Lords of Creation: Chaos Within (IC Thread)

755 posts / 0 new
Last post
In the darkness of this plane, the presence could not see. But it could feel, it could sense when Zebus's arm was summoned to the mortal world again. And the presence let it go.

Could it have prevented this? Even it wasn't sure. Zebus had created a pale reflection of Umbra's power, but the two had not been tested. The presence disliked tests unless it was sure it would win.

It was fortunate, then, that Umbra no longer had need for the bit of god flesh. It had examined the arm, understood the whole from the part, distilled that knowledge, and extracted a fragement of the power it represented.

That took the form of a tiny seed. It assumed Umbra that the god of death would himself be a subject of life. All things lived, but not everything would have to die, or so the master promised.

That mote of information would be quite useful, in the right hands. Not that the master had hands....

Umbra slipped between the worlds.

~~~The Crown~~~

Onus stood.

He was ill. He should seek help, but he was ill. He couldn't think, couldn't move. Ever since the battle with the god mountain, there had been a pain in his body. Yet he had ignored it. Now the pain was growing, spreading, and he could not move.

His eyes still functioned, after a fashion. Along the crevices of his mountainous form, he could see rivers of dark mud growing, creeping up him. They hardened to a normal color when the sun hit them, but Onus could still feel them. He could feel them to his very roots.

A presence inside his mind pushed, and the living mountain yawned. His mind went to sleep, but in the sleep he dreamed and did many strange things.

AP

1AP Command: Onus. Crimson had pointed out to me that in the battle between him and TASOE, he had part of evil infect him. Since Crimson said he couldn't play anymore, I thought mind-controling this god would be useful, at least until Crimson decides to come back. As with Umbra, it's a free action for Crimson to free Onus.

4AP remaining

~~~The Godcrater~~~

Time passed, ages passed, memory passed.

In a forgotten corner of the godcrater, with a body bruised from his battle with the guardian angels, Altruis awoke to darkness.

The darkness awoke to him.

The two considered each other for a moment, but the darkness acted first. All the unnatural inky blackness of the godcrater flooded into the god of undeath.

Altruis stood up, retrieved his white sword, and looked around.

This place had become very strange, in his sleep. Where was Azgo, and what had happened here?

AP

1AP command: Altruis. Since we're now in the fourth week of Rimmon's absence, and since he hasn't responded to communication attempts, I'm mind controlling his god, at least until he gets back. I loved Altruis, and would hate to see him pass from the world without a proper finale.

3AP remaining
Pruinus slowly tore herself away from watching the Nix. She had no idea how long she had watched the Nix for. She saw them holding some form of ceremonial feast on the mountainsides and one by one, they slowly withdrew into the cliff face. She could find another clan to watch and observe, but she slowly broke from her trance to realize she had to return her old duties.

How long had this winter raged on?

She gently hovered up and saw the planet dotted with white, all sign of heat gone.

Holding her arms forward and facing her palms upwards, she curled with fingers back to her in a beckoning gesture. All the coldness in the world seemed to obey her, snow and hail redirecting its route back to her, frigid winds spirraling around as all the cold in the world seemed to drain away.

Once again, Winter had passed.
The winds of the folding storm swept over the southern part of the world, in a never-ending trail of swirling clouds and drenching showers. These pockets of rain didn't happen by chance, though. There was something that forced them to behave... erradically-- a sort of source of sustenance in the heart of the stormclouds that gave them a crude form of sentience.

The storms raged on, and just as the erradic behavior had begun, it stopped. What happened next was far from happenstance. A rod of blinding light cracked the darkened skies, and a single amorphous cloud fell from the rolling storm and plummeted down to the earth below. Upon impact with the earth, the cloudy form spilled forth its watery remains and littered the ground with soaking mud. The heavens continued to roll south, releasing a lighter stream of showers and returning to their natural state.

The muddy earth began to change rapidly, following suit of the light mist that fell from the subtle storm above. The mist coalesced into a small, amorphous cloud that soon took a familiar shape-- a shape that resembled a common humanoid. This being was no ordinary humaniod, however. The misty form was mostly transparent and didn't hold itself together fairly well-- a slight breeze easily spread its essence away, but soon came back and molded with the form once again. The being turned its head whichever way, attempting to figure out where it was and what to do next.

It did not know where it was. It did not know where to go. It knew it was alone. It knew it was afraid. It had to move from the muddy hillside quickly to escape and protect itself from the howling winds below.

Climbing up the soaking hillside, it came across a strange divot in the earth-- some few hundred yards away from where it landed. It realized that this space should do, and so it hid itself underneath the cover of the dry stone as it watched the storm rage around it-- collecting more water as it fell from the skies above.

Resident Paladin of Insane Imaginations

PbP Haven Group (Relocated) & My Groups
If you missed the old Play-by-Post Haven, don't fret! You still have a chance to play with others in the community! Click here to go to the new Play-by-Post Haven!

Currently active groups
I am DM'ing:
Heroes' Last Stand; Worlds Abroad; City of Ruins
Currently playing in:
Worlds Abroad (Nelasene, Human Dreamweaver -- Lv. 22; Raiann Firescale, Dragonborn Arcane Monk -- Lv. 22)
Fable [4e] (Karinna, Dragonborn Warlord -- Lv. 1)
Lolth's Purging: Shadows of Treachery (Kuri Evanglar, Shardmind Wizard -- Lv. 15)
City of Ruins [Kobold City] (Karnat Lightsoul, Kobold Cleric -- Lv. 1)
City of Ruins [Frozen Citadel] (Xeadin, Human Paladin -- Lv. 1)

Mirthomir (Enara Harpsong, Eladrin Wizard -- Lv. 1)
Last Breaths of Ashenport (Malkary Runestone, Goliath Runepriest -- Lv. 8)
D&D Modern Worlds Haven

Miss playing in a Modern setting? Want to get a group together? Don't miss out on the brand new opportunity to do so in the Modern Worlds Haven forums

Wanna have fun with the monster creator in the DMG or on the DDI website, and don't know where else to put them?

Post your unique creations here in any one of the threads matching the first letter of your monster. You can post as many creations as you like.
Happy building! ;)

D&D Homebrew and Open Game Content Wiki

Expand your D&D game with the Dungeons & Dragons Homebrew and Open Game Content Wiki!

Covers everytihng from Canon to 3.5 Homebrew and Open game content, and even to Homebrew 4e content. Will soon have content from my upcoming RPG.

Zebus had impaled him, pinning Azgo to his throne. Icy bones, mirror images of the skeletal rib cage of Zebus, enclosed around him.

At first he struggled, chipping the ice and sending fractures all along its form. He screamed and bellowed in fury and never took his eyes off of Zebus. But as larger and larger sections of the fortress fell around him, a slow smile sprouted across his hideous flesh. Looking now, it was as if it has always been there, so set were the wrinkles and the glorious glint in his eyes. He had been eerily close. A hairsbreadth away.

Two gods had entered his realm... twice. And both had failed to destroy him. This was a great victory, for the Firstborn were indeed...

Frail.

"And so now you learn, Zebus."

The smile was consumed with a blood-curdling roar. His jaws unhinged, flesh strained and snapped, and as cysts burst from the pressure a cocktail of blood and pus flowed from within his mouth. It would be an image that might haunt Zebus for centuries.

"I. CANNOT. BE. KILLED. BY. YOU."

"FLEE LITTLE GOD! FLEE AND KNOW THAT ONE DAY YOU WILL HAVE NO WHERE LEFT TO GO! JUSTICE IS INEVITABLE! I AM INEVITABLE!"

And then Zebus was gone. The palace rumbled and shook. Spires tumbled and fell. Fountains overflowed.
Azgo lowered his heads and waited, in perfect slumber. And a blanket of rubble enclosed about him. A tomb.

There was a bright flash of light, and then the Godcrater had vanished from where it had been. Hurtling through the tainted abyssal air, the island crashed into the new plane-spanning sea.

Upon impact, the giant earthmote split apart into a wide archipelago. Large portions of rock are scattered along with the ruins of the great Guvarah An. Sections of walls, broken towers, and half-furnished halls dott the sunken, craggy islands at random intervals. Admist all the wreckage and from even the very tip of the island chains, the tallest tower of Guvarah An can be seen, keeping vigil. For a time, there was peace.

For a time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Large swaths of feilds had been torn down to the very roots. From village to village and between ruinous citys of forgotten ages, thousands of acres of farmland was no longer good for anything other than a grave. Entire histories of agriculture had been lost in the purge of civilization. Only the elderly spoke of bountiful harvests, something that was now seemed a harsh delirium. To sleep with a full stomach was enough of a dream in itself. And many animal herds had been slaughtered by the worn, desperate blades of soldiers on the march.

Food was a scarcity.

Many died in competition with each other. But most adapted, and numbers naturally thinned.

Some refused to lie down and die. Small clans of humans and dwarves scavenged amongst the long dead forests and hills. They hiked miles under the sun's glare, and when they could walk no longer, others carried them. It was a brutal life... But it was life! They would give it up for no reason. Which is why many of the clans, under dire pressure, fell upon the old battlefeilds with the abandon of an unprotected feast. They shoveled handfuls of craterspawn ash into their mouths, and broke knees for seconds. The transformation took weeks as the tribes gorged themselves, first on the ash, then upon each other.

They became monsters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They wandered around into refugee camps, frail towns founded on lost ideals, and temples to the old gods that were now only shelter for a bitter people.

Draped in tattered furs, the emmisaries were unassuming but confident. They were quiet but held an air of magnetism. Theirs was a simple message whispered in the ear.

"The gods abandoned us. Left us. But there is one who is left. One who still watches the world. Come with us, worship."

They were sometimes chased out of town, for the very idea of worshipping whoever sent the "Spawn" was sick. But silence and hardship were brutal companions, and when the priests retreated, a few always followed them out from the camps and into the wilds. Each cult was individual, independent from the others. But they all prayed to the Lord of the Craterspawn. The echoes of praises drifted through the ether.

OOC
Clarifications:
The Oni are created from the starving human clans. They have become tainted with bottomless sickness that manifests itself in strong, wild desire. They are clever, stong, and large creatures that are dominated by greed, gluttony, lust, and a desire for lavish lifestyles. They can shapeshift to appear as humans or dwarves.

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

Sa meandered east. It was headed in nowhere in particular, but its thoughts were filled with the Healing God Seg.

In retrospect, perhaps Sa had been projecting onto the other god. He seemed wholly fulfilled. Seg knew what a Seg was, even if he would not speak plain with Sa.

What did Sa have? Promises. Weak promises of uncaring mortals. They made no promises to Sa. Sa had to steal them, eavesdrop. Their promises lacked foresight, vision. They were made in haste, and were fleeting.

Had Sa a body, it would have stopped short.

Here. There was something here. Sa felt around the space, high above the barren wastes. It was empty. But it was filled with something all the same.

It was a promise.

A promise of what once was, and of what could be. A promise of vengeance against what should have been, but was not. There were echos too, of the promise that had brought Sa here, the promise of an invitation, the promise of an entire world, unsuspecting, ripe, and heavy with differences.

Sa drew back as it gathered its power, hesitating. What did it mean, to fulfill the promise of the world? Sa saw shining nations of peoples, united in harmony; Sa saw death, and doom, and despair beyond fiersome pyres of fires; Sa saw a broken god made whole atop a broken god split in twain.

It was a new thing, to look on the promises of the world. Sa concluded this was a good perspective to have.

AP Expenditure
-2 AP Claim Domain: Prophecy. Prophecies are not always right, but they are always possible, a flicker of a promised future.
3/5
To the forests west of The Crown, a hunter stalked his prey between the trees. A small blade held within each of his hands, the hunter took small, silent steps on his padded feet. His prey; A dire snow wolf. The townsfolk claimed to be losing their cattle to this creature and the hunter knew it would provide a worthy opponent to test himself against.

Silent as a ghost, he advanced silently towards the massive beast, readying his twin blades to deliver two devastating cuts. Closer and closer he crept, until he could smell the the beasts poor victims on its breath. The Hunter wasn't exactly what you would call tall, standing at just five feet tall and the beast stood at what seemed the exact same height as him. Both the hunter and the dire wolf were pure white in colour, blending seamlessly into the snowy forest.

The soft crunch of snow beneath his feet sounded a marching band in his own mind, and an explosion echoed through the forest as his foot placed itself upon a fallen twig.

The beasts head darted towards it, the two creatures eyes met for a few seconds. The beasts mouth slowly formed into a malevolent snarl, darting forward with long, sharp fangs bared at its new prey. With careful timing, the hunter sidestepped the lunge, arcing the blade in his right hand towards the beast. The beast let out a yelp as a small spray of blood coloured the snow. The hunter turned hoping to see the beast defeated, but was not surprised to see the beast more angry and determined. The dire wolf now circled towards him more carefully and the hunter did the same. Without any warning or indication, the beast made another lunge and the hunter found his arm lodged within the beasts fangs, dropping the blade in pain as the fangs pierced the flesh on his right arm. Shifting his weight to that side and tackling the wolf into a boulder, he managed to free himself from its grasp, but was in terrible pain.

He was more skilled in his right hand, and now at a severe disadvantage. The Wolf scrambled back to its feet and stood the higher ground, savagely leaping towards him with saliva dripping from its mouth. With less then a second to react, he dropped to the ground to dodge the beasts lunge. Before he could get back upto his feet, he felt a claw press down on his left arm and the blade fall from his grasp. The Beasts fangs were now snapping at his throat and all he could do was lunge and try to push the beast back feebly with his feet under its stomach, but to no avail. The beast far outweighed him and he couldn't budge it an inch, and its with every attempt its fangs got that much closer to his exposed throat, the warm breath stank of torn flesh. He struggled with his right hand to reach into the pockets of his breeches and pull out one of the carving knives.

Managing to slip his hand in the pocket and retrieve the carving knive, he jerked his hand back upwards, the knife tearing through his clothing as he did. He gulped.

He had to do it or he would die. It was kill or be killed.

Without any delay, he jammed the point of the knife into the wolfs right eye, the beasts painful yelp mixing with a sickening crunch tormenting the hunter as he twisted the knife around, white puss and crimson blood trickling down from the eye socket. As he twisted the knife, the beast fall off of him and stumbled around, letting out a whimpering, pained howl.

He approached it once more, grabbing it. It struggled in his arms, flailing wildly until it simply seemed to give in. Lowering his head, he whispered to the beast.

"I-I'm sorry..."

His blade quickly slashed through the beasts throat, spraying blood on the pure white floor of the forest. He held the beast as its feet kicked in its last death throes, shushing it to sleep as it did. When he sensed all the beasts life signs cease, he began to sob quietly.

No.... You can't feel this... remorse... this weakness.

He felt the churning feeling in his stomach that often called after he made a kill. He willed himself not to do it, but knew he had no control as he felt to the ground on his knees and fell forward again, propping himself up with one arm as he began to vomit violently on the ground.

He repeated this process three more times, sobbing all the while before gaining his composure. He was disappointed with himself. He'd never be able to return to his homeland if he couldn't hunt like a true Nix. He couldn't be weak. He had to forget the way of life his human adopters had taught him.

Sighing to himself, he began to tear the knife through the beats thick, muscular neck. He severed the head from the beast and begin to walk home with it in his arms. He was in a lot of pain and didn't care to take the swords. He could get another forged. He wondered what his next hunt would be, and if it would kill him. They said the forests of the crown were teaming with dire wolves and more ferocious beasts, he'd have to carry on fighting and get stronger, or Timmy Bushytail would be torn apart in his homeland.
Zebus sat down at the edge of the new sea. I could have killed him you know. I didn't want to, but I was able to. Speaking to no one in particular. He might still die some day being impaled with my sword. I don't think we'll be seeing him for a long while if at all. Changing subjects suddenly. There has been a lot of death and devastation recently. I wonder if there is anything I can do to help the healing process now that it is over? I guess leave for a time. I do have duties to attend to after all.

He looks around to see who, if anyone has joined him.

show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/6.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg)

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

OOC
Really sorry about my absence this week.  Unfortunately, with my computer problems, it looks like it will be continuing for at least part of next week...

Agni
's face cracked into a broad grin of triumph as his foe knelt at his feet and the smoke cleared.  

Good.  Good.  I accept your oath.        Agni said as the smoke cleared around them.  For a moment, he and Ka'Vah watched one another in the wary way that one watches one whose intentions one does not trust.   Then, the ground began to buck and shake beneath them, as if the plane itself wished to punish the two of them for their actions.  Moments later, Zebus, looking significantly worse for wear, dashed by them, shouting for them to follow or be trapped.  Agni and Ka'Vah didn't need any encouragement, and followed as quickly as they could.  

A few minutes later, after Zebus caused the GodCrater to dissapear, Agni watched as the seas rolled into the area where the GodCrater had been, finding it a striking paralell to the birth of his Son.  But where Agni had given Thereus his life, Zebus had shown no such mercy.

Agni looked over at Zebus.

Is it done, then?  World Destroyed, Confused, deranged God trapped beyond the reach of the universe?  DeathLord, you have certainly lived up to your name.

and used me to do it.     Agni thought to himself, the words of Ka'Vah ringing in his head.  Was it true?  Was he being manipulated?

~Sil Arkoshian Refugees~

As winter broke at last, the ground became easier to travel on, and soon the dwarves could see the outlines of old roads, all leading towards the great ring of mountains that dominated the northern sky.

Skirting the magma-strewn plain to their east, they followed the road, and soon made their way into the crown itself.  

OOC
Anyone want to talk to some dwarves?

~East of the Eternal Volcano~

It was probably for the best that the refugees of the Sil Arkoshian debacle had avoided the magma plain, for the ground there was moving.  Not in any grand sense, mind you.  Not an earthquake, not an eruption of a new volcanic mountain into the heavens, nothing like that.  Just... periodic, localized, rhythmic movement, as if something was... digging.  This continued for months, until one day the sounds grew louder, and seemed to come from all directions at once.

A long, sharp chitinated forearm stabbed through the rocky ground into the air.  It was soon followed by another arm, and together, the arms cleared a path fo the entire insectoid animal.  Balancing on four narrow, segmented legs, the multi-faceted eyes looked over the terrain as its mandibles clicked open and shut in the arid wind.  An undulating cry rang out across the landscape, and, as if on cue, dozens of other openings into the earth appeared, each created by another one of the insects.

AP:

3 AP:  Shape Populace:  Chitrachs.  Chitrachs are a hive-based (but not hive-mind) insectoid race that is highly intelligent but speaks in a language that is unintelligible (for now) to other races.  They are roughly six feet tall (three of those feet being their legs holding their torso off the ground, with a thick chitin shell offering a natural armor.  They have an ant-like communal structure, with individual hives having only one or at most a few fertile females and a larger assortment of males (most adventurers will be males unable to find a receptive mate).  Speaking of...

1 AP:  Ascend Exarch:  The Chitrach Queen is not *really* an exarch, but has powers beyond that of most other mortals and is MORE than capable of defending herself.  More about her soon.

1 AP:  Command Land:  The Chitrachs hollow out a series of tunnels underneath the magma fields to the east of the Eternal Volcano.   I hope they think about what to do if the Volcano erupts again... :D

As winter waned and warmer weather took its hold on the world, the artic Elves retreated north. Great migrating trains crossed the landscape, from the barren western lands to the eastern savanah, from the southern shore, and even Avarom, they came. Life was too plush during the warmer months: life became boring.

They took only what they could carry, and even then, lightly. Their buildings metled in the new season, and so they left little behind as they went.

---Southern Shore---

Humans, ever curious, backtracked the elves, to see what they had left.

One band, barely more than a few families, went all the way to the southern shore. All they found were some spoiling food, furs that were ill suited to the warme climb, some bone weapons, and a giant mangrove tree rising out of the waters.

This last thing they were most curious about. The problem was, however, a matter of reaching it.

It was a little girl who solved the problem. She saw one of the tree's leaves floating on the waves. If a leaf might float, why not something else?

The people went about gathering many leaves and, carefully, sewed them together into a giant raft, which, though weak, was strong enough to send a few people over.

These investigated the mountainous tree and found it a delightful place. Further, given the difficulty of reaching it, perhaps here they would be safe. So the tribe relocated, and flourish in the tree's boughs. Over the years, their bodies became better adapted to their new life. Shorter of stature, but nimble, agile, and with dexterous feet, the better to climb with.  All this, because a little girl saw a leaf floating on the waves.

AP

1AP Command: Teach this southern group how to make boats and the basics of sailing.
1AP nourish: The mangrove tree supports a diverse environment suitable for longterm habitation.
3AP popluate: Halflings. Turn this group of southern humans into halflings.

0AP remaining
He had been circling overhead for days now, on the hunt. Dappled sunlight reflected off of the dull, black scales and warmer winds held his mammoth body aloft. Truely, flying in winter had been less than pleasant.

The clouds parted, and then he saw them. A large group of dwarves trekking across the roads. His eyes narrowed, and with the learned grace of ages plumetted upon them, his wings furling close to his scarred body.

With a bellow of challenge, the veteran dragon landed in front of the dwarves. He leaned back unto his rear legs and spread his iron-hard wings in front of the sun, casting a draconian shadow across the refugees. He eyed them with both disgust and... curiosity. These were definitely the hairiest craterspawn he had ever met, and the shortest. But that only meant they would be easier to purge.

"Prepare yourselves for death, foul children of Azgo! No longer shall you pollute this place, for the wrath of Cantorix is laid upon you!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azgo slept, resting as his skin froze upon his warm blood.

And as he slept, he dreamed. His eyes rolled back into their sockets and he dreamt of the world. The world had been wounded, and it had been a deep wound indeed. But people were once again gathering, building.

And... worshipping?!

The very thought darkened his dreams with curtains of bile. After all that they had been through, how dare they praise Firstborn names! How dare they!

And then he heard it, warped whispers that took the dancing forms of slaughtered angels in his mind. Praises... of Firstborn? No, no. Was it... him? Had they recanted the old ways?

With every word of blessing and invocation, stories of the world filled The Fused God's mind. Ashen forests, clawed bramble fields, rolling deserts, and broken mountains. Even as Azgo stirred, the thoughts remained.

And Azgo, still caught in the darkness between slumber and awakening, cast out a an answer. It stopped at the edge of the abyssal prison, and then rode upon the ethereal river of words that spilled through the cracks.

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. -Revelation 21:6

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.-John Donne, Meditation XVII

My photo was found here.

The god-sun stretched in its sleep, causing the light of the world to twist. A giant egg dropped from it and landed in the middle of the crown.

AP

3AP create exarch: Zizu, the third godbeast. When it hatches, it will be a monsterous bird, taller than a mountain, and particularly suited for countering Zebus.

0Ap remaining
Reset.

No idea if Shadow or Joran decided on more AP, so I'll just assume 5 AP for everyone.  

Map

No clue when I'll have this done.  Will be after I get my computer back from being repaired, which should take the better part of this week at best.

Story

Ditto, although I might be able to get this done faster as it doesn't require a program that only exists on that computer!
It had been months now. Months in this cool, damp dwarven outpost. The walls sagged and bent. Nooks and corners were veiled like a bride in fine moss and spider silk. The wind did not flow here; no, the air was stagnant and tasted of black mud. But the smell of smoke drifted about lazily, and dim firelight stretched down the lonely halls.

They were one of many cults huddled on the frontiers, away from prying eyes. And after news of a few cults being slaughtered by god-haters and Firstborn worshippers alike, stealth was equal parts neccessity and virtue to them. Ragtag was an apt description of them. For dwarves devastated by their homeland's loss, gelab duhr left cold in the absence of Onus, exiles and outcasts of the evlen kin, and humans from many lands were gathered here in the antechamber. Torches, held in rusting brackets, lined the walls and a large brazier of dying coals sprinkled with supposedly holy powder stood at the front.

Their worship was just as varied and chaotic as their makeup. They chanted in elder tounges, danced in wild insaine patterns of flailing arms and eyes, raved with fiery speeches of events they did not know, and some with dagger in hand blinded themselves. They would start the night quiet and sincere, but as the moon climbed ever higher into the black maw of the night, the cult worked itself into a frenzy of passion and self-injury only to at last fall into a lethargic stupor. Many believed. A few were fanatical, and some were here simply to be different from the godless masses and to find a reason to celebrate once more. Almost all the cults were cut from the same cloth. Wild almost to savagry, zealous almost into mindless obsession, and content with ignorance in what they spoke of.

It was a night like the many before it, and as the energy of the atmosphere became charged to the point of lightning, the moon climbed to its zenith. The raving chant of the jibbering masses was sung from the very depths of their chests. And then, suddenly, something happened that had not happened ever before.

The wild chant was pierced  and suddenly consumed by an awful scream that shook the outpost. The torches flickered, and went out. Many of the cultists fell to their knees, entirely unsure of anything around them. The dull horror of a nighmare given reality...

The ash in the brazier was blown into the air and a new, almost dense fire flowed between the cinders akin to roiling flesh. And something seeped out from the fiery, fleshy form to flow and then sizzle in the embers below. Was it... blood?!

"For long have i heard your praises and prayers. For ages I have watched the world fight and bleed and at last stuggle in its death throes. You have called upon me, but know nothing of my name. You have asked for mercy, but you know nothing of my anger. You seek only life, but not its purpose nor its future! Life for its own sake is worthless!!"

"But you were right to seek me, to worship me..."

There was a lengthy pause as the dreaming, blind eyes of Azgo saw into the depths of each cultist. The ash cloud grew and enveloped the room, and the voice that followed seemed not adressed to the crowd but to the individual.

"You have asked for a place far from here, far from the whip and the sword of the godless and the fools. A new begining. If you would serve me and right that which is wrong, go South. There is a giant tree of many twisting roots like the gnarled, grasping fingers of the tyrant god. At this tree the secrets of sea and the future are one. Learn of these secrets, and then swim across the sea until the horizon itslef comes to its edge. There is your begining, but the fools will follow you one day. To those i deem worthy, truth will be carved upon their souls and they will teach you of betrayal and prophesy. Obey them, and obey me. For there is a war to be waged, and we must be ready. Know that I, Azgo The Blood Crowned, Sire of The First Truth, will be watching."

And then the ashen flesh was gone, and the cultists were left in a felling reeking of both unbridled fear and awe. After days of numb waiting, they packed their things and began their exodus. And in a way, they scorned the crowds and villages they passed, for they were not abandoned.

And this small figure, in a multitude of forms, flared into existence to half of the cults all across the continent. The other half were commanded to strengthen their numbers, and in equal measure to infest wilderness and the underbelly of civilization. The cults grew strong. They were no longer frail.

And in the dream of Azgo, rock rose from the very bed of the ocean's darkness and into the light.

OOC
Command Land (?AP): A new continent(s) rise out from the ocean to the west of the main continent. The land is a collection of three very large islands together and dozens/possibly hundreds of smaller islands both between and around them. Something akin to two Australia's surrounded by a few Hawaii-s and Florida Keys. I Have no idea how much AP this costs. 3-5 I assume?

Also, there's a brand new contenient island chain to explore, populate, investigate, nurture and shape! Do something!

AP Remaining: ?

My photo was found here.

~The Road to the Crown~
The dwarves quailed and dove for cover as the mighty dragon (the largest being they had ever seen) landed in front of them, shouting at them with a booming voice that knocked hats from heads and toppled one particularly top-heavy cart, to which one dwarf, who had been warning that it was quite topheavy and might fall over at any moment, gave a brief triumphant smirk to one of his detractors before remembering that it had been a dragon  to topple the cart and growing scared again.

But one small dwarven boy, little older than five, had not run.  In the strange and curiously fearless manner of children, it gazed upwards into the eyes of Cantorix.

"What's an Azgo?"  The boy asked.

~Sil Arkosh~

The Pit of Magma that had once been the great dwarven city of Sil Arkosh was once more a hub of busy activity as new structures were being carved out of the walls.  A new city was emerging, one with canals of liquid fire that poured into the walls of every home, keeping the entire city the blistering-hot temperature that the Azer preferred.  Sil Arkosh prospered.

1 AP:  Command Land:  The Azer carve out a magma-powered city (named Sil Arkosh) next to where the old Sil Arkosh (now covered in said magma) used to be

4 AP remains 
Cantorix was aghast. Never in all of his campaigning had a craterspawn spoken to him. They had called, screeched, moaned and howled, but they had never once spoken. And was something attacking their faces? A large rodent clung to their jawline, or had their feathers migrated across their shoulders to rest on their head? Did they fly with their chin now? Such strange...things...

Cantorix loomed over the boy, and brought his rugged, toothy mouth close to the boy. His eyes looked all over the boy, spending most of the time looking for hidden wings. He snorted, blowing the ragged clothes as if in a strong headwind. The air smelled faintly of sizzling chemicals.

"How do you speak, craterspawn?! What foul ritual has the Wounded God performed upon you to make you capable of lies? And why do you crawl when you can fly? And where are your masks of bone? Answer me?!"

Cantorix was so bewildered that he never considered the idea that asking an enemy to explain its plans and strengths was not so reliable. And if they did not answer, they would soon be dead, and this day not more than the strangest dream of tomorrow.

My photo was found here.

The boy looked down.

"I know I don't talk so good yet."  He muttered.  "You don't have to rub it in."   Memories of being teased by his older siblings, all burned in the flames that had consumed Sil Arkosh, rang through his mind in a taunting chorus.

The child remembered his toy masks, that he and his friends would wear as they ran through the deep darkness of the underground tunnels.  They had been specially designed to protect their faces from damage if they stumbled in the dark.  He had lost all of them... along with his friends.  All gone.  All burned...

And the boy burst into tears. 
And they cried?! No, craterspawn did not cry. Perhaps they could walk, abandon their skull-bone helms, praise Azgo with new tounges, and fly with their chins, but craterspawn did not cry. Surely they could not be tears...

Cantorix tilted his head, his massive tail sweeping behind him. A tree caught the brunt of the blow, and snapped like an angel bone.

"Rub? I am interrogating you, monsterous killer, not 'rubbing' you! And why do you bleed from your face? Does your chin-wing pull at your head? If you think I am intimidated, I cannot be cowed by such petty displays! And more than that, you have not answered any of my questions!"

My photo was found here.

The boy gripped his beard in one hand and tugged on it to calm himself as he watched the splinters raining to earth around the shattered tree trunk.  He had stopped crying.  Now he was too afraid to cry.  Too afraid to run either, though.  Thinking hard, he tried to concentrate on what the thing had asked him.  As a smart Dwarf boy, he knew that this was likely the best way not to be eaten.

"Ahh... Err...  I am not bleeding, My chin-wing?  I think you mean my beard.  It does not tug on my face, but it does itch.  And, ahh.... I can't fly, and I lost my mask.  I think thats all.  Anything... else?"

The boy turned bright eyes up towads the dragon.

High up above, Morenth, a great red dragon, noticed that far below a group of humanoids were being intimidated by... a dragon of another color???   She had never seen such a thing.  She turned in mid-air and began a dive towards the surface.

"Yes, you bled from your eyes! I saw it! Only dragons cry... not that we to... or are weak enough to..."

Cantorix's body relaxed. Finally! This chin-wing-beard boy was answering his questions. Hopefully he would understand more about Azgo's newest creations and his plans for them before he succumbed to the wrath that stirred in his blood. Discipline, Cantorix, discipline.

"My kin have told me that the foul realm of Azgo no longer floats across the western sea. The Wounded has moved his palace somewhere else. Where is it, flightless spawn?! From what sea or pit did you crawl out of?"

And then he heard something, a whistle in the air. The dragon's claws reached out and grabbed the small dwarf defensively and hid him under his wings. That thing would not be killed until he allowed it. His neck craned towards the sky.

My photo was found here.

Morenth landed on the ground, bringing up a large cloud of dust that choked the nearby dwarves.  The red dragon gestured with one hand towards the dwarf child.

"Let the little one go and tell me what manner of Dragon you are."    She hissed.
The sun broke out amidst the rain and a band of colors quickly scoured the sky against the dark cloud. It was a beautiful sight for the being to withhold. It calmly and quaintly walked out of the maw of the cavern it had taken shelter within. The falling skies had quickly faded and the arc of color started to disappear. At that moment, it came to the realization that it needed the rains for sustenance, as it started to feel itself become less maleable again. The winds were calm, yet it still felt itself churning about on the inside.

Just as it came up the hill, it ran down the slope towards the waterfront. It stepped on a large boulder portruding from the surface and lept off of the tip and towards the sea. The air swirling around it turned it into a faint haze as it came closer to the waves. Once it touched the surface of the sea, the water behind came crashing down like the rainstorms and reconstructed itself beneath the water.

It felt at home once again. No longer did it need the sustaining storms that floated above the lands. There was more than enough sustenance for the being to hold itself together. This presented a posing problem for it, though. It realized that it could not leave the seas, otherwise it would become weak again as it did moments ago. It poked its head out of the water and took one long look at the shoreline. There were other places to be seen, yet it had so much to do. It needed to explore the inner landscape, but it was restricted due to its innate disadvantage of requiring a source of sustenance.

It contemplated , trying to figure out a way around that issue. It gave one hard look at the shoreline, then at the landscape, and then looked up the skies. It noticed that the clouds weren't just restricted to moving in one direction-- they had moved in whichever way the winds were. It took some time to figure out an astute plan, and then went underneath the waves. Its essence glowed brighter and parts of it flung out from its body and formed a small spherical ball of bright light. The murky water made the light dim, but it could still be seen.

The ball transformed once it reached a turning point-- small tentacles of light fanned out from either side of the source and started to grow even smaller tentacle-like portrusions from one side of the large portrusions. The source then expanded and it soon became covered in more portrusions that lined its body with a sheen coating. The portrusions flatten against the new body and a long, triangular nose stuck out of the face of the body. Large eyes grew from behind the new being's maw and had grown long legs with hooked toes. Its legs were covered with portrusions that looked like flat plates.

It was happy out the other being's creation, and swam right up to the being. It smiled and took one hand up to the being's head. As if it knew of the other being's existence, the creature brought its head to the being's hand. It brushed its hand against the creature's body, its soft skin soaking in and spitting out water as the new being filled itself with new life. It wobbled around the waves, trying to get a sense of its orientation. The being held on and comforted the giant-winged creature.

It opened its mouth, but it wasn't able to produce sounds. Bubbles emerged and covered its face. It smiled at its own silliness and soon mounted on the giant winged creature. The creature first flapped its long wings through the water-- its first attempt to move had failed, but then it flattened its wings even more. The second attempt sped it through the water without effort and soon breached the surface, where it spread its wings across the open air and let loose a beckoning call across the shoreline. The call bounced off the landscape and travelled across the immediate sea-- ever so slightly hearing the faint echo of its same scream. It shot up into the air and flew straight toward the clouds, with the humanoid clinging tightly on the winged creature's coat. The coat had hardened into a semi-maleable sheen of ice and dust as it reached the edge of the stormclouds and headed towards the center of the mainland at astonishing speeds.

The winged creature soon slowed itself down, as it coasted along the wind-draped clouds. It used its wings to its full potential, gliding along rivers of thermals and absorbed some of the moisture within. The being still held on tightly, while still looking toward the land below. There was so much to be seen. It knew not where to begin.

Large pillars of rock could be seen on the horizon, some spewing dark clouds of smog. Were those the sources of the storms? It had to know. The being got the winged creature's attention and pointed towards the pillars. The creature responded by changing its direction toward the dark smoke, hoping that they'd find the anwers to their questions.

PP Expenditures
3pp -- Create Exarch (Skreiasku, the Sea Hawk): A mighty bird forged from the heart of Lenauti, she is the primary mount of the god of the sea and enables Lena to travel amongst the world using the stormclouds as her vessel of travel.

PP remaining: 2pp

If you missed the old Play-by-Post Haven, don't fret! You still have a chance to play with others in the community! Click here to go to the new Play-by-Post Haven!

Currently active groups
I am DM'ing:
Currently playing in:
Worlds Abroad (Nelasene, Human Dreamweaver -- Lv. 22; Raiann Firescale, Dragonborn Arcane Monk -- Lv. 22)
Lolth's Purging: Shadows of Treachery (Kuri Evanglar, Shardmind Wizard -- Lv. 15)

D&D Modern Worlds Haven

Miss playing in a Modern setting? Want to get a group together? Don't miss out on the brand new opportunity to do so in the Modern Worlds Haven forums

Wanna have fun with the monster creator in the DMG or on the DDI website, and don't know where else to put them?

Post your unique creations here in any one of the threads matching the first letter of your monster. You can post as many creations as you like.
Happy building! ;)

Expand your D&D game with the Dungeons & Dragons Homebrew and Open Game Content Wiki!

Covers everytihng from Canon to 3.5 Homebrew and Open game content, and even to Homebrew 4e content. Will soon have content from my upcoming RPG.

Cantorix staggered back, dumbfounded. A crimson dragon? Were they a corruption of his own kin, colored with the blood of The Wounded God? Too many things were coming together, here, and now. Suprise was chipping away at his discipline.

Cantorix's stance immedietly shifted. His wings were held open, defensively, and he faced her sideways, allowing his tail to stand between this dragon and himself. As it moved, a few of the dwarves were knocked flat on their backs and the heavy cart was sent flying into a nearby ditch. He felt his blood heating in his body, eager. Her demand angered him. He had never spared a craterspawn yet and he was not going to start today.

"Little One?! This... This-flightless warped spawn of Azgo?! Never. Craterspawn, like all servitors of the Blood Crowned, deserves death. If you seek him, you will have to pry him from me!"

My photo was found here.

Morenth spat a ball of fire into some nearby stones, sending them flying and knocking over some more dwarves.

"YOU?  You speak to me of Craterspawn?  I, who have lost my mate, my sons, and most of my kin to defeat them and send them back to their forsaken home?  You DARE accuse me of seeking to protect one?   Open your eyes, you fool.  This is no Craterspawn.  This is..."

She reached out and grabbed a comatose dwarf and eyed it curiously.  Smaller than a human, stocky like a Galeb Duhr, certainly not an Agni'Vohda...  something new... but not reeking of the corruption of the Craterspawn.

"Breath in, Dragon.  Do you smell the corruption?  No?  Now.  Explanations.  Where were you when the Volcano blew?" 
~Near the Eternal Volcano~

The air around the two beings began to become heavier and more dense as they neared the pillars of rock. The being realized that they weren't just solitary peaks-- at the crest of the horizon, it saw that it was a chain of jagged peaks. The majority of them were completely barren, while only a few of them were spewing the smog. Even then, that was enough to make a huge impact on the air above and within the clouds. At first it seemed like the air became cooler, but a change in windspeed quickly turned that prospect around and the air became warm. The winged creature was also having trouble navigating the air current and soon, before it could even grab a bead on its orientation, it spun out of control as it reached a vortex of hot and cold air.

The two were sucked into a whirling funnel of varying air masses within the cloud-- being tossed around like ragdolls. The next moment, they were flung out of the cloud. The winged creature was plummeting toward the toothy maw of the mountains below. The being, knowing that the avian was semi- unconscious, smashed a closed fist on the creature's head and snapped it back awake. The creature continued to hurtle towards the ground, and as it was about to hit, it spread its large wings and caught a massive wave of air. The sudden surge of air caused the creature to quickly reverse its direction of travel with the being barely hanging on for dear life. The creature soon leveled itself out and coasted along the canyons and ravines of the mountain landscape.

The being blew a heavy sigh of relief, and said to itself never to do that again. The creature seemed to acknowledge the being's words, despite them not being spoken. As they continued to fly amongst the chain of mountains, the being noticed that either side of the chains had levelled out into low-lying valleys. On the left, the valley had continued all the way to the edge of the sea where it had come from-- to the right, the valley had came up to another set of mountains, although they seemed to have formed a ring around a raised level surface. The points of the mountaintops seemed to resemble a crown. It smiled at the thought.

Currently active groups
I am DM'ing:
Currently playing in:

D&D Modern Worlds Haven

Happy building! ;)

Fool? Fool?! FOOL?!

A strong shudder went down the whole of his spine. He could feel his muscles tensing, and his eyes scanned over her body for weakness, old wounds, blind spots. His blood bounced around inside him. He felt a deep longing... Death...

No! No, no. Discipline, Cantorix. Resist the blood... His thoughts trailed off into the dark corners of his mind.

"Your kin? And what of mine?! From the first of our days we swore vengence! We hunted them, purged them! It was we who scattered the legions! We followed them into the depths of the underground, so unrelenting are we! And how many of us died for our duty?! Thousands! Tens of Thousands! This land is tained with OUR blood, our triumph over Azgo!"

"And do you trust only in scent? Azgo adapts, endures, and so do his creations! They may not always reek of taint. But perhaps... Perhaps this is no craterspawn. Perhaps."

And what did she mean by "Volcano"? What was a volcano?

"I know of no 'volcano', whatever that is. I know ashen forests and the canals of the deep. I know of the oceans' edge and the frosted north. And I know of The Fused God's floating palace. We do not venture into the lowlands."

My photo was found here.

She settled down onto her hind legs as the other dragon appeared to calm down.  

"Truly?  You do not know of the birthplace of our race?  The Eternal Volcano of Agni where we were born from the eminations of the Great DragonOrb?  Where the Craterspawn struck and fought and died in the millions, dragging our kin along with them?  

I certainly do not recognize this Fused God's palace.  I certainly have never seen one colored as you are before.  And if you helped to defeat the Craterspawn, then you have my thanks, for those of Crimson were nearly destroyed before the victory was won.   But there are more things in the world than Craterspawn.  There are Humans and Nix and the noble Agni'Vohda, who fought by our side.  And this,"
she waved the dwarf she was still holding, [colo=red]"is no Craterspawn."[/color]

"No, it is you who is ignorant of the dragonkind's origin. We were forged by Azgo, doubtlessly for some sinister purpose, and we escaped his tainted touch. And we flew out from his... place, The Godcrater. His blood is with us, and that blood bears some of his memories, and his wrath."

But how did she think differently? No lessons of this history was taught to the Ebon. They felt it, knew it as they grew. They heard his whispered promises in their minds. They saw shadows of the Godcrater in their mind's eye. And the essence of acid always filtered in their nostrils. No dragon could be ignorant of this.

"We are dragonkin, born of darkness to fight the darkness. And we are no slaves."

Cantorix loosened his grasp on the dwarven child. He gave a meaningful glance at the dwarven refugees, or what was left of them. He was not sure if he was speaking to her or to himself.

"But there are no others. There are craterspawn and there are dragons. Night and Day. Black and White. The hunted and the hunters..."

"But you say there are others? Other... things? Things still locked in war? When we scouted the lowlands, there were only few craterspawn. The wilds were teeming with them, and so we followed them into the mountains and the north. This... this is... important. The moot must be called. It must."

Cantorix prepared himself for flight.

My photo was found here.

Much time had passed. Zebus who had sat by that beach for the longest time, just thinking faded from view. The shadow of death passing from the world. Where once death visited, life returns. Barren and scorched landscapes over time start to teem with life once again as balance sought to right itself. Life begins anew.

In the Great Beyond, Zebus steps out of the shadows. Stepping in front of Marcus, a throne appears behind him. It is time I turn to my duties here. See what you can out in the world below. With those very vague directions, Marcus leaves the twisting nether that is the Great Beyond and enters the world below. Order goes to seek its place in the world.

AP

2 AP Nourish: As Zebus leaves the world, he pulls his shadowy pall with him. Death is less common as people are finding food, both plants and animals, to be more plentiful. The destroyed lands, burned and destroyed are slowly starting to come back to life also.

As Zebus, bows out for now, he sends Marcus out into the world. To do what, not even he knows.

3/5 left

show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/6.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg)

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

Timmy arrived in town carrying the head of the dire wolf he had slain. Upon noticing the blood and dirt covered white fur of their local hunter limbing into town, the townsfolk  rushed over to him, offering what help they could and congratulating him on a job well done.

The compliments on how fierce and mighty a hunter he had grown to be seemed a little ironic, considering most of the townsfolk stood at least half a foot taller then him.

As he expetced, his sisters eventually pushed past the crowd to get to him, the eldest of his sisters Lynda grabbed him and dragged back to the cottage for "Medical Attention" which usually hurt more then the injuries he sustained in the first place.

---

"Hold still, this might sting a little"

She told him, dabbing the cotton wool on his cuts. It did always sting. a lot. But Timmy had grown used to this pain and lay still, sucking air through his teeth.

"Why do you do this to yourself timmy? You don't have to prove yourself to anyone"

Everytime one of his sisters took care of him like this, a conversation of this nature would arise sooner or later.

"I've told you time and time again, I want to know where I came from, who my parents were, what my real Clan name is"

The conversation, as it often did, grew into an argument. The conflict concluded with his sister Lynda screaming that he wasn't greatful towrds his family and never truly loved them, before storming out. Timmy was left alone to his thoughts.

Timmy knew that years back the Nix ventured out into the world for the first time in centuries, the second time they had ever left their home. They had wandered the lands in packs, greeting the other races and making trades where possible. The Nix did not possess much beyond what they needed; Food, Water, simple clothing. As such, the trades were rare, but they hapened.

After this, many of the Nix  returned to The Crown once again, but to this day the occasional indidivual or pack can be seen roaming around the areas closer to the crown.

His adoptive parents and sisters told him they found home alone that nearby forest, no parents or clan in sight. Their mother had recently lost a child in birth, a son. He would have been their only son, but the gods cruelly snatchd him from them. Having just lost a son, they couldn't bare to leave him in the wild to die, so they took him in. Or least that's how the story goes, Timmy was far too young to remember any of this.

The Occasional Nix would pass through town, so they asked questions of how to raise the cub, what he'd eat and drink, how to entertain him, whether he'd grow to be a seven foot monster; The usual parenting questions.

When a Nix explained to them how Nix gain their names based on their Clan name and the atributes of the indidivual, his surname was changed. Keeping in line with Nix tradition, his surname was an altered version of their family name of Tailsworth. He instead became Timmy Bushytail, obviously referncing the fluffy tail that hung three feet below him. As they all matured, it became apparent that this wasn't the kind of name the Nix had in mind but the name was already long set in stone, so it stuck.

Both his "parents" were long gone now and only his sisters remained. With mum and dad gone, he began to wonder what his real parents had been like and why he had been abadoned. He also wondered what his real clan name was. He really needed to replace his current surname, soon as possible.

Everytime a Nix passed thorugh town he would pester and interview them for hours about their race, the customs, the traditions, what the crown was like and anything that came to mind. It was obviously the Nix's pride somewhat biased what they said, but the crown sounded to be a truly wonderous place. He knew to get there and learn about his true identity though, he would need to play by their rules and be able to survive in the crown.

So he began to hunt. At just sixteen years of age, he was already the most deadly hunter in the village, but would he be able to match the Nix hunters? Would he even be able to take down the beats that lived in the crown? He didn't know, but as long as he kept breathing he knew he would not give in.

Timmy drowsed off to sleep, dreaming of meeting his ancenstors and joining them in a pure, simple way of life. One day, he hoped to reach an agreement where he could spend half of his time with his adoptive family and half the time with the clan that sired him. As he woke up for the next day and steeled himself to face the next hunt, that dream drove him forward.

---

2AP - Command Nix - Migration

Over the years, the Nix have spread themselves thorughout the continent and returned to the crown. What cultural, economic and political effects this has had on the groups under each gods control is up to them. Nowadays, Nix live mainly in the crown once again, but can also be found around the crown and anywhere else in the world. However, the Nix are still more common to find near the crown, and their groups more populated.

1 AP - Nourish Nix

The Nix have been doing very well as a race and have thrived in numbers, mainly as a result of conquering their fears of the outside world and returning with various goods from the lands beyond the crown.

Nix Culture Entry

Religion

The Nix worship the primal spirits almost exclusively. They do not care much for the other gods, simply seeing them only as pawns to the Primal Spirits in the end. They do however, feel more strongly about the gods more connected to nature such as Pruinus and Leaf. Their more passionate attitude towards gods such as Leaf and Pruinus can differ and often occupy the two opposite ends of the extreme, either believing that they are faithful towards the Primal Spirits and act upon their will. The other extreme is that they usurp the Primal Spirits and use their power for their own gain. The Crown is divided into different clans who conform to one of the two viewpoints. The two different groups often debate and argue over the matter, but their differences never turn to violence. The Nix do not fight amongst themselves, as to an extent they trust nobody other then their own kind.

Nix Jobs/Roles

Around the age of 15, a Nix is given a role within the clan based on their talents. Nix do not normally seek or train for one of these jobs. They simply wait and see what job is given to them. They believe the primal spirits decide what each talents and skills each Nix shall inherit, so they do not wish to be given any job, but gladly accept what is given to them.

Diet

The Nix are carnvious and eat meat exclusively. However, a strict set of rules exists defining what meat each nix can eat, as the majority of the animals they hunt and eat are the very animals that they descended from. Nix are generally allowed to eat any meat except that from the animal in which they descended. Bear Nix do not eat bear meat, Wolf Nix do not eat wolf meat and so on. It is also very poor manners to eat meat of another animal in front of a Nix who descended from that animal. For example, it is poor manners to eat the meat of Snow Leopards in the presence of a Snow Leopard Nix. This rule does have a contradiction however. Nix can hunt animals of their Origin and offer them to another as a gift. This is considered a great honour and it would be incredibly rude to not eat the meat in this case, as that would be an insult to the effort of the individual who went to hunt the animal and would mean the creature's death was meaningless.

At large festivals where meat of all kinds will be consumed by all kinds of Nix, a Representative from each Nix origin will stood and give a small speech that contains his/her permission for all the others to eat the meat of their ancestral animals.
The dwarven child ran towards his aunt, who scooped him up and held him tightly as the dwarves continued to watch the two dragons converse.

"  Nonsense.  We were all born in flame and fire, that is why our skin is red the color of-"  She trailed off...  "Your skin is not the color of fire.  I had thought it had been turned that color, but I gather from your words that you were born as you are now.  The humans say that once there were seven glowing orbs in the sky, and that one by one they were thrown to earth and lost forever, dimming the day into its current state.  Their descriptions of these 'Suns' match the orb that we were born from.  Perhaps you were born from another orb... which suggests that we may have more kin out there, borne out of the four other orbs that are lost.  That is an interesting idea.  You are Darkness to fight Darkness, we are Flame to Burn away Corruption.  What might our hypothetical kin be like?"

Morenth watched as the other dragon prepared to fly, and spoke before he could do so.

"I take it a moot is some sort of gathering of your brethren?  Perhaps I should attend, as I have seen these things first-hand."

Before the other dragon could reply, a small voice brought both heads swiveling down on long necks to stare at a regal-looking dwarf.

"I am Enel, King of Sil Arkoth.  Mighty ones, we are refugees, our home destroyed by Craterspawn and flowing fire.  You, who can fly, I beseech you.  Do you have word of a place of solitude that we may rebuild our people and our culture?"

Morenth tilted her head to regard the dwarf king.

"I know of no such place, Enel, King of Sil Arkoth.  But perhaps such a place could be made for you, in time."

~Above what was once the GodCrater~
Joran
 Hmph.  Ignore my sarcastic ribbing, fine!

But Zebus had gone.  Agni turned to face Ka'Vah.

It appears that we are alone, my Servant.  Now that we are not in peril, let us discuss terms of your employment.  I offer you the same terms I offered my Son, dissapointment though he turned out to be.  Come when I call, protect me when I am in need, and obey my direct orders, unless good reasons require you not to.  Break these terms, and you will know what it is to be flammable.  Beyond these, I free you to do what you wish in the world.  Do you find these terms acceptable?

~Chitrach Hive~

The Queen, Kr'Ree'A, towered over her subjects, her massive chitinous body easily ten times the size of the other females of her community.  She felt the legs of the males, the largest only a fifth as large as a standard female, climbing over her, picking out dust and debris from her joints as another wave followed behind with brushes and cloth to make her hardened shell shine brilliantly.  Kr'Ree'A looked down and to her left, where three of her children watched the males with careful eyes, monitoring them for desirable qualities for her next mate.  Her eyes then settled on her True Daughter, the only other fertile female in the nest.

«Mother»  The currently-just-slightly-larger-than-normal Chitrach chattered.    «I bring news from our scouts.  To the north, we have found other things.  Soft things.  They live in buildings above the earth.  What would you have us do?»

Kr'Ree'A settled to the ground of the audience cavern to consider.  Within moments, she spoke.

«My True Daughter, Kr'Ree'E, we must ensure that our nest is protected until we can grow in numbers and strength.  Send some females to meet with these squishy beings.  Find out their intentions, but under no circumstances are they to reveal our true location.»

~Human Settlement~

Life had returned to something approximating normal for the humans now that the ice had receeded.  Then, one day, the ground broke open and a pair of farmers found themselves surrounded by tall insects, each roughly seven feet tall and armed with sharp claws.

"Kr'ra'RErv'Rwad'Lrrrreeeeeee'fWeAeeellffff'Rwrraaaak!"  Said one of the bugs, which appeared to be a leader. 

Cantorix lifted his mammoth frame into the sky and hovered over the dwarves. A strong breeze caught the dwarves clothing like a banner on the field of battle. An edge of sunlight , like an otherworldly cloak, surrounded his silhouette.

"Perhaps there is such a place, not-spawn. The moot-"

Cantorix cut himself short. It might not be wise to disclose such information...
Small acidic fumes floated out from the myriad nooks in his toothy bite. He thought for a few seconds.

"Perhaps."

"And you, Crimson emissary, follow me. The Moot must have proof."

His leathery, battered wings surged with strength, propelling him above the very clouds. There, he turned towards the southern mountains and glided along a familiar path.

The Eclipse Aflame rose form his knees, and looked out to the world. It had been sometime since he had been here, and the smell of greenery in the air was... different. Starkly different compared to the scorching scent of sulfer and ash. It was enjoyable-no, it was euphoric! Not that he actually savored such organic scents, but to be so close to life so frail,so... flammable, was nearly enlightening. He had not felt this way since the battle at the Eternal Volcano. So many. So powerless. They fell before him like wheat to a scythe, and he promised himself that it would be so again one day.

"I accept."

It was a simple answer, but Ka'Vah was distracted. His thoughts turned inward, both at himself and at his distant ancestor.

"So then, Scorch, you have recieved what you wanted. Yes? We now serve a weak and absent god, who has left his people to die. Well, you do. I serve destruction. It will always be here, unlike you. And perhaps one day, smoke will choke out the fire that fathered it."

But it was more of an idle threat than anything else. Ka' Vah did not care for title and place. And while he would certainly be wary of Firstborn traitors, if they fed him along the way what did it matter? And Ka'Vah still despised the distant essence within itself. It was too... mortal, and much to dutiful. It had proven itself an enemy within.

Ka'Vah turned back to Agni, waiting. Azgo had kept him close, and that was what he had known.

My photo was found here.

Ever the white dragons searched. Their hatred of heat and Agni drove them south. Surely there was where the foul one rested.

The hatred that Artun had instilled in them at their moment of creation made it hard to think. It was so much easier to give into instinct, to hunt the fire, the false friend.

What false friend?

The white dragon shook its head. That had been a strange thought. Of course, Agni was the false friend.

By why was he false?

It seemed that the warmth brought some delirium. The dragon breathed as it flew, chilling the air around it, driving back the hateful heat.

Below, it saw two other large beasts. Dragons, but not. Perhaps they'd know where the faithless one could be found.

The white dragon descended, falling through the sky like a drunken rock that wasn't sure which way was down. It crashed past the dragon that had just tried to lift off, causing all sorts of turbulance for it, nearly shaking it from the sky.

The white dragon's tail coiled and cushioned the landing. It lacked legs, but the muscles of its underside made up for it. It didn't wish it had legs. Why would it? It had wings and a frost-bruning hatred of all things warm. What more could it desire? The beast slithered up to the meeting ground.

Warm... like that ugly reg thing.

The dragon swivled its cold-as-revenge head towards the large warm dragon-like thing and asked, "You, what are?"

~~~Elsewhere~~~

Seg had gone far to find privacy. This would be a delicate matter, and it wouldn't do to have others watching. He'd been safe before, probably, but one could never be too careful.

Satisfied that none was present, Seg tapped into the the source of power within him. It was like a thread that connected him to the master.

He pulled on that string, drawing power to himself, and he began to craft.

In front of him a new god began to form. There was it's head, there it's legs, and there...

Seg's hand darted forward, plunged into the half-born god's chest, and ripped out its heart. The husk of the stillborn god collapsed to the ground, forgotten.

The heart in Seg's hand, though, continued to beat. It was a divine essence that might have been, could have been, should have been. Seperated from its body, though, it began to fade as well. The god of lies threaded more of his master's powerinto it, preserving it, shaping it, giving it purpose.

He twisted the heart, changing it from flesh to crystal, making it eternal. But it was also hungry. It had no mind, but it wanted more power, more enegery. It wanted to complete the birth that it would never be possible.

Having done as the master commanded, Seg turned back towards the world itself. This tool needed to be put to work.

AP

5AP - Create Artifact: Heart of the Unborn God. This still-beating crystal heart is always hungry and will greedly eat anything willingly offered to it. However, because it's not natural, it also preserves perfectly anything it has eaten. If someone were to put AP into it, for example, that AP would remain across resets. It's difficult to take anything out of the heart, of course, but beings with sufficiently strong wills can do so, at the risk of potentially being drawn into the heart themselves.

0AP remaining
Morenth lifted her wings to follow, when suddenly another dragon, this one lean and quick and white as cursed-snow and... without legs?  Facinating... crashed to earth not far from them.  The dwarves took this as their cue to leave and scattered into the surrounding fields, leaving their belongings toppled and their animals braying in terror.

I am a dragon, obviously.  As are you, as is he."  Morenth patiently explained to the other one.  She looked up at Cantorix, who had just barely regained his composure.  "It looks like some of our kin found us." she said with a hint of amusement coloring her voice.

~The Sea~

Agni watched Ka'Vah for a few minutes as the smoke-being appeared to watch him.  

Well?       Agni said after a while.   Is there something else you are waiting for?  I think we are done here.  I will find you if I need you.

And Agni turned and left, flying over the deep ocean.  He looked down at the watery expanse.  How strange, how hostile of a substance it was.  Perhaps it, too, could be made flammable.  The god turned to face the surface.

Far below, the water began to boil as a white-hot point of fire appeared in the darkness.  The water roiled and bubbled, tumbling upwards but losing heat as it rose until it reached the surface as little more than a warm patch of water in an otherwise semi-warm tropical ocean.  Agni frowned and moved on a little before repeating his action, this time a little brighter, a little hotter.  Here, the water seemed hot, like a warm bath, but nothing dramatic.   Agni moved on.  A third bright point of light that boiled the ocean.  Here, at the surface, the water boiled gently, barely noticable over the background of waves and wind.   Agni frowned and moved on, this time pouring all his will into the light.

Magma welled up from beneath the earth and forced its way heavenward, sending plumes of superheated steam in all directions.  As the water receeded, a dark island could be seen menacingly squatting over still-boiling water.  

Agni  nodded to himself.  About time.  He looked up and spotted a familiar figure.

Seg...  He growled.

2 AP:  Command Water/Land:  Agni creates, deep in the ocean, a sucessive chain of underwater fires.  The first is hot enough to make the surface warm, the second makes it hot, the third causes the surface to boil... just barely.  The fourth is an actual island ringed with boiling water and wreathed in storms.

1 AP:  Nourish Ocean:  Each fire is a point-source that is exceedingly hot.  As a result, it causes all sorts of strange compounds to form in its vicinity.  These compounds are found to be very useful for  magic-users, as they amplify the effects of the soul-charged magic without further demand on the user's soul.

1 AP remains.
The journey through the spines of the mountain chain was an invigorating experience for the being-- for the first time, or so it thought, it felt free. It closed its eyes and felt the winds pass by as each beat of the creature's wings brought them closer towards the other side of the mountain chain. The being turned its head to face the other direction-- it noticed something... very strange. It was barely grazing the horizon's edge, but it could still make out a patch of gray-white clouds coming up from the sea.

Strange, it thought. The being motioned the creature towards the direction of the white cloud, and they whisked around a mountaind top and flew towards the direction of the strange plume of gas and clouds.

~Open Seas~
The being and the creature made a straight nose-dive into the ocean as they flew past the shore into open waters. For a few moments, they stayed underneath, replenishing themselves of their essence, before climbing their way out and onward towards the plume of white gas. At this point, the being noticed that there was something on the other side of the gas-- a lonely, solitary land mass. As they got closer, the air became gradually warmer, and soon they heard the hissing of the water as they neared the caustic boiling shoreline. The creature flew upwards next to the pillar of steam rising out from above the boiling water, and the air suddenly began to cool down. What would've caused this to happen?

The airmass began to swirl and stagnate, just like their last encounter with the dark, warm cloud earlier, only this time it didn't throw them off. The creature gently coasted along a breezy thermal, letting the cold moist air flutter by them as they absorbed some of the residual moisture. The being felt a strange presence, almost as if something was tugging on here. It felt like it was tugging down from below. The being looked down towards the island mass, but saw nothing amidst the thick gas plumes.

Currently active groups
I am DM'ing:
Currently playing in:

D&D Modern Worlds Haven

Happy building! ;)

After a few chaotic moments of confusion, Cantorix balanced himself in midair and all of his muscles tensed. Had that thing attempted to kill him?! He craned his neck to look upon this possible enemy, and swooped back towards its location. Even before he knew what it was, Cantorix was suryeving every inch of its flesh, how it had landed, and how it crawled. Brief visions clouded his sight. Images of broken wings and slashed draconic throats spun past his eyes as he predicted the possible flow of battle. He tried to shake off these distractions, and yet... should he?

His blood ran rampant in his veins, fighting a reluctant war against the practiced years of order he had been taught. He had been through too many suprises, too many revealations. To discover an entire new world, in the course of a day, let alone the same spot! The odds of it all... could he trust any of it? Had he been fooled?!

The crimson matron's words suddenly resurfaced... "you fool"...

And that... thing-that-crawled... It seemed eeirly similar to the Remorhaz. Winged, and the face was different, but it was similar in many respects. Old enemies, or new friends? Was there a difference?

He could see the crimson dragon speaking to him. He could not hear a word she was saying, but she seemed- could it be-amused? At it? At him? At their trap?!

Cantorix hovered, some would say loomed, over the pair. He was caught fastly between action and thought, bloodlust and control, hunted and hunter. He viewed them both with renewed suspicion and a tint of thickening anger.

My photo was found here.

The Primal Spirits had championed the Nix long ago as a race to stand against the Craterspawn and other unnatural abominations that stalk the world. Yet what they had in pure physical strength and finesse, they lacked the correct equipment. Should the abominations that hunt them evolve and grow stronger, the world's defenders may not be able to stand up to them anymore.

With that thought, the spirits began to ebb and flow together in the ground, the ground shaking ever so lately. You wouldn't notice it unless you pressed your ear to the floor and heard the soft rumble, so many didn't even notice such an occurrence.

As the ground rumbled softly, various cones and spikes of bluish-silver metal slowly raised themselves from the earth, pushing dirt and soil aside as they did.

Around the crown, these cones of metal were more blue then silver and felt cold to the touch, but the substances were still very similar. It wasn’t long before the various races begin to mine these new exotic metals and forge them into weapons and armour.

---

The biggest enemy of success is to think you have already succedded. When you stop aiming for improvement, you invite failure. Being a god, it was quite easy to think you were irrefutable and beyond mistake. Pruinus herself felt this at times, yet at other times she questioned how she could let such gigantic events escape her notice. Such as the fact that The Crown she had frozen, made a home for many creatures and spent most of her incredibly long existance was shadowed by sets of floating stones. She had seen the floating earth above the crown before, but it had failed to register in her mind as an anomaly. Various craters on the land suggested that the earth had ripped from the floor of the The Crown rather then created from nothing.

Why had she not noticed this?

Perhaps someone had feed her an illusion, altered he mind to never question the earth levitating above The Crown. Seg. His lies had not fooled him, but perhaps he did manage to hid some truth from her. And for too long.

Pruinus curiosity far overwhelmed her sense of caution. She willed herself to float amongst the clouds alongside the floating shards of Earth, to see what she may find there.

AP

2 AP – Create Metals

The Primal Spirits create new metals for the mortal races to make weapons with.

Mithril – Mithril is a sky blue metal ore found in various places on the original continent. When forged into metal, Mithril is famous for being incredibly light. Almost no strength is required for the use of Mithril weapons. A human toddler could easily lift and swing around a Mithril longsword with ease. Although that is not recommended, as Mithril is also incredibly sharp, softly placing one’s finger on the flat blade would draw blood.

Glaciril – Glaciril is sapphire blue metal found around and inside the crown. It requires an incredibly skilled smith to forge Glaciril into metal, as the temperatures of the forge need to be controlled so that the metal does not melt entirely. The effort is worth it though. In contrast to Mithril, Glaciril is incredibly heavy, requiring superhuman strength to lift a Glaciril weapon. As such, only few humans can boost of fighting effectively with a Glaciril weapon, the Nix and Dwarves far more suited to the task. Glaciril radiates and pulses cold from its being, freezing living tissue that comes into contact with it. As a glaciril sword tears through its victim, the flesh around the sword is frozen into frigid temperatures of around -350°F. Glaciril weapons are difficult to craft, as the handle and hilt must be made of a different metal for anyone to be able to safely use them.
-The West-

In the past, stories were told of the western wastes, how those who crossed the impossible badlands stumbled upon a divine forest. Sometimes, stories are true. The world remembered Leaf's old home.

AP

2AP: Create Plane - The Forgotten Forest. A demiplane connected to the western wastes. Usually mortals can't find it, but occasionally one will stumble in.

3AP Remaining

-The World-

A wind arose in the south. It was moist with the heat and water of the volcanic springs. The wind blew north, nourishing the southern meadows, causing them to spread over the mountains, with crops of trees sprouting up.

It blew east, spreading the savannah, breaking it up with jagged cliffs and forgotten valleys.

It blew north, expanding the forests and encasing the northernmost reaches in tundra, permafrost, and glaciers.

As always, there was not enough to blow west.

AP

2AP nourish north and south, spreading climates.

1AP command east, adding texture to the savannah
Had the Chitrach envoys been birthed in another time, another world, they would have, perhaps, had a gentler reception. As it was, however, they had approached a people who had seen their villages scourged by corrupt angels, their god killed by a monstrous blaze of fire, and survived the darkened shadows of first one, then many, suns. They had ground their teeth against blazing fire, biting winter, and the errant paragons of Pharos' power.

In short, the Chitrarchs did not 'just' surprise the Humans. They surprised a race that had spent the entirerty of its existence clinging to life. They had, wittingly or not, made the worst possible invitation to diplomacy, and the lack of common language only exacerbated the situation.

"Kr'ra'RErv'Rwad'Lrrrreeeeeee'fWeAeeellffff'Rwrraaaak!"  Said one of the bugs, which appeared to be a leader.

"Craterspawn!" cried out the farmers in terror.

The call brought farmhands running from everywhere at once, but the pair of humans the Chitrachs had hoped to greet dared not wait -- they knew exactly how vicious craterspawn could be, knew the craterspawn were faster, stronger, than the average human, and if escape was impossible, well, there was only one logical option for the farmhands to take - for if you were to die anyways, better to die fighting for your kin and kind.

The farmers charged, drawing knives and shortblades, and crying out in fury. There was no malice nor fear in their eyes, just grim concentration and a sort of resolute sadness.

~The Sanctuary~

With the sun (sort of) returned to the sky, The Skylanders had little need for The Beacon's direct light. Rather than suffer unending days of brilliant white light, they had constructed a shrine out of Chi and stone, to hide the Beacon's light. It was a mausoleum of immense size, and the center of Skylander culture. They interred their dead beneath the shielded sun, secure in the belief that the neverending rays from the Beacon would purify their dead, allowing them to join with the Divine Voice of the Wind, the Sssssssaaaaaaa that sang forth from their fields and between their islands.

But despite its significance, it was sparsely staffed, and so no one noticed when The Beacon began to hum with life and death. One form of scales and claws dropped to the Sanctuary's floor, then another and another. It was not until the next morning that the creatures were discovered -- great lizard-like beasts with wings instead of arms, and scales of deepest Azure.

~The Eastern Badlands~

Reality, once weakened, is not so easily forgotten. Above the sands, the world warped weirdly, fraying, and casting long shadows despite the blinding rays of desert suns.

AP
-2 AP Nourish Skylanders: Skylander culture improves as they continue to adapt to their unique situation. They do not have real "cities", but they manage to create large buildings like the Sanctuary (1 AP entirely devoted to this) and several monasteries.
-3 AP Create Artifact: The Quickening -- Above the eastern badlands, where the Vikari once deceived, the barrier between worlds grows thin. The region feels off, but there is nothing outwardly noticable about the area other than the Promise of something, somewhere, else.
-0 AP Create Populace: Azure Dragons. Azure dragons resemble White Dragons, but while the White Dragon lacks hindlegs, the Azure lacks forelegs. They do not breathe cones, but can rather spit gobs of volatile energy great distances, which then explode outwards in an area blast of force and sonic power.
Reset
Everyone stays at 5.

Map sometime when Toph gets his PC issues straightened out. Story another time.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
~~~Dragon Moot~~~

"You... are warm," the white dragon said. It didn't have a name. That took too much brainpower, and its overwhelming hatred of Agni didn't spare it any.

"The faithless is warm..."

The dragon took a deep breath, then proceeded to try to encase the red dragon in ice.

~~~The Sea~~~

Seg found it quite inconvenient that Agni had decided to appear right in his path, but he skirted around the unstable one as best he could. He had promised that he wouldn't come before Agni again unless the god asked him to. He wasn't going to break that just for logistics. If Agni wanted to talk, he'd have to approach Seg.

~~~The Godcrater~~~~

Altruis held his head, his vision weak. Whatever had happened to him had left him... changed.

There were impulses there that he had never had before, directing him, guiding him. He tried to ignore them, but in the same breath, he couldn't remember why it was that he should ignore them at all.

Undeath stumbled through the broken realm. There was power, here, and that, at least, remained the same. He wanted power.

Down into the broken halls he went. There were signs of a great battle. What had happened to this place.

Down further, until he came to a ruined room. He could feel it. There was... deliciousness under that rubble.

Still too weak from his ordeal to alter reality, Altruis instead took to moving boulders by hand. Soon, he had the Blood Crowned unburried. Zebus' sword was sticking in him, just asking for Altruis to pull it free.

~~~The Crown~~~

The giant eggsack pulsed, and something moved underneath it. Darkness was with the creature, darkness nursed it and helped it grown. Darkness put in it the fragmented aspect of the sun that Azgo had destroyed. There was use for these, yet.

Soon, the great creature would be ready to awaken.

~~~The Skymotes~~~

The earth moaned as Onus stretched. His mind had been clouded for so long, but now he felt stronger and more awake than he had in ages. He saw Pruinus head towards the sky, and he decided to follow.

Great stone wings reached out, covering valleys and more, and the god's mighty legs launched him up into the air after her.

~~~Somewhere~~~

Agni

Artun searched.

Agni

He'd have his revenge.

Agni

Fire would die.

Agni