Couple of casting questions

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, A couple of questions re. casting spells.

1. For permanents like Angel's Feather am I right in thinking that "cast a spell" refers to the act of paying the spells costs and putting it on the stack? So if I cast RandomSpell will I end up with RandomSpell at the bottom of the stack and the Angel's Feather ability on top of it on the stack?

2. When I cast a spell and it's on the stack, where is the physical card? When does it leave my hand and when does it go into the graveyard (for instants or sorceries), and where is it in the meantime?

Thanks for your help

1. Yes (though the card is added to the stack before costs are payed, and there are other steps in between), and yes.

2. It needs to be seen by the other players. In my limited experience, it's usually placed directly onto the pile of cards that are in your graveyard. It can be taken out if that placement was premature.
re 2. So if I cast RandomSpell and put it on the stack, can someone then respond with an instant like Beckon Apparition targetting my RandomSpell in my graveyard and exile the card before RandomSpell resolves?

No, for the game the card is on the stack from the time is is cast until the spell resolves or is countered. It doesn't matter where the physical card is placed when you play. Most people I know, show it to the opponent and then put it into the yard (this is proposing a shortcut really, where the player proposes the game advances to the point where the spell has resolved, but there is no obligation for the opponent to accept this shortcut), or they place it on the table, where the battlefield is, and put it into the yard, once it resolves. But for the game, the card is on the stack.
aha, thanks. So the stack is a zone just like hand, library, battlefield etc?
Yes

400.1. A zone is a place where objects can be during a game. There are normally seven zones: library, hand, battlefield, graveyard, stack, exile, and command. Some older cards also use the ante zone. Each player has his or her own library, hand, and graveyard. The other zones are shared by all players.
I usually put spells in the "skirmish zone" (not an actual zone), that is in the middle of the battlefield between our creatures, especially when playing against a deck that might have counterspells

if it is targetted I usually put it on the permanent it targets
proud member of the 2011 community team
Same here.  When I cast a spell I show it to my opponent and generally tough the end of it on the table, or it's targets if it is targetted.  If my opponent has a response I lay the spell down 'on the stack', otherwise I move it directly to the battlefield/graveyard without ever letting it go.  I find this the easiest way to do things without having to move backwards and forwards with things every time I cast.

Cheers
aha, thanks. So the stack is a zone just like hand, library, battlefield etc?

When I teach the game to newbies, I place a closed shoebox in the center of the table so all players can actually see and use it as the Stack: we play spells by placing our cards on top of the box. I also use post-it papernotes so even abilities and spell-copies can be physically placed on the Stack.

Rules 602.2a and 603.3: (...) That ability is created on the stack as an object that’s not a card. It becomes the topmost object on the stack. It has the text of the ability that created it, and no other characteristics. (...) The ability remains on the stack until it’s countered, it resolves, or an effect moves it elsewhere.

re 2. So if I cast RandomSpell and put it on the stack, can someone then respond with an instant like Beckon Apparition targetting my RandomSpell in my graveyard and exile the card before RandomSpell resolves?

The card is on the stack, so how can you target it in the graveyard?

You asked what to do with the physical card. I said to put it in the pile of physical cards that's your graveyard, and to take it out if someone ends up wanting to cast something in response to the spell.

The card, though, doesn't leave the stack until it is countered or it is resolved.