[Encounters DMs Only] Need Some Advice After Session One

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So in one of our runnings of D&D Encounters, two of the PC's decided the best way to explore Hommel Lane was by breaking into the Lord's Keep in broad daylight.  After fighting the guards, and only escaping due to the use of a magic spell, they went to the Inn of the Golden Grain to lie low.

The DM in question would like to run the Golden Grain path now (which I agree seems sensible) and after pursuing that have them arrested by the Constible as they leave the dungeon triumphant, and only be set free on the owrd of the people they rescue from the Reptile God. 

Honestly that sounds good to me, but I was wondering if any of the other DMs hereabouts had any other interesting ideas of what could be done here.  I personally think arresting the two louts, putting them in stocks for an evening's entertainment sounds about right but hey the show must go on. 

So suggestions?

Oh and if it matters, this was a 4E running.
Since the Constable is pretty shady already, you could have him join the fight in the inn with the intent to arrest them (after all, I'm sure the guards knew they weren't from the town and would check the inn first). This would make the Golden Grain Inn encounter much more difficult, which the players kind of deserve. If they still prevail, they'll feel pretty good about themselves. If they are defeated, the Constable can take a bribe from the Reptile Cultists to let them take the adventurers to the spirit naga.

You could then fashion a skill challenge escape scenario for the next session, have them take on the Reptile God, and then follow that session with the purging of the the Temple of the law bringer.
Heya, 
I am new at DMing 4e D&D  and the Encounters. Can I ask you a question about how to run the Moathouse event.

What can you do if the players go to the "backdoor" thru the hole in the leader's room? Do you have the leader run out of the room and try to get the players to chase her into the upper courtyard and do the combat there? Or do you roleplay the leader in her room and have a possible fight with her there and her friends come in to save her? Or do you change it around and have the Dwarf there and the leader and her archers in the lower courtyard tower?
I would run it so that if the PCs are very sneaky and careful, not drawing attention to themselves and not triggering "certain things" as they enter, they should have a shot at surprising Enda alone in her room. She would certainly shout for help and try to get out of the room if posible, and the others would come assist her as quickly as they could, but the PCs would definitely have her at a disadvantage.

Remember though that the bandits are alert, and any combat outside the moathouse with the local fauna alerts them, and there is an excellent chance that all the bandits would quickly learn of the PCs' approach if "certain things" are not seen as the PCs try to sneak in through the cracks.

Thanks for running Encounters!
I could be wrong but were there not alchemicial traps placed in the Moathouse's gaps just in case PCs decide to do the obvious thing.
I could be wrong but were there not alchemicial traps placed in the Moathouse's gaps just in case PCs decide to do the obvious thing.

smerwin29 was trying to avoid spoilers.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

smerwin29 was trying to avoid spoilers.

But... the thread title says "DMs Only"! Surely no player would come in here!

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Grifford's Protection cleric domain, gojirra's (Un)Death cleric domain.

General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

Thanks for the Advice. Here is a very quick run down of my game.

Half of my table decided to kill the Frogs before they went anywhere near the keep. The Frogs croaked and then they croaked for their last time. LOL.

Then had 1 PC go thru the "backdoor" & 1 PC go thru the "side door". Both set off the traps & alert them even more. Had another PC climb on top of the keep, over the forbidden room. Had the last 3 walk thru the front door. 

Then "Chaos" ensued.

About half the party was blooded but they killed everyone except for the leader. She hid in her room for the fight then begged for her life when it was all said and done.

Thank you for your help,

~Rob H.
I had three players 'captured' during the moathouse battle. Sticking them in the Temple of the Reptile God would keep their players Idle for at least one whole session, so I am thinking I am going to stick them under the Temple of the Lawgiver cells awaiting transport--where the other players can rescue them during the fight. I considered putting them under the Tavern, but I think that the Temple makes more sense--do you agree?
I had three players 'captured' during the moathouse battle. Sticking them in the Temple of the Reptile God would keep their players Idle for at least one whole session, so I am thinking I am going to stick them under the Temple of the Lawgiver cells awaiting transport--where the other players can rescue them during the fight. I considered putting them under the Tavern, but I think that the Temple makes more sense--do you agree?

Would it be better to have them under the moathouse in the dungeon with Lareth? So the active Players can save them sooner. (The active PCs are going there next right?)
Or have the captured ones break free and be there to help the others?
Or have them in Lareth's room with Lareth, maybe he is bleeding them out, they lose a healing surge or 2.
Or they are tied up with the supplies and have to have a PC untie them or they can try to ubtie themselves.

Are the players of the captured PCs playing different/new PCs until they get the orginal PCs back? How fun is that?

~Rob H.
> Would it be better to have them under the moathouse in the dungeon with Lareth?
This is what I did. Made it very easy and smooth. Video of it is online--the players did not even try to sneak & just went straight combat...made any hand waving I had thought I would need rather irrelevent...

> How fun is that?
Agreed--and a lot of my concern--I had two players that were mostly 'waiting to be freed' for the first hour--did not hear any comlaints, but I was worried about that.