If you continue putting 5e material in the magazines...

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
I will cancel my subscription. Just a heads up. I am paying for 4e material, not conversion notes for 5e adventures. If you are going to switch to 5e, make it a clean switch. If the mags start to become a "mix", I will cancel.
Actually I just went ahead and cancelled (will end this month). I will resub for a single month maybe down the line sometime to grab whatever is left of the 4e support all at once.
What D&D Next materials did they published ?

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

What D&D Next materials did they published ?

Welcome to the dungeon that has killed more adventurers than all other dungeons combined. Let’s see if your D&D Next characters fare any better! This adventure is designed for D&D Next characters of levels 10–14 and includes 4th Edition conversion guidelines for characters of levels 14–16.

I get the feeling they are going to start doing a 5e article a month, followed by more and more previews, with less and less 4e.
To tell the truth, this was forthcoming. At the end of the 3E run, 4E material started to be previewed in the magazines as well. I guess its a way for them to advertise the next edition.

But i find cool that they reprint Tomb of Horrors in Dungeon magazines with stats for 4E and D&D Next!

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Right, well they have lost me as a paying customer.
i will stay stay sub long as the 4e character builder stays up tbh.

Which is exactly the reason I never subscribed to it.

My D&D 3.5 character builder is still functioning fine. I had to pay nearly $300 to get the datasets for the books but it doesn't need a subscription. Neither do the books and magazines on my bookshelves. WotC could disappear (I don't hope so) and I could still use what I've paid for for years to come.

I've gotten burned in the past on subscription based things. It means I avoid it as much as possible. The DDI crowd will soon learn this the hard way.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

I once asked the question (in D&D 3.5) "Does a Druid4/Wizard3/ArcaneHierophant1 have Wildshape?". Jesse Decker and Andy Collins: Yes and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Rich Redman and Ed Stark: No and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Skip Williams: Lol, it's worded ambiguously and entirely not how I intended it. (Cust. Serv. Reference# 050815-000323)

I've gotten burned in the past on subscription based things. It means I avoid it as much as possible. The DDI crowd will soon learn this the hard way.

Meh, if the CB does disappear overnight, people will cry foul for a while. Then a third party will develop an application that can read out the character builder files and translate them into character sheets (maybe it already exists, I dunno), so people who exported their character at one point can still recover the latest version. 

Which is not a good thing, mind you, but it's something you should see coming if you have any idea whatsoever of what's going on with D&D nowadays.  

Meh, if the CB does disappear overnight, people will cry foul for a while. Then a third party will develop an application that can read out the character builder files and translate them into character sheets (maybe it already exists, I dunno), so people who exported their character at one point can still recover the latest version. 

Which is not a good thing, mind you, but it's something you should see coming if you have any idea whatsoever of what's going on with D&D nowadays.  

I think WotC would probably put the smackdown on such a project for copyright reasons. Unlike 3E with the OGL, the GSL explicitly forbids making character builders. When they started 4E they were very clear with the legalese that they didn't want to allow anyone else to build a character builder.

See section 5.5a and 5.5b of the GSL.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

I once asked the question (in D&D 3.5) "Does a Druid4/Wizard3/ArcaneHierophant1 have Wildshape?". Jesse Decker and Andy Collins: Yes and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Rich Redman and Ed Stark: No and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Skip Williams: Lol, it's worded ambiguously and entirely not how I intended it. (Cust. Serv. Reference# 050815-000323)

Which is exactly the reason I never subscribed to it.

My D&D 3.5 character builder is still functioning fine. I had to pay nearly $300 to get the datasets for the books but it doesn't need a subscription. Neither do the books and magazines on my bookshelves. WotC could disappear (I don't hope so) and I could still use what I've paid for for years to come.

The information is permenently and irrevocably on the internet. The 4e DDI crowd won't have to "learn" any such thing. Someone will fully patch a third party 4e builder toolset, even if it isn't as good as the one we have now, and we'll all have lost nothing.
On the other hand, Dragon is ALL 4e content, and is ROCKING it lately.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Truth. I've been thinking about subscribing again, for these new articles.
Hum, that's a bit more positive than I would've put it. 16 pages of random tables for backgrounds isn't what I'm looking for, but to each his own.

And if anyone thinks 3rd parties are going to let WotC stop them from making another CB, you haven't spent enough time on the internet.
if the random tables are anything like what they gave us in heroes of the feywild, then it's a good thing.
They're BETTER than the ones in Heroes of the Feywild.  I didn't think they could make them better, but they did.  The coolest thing about these is that each journey through them feels unique and could have a story dedicated to itself (I could imagine bringing them in in flashback scene moments, since they aren't incredibly detailed, but are detailed enough to hit the broad strokes).

I shot 8 hours last night just rolling up character backgrounds and don't regret a moment of it. 

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

They're BETTER than the ones in Heroes of the Feywild.  I didn't think they could make them better, but they did.  The coolest thing about these is that each journey through them feels unique and could have a story dedicated to itself (I could imagine bringing them in in flashback scene moments, since they aren't incredibly detailed, but are detailed enough to hit the broad strokes).

I shot 8 hours last night just rolling up character backgrounds and don't regret a moment of it. 

Totally worth the page space, then. Awesome. This may tip me over the edge into paying for DDI again.
The information is permenently and irrevocably on the internet. The 4e DDI crowd won't have to "learn" any such thing. Someone will fully patch a third party 4e builder toolset, even if it isn't as good as the one we have now, and we'll all have lost nothing.

Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see. As I said, I've never been a DDI subscriber so it's quite possible I'm wrong.

And if anyone thinks 3rd parties are going to let WotC stop them from making another CB, you haven't spent enough time on the internet.

I have spent enough time on the internet to know that all parties that I know of that made CBs for 3E have been actively discouraged by WotC from making one for 4E.

Someone else might pick up the glove and try, but I don't know if they will fare any differently.

Summary of Fourm so far: QQ

Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see. As I said, I've never been a DDI subscriber so it's quite possible I'm wrong.

I have spent enough time on the internet to know that all parties that I know of that made CBs for 3E have been actively discouraged by WotC from making one for 4E.

Someone else might pick up the glove and try, but I don't know if they will fare any differently.

discouragement won't stop it from happening. it just won't be an official product made by anyone "reputable".
Nice rant. Got anything useful, or relevant to the century in which you live, to say?

also, pro tip: DDI isn't required to play 4e, and 4e isn't a videogame.

Strange. Maybe I am getting a different magazine, but Dragon to me is short and in serious lack of rule items

FYI, WotC has just announced that they have stopped monthly updates to the 4e tools. No word on when any future updates will occur (if ever). There is still some great 4e stuff coming out in the magazines, but if you depend on the digital tools to get it into your game, you might never be able to use it.
Or you might have to use different digital tools.  And learn to write XML.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

FYI, WotC has just announced that they have stopped monthly updates to the 4e tools. No word on when any future updates will occur (if ever). There is still some great 4e stuff coming out in the magazines, but if you depend on the digital tools to get it into your game, you might never be able to use it.

Source?

Source?

Check out the thread "March Updates" in the D&D Insider subforum.
FYI, WotC has just announced that they have stopped monthly updates to the 4e tools.

By "announce" you mean the one employee who ever posts to the forums grudgingly admitting it (over twitter) after severe prodding.
Or you might have to use different digital tools.  And learn to write XML.

son of a dammit.

So much for my decision to subscribe soon.
I get the feeling they are going to start doing a 5e article a month, followed by more and more previews, with less and less 4e.

The D&D Next stats in Tomb of Horrors are not a harbinger of Dragon and Dungeon swinging into 5E mode. The amount of DDN material planned for the magazines through the end of this year is only a blip above zero. The focus through 2013 is solidly on 4E. 

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

The D&D Next stats in Tomb of Horrors are not a harbinger of Dragon and Dungeon swinging into 5E mode. The amount of DDN material planned for the magazines through the end of this year is only a blip above zero. The focus through 2013 is solidly on 4E. 

Steve

This is good news but the news about no future DDI updates is very disappointing particularly if it was "announced" via Twitter. Are there plans for an official announcement as assuming this is correct, I will need to reconsider my subscription?

Trevor's original statements regarding updates are here and here. I strongly recommend reading what he actually wrote and not relying on other people's re-interpretations and paraphrasings, which tend to be wrong more than they're right.

Trevor's statements confirm what I've been told; there will be updates, but they won't happen every month. I don't know what the schedule will be, as I'm not involved in that part of the process. I do know that everything going into the magazines is still reviewed and cleared by someone from the online tools end of the business, and if they had no intention of ever again updating the tools, they probably wouldn't waste their time on compatibility reviews. 

Steve 

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

The objection is not just that we have no updates, it is rather that nobody at WotC appears to know when, or if, the next update will happen.

It was two months since Trevor said he'd ask.  He still has the same non-answer.

That's not acceptable.  I don't blame Trevor, I blame whoever it is whose job it is to make these decisions.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
To tell the truth, this was forthcoming. At the end of the 3E run, 4E material started to be previewed in the magazines as well. I guess its a way for them to advertise the next edition.

But i find cool that they reprint Tomb of Horrors in Dungeon magazines with stats for 4E and D&D Next!

I agree. Why would Next material not appear in their magazines? Not that it should crowd out 4e, but the mags provide a place for devs to give playtesters material outside of the packets.

Steve

Thanks Steve! Both for the reply, and for giving us some more 4e stuff before "the big switch"
Trevor's original statements regarding updates are here and here. I strongly recommend reading what he actually wrote and not relying on other people's re-interpretations and paraphrasings, which tend to be wrong more than they're right.

Trevor's statements confirm what I've been told; there will be updates, but they won't happen every month. I don't know what the schedule will be, as I'm not involved in that part of the process. I do know that everything going into the magazines is still reviewed and cleared by someone from the online tools end of the business, and if they had no intention of ever again updating the tools, they probably wouldn't waste their time on compatibility reviews. 

Steve 

Thanks Steve. As I've posted elsewhere, it's not just the change to the service that I pay for that I object to, it's that it was "announced" in a Twitter exchange. That is not what I expect as a loyal paying customer. An e-mail notification would have been nice but at the very least there should have been an official forum announcement. Sadly, this has been the story of the DDI electronic tools from the beginning of 4E and it does not fill me with confidence for the future. It seems unlikely I will remain a DDI subscriber for too much longer if this is the way things are going to be "managed".
Sign In to post comments