Dragonfire Adept questions

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm wondering if someone can answer these questions.

Draconic Invocations. I know that at 1st level you only know 1  But of what grade? And how often can I use the invocation?
 Also what race should I go for? I've heard Human is nice for the extra feats.
But what feats would be the most beneficial?

This is 3.5 with base races but not base classes.  

Also any other advice would be nice. Thanks! 
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
I'm wondering if someone can answer these questions.

Draconic Invocations. I know that at 1st level you only know 1  But of what grade? And how often can I use the invocation?

As per page 25 of the Dragon Magic book, you know one least invocation at level 1 (you get a second at level 3);  at level 6, you gain access to lesser invocations;  greater invocations come online at 11; dark invocations appear at 16.

Also what race should I go for? I've heard Human is nice for the extra feats.
But what feats would be the most beneficial?

It all depends on what your DM has up his sleeve.  Humans are never a bad choice, but Dwarves (poison resistance, a bonus to Con, and spell/SLA resistance), Elves (free weapon proficiencies and bonuses to class skills, but beware the Con hit), and Gnomes (bonus to Con and bonuses to class skills) can also work well.

As for feats, Dragontouched (Dragon Magic 18) can get you the dragonblood subtype (if you wanted it for another feat), but the other feat(s) depend on what you're planning on doing with the character (melee or ranged) and what other books are available (since you might be able to apply Warlock feats to your invocations).     
Well, you automatically get Dragontouched as a 1st level DFA.

Going human is probably your best bet.

There's a DFA handbook floating around the Previous Edition CharOpt board, but in particular...

ENTANGLING EXHALATION!!!! (Races of the Dragon)

Ok, a little more seriously. What it does is allow you to reduce your breath by half damage, and then force any foe damage by your breath to be entangled for d4 rounds, taking a d6 of the same element of the breath weapon each round.

So at level 1, you give your opponents -2 Attack Rolls, -4Dex, Half movement Speed, and for d4 rounds do the same d6 damage your breath normally would have for free.

Typically, your DragonFire Adept is not a nuke class. (well, not until level 15 if evil or neutral anyways) It is a control class that weakens your opponents so your allies can do the slaying.

At level 2, typically take Frost Breath for a non-fire damage. And you can now alternate Entangling Fire and Frost, so 2d6 per round.

At level 5, you get Slow Breath, and your allies will praise you as a God of life-saving. Removing an enemies ability to multi-attack is the difference from your tank dying and your tank letting daylight through the enemies skull.

If you go human, you may want to take the Draconic Heritage feat, leading in to you picking up other Draconic feats to get Darkvision, 20ft Blindsense, Spot and Listen bonuses, and even bonuses to knowledge checks.

If you take the Draconic Knowledge Invocation you can wind up with a check that makes bards cry in envy without even putting a rank in the darn things.

Invocation (+6) + Draconic Knowledge feat (+X equal to the number of Draconic feats you have) + Int = :D

If you take other Draconic feats at levels 3,6, and 9 you can easily have a +12 to Knowledge: Shoestrings since the bonuses also let you have all knowledges untrained.

Congrats, you are now a loremaster who jointly majored in battlefield control.

You can't be snuck up on (barring Incorporeal or Darkstalker), you know something about everything you look at, and you make your allies have a field day in combat.

Go Con>Dex>Int>other and you should be a happy character.