Spoiler: Show does wizard finally admit blue's pie is too big? lol

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm a guy all for symmetry and stuff. So something bugs me.

In Dragon maze:

Mono gets extort and unleash
Mono gets bloodrush and overload
Mono gets scavenge and evolve
Mono gets Populate, detain AND battalion!?
Mono gets cipher only.... hm... XD

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I also noticed how absolutely pathetic the "Blue" section of the DGM spoilers looks.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I guess the ideas the designers have and the needs of the set can come before symmetry - especially if it's not an obvious break, like someone has to look at the whole set to see it.

Detain is more white than blue, evolve is more green than blue, and overload is more red than blue anyway so it's not surprising that they chose not to put them in mono blue when they didn't have to. 
So in a way it's error in keyword design. They should've made detain more blue than white. (detain was kinda dry and counter-interactive anyway) It's really just there by flavor.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I don't share this view. Detain is a White mechanic to the core, moreso than it will ever be Blue. That aside, I think that if a keyword suffers for the sake of A. color balance in competitive play, and B. an overall better set, why force it onto cards just to be symmetrical? That only causes asymmetry elsewhere, whether in the set or in the competitive color spread.

EDIT: Misread on my part about the color alignment of Detain. Thought you said it was more Blue, haha. 
I thought detain should have been "Tap target. It doesn't untap during its controllers next untap step. Until your next turn its activated abilities can't be activated." Is more blue and white.
Obviously there is a secret unrevealed blue mechanic to come. There's actually a dozen unspoiled blue cards which are all Slivers.
In Ravnica, it's more about balancing the guilds than balancing the colors. Each guild gets their ability exactly twice.
This thread reminds me just how much I don't like Dragon's Maze. Here's hoping it grows on me.
This thread reminds me just how much I don't like Dragon's Maze. Here's hoping it grows on me.

Yeah, like scar fungus on Varolz

Care to expand on it?

Is it really just the assymetry? (look at those split cards XD)

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
It's worth noting the following:

• Blue doesn't destroy anything

• Blue doesn't have life gain, life loss or direct damage

• Blue is the worst color for token generation

• Blue's evergreen mechanics are few and shared with other colors  

Really.

Never in a million years I'd thought i would see people defending blue lol

• Pongify or the new frog mutant card. On the opposite, little other colors Bounces stuff. (white bounces self as rescue, red gets it in Planar chaos). I know this is like borderline exception, but see the quantity-vs-quality argument below.

• Neither does a lot of other colors.

• I don't think that's true. Depending on how you define "worst" for "generation". The few and far between token generations are some of the best. When it comes to magic, where only a selected few cards are "playable", i believe quality trumps quantity.

• What mechanics are not like that lol. mooooo..........

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
It's kinda fun seeing blue get hate for having too much of the pie now. It's usually green or white getting that lately. It's almost nostalgic.

Really.

Never in a million years I'd thought i would see people defending blue lol

• Pongify or the new frog mutant card. On the opposite, little other colors Bounces stuff. (white bounces self as rescue, red gets it in Planar chaos). I know this is like borderline exception, but see the quantity-vs-quality argument below.

• Neither does a lot of other colors.

• I don't think that's true. Depending on how you define "worst" for "generation". The few and far between token generations are some of the best. When it comes to magic, where only a selected few cards are "playable", i believe quality trumps quantity.

• What mechanics are not like that lol. mooooo..........

• For every blue destroy spell, there are 10 black ones.  Furthermore, black has unconditional destruction, blue, eh, not so much

• White and green have life gain, red has direct damage, and black has direct life loss.  The only color with none of those three? Blue.

• When defining what WoftheC considers pie, quantity has to play at least a little role.  There as many mono-green token gens that give you Saprolings (i.e. not counting Beasts, Wolves, Elementals, etc) as there are mono-blue token gens PERIOD.  And I can give you several green, white or black token generators that are at least as good as Rite of Replication.

• Consider that white has vigilance and protection, most of lifelink, plus a decent dose of flying, and half of first strike and double strike.  Blue just has flying (shared with white extensively, and a great deal of red and black), and shroud, which is now hexproof and is shared with green   

Sorry, I can't buy the "quality trumps quantity" argument when you're defining pie.  Pie has to take everything into account, not just the really good cards
I think Blue's pie is just the most seperate from the other colors. It can't do a lot of things, as mentioned above. However, look at the things it does much better than every other color:

Library manipulation
Bouncing
Drawing (Black is sometimes close, but not often)
Countering
Milling
Cloning

So I think blue's color pie is no smaller than any other color's, it's just the most unique - sucks at the most stuff, dominates at the most stuff. Which is fine, I think.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Blue shouldn't get much if any destruction.

Blue gets life gain? F NO, thats white' and green. Black gets siphon effects (but more damage then life gain)

Blue token generation, they can get some costly flyers and evaders, but they shouldn't be too efficient.

What the hell is a evegreen mechanic? evolve maybe??

Can we please not homogenize the colors...

We can cross over with dual colored cards, like sphinxs revelation, blue gets life gain splashed with white and blue card draw for example.     

Followed Footsteps is arguably the best non-artifact token generator...
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Minervas, just so you know, evergreen mechanics are ones that show up on and off in every set, the way there's an indestructible creature in Dragon's Maze, even those indestructibility isn't a featured mechanic for that set.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
At present, the Evergreen mechanics are:

• Deathtouch (black-green)

• Defender (any color)

• Double strike (red-white)

• Equip (Equipment)

• Fight (red-green)

• First strike (red-white)

• Flash (blue-green)

• Flying (blue-white-black-red)

• Haste (red)

• Hexproof (green-blue)

• Intimidate (black)

• Landwalk (any color)

• Lifelink (white-black)

• Protection (white)

• Regeneration (black-green)

• Reach (green)

• Trample (green)

• Vigilance (white)

Fear (black) and shroud (blue-green) used to be evergreen, and aren't anymore (We have Intimidate and Hexproof now).

Evergreen mechanics can appear in any set, and they (along with the returning mechanic) are the only mechanics that can be used in Core Sets. 

I'm not overly enthused with Dragon's Maze.
Everything looks extremely combo happy.

Like RTR and GRC both had a fast aggressive line up, DGM does too, but with combos more than brute force.
Not that that's necessarily bad, just not my thing.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Sign In to post comments