!FLUSH'S RANDOM STEAM 1V1 TOURNAMENT #3

212 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome to !Flush's (that's me) 3rd Tournament!  Sponsored by: MvdL / Eikeltje!

THE CHAMPION OF !FLUSH'S 3rd TOURNAMENT: !Flush
CHOSEN PRIZE: Monster Loves You!

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME ROUND
1:
!FLUSH -----> GP, SS, PK
nunezilla -----> GG, BR, ED

THE TOURNAMENT HAS ENDED!!!

PRIZE:  Thankyou MvdL/Eikeltje for an under $10 game to the winner of the tournament!  Players like this truly make OUR experiences better!  Thank you again!

Note:  I just want to encourage everyone to help eachother practice!  There's nothing better for competition than friendly encounters. ;)  Last tournament some of us would get together and play with and against the decks we are to face for eachother and it worked out great!  So don't hesitate to join and look someone up on the Steam The Planeswalking Dead Group for some practice!  We also have a lot of solidly good players and competitors in this competition, so if you are new, don't hesitate to ask for help!  Most of us don't bite...most... ;)

Daily Updates 03/22/2013!!  I will routinely erase the previous update every day (when I wake up and look on the board for the first time, anywhere from 7am-10am Eastern) to recap yesterday's wins and losses, etc.  We have our new Champion, you're truly, !Flush!

TIME SCALE UPDATE 03/22/2013:  Our Champion has arrived!  All hail me!  !Flush!

CLICK HERE TO VIEW CHALLONGE BRACKET

Tournament Start: 03/06/2013  Tournament End: 03/22/2013 

General Rules & Guidline:

I believe that a good player can play ANY deck vs. ANY deck and win (more times than not).  This is why I am running a random deck tournament.  To test who has the ultimate skills in DotP.  Each player will play vs. another player in a double elimination Challonge bracket, playing the best 2 out of 3 games.  As mentioned in the title, this is a ONE VS ONE tournament.

How do we know it is random?  I'll make sure it is, trust me, it is not hard.  If you do not trust me, do not sign up.  Before each match I will randomly pick THREE decks from the entire deck pool, this includes ALL Expansions and ALL Deck Packs currently available at the time the tournament begins.  If you do not, or cannot, have all decks available please do not sign up for the tournament.  No one will use the same deck within each match, although both opponents CAN end up with some of the same decks. For example, !Flush vs. Anon: !Flush can have GG, Anon can have GG, but neither one can have GG "twice".

To add a twist to this random deck element, out of the 3 decks randomly chosen, you choose which decks to play when.  Once a deck is chosen, it cannot be played again for the rest of the games within that match.  Let me explain in a little greater detail below:

Its me (!Flush on Steam) vs. Anon.

For !Flush the random decks he has access to include: GG, AoW, & RG.

For Anon the random decks he/she has access to include: PK, AW, & BR.  Decks randomly chosen for each player will be listed on the forums, updated in this original post as we move along.  Which decks the player chooses when will only be known when the match begins (outside a 3rd match if it is played, as there will be only 1 deck left to choose from).

!Flush and Anon play the best 2 out of 3 to see who wins.

!Flush & Anon can choose any of the 3 decks that they randomly received.  Say for the first round !Flush chooses AoW and Anon chooses PK.

Since I'm !Flush...We'll say I win the first round :P.  Each player now plays a 2nd round.  !Flush now has GG and RG to choose from.  Anon now has AW and BR to choose from.

We will say !Flush picks RG, Anon picks AW.

If !Flush wins, it is 2-0 and he won the match, on to the next opponent.  If he loses, a 3rd round is now the deciding and final round in who moves on and who ends up in the loser bracket or eliminated if this is their 2nd loss.  Now the only option left for !Flush is GG while Anon will be using his/her last option with BR.  After !Fush and Anon play, their next games will be with a new set of 3 randomly chosen decks against their new opponents.  Unless it was someone's second loss, then they are gone for good.

Please, if you have no extra time, do not sign to participate and have only one or 2 days with one or 2 hours of availabilty.  If one or 2 people continually hold up everyone else they may be asked to concede the tournament.  Hopefully this does not happen.  Just try to be considerate of others and complete matches in a timely fashion.  If this will likely be a problem, then please refrain from joining.

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF TOURNAMENT PLAYERS:
Show
I will update the list as more people sign up.

minddrifter -----> !Flush
dh50 -----> dh50
Kangermu -----> Kangermu
You_Spoony_Bard -----> Kupo Trooper
xXmulteyemeteorXx -----> multeyemeteor
Nunezilla -----> nunezilla
Mastergear_Owen -----> Garren_Windspear
Balisalisa -----> Riddickulose
Yosiel -----> Yosiel *
MvdL -----> Eikeltje
Grunthex -----> Grunthex
slappywhite -----> slappywhite
Sidecutte -----> Sidecutte
d3s -----> d3ss
testacount -----> loukoumas
True_Believe_02 ----->  Yxanthymir

Players will be crossed out as they are eliminated.

When signing up please list the following:  The name you appear as on Steam, your timezone, and the best available hours for you to play.  It should look something like this:

Steam name: !Flush
Timezone: Eastern Standard/-500 GMT/UTC
Best Available Hours: 8am-8pm: All day every day.

Note:  GMT and UTC timezones are the same thing in case anyone is confused.

PLEASE JOIN Flush's 1v1 Random DotP Tournaments group on Steam to be able to better communicate with other players via Steam as well as on this Forum.  After each tournament I will drop all current members and have all the members of the new tournament join.

PLEASE POST wins and losses in bold red font and be clear and consise. It should look like this: !Flush defeats Anon 2-1.  

Decks will be released in the following order:  Winner's Bracket Round 1Loser's Bracket Round 1Winner's Bracket Round 2Loser's Bracket Round 2Loser's Bracket Round 3Winner's Bracket Round 3Loser's Bracket Round 4, Loser's Bracket Round 5, Winner's Bracket Round 4, Loser's Bracket Round 6, Championship Game 1, Championship Game 2 (if needed).

Abbreviations for decks: CL = Celestial Light, BoF = Born of Flame, PI = Pack Instinct, DP = Dream Puppets, GG = Goblin Gangland, OD = Obedient Dead, PK = Peacekeepers, ED = Exalted Darkness, AW = Ancient Wilds, CW = Crosswinds,
AS = Aura Servants, SS = Sepulchral Strength, MS = Mindstorms, GM = Grinning Malice, CM = Collective Might,
AoW = Act of War, RG = Rogues' Gallery, MM = Mana Mastery, BR = Berserkers Rage, GP = Grim Procession,
SaS = Sky and Scale.

The following decks are being used in the tournament (this will update as we move along):

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR WINNER'S BRACKET ROUND 1 (A-H):
Show

dh50 -----> GP, SS, PI
Yxanthymir -----> SS, PK, GG

Yosiel * -----> MM, SS, ED
d3ss -----> DP, BoF, SS

slappywhite -----> ED, MM, PK
Sidecutte -----> AoW, DP, MM

!Flush -----> MM, RG, MS
Eikeltje -----> SaS, BR, GG

Kupo Trooper -----> SS, CL, OD
Kangermu -----> SS, SaS, MM

Riddickulose -----> DP, CL, CW
Grunthex -----> CM, AS, BoF

nunezilla -----> SaS, GM, PK
multeyemeteor -----> PI, CW, SaS

loukoumas07 -----> PI, CW, GG
Garren_Windspear -----> RG, ED, AoW

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR LOSER'S BRACKET ROUND 1 (R-U):
Show

Riddickulose -----> OD, GP, PI
Kangermu -----> GP, BoF, PI

loukoumas07 -----> GG, PI, CM
multeyemeteor -----> PK, CW, AW

Yosiel * -----> AS, CL, AoW
dh50 -----> GG, CM, GM

Eikeltje -----> MS, ED, GM
slappywhite -----> OD, BoF, CW

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR WINNER'S BRACKET ROUND 2 (I-L):
Show

Yxanthymir -----> SaS, AoW, GP
d3ss -----> BR, SS, DP

Sidecutte -----> PI, AS, ED
!Flush -----> CL, SaS, PK

Kupo Trooper -----> CM, RG, DP
Grunthex -----> SS, BR, AW

nunezilla -----> GG, ED, PI
Garren_Windspear -----> AoW, SS, SaS

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR LOSER'S BRACKET ROUND 2 (V-Y):
Show

d3ss -----> BoF, AS, MM
Riddickulose -----> BR, CL, GM

Sidecutte -----> AW, RG, SaS
loukoumas -----> CW, ED, GP

Kupo Trooper -----> PK, CM, SS
dh50 -----> PI, RG, GP

Garren_Windspear -----> CL, CW, MS
slappywhite -----> ED, GP, AoW

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR WINNER'S BRACKET ROUND 3 (M & N):
Show

Yxanthymir -----> GG, CM, MM
!Flush -----> BoF, GM, RG

Grunthex -----> DP, AoW, PK
nunezilla -----> GG, CL, GP

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR LOSER'S BRACKET ROUND 3 (Z & AA):
Show

d3ss -----> CW, BoF, AS
loukoumas -----> MM, PK, OD

Kupo Trooper -----> GP, RG, AW
Garren_Windspear -----> MS, SS, OD

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR LOSER'S BRACKET ROUND 4 (AB & AC):
Show

Grunthex -----> GM, MM, GP
d3ss -----> SS, GM, PI

Yxanthymir -----> MM, RG, BoF
Garren_Windspear -----> GG, PI, PK

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR WINNER'S BRACKET ROUND 4 (O):
Show

!Flush -----> CW, SaS, MM
nunezilla -----> BR, SaS, AS

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR LOSER'S BRACKET ROUND 5 (AD):
Show

Grunthex, aka Stripper In A Cake -----> RG, PI, GP
Garren_Windspear, Supreme Ruler of Fantasy Land (playing just for fun due to "auto-win" passive ability) -> AoW, GP, GM

CLICK TO VIEW LIST OF DECKS AND PLAYERS FOR LOSER'S BRACKET ROUND 6 (AE):
Show

nunezilla ----> BR, MM, CL
Garren_Windspear ----> SaS, DP, GG

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Sign me up me!

Steam name: !Flush
Timezone: Eastern Standard/-500 GMT
Best Available Hours: 8am-8pm: All day every day.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

I'm in -
Steam name: dh50
Time zone: Eastern Standard/-500 GMT
Available hours: evenings are best but I have a pretty flexible schedule the next two weeks so I can probably accomodate someone who is less flexible. 

This was a blast the last couple of times Flush did this and I encourage everyone to sign up. 
What the heck.....I'll join in....school has kept me wicked busy, but some diversion will be fun.

Steam name: Kangermu
Time zone: CST (GMT -6)
Available Hours: Pretty much any day after 6 EST until 1 EST, with some days being able to sneak on during the day if the kid and wife are cooperative. 
Oooooooh yeah, had a feeling this was comin'.

Sign me up please!

Steam name: Kupo Trooper
Time Zone: GMT
Available Hours: Hmm, all day/night on the weekends but on weekdays I work from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm so preferably late afternoon/evening GMT.

"I've never been happier to say thethe wordth...Let the random rosther racthe begin!!!"
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
About time someone got us back on track! =)

Steam name: multeyemeteor
Timezone: UTC+1
Available Hours: I'll work my way around it.
Hi, I'd like to sign up... I'm new to the forums but not new to the game.

Steam name: nunezilla
Timezone: Pacific Standard
Available Hours: Pretty much anytime on the weekends and after 7pm on weekdays.

EDIT: I can also be available 7am-8am most weekday mornings if that works better for some people. 
It's been a while sinse the last tourney. Sign me up !Flush.

Steam Name: Garren_Windspear
Timezone: GMT
Available Hours: Almost all weekdays from about 23.30 onwards (so about mid-afternoon in America if I have my times zones right). Also Saturdays at almost any hour.

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

Let's try this one. 

Steam Name: Yxanthymir
Timezone: -3:00 GMT
Available Hours: Tuesday and Wednesday 21:00 - 23:00, Thursday 15:00 - 23:00, and Sunday All day. These are the guaranteed times. 
We are barely a couple days in and we already have half the slots filled up!  If you want to join this tournament then you better do so soon!

As I mentioned before, if you do not have the time, or only a couple hours on a couple days, DO NOT JOIN.  If something comes up before the tournament starts that will not allow you to have as much time as you thought, you can still un-register for the tournament so as not to have to concede mid-way through.  That's never fun for anyone involved!

I plan on starting the tournament as soon as the slots are filled up!  As always, I will give the start some extra time for people to get going. 

steam name: Riddickulose
Timezone: EST
Availability:  usually on 10-4pm EST or as needed at night.

Steam name: Yosiel ★
Timezone: (GMT -03:00)
Available Hours: Late at night would be the best

Do you use another sites like challonge.com to settle the pairings or this is all done on your end and in the OP?
I like to rig things to where I win.

Lol, j/k j/k.  I use Challonge brackets and at the beginning I throw everyone's name in and then a "randomize" the pairings from the beginning.  Where you see the "Link to Brackets here soon" is where I will have the Challonge brackets links once I am able to make it.  After that people are thrown into loser's and winner's brackets depending on results.  So who plays who is 100% random and based on results of matches.

If anyone sees this and has doubts, because they don't think they're good enough, or don't want to get into a serious tournament, sign up now! The people are great, friendly, and even though this has a prize, it's hardly "srs bsns." Sign up and give it a try...I knocked out two heavy weights my first time in (sorry guys!). So sign up, give it a try, and you won't regret it. 
Steam Name: Eikeltje
Timezone: UTC-5
 Available Hours: Week days - Nightly between 7pm and 10pm local time, Weekends, flexible between 8am and 5pm

I'll contribute a steam game under $10 for the winner. 
Thanks for the sponsorship MvdL!  That is awesome!!  I can't wait to get this tournament going!  Only 5 slots left!  At this rate we will be starting this bad boy up in no time!  I'm sure this will be the best tournament ever!  Just like the next one and the one before this one. ;P

I have been advised that my participation is mandatory.  Plus, I need revenge.  Someone make weasel sign up, I still owe him some!

Steam Name: Grunthex
Availability: Almost any time.  Fridays are bad.  Would prefer afternoon/evening/late night matches, Mountain time.  But will adapt!

Expected result: Pain and suffering.
That's a good question Grunt...I don't think I've seen weasel since I been back.

hey! still room?

Steam name: slappywhite

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time
Available Hours: noon-6 am, whenever
There certainly is slappy!  Only 3 slots left now!  Get 'em while their hot!

Steam Name: Sidecutte
Time Zone: GMT + 2
Available Hours: Tue-Fri 12:00-18:00
Sorry to inform, but I have to quit.

I lost all my data, so I have to unlock all decks again. Yell 
Argh, that really sucks True!!!  Thanks for letting me know though, gl with the unlocking (I've been there before myself!)

I lost all my data, so I have to unlock all decks again.  

Been there. Steam was incredibly useless in getting my data back, just blaming the customer (i.e. me). But I'm a sucker I guess. I just bought the unlocks.
A quick google or search of Steam forums will come up with a save file that contains all the completed decks, that's what I did.

Oh and for the love of glop, turn cloud syncing for this game OFF.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
I will be very happy to participate in this.

Steam Name: d3sdinova
Time Zone: GMT + 2 (EET)
Available Hours: Weekdays 18:00-03:00 EET + Weekends 24h
I may have to purchase 2014 on Steam, rather than Xbox. It seems the community for events like this is pretty good and I'd love to participate.

Le sigh.

The more, the merrier!

I don't think there's one right now, but Steam is pretty good about putting games like Magic 2013 on sale from time to time. 
I agree Hakeem, Steam does seem to have more players/be more active (I wish they would just make cross-platform but oh well).  IIRC, everything was 50% off for DotP 2013 for the Holiday Sale.  So you could buy everything for about $15 if it does go on sale again.

Hopefully I can get 2 more people to join soon so we can get this tourney going soon!

msg Wizards_Sean...he might be able to give you the unlocks for free like I got.  But still, I back up my whole 97330 folder in the steam\userdata\*\ to a USB drive
i would like to participate too!

steam name:loukoumas07
timezone:UTC/GMT +2 hours -EET
availble hours:Weekdays:12:00-22:00 - Weekends: 24h

Check your direct messages.

I agree Hakeem, Steam does seem to have more players/be more active (I wish they would just make cross-platform but oh well).  IIRC, everything was 50% off for DotP 2013 for the Holiday Sale.  So you could buy everything for about $15 if it does go on sale again.

Hopefully I can get 2 more people to join soon so we can get this tourney going soon!

According to the top post, you're looking for one more. I'll play! But only if True_Believer still can't make it. I'd rather he got a spot. Please discuss between yourselves first and let me know.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Sean, since you're here, what are the chances of players who own the game on platform A getting a discount to purchase/unlock the game on platform B in order to play against some other people? I'd gladly buy the base game twice if my unlock progress carried over to another platform, or the keys were discounted.

Just a random thought as I troll the thread.... 
Awesome Sean, I'll talk to True and see where he is at.  If he is not game then I'll throw you in there.  Thanks for the reply and help Sean!

Sean, since you're here,

I'm always here! There are just times when I don't have a response.

what are the chances of players who own the game on platform A getting a discount to purchase/unlock the game on platform B in order to play against some other people? I'd gladly buy the base game twice if my unlock progress carried over to another platform, or the keys were discounted.

Just a random thought as I troll the thread.... 

This is one of those times!

(I personally like the basic idea but there are no plans on WotC's part to run what you described.)

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

I appreciate the response, thanks. Perhaps if you put the bug in the ear of the right person, it could come to pass in the future. One never knows!
Ok I used the solution proposed to me. And now I'm good to go.
Alright!!  We finally have all of our participants signed up and ready to go!  Give me about 20-30 min from now tomake a bracket and roll up some decks and we will be going full steam ahead!!

Alright!!  We finally have all of our participants signed up and ready to go!  Give me about 20-30 min from now tomake a bracket and roll up some decks and we will be going full steam ahead!!

Cool. I assume we'll use the steam friends thing to start the matches? I joined the steam group, but it's 'too many members to show'...
As an aside, this is one of those times I really wished there was a 'watch a match' option.
''Spectator Mode''.
Wonder where I've heard that before?
:-p

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster