Re: gaining powers in Essentials

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's say that a character has attained 13th level.  Under normal 4E rules, the character can take a 13th level Encounter attack power, but must first drop a lower level attack power in order to gain it.  For example, a rogue has the 3rd level encounter attack power Flattening Shot.  This rogue has  attained 13th level, and has the opportunity to gain, say, Fitting Demise (MP2, p. 64).  However, in order to get that power he must drop a lower level power, such as the aforementioned Flattening Shot, in order to gain Fitting Demise.

However, when I read the rules for Essentials, I see nothing that requires that same rogue to surrender powers at the heroic tier for new powers at the paragon or epic tiers.  The same thing applies to wizards and warlocks.  A wizard does NOT have to surrender the Shock Sphere power (HotFL, p. 211) in order to gain Twisted Lightning (Ibid., p. 222).

Am I reading this correctly? 

My personal thought on this is that 4E was a great improvement on the game, while Essentials brought in some logic for the martial classes (Daily powers for martial characters?  Never was too sure about that).  However, if one were to combine the best aspects of 4E and Essentials, the result would be quite awesome.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your answers.
Essentials classes are different than non-essentials classes. The essentials rogue may technically be a rogue, but it's power progression is different. Basically, you get what the game says you get. No more, no less.

You're reading it correctly in a sense. A rogue (thief) would merely get another use of his Backstab class feature at level 13. He's not gaining a power. He's gaining another use of his class feature, so he's not replacing anything. The mage adds spells to their spellbook, but they can only prepare a specific number/day. They can't cast every spell they know.
Let's say that a character has attained 13th level.  Under normal 4E rules, the character can take a 13th level Encounter attack power, but must first drop a lower level attack power in order to gain it.  For example, a rogue has the 3rd level encounter attack power Flattening Shot.  This rogue has  attained 13th level, and has the opportunity to gain, say, Fitting Demise (MP2, p. 64).  However, in order to get that power he must drop a lower level power, such as the aforementioned Flattening Shot, in order to gain Fitting Demise.

However, when I read the rules for Essentials, I see nothing that requires that same rogue to surrender powers at the heroic tier for new powers at the paragon or epic tiers.  The same thing applies to wizards and warlocks.  A wizard does NOT have to surrender the Shock Sphere power (HotFL, p. 211) in order to gain Twisted Lightning (Ibid., p. 222).

Am I reading this correctly?

Sort of.  As babcock notes, most Essentials classes have certain class features that are added to at various levels.  Rogue (Thief), for example, gets an extra use of Backstab.  The reason he doesn't surrender anything is because there's a presumption that level 13 powers are more powerful than level 3 ones.  In order to boost the power level, they give you an extra use, rather than replacing anything.  The original Rogue class from the PHB (now called Rogue (Scoundrel) to differentiate) does have to give up a level 1/3/7 Encounter power to get a level 13- the presumption is that the level 13 is more powerful.  You'll note that the Thief never gets Encounter or Daily Attack powers.  They do, however, get utilities.  Note that when they have an option of Utility power, they can poach from the PHB Rogue, and the PHB Rogue can grab these utilities.

Wizard (Mage), on the other hand, is pulling a bit of a trick.  Note the Spellbook on page 200.  You can take two Level 13 spells for your spellbook, but you can still only prepare 3 Encounter spells per day, and no more than one of any level.  This is a nod to pre-4E Wizards and Vancian Casting.  But you still have an effective limit of 3 Encounter powers at a time (instead of 4 at level 13 for most Essentials martial classes), it's just that you have more choice.

I see where I neglected to read, and I thank you for your pointing such things out.  Happily, for my own purposes, I shall elect to homebrew my world with a combination of the two, plus my own "spice".