Ideas for Ruric Thar, the Unbowed EDH

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have thoughts floating around in my head about making a 'soft-control' EDH deck using Ruric Thar, the Unbowed and filling the deck full of 'don't do this you will be punished' effects.

I see bloodrush and some of the werewolf cards as having synergy with Ruric but what other ideas have hidden synergy in this type of a deck?
I think kaervek the merciless is a much better choice for the "punisher" themed deck. Black has a lot of cards on that theme.
That said, do not be discouraged from trying a new deck idea.
I feel that basilisk collar  and heartwood storyteller would have a very key place in this deck.  and I have also been thinking about a deck for him since he got spoiled.
Good suggestions Ulka, especially the storyteller.

The following cards I think synergize well:
Forgotten Ancient
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Domri Rade
Rapacious One

Also I am curious over your opinion on the following since most of them are not creatures:
Invader Parasite
Manabarbs
Overabundance
Price of Glory
Spellshock
Tunnel Ignus
War's Toll
Manabarbs seems like it could be really sick as they are going to hrt no matter how the do stuff. if you do start playing off that I would recommend using the werewolf that has the similar ability (sorry i can't think of the name and am too lazy to look it up)  If you do try that strategy I would recommend Mana Dorks such birds of paradies and llanowar elves could help you avoid too much damage and they might fit well anyway here.  

I love Price of Glory. It is always an Auto Include for me so I'd add it.  

Spellshock is the theme of the deck so add it!

Tunnel Ignus seems like he could be really useful.  espically if you wanted to toss in rites of flourishing

The were wolf you are thinking of is actually Mondronen Shaman/Tovolar's Magehunter, she is a spellshocking werewolf. I had planned to have her in also.
yes!  here is my version of the deck so far: www.mtgvault.com/ulka1963/decks/ruric-pa...
yes!  here is my version of the deck so far: www.mtgvault.com/ulka1963/decks/ruric-pa...

That looks amazing. Mean, but amazing. Warstorm Surge fits as could Aether Flash, especially combined with Vigor. Also suggest Hellkite Tyrant so people can't get around your land effects by using artifacts. Genesis + Fauna Shaman/Survival of the Fittest is always nice, if pricey.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

Grafted Exoskeleton makes Thar's punishment even more severe.

Tectonic Instability, while technically not a punisher effect, is more or less on-theme. As is Defense Grid and Mana Web.

Vexing Shusher makes sure Thar resolves, and if you know you're opponents are in Blue, Red Elemental Blast, Pyroblast, and Burnout are hilarious (although iffy thanks to Thar's ability).

Love the deck idea!
I can only imagine how amazing it would be (and time consuming!) to sit down an EDH deck of each of the Maze Runners, at one table. (or equivalent, for the poor souls stuck with Emmara, new Teysa, and Mirko)

That said.... red/green that brings the pain...

<a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=197145" rel="nofollow">Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs</a>
<a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=107301" rel="nofollow">Stalking Vengeance</a>
<a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=198164" rel="nofollow">Lord of Shatterskull Pass</a> if you enjoy Level Up cards. Requires 12 mana for full effect, though. :/
mana-charged dragon could be neat, depending on your metagame.