Playtesting in Eberron? Deities of the playtest and the Silver Flame?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone,
Being a fan of Eberron (the best campaign setting ever, in my humble opinion), I want it to be supported in dndnext, and after asking got an answer from Mike Mearls himself saying that at least they will convert the races. Hopefully it will be fully supported, and so I wanted to ask if any of you has been playtesting in Eberron? So far, with the classes we have so far, my biggest doubt is about the deities and the iconic deities from the cleric class as described in the playtest, especially since it has an impact on game rules and class powers. For instance, which iconic labels from the test would you give the Silver Flame? So far, I think that the Lifegiver, the Lightbringer, the Protector and the Warbringer would fit the Silver Flame. What do you think? Unfortunately, the playtest only mentions the forgotten realms, greyhawk and dragonlance as examples in the deities section, so I am interested in your thoughts (and hopefully Keith will participate as well!)
I'd most likely give the following Religions the corresponding Eberron Deity;

The Arcanist: Aureon, Onatar, The Traveler
The Lifegiver: Boldrei, Olladra
The Lightbringer: The Silver Flame, Dol Arrah, The Path of Light
The Protector: The Keepers of the Past, The Silver Flame, Brodrei
The Reaper: The Blood of Vol, The Keeper
The Stormcaller: Dol Dorn, Dol Arrah, Balinor, The Fury, The Devourer
The Trickster: Olladra, The Shadow, The Mockery, The Traveler
The Warbringer: Dol Dorn, Dol Arrah, The Fury
I haven't had an opportunity to review the playtest material recently and don't have time to do so now, but based purely on the names, my inclination would be to assign the Silver Flame as The Protector and The Lightbringer, as Plaguescarred suggests.

Note that we didn't assign the Healing or War domains to the Silver Flame in 3.5. It is a militant faith, but it fights only to defend the innocent from danger or to defeat the forces of darkness; at its core, it doesn't celebrate war. Likewise, while the church seeks to aid those in need and often does so by sharing the benefits of curative magic, that is secondary to its role as defender against darkness.

By contrast, I can see Dol Arrah as Warbringer and Lightbringer. Like the Silver Flame, Dol Arrah supports the destruction of supernatural evil; but when you set that aspect aside, she is unquestionably a goddess of WAR, not of defense.

I'm not sure why you've given the Dols the Stormcaller domain, Plaguescarred... is it somehow defined as a war domain?
From what I understand of a brief browsing of the 5e Deities:

The Arcanist: Aureon, Onatar, The Traveler

The Shadow. He is the God of magic used for evil, or at least, to fulfill ambition, and the actual dark shadow of Aureon.

I'd add, very tentatively, the Blood of Vol, considering they get the Necromancer domain in 3.5, though their connection to magic itself is limited to that school. 

The Lifegiver: Boldrei, Olladra

Arawai. She is the goddess of growth and nature (tamed by mortals).

The Reaper: The Blood of Vol, The Keeper

The Undying Court: "in some pantheons the Reaper merely represents the natural end of life and is an enemy of the undead." Although the Undying Court seeks to extend life beyond death, its connections to death/undeath/undying-ness could fit. Channeling negative energy does not, however.

The Warbringer: Dol Dorn, Dol Arrah, The Fury

The Mockery/Dol Azur, the third of the Three Faces of War.

Possibly some of the warforged faiths, although several of them are more concerned with finding a place in the world than waging war. It might fit the Lord of Blades, however.

I'm not sure where to place the Seren Dragon Cults, the Dragon Below, the Path of Inspiration, and the Becoming God.

Note that we didn't assign the Healing or War domains to the Silver Flame in 3.5. It is a militant faith, but it fights only to defend the innocent from danger or to defeat the forces of darkness; at its core, it doesn't celebrate war. Likewise, while the church seeks to aid those in need and often does so by sharing the benefits of curative magic, that is secondary to its role as defender against darkness.

Regarding the War domain: While the Silver Flame does not have it, the Binding Flame gets access to this, but loses access to Law IIRC. So, by analogy, the Ghaash'kala should perhaps have access to the Warbringer, but the Thranish Silver Flame would not; the former have a culture dedicated entirely to combatting the evil in the Demon Wastes, while the latter is content if most of its followers simply contain the evil within themselves, if I understand correctly.   

I'm not sure why you've given the Dols the Stormcaller domain, Plaguescarred... is it somehow defined as a war domain?

The site I found describes the Stormcaller in these terms: "The ferocious Stormcaller is a deity of thunder, lightning, and storms, and often also of war, physical might, and courage. Most often, the Stormcaller is a barbaric deity, commonly male, with a fury and physical prowess to match the raw power of the storm." It cites Zeus and Thor as real-world examples; Athena and Ares for the Warbringer (and none for the Norse pantheon). The war aspect seems to be secondary, and somewhat redundant considering the existence of the Warbringer, though.

My Eberron Characters. Commissions by various artists on Deviant Art.

The Mockery/Dol Azur, the third of the Three Faces of War.

Absolutely! I wasn't paying attention when I skimmed the list or I would have mentioned him.

The site I found describes the Stormcaller in these terms: "The ferocious Stormcaller is a deity of thunder, lightning, and storms, and often also of war, physical might, and courage. Most often, the Stormcaller is a barbaric deity, commonly male, with a fury and physical prowess to match the raw power of the storm."

With that in mind, if you HAVE to give deities two domains, I could see making Dol Dorn Warbringer and Stormcaller, though "storms" really have nothing to do with his traditional aspect; I'd certainly hold Dol Arrah as Warbringer and Lightbringer (again, assuming two domains).

I put the Dols down because they're associated with the war domain  and The Stormcaller is a deity of thunder, lightning, and storms, and often also of war, physical might, and courage.
I put the Dols down because they're associated with the war domain  and The Stormcaller is a deity of thunder, lightning, and storms, and often also of war, physical might, and courage.

And Dol Dorn is essentially a god of war, physical might, and courage... but Dol Arrah is specifically a goddess of just war, and of strategy over force; Athena as opposed to Ares. As such, in spite of the fact that neither are traditionally associated with storms, I could see Dol Dorn getting the domain for those last three aspects you mention... but I'd see Lightbringer is a more logical domain for Dol Arrah.

I haven't had an opportunity to review the playtest material recently and don't have time to do so now, but based purely on the names, my inclination would be to assign the Silver Flame as The Protector and The Lightbringer, as Plaguescarred suggests.

By contrast, I can see Dol Arrah as Warbringer and Lightbringer. Like the Silver Flame, Dol Arrah supports the destruction of supernatural evil; but when you set that aspect aside, she is unquestionably a goddess of WAR, not of defense.

Precisely the militant character of the CotSF against supernatural evil and the fact that the faithful are encouraged to aid and heal those in need made me think that the SF could have the warbringer and lifegiver epitets, but certainly they are not the central aspects, better conveyed by the lightbringer and protector ones. Thanks to everyone for sharing your ideas! By the way, Mike Mearls has said in two different tweets that they will convert Eberron races to dndnext and that there will be artificers in next as well, which are good news!
Sign In to post comments