless casting costs.  I debated on the final abilities wording, since the rules use both "cast with their morph ability" and "cast face down", but I think the morph ability wording would cause less confusion.

This card has a pretty huge effect in a lot of situations.  The sheer number of Keywords it eliminated is staggering.  Still, at the end of the day it's hate functionality is minor.  You still get the creature, and the card doesn't affect Unburial Rites type decks at all.
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Immortal Madman 
Creature - Human
Sacrifice Immortal Madman: Return Immortal Madman from your graveyard to the battlefield at the beginning of your next upkeep.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it, because the only people who really know where it is are the ones  who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson
1/1

other stuff

Indecent Proposal 
Instant
Destroy target permanent. That permanent's controller may choose to copy the next instant or sorcery spell that is cast and may choose new targets for the copy.
"All universal moral principles are idle fancies." - Marquis de Sade

Confidence Trickster
Creature - Human Rogue
When ~ enters the battlefield, gain control of target artifact and all other artifacts with the same name as that artifact as long as you control ~.
"I rob banks for a living. What do you do?" - John Dillinger.
2/2 

Poetry often draws from real experiences, but it doesn't claim to be a factual account any more than a landscape painting does. Any type of poem is okay for the purpose of this contest.
Accursed Destiny

Enchantment - (R)
Whenever a creature you control dies, you may search your library for a card with the same name, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came."
— Arazlam J. Durai

It appears on the opening of Vagrant Story. It's a phrase by Arazlam J. Durai. Totally a coincidence.

I hope it's not a problem if it comes from a book inside a video game rather than from a real book.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

Lets hope someone can give me a good quote, otherwise I'm screwed, you guys are too good.
Would I be allowed to quote a song? Since its kinda sorta maybe like poetry? 

What you gon' do with all that junk?
All that junk inside your trunk?
I'ma get, get, get, get, you drunk,
Get you love drunk off my hump.
My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump,
My hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely little lumps

What you gon' do with all that junk?
All that junk inside your trunk?
I'ma get, get, get, get, you drunk,
Get you love drunk off my hump.
My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump,
My hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely little lumps

Hey! That's my song, you stole my song!
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Hey! That's my song, you stole my song!

Oksy last one, and I'll stop spamming your thread mr judges.

Oksy last one, and I'll stop spamming your thread mr judges.

Yes please.  ;P