Sorcerer-King Pact Templar/Praetor Legate- PEACH

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This build is designed to be a Striker-Leader.  It is currently heavy in Templar abilities.  Brannick is a Templar of Balic.  We will be starting at level 1 (I've fleshed out to 11 for planning purposes.) so advice as to not only which Feats to switch out but the order in which the feats should be taken is appreciated.  I've never played any arcane class much less a warlock. So this build may be really bad. 

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Brannick Bloodbrook, level 11
Human, Warlock, Praetor Legate
Eldritch Pact Option: Sorcerer-King Pact
Eldritch Blast Option: Eldritch Blast Charisma
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Dark Sun
Balic - Patrician (+2 to Streetwise)
Theme: Templar

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 12, DEX 14, INT 19, WIS 9, CHA 21

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 13, INT 16, WIS 8, CHA 16

AC: 21 Fort: 19 Ref: 23 Will: 25
HP: 74 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +14, Bluff +15, History +14, Intimidate +15, Streetwise +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Athletics +5, Diplomacy +12, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +6, Heal +4, Insight +4, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +9, Stealth +7, Thievery +7

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Templar Feature: Templar's Fist
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Warlock's Curse  Power: Warlock's Curse
Wild Talent Cantrip: Sensing Eye
: Arcane Defiling
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Blast
Warlock Attack 1: Hand of Blight
Warlock Attack 1: Cruel Bounty
Warlock Attack 1: Crown of Stars
Templar Utility 2: Reward the Obedient
Templar Attack 3: Fearsome Command
Warlock Attack 5: Flames of the Smoking Crown
Warlock Utility 6: Walk Through Darkness
Warlock Attack 7: Mire the Mind
Templar Attack 9: Imperious Gaze
Templar Utility 10: Berate the Weak
Praetor Legate Attack 11: Obsidian Javelin

FEATS
Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Accurate rod)
Level 1: Mindbite Scorn
Level 2: Improved Initiative
Level 4: Balican Praetor
Level 6: Superior Will
Level 8: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Balican High Praetor

ITEMS
Accurate rod x1
Leather Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
====== End ======
Dual Implement Spellcaster isn't really worth it until mid/late Paragon.

Grab an Expertise Feat.  Rod Expertise will give you some extra AC/Reflex with your feat tax.  Expertise and Superior Implement for 1/2 isn't a crazy idea.  You control and damage when you hit.  Hitting is good.

Balican Praetor/Balican High Praetor are flavorful, but don't do a whole lot for you overall.  You could find better feats and fluff them accordingly.

You might also want to consider swapping Heroic Effort for a third at-will (in this case, Eldritch Strike) so you have a functional MBA.  This will depend largely on how often you find yourself in melee range/making OAs.  If it comes up enough in the first few sessions, go for it.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Well, I think you forgot to turn "inherent bonuses" on in your builder program, 'cause that AC is awful.

Walk us through your choices, what is set in stone? The race for example, you'd fare better with a Cha-based race, I think, is Halfling an option ? Dragonborn? Tiefling ?

Why did you put points in Dexterity?

For your E3 and E7 I would pick interrupts (particularly E7, Touch of Command is very powerful).

Considering your initiative isn't the best unless you go Tiefling - Imperious Majesty, and considering at range one tends to be targets at the NADs more often, I would pick Improved Defenses before Improved Initiative. However, this can depend on your DMs style.       

I assume the starting 13 Dex is to qualify for DIS, but the same can be accomplished at this level with a 12 in Dex and 12 in Con, which is a significant difference. And perhaps, as Maltese mentions, prioritizing DIS at this level isn't necessarily the way to go, especially if item acquisition will be light (as the defeault Dark Sun setting assumes).
Starting level 1, I wouldn't wory about DIS at all, but worry about making it out of Heroic in one piece. The bonus to damage you get from Dual Implement Spellcaster is only worth it if you can grab a +3 implement before level 21, which as darkwarlock points out, might be more difficult in a Dark Sun setting. Otherwise, Implement focus doesn't cost you anything other than a feat, and can be useful right away. So either drop Dex altogether, or go with 12 as darkwarlock suggests.

Now that I have had a chance to look at the powers, why Crown of Stars as D1 ? I would think, depending on DMs style, Decree of Khirad will see more use. Aside of what other power you might contemplate picking though, Crown of Stars is not my favorite pick, on the basis that you want to wait using it until a monster is already pretty F***ed. If you and your party optimise for radiant damage, that changes things, but I do not see that as relevant in Heroic.

Please do not pick U2: Reward the Obedient. You will, or at least should, never give up your standard action for a situational shot at healing.
I also do not see the D9: Imperious Gaze as a strong choice. I would think this character will want to stay well out of an area that has a lot of enemies in CB2.

I am not sure how strong of a leader you want to get out of this warlock. Would a hybrid (for example warlock|bard) be better suited to meet your wishes ?  Right now it seems to me you would like to deal damage, impose status effects and heal allies. In my view, if you were to focus on the first 2, forgetting the 3rd one would not be a big deal, since - as so often said on these forums - dead monsters deal no damage.

You might also want to consider swapping Heroic Effort for a third at-will (in this case, Eldritch Strike) so you have a functional MBA.  This will depend largely on how often you find yourself in melee range/making OAs.  If it comes up enough in the first few sessions, go for it.

If I am wielding a rod what do I do for a weapon attack?  Should I wield a weapon just for this attack?
Well, I think you forgot to turn "inherent bonuses" on in your builder program, 'cause that AC is awful.

Walk us through your choices, what is set in stone? The race for example, you'd fare better with a Cha-based race, I think, is Halfling an option ? Dragonborn? Tiefling ?

Why did you put points in Dexterity?

For your E3 and E7 I would pick interrupts (particularly E7, Touch of Command is very powerful).

Considering your initiative isn't the best unless you go Tiefling - Imperious Majesty, and considering at range one tends to be targets at the NADs more often, I would pick Improved Defenses before Improved Initiative. However, this can depend on your DMs style.       

I did forget to turn them on... Thanks!

Nothing is really set in stone.  I appreciate all advice.  However, with race I just chose Human because most Templars are human.  Is it better to give up the additional feat for a bonus to INT?

Points in dex was mainly for DIS.

Now that I have had a chance to look at the powers, why Crown of Stars as D1 ? I would think, depending on DMs style, Decree of Khirad will see more use. Aside of what other power you might contemplate picking though, Crown of Stars is not my favorite pick, on the basis that you want to wait using it until a monster is already pretty F***ed. If you and your party optimise for radiant damage, that changes things, but I do not see that as relevant in Heroic.

Please do not pick U2: Reward the Obedient. You will, or at least should, never give up your standard action for a situational shot at healing.
I also do not see the D9: Imperious Gaze as a strong choice. I would think this character will want to stay well out of an area that has a lot of enemies in CB2.

I am not sure how strong of a leader you want to get out of this warlock. Would a hybrid (for example warlock|bard) be better suited to meet your wishes ?  Right now it seems to me you would like to deal damage, impose status effects and heal allies. In my view, if you were to focus on the first 2, forgetting the 3rd one would not be a big deal, since - as so often said on these forums - dead monsters deal no damage.

Originally I had chosen Decree of Khirad.  I do not remember why I switched it out. 

What would you suggest at U2 and D9?

I do not need to be a strong leader.  I just chose some Templar powers to give it a Dark Sun feel but the SK pact alone will do that.  I would rather just go straight Warlock than to hybrid as a Bard.  That makes sense to me to do the first two and leave out the third.
Given Templar Theme and Warlock, I would go with Eladrin race, start 8/11/10/14/10/18. Leather armor, and a longsword in both hands.

Powers: Eldritch Strike, Cruel Bounty, Decree of Khirad, Ethereal Stride (the U2, you asked), Delbans Deadly Attention, Glare of Oppression, Shadowslip (U6), Touch of Command, Command Insanity (D9) and Bridge of Shades (U10)

Ethereal Stride is straight textbook, teleport as a move action, which can get you out of a tight spot.

Since come level 10 you will already have several interrupts, I did not pick one there, but rather one that can help yuo deal with more terrain challenges (which are likely to increase as you increase in level).

Feats: War Wizards Expertise (works for Arcane attacks and MBAs), Eladrin Soldier (+2 damage, on top of the +1 for two-handing a versatile weapon), Mindbite Scorn, and then DM-dependent Superior Will / Improved Defenses / Improved Initiative.
I would wait with Killing Curse till level 12 or later.

How's he using a longsword as an implement?  War Wizard's Expertise doesn't give him implement proficiency in heavy blades.
Speaking from Dark Sun experience, get training in Endurance somehow. DMs are encouraged in like every paragraph of Dark Sun material to show the players how brutal Athas is, and that often requires Endurance checks in some way.

In fact, although I usually like to go with CHA warlocks, I went with a CONlock for Dark Sun. The surges and boosted Endurance were useful every session. This is somewhat DM dependent however.
Given Templar Theme and Warlock, I would go with Eladrin race, start 8/11/10/14/10/18. Leather armor, and a longsword in both hands.

Powers: Eldritch Strike, Cruel Bounty, Decree of Khirad, Ethereal Stride (the U2, you asked), Delbans Deadly Attention, Glare of Oppression, Shadowslip (U6), Touch of Command, Command Insanity (D9) and Bridge of Shades (U10)

Ethereal Stride is straight textbook, teleport as a move action, which can get you out of a tight spot.

Since come level 10 you will already have several interrupts, I did not pick one there, but rather one that can help yuo deal with more terrain challenges (which are likely to increase as you increase in level).

Feats: War Wizards Expertise (works for Arcane attacks and MBAs), Eladrin Soldier (+2 damage, on top of the +1 for two-handing a versatile weapon), Mindbite Scorn, and then DM-dependent Superior Will / Improved Defenses / Improved Initiative.
I would wait with Killing Curse till level 12 or later.

I really appreciate that you put in the time to build this for me.  However, the DM ruled that in order to be a Templar I must be either human or Tiefling. 
I really dislike humans (that's a personal issue I am working on), and Tieflings have a great set of options specifically written for them, so I'd go Tiefling.
Sign In to post comments