Zombies in Gamma World

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been watching THE WALKING DEAD recently, and it occurs to me that GAMMA WORLD is already set up to do most of the heavy lifting in a zombie-apocolype style campaign.

I was thinking that you could ignore most of the mutations and build some zombies to throw at the players. Much of the other stuff you might want (lists of stuff to find, etc) seems to be in the rules already.

Anyone run a game like this? Does it sound like too much work, or too little like GAMMA WORLD?

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

Zombies have been defined in one of the supplements (either Famine in Far-go or Legion of Gold).

Kerry
Zombies have been defined in one of the supplements (either Famine in Far-go or Legion of Gold).

Both:
- Famine in Far-go had Herd zombie, Pod Zombie, Blue screen zombie, Fast zombie and Warp Zombie.
- Legion of Gold had 'real deadun' Zombie and slavering maw Zombie.

I'll track down the expansions to see what they did with zombies.

So would a zombie campaign without mutations using GAMMA WORLD rules be totally pointless? I mean, if the mutations are gone would it be better to just use other rules, or does it seem like one can get a similar apocolyptic feel as GW without all the mutations.

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

You can always use Zombies from 4e and even the suplement "Open Grave".

No mutations? No problem, make everbody a pure strain humans and use the optimal feat system for better custominization, there you have it. 
So would a zombie campaign without mutations using GAMMA WORLD rules be totally pointless? I mean, if the mutations are gone would it be better to just use other rules, or does it seem like one can get a similar apocolyptic feel as GW without all the mutations.

I think that really depends on the feel. In particular, I don't want characters to have a bunch of hit points and willing to jump into a crowd of zombies. I want them to fear hordes in a zombie game. But that is simply my preference. (Oddly enough, in a standard fantasy setting, I am fine with a paladin jumping into a horde of zombies to reach the necromancer.)

Kerry

Hey, Kerry, I know what you mean about fearing the hordes. I suppose my solution would just be to increase the number of zombies in the horde. Wink

I guess I imagine something where characters are significantly better than zombies, but zombies so far outnumber the characters that you have to run as you fight. (I have a copy of Twilight Creation's Zombies!!! game that comes with 50+ zombie figures. I figure that's a good start...)

I don't want characters to have a bunch of hit points and willing to jump into a crowd of zombies. I want them to fear hordes in a zombie game.

fwiw: some of those zombies can do some serious damage if they get ahold of you. I took out a high level Gamma World PC pretty quickly with just a few.

I have a copy of Twilight Creation's Zombies!!! game that comes with 50+ zombie figures. I figure that's a good start...

If desired:
Zombicide season 2 (right now on Kickstarter) gives you 170+ miniatures for $100, compared to 90 miniatures if you waited to get it on Amazon (likely about $73).

Also: Zombicide Season 1 on Amazon ($64) gives you 71 miniatures (compared to 114 miniatures for $100 on Kickstarter). Season 1's best value is Amazon, but Season 2's best value is Kickstarter.

As for the Mall expansion: that will likely be on Miniaturemarket.com for 20% off (like all of season 1's expansions).

Then there is also Zpocalypse, Zpocalypse Aftermath, Last Night on Earth, etc.

I think that really depends on the feel. In particular, I don't want characters to have a bunch of hit points and willing to jump into a crowd of zombies. I want them to fear hordes in a zombie game. But that is simply my preference. (Oddly enough, in a standard fantasy setting, I am fine with a paladin jumping into a horde of zombies to reach the necromancer.)

Kerry

Then I don't think this version of Gamma World is right for what you want to do. It sounds like too much work to modify and when I play this version of GW I want something simple and fun.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

I think it could work. You can have the players roll d6 to determine what stats have get an 18 and 16, 3d6 for the rest. They would just have basic attacks, so anyone who is Wis and Char stat heavy might get screwed in combat. You could either let them play as is, their characters could be old (high Wis) or small children (high Char) and have them hide during combat. I would think you would need some sort of mechanic to give them a edge in other areas. Maybe children and smaller and can squeeze in small places. Old people... ah smell bad so zombies don't attack them as much? Or maybe people get another random +4 on the skill table? Or if a player rolls Wis or Char on the first roll then they have to roll 1d4 to force them to have a good stat in str, con, dex or int.

Because the players are just normal people, and don't have a bunch of fancy attacks, I would make loot an important factor. Chainsaws, fancy swords, ammo, riot gear stuff that's more powerful then normal attacks. You could also assign random bonuses to characters during character creation to make them more unique from one another. +2 to speed, can make an unarmed attack as a minor action, Extra HP, Bonus to defense ect.

Other then that I don't think there is any extra DMing stuff that you would need to do. If this is going to be a long term campaign, you might need to think of stuff for leveling to make it interesting, other then the normal numbers boosting.
All good ideas, but if you really want to play a 'Walking Dead' style campaign try the game system 'Outbreak: Undead', it is a cracker.
Sign In to post comments