Colorless vs. has no color

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there any distinction between the two (or does one of those terms even exist)? This came up last night when we were discussing lands and spells that could affect colorless permanents.

If there is a distinction, we were also curious when it would be relevant.
Cannot be relied upon^
There is no distinction.
An object that has no color is colorless.  As far as I can tell, there's no distinct difference between the two phrases:

"[This object] is colorless" and "[This object] has no color"

Though, I don't think "has no color" is a term that actually gets used, if I recall correctly.

Oh, wait, the Comprehensive Rules uses the phrase!

105.2c A colorless object has no color.

there is no difference
if an object has no color or an effect says it has no color it is colorless, simple as that
proud member of the 2011 community team
This is an odd question because "has no color" isn't used on any cards, and the only place it's used in the rules is as the very definition of colorless.
105.2c A colorless object has no color.

There is no distinction.

(Oops, Kenjiblade more or less said the same thing while I was researching.)
Fully cleared up. Thanks.
Cannot be relied upon^
I don't think this is a source of confusion for anyone, but there are times when people refer to generic mana costs as "colorless mana costs" which is somewhat of a misnomer, because you are not required to use colorless mana to pay such costs.  You can use mana of any color to cast, say, Mind Stone for example.

So in that sense, you might have heard "colorless mana cost" and interpreted it to mean "mana that is not of any specific color, but may be any color, or colorless".

106.1b There are six types of mana: white, blue, black, red, green, and colorless.

Clearly not what the question was about, since I mentioned colorless permanents and spells.

Can we all just stop needlessly complicating our answers in an effort to pat ourselves on the back for feeling smart?
Cannot be relied upon^
Think you pulled the conversation that way when you mentioned colorless and lands in the same sentence....but I digress. (Pat Pat Pat)
I think we can all agree lands are (usually) colorless permanents and let this die.
Cannot be relied upon^