Thread deleted, make sure you check this out.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you are a fan of 4e, make sure you head over to the D&D Insider forum and check out the "March update" thread. They've made some changes to DDI that I think paying customers should be aware of.

There was a thread in 4e General on this topic but it was deleted. Let's see what happens to this one. 
the thread and posts where the changes are posted isn't deleted,  mostly just the worst of all the resulting complaints and duplicate threads

a long thread of whining does make it hard to direct people there to get the actual useful info in the very beginning, so it isn't like anything gone will be missed 

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

the thread and posts where the changes are posted isn't deleted,  mostly just the worst of all the resulting complaints and duplicate threads

a long thread of whining does make it hard to direct people there to get the actual useful info in the very beginning, so it isn't like anything gone will be missed 

What are you talking about? There was a thread on this forum that was deleted. It's gone.
Yes, it has been deleted.
Then again, some posters in that thread were asking to receive information on an updated version of the old offline CB with access to (probably illegal) new data from the latest magazines and books. I still have the old offline CB (never uninstalled it), but I do not have new data on it. It still is the old version from before the online CB with outdated information.

So, please, do not ask for any illegal downloads or data in THIS thread as it will get deleted, too. Just because any 4E software will not be updated on a regular basis - maybe even cancelled - does not mean you have to do illegal stuff.

Rather answer me this: is there a legal alternative to the CB or the Monster Builder? Maybe including a VTT? I am willing to pay my legal money for this and do not need any new data updates. The data available at the time of this post is sufficient for me.

I know of HeroLab and Masterplan. In HeroLab, you get the full CB infos with a DDI subscription. Do you get the Monster Builder infos as well? With Masterplan, you have to type in all the information yourself. I do not have the time to do that. Masterplan is free, though, HeroLab costs money.
Any other legal ideas?
Yes, it has been deleted.
Then again, some posters in that thread were asking to receive information on an updated version of the old offline CB with access to (probably illegal) new data from the latest magazines and books. I still have the old offline CB (never uninstalled it), but I do not have new data on it. It still is the old version from before the online CB with outdated information.

So, please, do not ask for any illegal downloads or data in THIS thread as it will get deleted, too. Just because any 4E software will not be updated on a regular basis - maybe even cancelled - does not mean you have to do illegal stuff.

Rather answer me this: is there a legal alternative to the CB or the Monster Builder? Maybe including a VTT? I am willing to pay my legal money for this and do not need any new data updates. The data available at the time of this post is sufficient for me.

I know of HeroLab and Masterplan. In HeroLab, you get the full CB infos with a DDI subscription. Do you get the Monster Builder infos as well? With Masterplan, you have to type in all the information yourself. I do not have the time to do that. Masterplan is free, though, HeroLab costs money.
Any other legal ideas?

You don't get the monster builder info with Hero Lab, just the player content.  Last I checked, Hero Lab didn't have the essentials stuff or the themes but it's still an excellent program.  I bought a license for 4E in Hero Lab and was pretty happy with it.  It even has an in-game tab that lets you track damage or conditions, in-play, if you use your laptop at the table instead of pen and paper sheets.  No monster info though.  Hero Lab is geared towards the players and not the DM.