High Points of Each Edition

For many of us, D&D has been a hobby for a very long time. Some would even claim that it has surpassed the "hobby" status and is more of a passion or an obsession. We pour over rules, discuss, debate (and argue endlessly), and critique every facet of the game.

For those with multiple-edition experience, what about the editions you've played made them fun for you? Was it just the rules? The fluff? The entire package?

I would like to see how folks rate the various editions by using a 1-5 scoring system, 1 being bad, 5 being great. I'll compile the numbers after several posts, and we'll see what we end up with by picking the highest numbers from each category.

I'll start, so everyone will see what I'm going for. Call it a impromptu social experiment...

SYSTEM:........PC Mechanics........DM Mechanics.......Settings..........Fluff.........Balance   
OD&D...................1....................................1......................2..................1.............2
BECMI..................2....................................2......................3..................3.............2
AD&D 1E..............3....................................3.......................3.................3.............3
AD&D 2E..............3....................................3.......................5.................5.............4
D&D 3.X...............4....................................3.......................3.................4.............3
4E..........................5....................................5.......................2.................2.............5

So, using only my numbers, the D&D game that would suit me best would be made using:

PC mechanics of 4E
DM mechanics of 4E
Settings of 2E
Fluff of 2E
Balance of 4E

EDIT: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't use this thread to edition war. Don't bash anyone's choices or preferences. No one is wrong in this little experiment. If you don't agree with what someone chooses, please keep it to yourself. I'm sure very few will agree with my choices, but they are mine and no amount of bickering will change my opinion.
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft

Rather than good/bad, my numbers are like/dislike. The items in question might be perfectly good, but not what I like.

System:........PC Mechanics.........DM Mechanics.........Settings..........Fluff.........Balance   
AD&D 1E..............4.................................4.......................4.................4................3
AD&D 2E..............5.................................5.......................5.................5................3
D&D 3.X...............3.................................3.......................3.................4................3
4E........................1.................................2.......................1.................2................3
5E........................5.................................5.......................?.................4................4

For me, balance isn't important. The mechanics of 2nd, being expanded from 1st, were quite flexible and we could make any sort of character we wanted. Yes, I know 5e isn't finished yet, but I'm basing the numbers on what I've seen so far.

PC Mechanics: 5e
DM Mechanics: 5e
Settings: 2e
Fluff: 2e
Balance: 5e

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

System:........PC Mechanics.....DM Mechanics........Settings.......Fluff......Balance    
AD&D 1E..............4.................................4.......................4.................4................4
AD&D 2E..............5.................................5.......................5.................5................4
D&D 3.X...............?.................................?.......................?.................?................?
4E........................2.................................2.......................1.................3................1
D&DNext..............5.................................5.......................?.................4................4

I never played 3.X, so I didn't put any values in for it.
I've never had a problem with balance; and I didn't like 4th Edition's attempt to fix that problem.
I also included values for what I think of D&DNext, so far. 

PC Mechanics: 5e
DM Mechanics: 5e
Balance: 5e

Just on the few responses we have so far:

System................PC Mechanics........DM Mechanics........Settings........Fluff.......Balance
OD&D...........................1...........................1..............................2.................1..............2
BECMI..........................2...........................2..............................3..................3.............2
AD&D 1E......................11.........................11...........................11................11...........10
AD&D 2E......................13.........................13...........................15................15...........11
D&D 3.X........................7...........................6.............................6..................8.............6
D&D 4E.........................8...........................9.............................4..................7.............9
D&DN...........................10.........................10............................0..................8.............8

At the moment, 2E-style D&D is winning out.
I'd second Father Dagon's votes exactly.
Interesting. Here are my votes, based on what I've played.

SYSTEM:........PC Mechanics........DM Mechanics.......Settings..........Fluff.........Balance   

AD&D 2E..............2....................................5.......................4.................5.............2
D&D 3.X...............4....................................4.......................3.................4.............3
4E........................5....................................1.......................5.................2.............5
5E........................3....................................3.......................?.................3.............4

It looks like my ideal game would have:

PC mechanics of 4E
DM mechanics of 2E
Settings of 4E
Fluff of 2E
Balance of 4E

It looks like I'm about evenly split between 4E and 2E, so is it any wonder that my favorite edition is 3E?

The metagame is not the game.

OD&D...................1....................................1......................2..................1.............2
BECMI..................2....................................2......................4..................3.............2
AD&D 1E..............3....................................3.......................3.................3.............3
AD&D 2E..............3....................................3.......................5.................5.............4
D&D 3.X...............4....................................4.......................3.................4.............3
4E..........................1....................................1.......................2.................2.............3
5Next ..................4.....................................4.......................?..................?.............2

SYSTEM
PC
Mechanics
DM
Mechanics
SettingsFluffBalance
OD&D22134
BECMI32234
AD&D 1E33243
AD&D 2E22532
D&D 3.X22431
D&D 4E45325
D&D 5En/an/an/an/an/a

System:........PC Mechanics.....DM Mechanics........Settings.......Fluff......Balance    
AD&D 1E..............2.................................2.......................3.................3................2*
AD&D 2E..............3.................................3.......................5.................5................3
D&D 3.X...............4.................................1.......................3**.............3................1
4E........................5.................................5.......................3***...........3................5
D&DNext..............2.................................2.......................?.................?................?

PC Mechanics: 4e
DM Mechanics: 4e
Balance: 4e

* in 1E I liked the mechanics better after Unearthed Arcana from an interesting standpoint but it skewed the balance somewhat.
**Eberron was cool enough but the already bloated Forgotten Realms got unbearable as a setting in 3E. 
***4E did what needed to be done in the Forgotten Realms, blow that mess up and give us rooom to work again while re-creating actual "Forgotten" parts.
Only rating systems that I have played for over a year:
AD&D 2E................2.............................1.....................3...................x................4
D&D 3.X.................2.............................1.....................4...................x................3
4E..........................4.............................5.....................3...................x................5

So, using only my numbers, the D&D game that would suit me best would be made using:

PC mechanics of 4E
DM mechanics of 4E
Settings of 3E
Fluff of (I don't understand what the "fluff" of an edition is, seperate from setting)
Balance of 4E

Notes:
I consider the PC mechanics for 2E to include Players Options; otherwise the mechanics would have been a 1.
I honestly have never used a non-homebrew setting until the Eberron setting in D&D; since then I've ventured into Dark Sun, which I should give credit due to 2E for that setting. 4E Eberron was much less fleshed out than 3.5; I still reference my 3.5 Eberron books for fluff matters often.

Supporting an edition you like does not make you an edition warrior. Demanding that everybody else support your edition makes you an edition warrior.

Why do I like 13th Age? Because I like D&D: http://magbonch.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/first-impressions-13th-age/

AzoriusGuildmage- "I think that you simply spent so long playing it, especially in your formative years with the hobby, that you've long since rationalized or houseruled away its oddities, and set it in your mind as the standard for what is and isn't reasonable in an rpg."

System PC Mechanics DM Mechanics Settings Fluff Balance
4e 4 3 5 5 5
I do not played any other launched edition (D&DNext doesn't count) for time enough but if I do I will post here.
@blacksheepcannibal: I was going by "Settings" to mean the individual campaign settings (Dark Sun, FR, etc.), and "Fluff" to mean such things as the Blood War, Cosmology (Great Wheel / World Axis), default pantheon, and so on...non-setting-specific bits of fluff.

\and "Fluff" to mean such things as the Blood War, Cosmology (Great Wheel / World Axis), default pantheon, and so on...non-setting-specific bits of fluff.

Must be why I didn't understand. I have always used my own setting, cosmology, and pantheon, for literally as long as I can recall DMing (admittedly a very long time) and never really paid attention to any of that stuff until Eberron came along and was way more awesome than anything I was home-brewing.

Supporting an edition you like does not make you an edition warrior. Demanding that everybody else support your edition makes you an edition warrior.

Why do I like 13th Age? Because I like D&D: http://magbonch.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/first-impressions-13th-age/

AzoriusGuildmage- "I think that you simply spent so long playing it, especially in your formative years with the hobby, that you've long since rationalized or houseruled away its oddities, and set it in your mind as the standard for what is and isn't reasonable in an rpg."

SYSTEM:PC MechanicsDM MechanicsSettingsFluffBalance
BECMI22312
1E32323
2E43544
3E54453
4E45235

BECMI was an interesting experiment and had great bits scattered here and there but quality was erratic. Excellent bits would be scattered next to terrible ones. 1E was much the same but the worst of the basic mechanics where cleaned up. 2e then built on 1e, polishing up the better parts.

3e was the first radical diversion. Greatly improved flexibility in character design opened up a lot of options but also more ways to break game balance. The high level spell casters where fundamentally broken because a lot of the 2e restrictions where removed but nothing was changed to counter balance it.

4e started by gutting everything and hard wiring a fundamentally balanced system into the game. This makes a game that is very good for what it does, but isn't as generally interesting or fun as 3e. 4e's settings problems come from the problems converting 2e/3e settings to 4e and the lack of a good new setting for 4e. The point of light world is a good generic background, but it is barely enough for a simple campaign and the game would have benefited by getting something more at some point.

Okay...the current tally is (before JayM's post, that is):

System................PC Mechanics........DM Mechanics........Settings........Fluff.......Balance
OD&D...........................5...........................5.................................7.................6..............10
BECMI..........................9...........................8................................12................12.............10
AD&D 1E......................22.........................22..............................22................24...........21
AD&D 2E......................28.........................30..............................42................38...........30
D&D 3.X.......................27..........................21.............................26................26.............19
D&D 4E........................44..........................34..............................27...............23.............42
D&DN...........................19.........................19...............................0.................15.............14

So, that leaves us with the following game:

PC mechanics of 4E
DM mechanics of 4E
Settings of 2E
Fluff of 2E
Balance of 4E

Interesting.

I find it particularly interesting that DDN beats out both OD&D and BECMI in PC mechanics, DM mechanics, fluff, and balance.
You're missing one incredibly important metric: Combat Mechanics.

Also, I'm with blacksheepcannibal, I don't use the default cosmology, so for me the "Fluff" column gauges how easy it was to refluff stuff, with negative markes for fluff baked-in to the mechanics.

System:........PC Mechanics…....DM Mechanics......Settings.......Re-Fluff......Balance.....Combat Mechanics
2e...........................2...........................?........................4..................2.................2.......................2
3.x..........................3...........................1.........................2..................3.................1.......................3
4e...........................5...........................5........................4..................5.................5.......................4
Current Packet.......4...........................4........................?..................3.................3.......................4

2e DM Mechanics: I don't remember much about DMing 2e, it was a long time ago.  I think I fudged a lot of numbers and rolls.

5e Settings: Not much to go on here.  I don't like Forgotten Realms, so I'll just have to wait and see what they do with other settings.

So it looks like I'm at:
PC Mechanics of 4e
DM Mechanics of 4e
Settings of 2e and 4e (Ravenloft and Dark Sun)
Fluff I come up with my own damn self (4e was easiest to re-fluff everything)
Balance of 4e
Combat Mechanics a mix of 4e and Next (because I like tactical combat and all but a quick, gridless fight can be so refreshing)

That all seems about right. 

"I want 'punch magic in the face' to be a maneuver." -- wrecan

OD&D...................-....................................-......................-..................-.............-
AD&D 1E..............2....................................2.......................4.................5.............3
BECMI..................2....................................3.......................5.................4.............2
AD&D 2E..............3....................................3.......................4.................4.............4
D&D 3.X...............2....................................4.......................3.................3.............2
4E.........................2....................................4.......................1.................1.............4

PC mechanics of 2E
DM mechanics of 3E
Settings of BECMI
Fluff of 1E
Balance of 2E

Also, I'm with blacksheepcannibal, I don't use the default cosmology, so for me the "Fluff" column gauges how easy it was to refluff stuff, with negative markes for fluff baked-in to the mechanics.

I was approaching it from the opposite direction. I prefer for mechanics to flow naturally from the fluff, so I gave 2E high marks for being fluff-grounded and I gave 4E low marks for the disparity between the fluff and its mechanical representation.

The metagame is not the game.

@Father-Dagon

I think this thread will generate some interesting information but you just can't add the numbers together. It's unblanced in favor of the editions that get most voted on, for example not voting for 4e due to a lack of experience (while voting on others), is very different from giving 4e all 0s but that is what adding the numbers together does, you need to average them and count ?s as non votes.

For my votes I only have experience with 3.5, 4th, and 5e so I am only going to weigh in on those:
System:........PC Mechanics…....DM Mechanics......Settings.......Fluff......Balance.....Combat Mechanics 3.x..........................4...........................3........................?..................4.................2.......................4 4e...........................2...........................3........................?..................3.................4.......................3 
Current Packet.......4...........................4........................?..................3.................3.......................4

I was approaching it from the opposite direction. I prefer for mechanics to flow naturally from the fluff, so I gave 2E high marks for being fluff-grounded and I gave 4E low marks for the disparity between the fluff and its mechanical representation.

4e isnt without fault, but I suspect we're thinking of different aspects of the fluff-mechanics relationship.   For instance, giving each race a dozen little fiddly bonuses and penalties just makes my job more difficult if I want to reflavor that race into something else.  The "starkness" of some things (like races) in 4e initially alarmed me, but I found that it was what I never knew I'd always wanted.  For me, that was one of the biggest boons of 4e, cutting down on the bloat of fluffy-mechanics, which led to fewer factors to track and greater flexibility in flavoring.

@Father-Dagon

I think this thread will generate some interesting information but you just can't add the numbers together. It's unblanced in favor of the editions that get most voted on, for example not voting for 4e due to a lack of experience (while voting on others), is very different from giving 4e all 0s but that is what adding the numbers together does, you need to average them and count ?s as non votes.

Not that this is an official poll of any kind, or that the information gleaned from it will really amount to anything, but when I get time I'll average the scores out instead.
System:........PC Mechanics…....DM Mechanics......Settings............Fluff......Balance
BECMI..................3..........................5.......................3.................2.............4
AD&D 2E..............3..........................5.......................5.................5.............3
D&D 3.X...............4..........................4.......................3.................3.............2
4E........................2..........................1.......................2.................2.............4

my ideal game would have:

PC mechanics of 3E
DM mechanics of 2E
Settings of 2E
Fluff of 2E
Balance of 4E

A mix of 2e's general feeling, with the logic introduced in 3e (positive maths and such) but without 3e's overly complicated sub-systems and general lack of coherence at high level
Try radiance RPG. A complete D20 game that supports fantasy and steampunk. Download the FREE PDF here: http://www.radiancerpg.com
OD&D...................2....................................2......................3.................2.............1
AD&D 1E..............2....................................2.......................4.................5.............3
BECMI..................2....................................3.......................4.................4.............2
AD&D 2E..............3....................................3.......................5.................5.............3
D&D 3.X...............5....................................4.......................3.................4.............3
4E.........................2....................................3.......................2.................1.............4

So for me I guess it woulld be
PC Mechanics - 3.X
DM Mechanics - 3.X
Settings - 2nd
Fluff - 2nd
Balance - 4e 
PC Mechanics   DM Mechanics   Settings   Fluff   Balance
BECMI        2                   3                    3          3         3
1E              3                   2                    4          4         2
2E              3                   2                    2          3         3
3E              *(0/4)            1                   5           2         0
4E              5                    4                   4          5          5 

some comments:

I actually break from tradition and rank 2E as the low point for settings, as I really wasn't terribly impressed with any of them. I gave 4E a 4 for its cosmology and PoLand more than the specific settings themselves, and I rank 3E as tops for Eberron, a setting that goes completely against my tastes but that I have the utmost respect for. Eberron is more successful at being a compelling Eberron than any other D&D setting is successful at delivering on its promise. I also more or less hate FR equally in all editions except 1E, which is why I gave 1E a 4.

I gave 3E two scores on PC mechanics, a 4 for concept and a 0 for implementation. 

I really do prefer 4E's kitchen sink fluff, with honorable mention to 1E's heavy metal aesthetic.
...whatever

SYSTEM
PC
Mechanics
DM
Mechanics
SettingsFluffBalance
OD&Dn/an/an/an/an/a
BECMIn/an/an/an/an/a
AD&D 1En/an/an/an/an/a
AD&D 2E22542
D&D 3.X21431
D&D 4E343*24
D&D 5E**n/an/an/an/an/a

*But, I give it a 5 for its fluff treatment of Eberron and Dark Sun!
** But, so far, I like it more than anything else; I just don't feel comfortable giving it a rating until after we see a finished product.  

pc mechanics     dm mechanics    settings      fluff     balance

od&d                      2                            3                        3            2          3

becmi                      4                           4                        4            3          4

1st edition              3                           4                        4             3         4

2nd edition             5                           4                        5             4         4

3rd edtiton             3                           3                        3             2         3

4th edition              2                           3                        1             2         2

5th edition              2                           2                        1             1          2

i think second editon was the best all around one i know towards the end to make money for tsr they really flooeded the market but there were some real gems in there and its the most playable editon they made so far and the easiest to pickup and play will little prep
Okay...recalculated using an average based on the number of posters.

System.............PC Mechanics........DM Mechanics...............Settings........Fluff.......Balance
OD&D.........................0.3.........................0.3.........................0.4................0.4.............0.5
BECMI........................1.2.........................1.4.........................1.7................1.4.............1.4
AD&D 1E....................1.8.........................1.7..........................2.1................2.2............1.8
AD&D 2E....................2.8.........................2.8............................4.................3.6.............2.8
D&D 3.X......................3.1........................2.6..........................2.9................2.8.............1.9
D&D 4E.......................3.2........................3.4..........................2.4................2.5.............4.1
D&DN..........................1.6........................1.6..........................0.05................1.............1.2

Based on what we have so far....

PC Mechanics: 4E
DM Mechanics: 4E
Settings: 2E
Fluff: 2E
Balance: 4E
Father-Dagon, I don't think averaging is going to help your numbers here. I'm gonna suggest taking each poster's response, subtracting 3 from each score, and then you'll have a more accurate total for each measured response. That way assuming all non-response portions are 0s doesn't hurt your survey.

SystemPC MechanicsDM MechanicsSettings
/ Fluff
BalanceImmersion!
AD&D 2E12Homebrew
(1 Alignment Great Wheel)
D&D 3E2
(4 Expanded Psionic)
1Homebrew12
D&D 4E443
(5 Heroes of Feywild,
Eberron,
Manual of Planes)
Father-Dagon, I don't think averaging is going to help your numbers here. I'm gonna suggest taking each poster's response, subtracting 3 from each score, and then you'll have a more accurate total for each measured response. That way assuming all non-response portions are 0s doesn't hurt your survey.

Actually, he just needs to only count responses.  Non-responses should not effect the average.

So for example if 1e has been rated in balance by 4 people, the average balance rating for 1e is sum/4, whereas if 7 people have rated  3.x for settings, the average settings rating for 3.x is sum/7.

SystemPC MechanicsDM MechanicsSettingsFluffBalance
AD&D 1E22333
AD&D 2E33532
AD&D S&P22111
D&D 3.044443
D&D 3.555454
D&D 4E23335

Actually, he just needs to only count responses.  Non-responses should not effect the average.

So for example if 1e has been rated in balance by 4 people, the average balance rating for 1e is sum/4, whereas if 7 people have rated  3.x for settings, the average settings rating for 3.x is sum/7.

I know, but it looked from the way he worded that post that, to me at least, he was just averaging everything on the one number of surveys he'd gotten so far, which -would- create a hefty effect on the no-responses. If he didn't, my bad. xD
SYSTEM.........PC MECHANICS..........DM MECHANICS.........SETTINGS......FLUFF....BALANCE

BEMCI..............3..................................4..................................2.....................3.............3

1st Ed..............2...................................3..................................3.....................4.............3

2nd Ed.............4...................................4..................................5.....................5.............3

3.5 Ed..............4...................................2..................................3.....................2.............2

4th Ed..............3...................................4..................................1.....................1.............4

Looks like my ideal would be:

PC Mechanics: a combination of 2e & 3.5
DM Mechanics: a combo of BEMCI, 2e & 4e
Balance: 4e

For the record, it's not that 4e's settings were bad, just LACKING. I would have preferred more than three settings.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

SYSTEM:PC MechanicsDM MechanicsSettingsFluffBalance
BECMI34223
1E34443
2E35553
3E51422
4E43215

Well I've never played 1e or sooner and my only experiences with 2e were PC games...I LOVED kits and hope that the devs add them in more of a grant at any time "template" in 5e but stuff like THACO,etc. was ridiculous, 3rd edition I played late high school (around 01'?) and I've been playing 4e since shortly after its release (and 5e since the second packet)

AD&D 1E..............N/A...................N/A........................N/A..............N/A.............N/A
AD&D 2E..............3.......................N/A..........................5.................5...............N/A
D&D 3.X...............3.........................1............................2.................2................0 or 5
4E........................4........................5.............................1.................1................5
D&DNext..............5.........................5............................N/A.................5................4

Note: Both 4e and 5e loose point in fluff...3.xe got alot of stats,etc. wrong..namely standard gnomes not being +Int...as for 4e the name changes ie. Aasimar -> Diva?? as for setting stuff like Dark Sun, Ebberon,etc. just weren't fleshed out enough to be special like in any edition before it. Balance in 3.5 was a funny thing if you played with the right group it rocked...if you got a power gamer or two with charcarters sheets looking like this "6/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/2/1/2" than it got ridiculous some house ruling on multiclass rules relieved this (removing xp penalty, limiting amount of classes that could be taken, Making PrEs more like a membership as opposed to actual class levels) so in short the multi-classing was awesome but could easil;y be ruined.

IMO 4e's shining glory is its ease of use making my campaign takes a fraction of the time it used to and IMO makes it alot easeir to free style with quick mob and npc creation...same on the player side. Its biggest fallback was the fact thats its mega restricted 

So in short give me the accesability and ease of play from 4e, the flexibility of 3e, the story/fluff of 2e (plus a few choice mechanics) and lastly balance...do your best...doesnt have to be perfect a la 4e just make it reletively close...and remeber not all balance can be drawn from a math equation.

Oh and currently DnD Next is making good progress I love the skills are handled...3e cleric domains mixed w/ 4e-like WOP healing actually has me enjoying a cleric (arcanist domain :D) it obvouisly is no where near done but combat enciunters are so much faster and well designed...although we'll like still use 4e blast instead of 3.5 cones (ie. burning handsa) for simplicity sake

AD&D 1E45433
AD&D 2E45534
AD&D S&P
D&D 3.023432
D&D 3.522222
D&D 4E11411

Thanks for the formating, it helpped......
Stole some formatting. Here's my opinion (but I don't know what S&P is):

AD&D 1E22342
AD&D 2E33442
D&D 3.045453
D&D 3.555553
D&D 4E3135
D&D Next55TBATBA3

4E was the most balanced game ever, but they accomplished that by giving everyone the same mechanics, and I hated that, so a 5 for balance, a 0 for PC mechanics.
Stole some formatting. Here's my opinion (but I don't know what S&P is):

I'm assuming they're referring to 2E's Skills and Powers book from the collection of Player's Options books released late in 2E's run.

It's inevitable that whenever someone posts a poll or the like, people will add things to it along the way, such as S&P and DDN. I very intentionally did not include either of those in the OP, as the Player's Options books were part of 2E, and DDN does not yet have enough material to make a properly informed decision on (and the material we do have changes from packet to packet). The same reason I didn't break BECMI down into its individual parts, list Unearthed Arcana seperate from 1E, or make 3E and 3.5 seperate entries.

BECMI23233
AD&D 1E23343
AD&D 2E34443
D&D 3.543552
D&D 4E12222
D&D Next54114

Yes, I've played all of these.

AD&D 1E45555
AD&D 2E55555
D&D 3.522333
Pathfinder RPG33333
D&D 4E14111
D&D 5E1 (became fistfull-o-dice ed.)5??1

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

BECMI23233
AD&D 1E13243
AD&D 2E34554
D&D 3.543332
D&D 4E24115
D&D Next35114

Stealing this table and adding my own numbers

Basically 2nd ed for fluff, good balance, mechanics not great. 3rd ed interesting classes, decent mechanics, very poor balance, 4th ed great to DM, great balance, very poor fluff, not very interesting PC mechanics.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Sign In to post comments