Regaining Powers + Spellbook

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
When a Wizard with the Spellbook feature "regains" a power, does it need to be a power that was prepared that day? An example would be a Mage with Divine Miracle: is it possible to spend your last encounter power and get an encounter power that was in the spellbook but wasn't prepared that day?
No.  The spellbook only allows power-swaps during an extended rest.
No.  The spellbook only allows power-swaps during an extended rest.

I know that "you regain the use of a power" doesn't change what powers you have prepared. But I don't see why that would imply "You can only regain the use of powers you have prepared that day". Going by what it means to "regain" something in english, I'm inclined to say this doesn't work, but I'd like to know if this thing is covered somewhere in the rules.
In order to regain something you must first have lost it.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

I probably did use that power at some point if I got to the point where I can benefit from Divine Miracle.

On a more serious note:
If I , for example, use Steal Time as last encounter attack power and get back Impenetrable Gloom, I did "regain the use of an encounter attack power" by regaining Impenetrable Gloom, because before I had no encounter attack power to use and now I have one.

I know that this is a munchkin-mindset and can get cheesy, I do not intend to use this, I was just wondering whether or not the rules say this doesn't work.
Different scenario:
I use an encounter power from Tome of Readiness. Can I somehow get an additional use of that power?

I probably did use that power at some point if I got to the point where I can benefit from Divine Miracle.

On a more serious note:
If I , for example, use Steal Time as last encounter attack power and get back Impenetrable Gloom, I did "regain the use of an encounter attack power" by regaining Impenetrable Gloom, because before I had no encounter attack power to use and now I have one.

I know that this is a munchkin-mindset and can get cheesy, I do not intend to use this, I was just wondering whether or not the rules say this doesn't work.

You can't regain Impenetrable Gloom if you didn't expend it in the first place.  What you're looking for is more of a Power Swap

Different scenario:
I use an encounter power from Tome of Readiness. Can I somehow get an additional use of that power?

No, but something like Divine Miracle would allow you to regain the use the of encounter power which you expended in order to use your Tome of Readiness.