What Mugging Should Have Been

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I've been kind of in a financial rut lately, and haven't been able to spend as much on Magic as I have in the past. Point being, I don't have a whole bunch of Gatecrash cards yet.

But for some reason, I thought the card Mugging did something very different than what it does. And I'm not sure when I got confused on what it does, or why I thought it did what I thought it did (yay for overusage of vagueness).

So, what Mugging does, for those who are too lazy to hover over the autocard I did above, is that it deals 2 damage to a creature, and then that creature can't block that turn. And it's a sorcery for . Following is what I thought it did until I actually opened the card in a booster pack (slightly changing the name, of course) :

Mug
Sorcery
~ deals 2 damage to target player. That player discards a card at random.

I honestly think this would've been better than dealing 2 to a creature and keeping it from blocking, but that's just me.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Mugging was designed for Boros battalion decks in limited which are just trying to attack with everyone every turn till the opponent is dead and don't want any blockers in the way. It's got nice versatility so it can be used by midrange decks instead to try and kill the boros creatures to keep themselves alive. Your card doesn't fit in mono red and is overpowered.

I honestly think this would've been better than dealing 2 to a creature and keeping it from blocking, but that's just me.

It would have been rare.
Mugging is exactly what it needed to be.

No, it could have been an instant.
Your card doesn't fit in mono red and is overpowered.

Forced attacks don't fit in monoblue either, but you see cards with the ability because of flavor. How is losing a piece of your mind/sanity due to a severe beating not flavorfully red?

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)

After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Forced attacks don't fit in monoblue either, but you see cards with the ability because of flavor. How is losing a piece of your mind/sanity due to a severe beating not flavorfully red?

But wait. Green can give severe beatings too... as can white! And blue can surely deliver mental attacks... discard in all five colours? Well the flavour fits... But of course, it's not about the flavour. It's about the colour pie.
Edacade, you didn't really think they'd print a Resounding Scream for one, in red, and add two damage, surely?

No, it could have been an instant.

Nah, it needs to encourage players to play it differently than Shock. Using it to get through your big Gruul guy or make difficult battalion attack is what this card is for. Making it a sorcery is a beautifully elegant way to make the 'can't block' clause relevant.
But of course, it's not about the flavour. It's about the colour pie.

What good is a pie without flavor?

Doesn't matter, I hate pie.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

random is as random does in the draw from the deck
a card is a card is an inverted cantrip - Cliff Notetaker
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

But of course, it's not about the flavour. It's about the colour pie.

What good is a pie without flavor?

Doesn't matter, I hate pie.

I can tell.

But wait. Green can give severe beatings too... as can white! And blue can surely deliver mental attacks... discard in all five colours? Well the flavour fits... But of course, it's not about the flavour. It's about the colour pie.

Worse yet, picture green Pestilence. Why not? All infections are simply a case of germs overpopulating in your body.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments