Hi everyone, this is my first time trying any tread ever so please bare with me I'll get better.On to the good part now. My friends and I are developing a new Monk class that so far seems to be going pretty good for me. My idea so I have to test it,

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone, this is my first time trying any tread ever so please bare with me I'll get better.

On to the good part now. My friends and I are developing a new Monk class that so far seems to be going pretty good for me. My idea so I have to test it, lol. We call it the Crushing Ocean Monk. It's based in mostly grapples, subitions and ground and pound. I started it as a human just to get a base line for it, but some of the powers for it might be a little on the hack side. I am bias so I want to know what the community thinks of it. Here are the powers:

Butterfly Slam                                                                       Monk Feature

Your enemy’s first mistake was to strike at you and with a heavy grab

and deft lift you send him crashing to the ground with a hard slam.

At-Will*Psionic

Free Action                            Melee Touch

Trigger: Attacker strikes you

Target: Attacking creature

Attack: Dex vs. Reflex

Hit: You grab and slam target to the ground, and able to make a

basic melee attack.

Instant Stand

AT-Will*Psionic

Minor Action

Effect: You stand up instantly.

Nerve Touch: Level 1                                                           Monk Feature

A man is only as strong as the pain he can endure.

At-Will*Psionic

Attack Technique

Standard Action                 Melee touch

Target: One creature

Attack: Dexterity vs. Will

Hit:1d8 + Strength Modifier, on-going damage 2 and target takes a -2 to all attacks

until save.

Stunning Touch: level 11                                                      Monk Feature

With a subtle strike your opponent loses his ability to move.

Encounter*Psionic

Attack Technique

Standard Action                             Melee touch

Hit: 2d8 + Strength modifier damage and target is stunned until save.

Special: On save target takes -4 to all Attacks for 3 rounds.

Paralyzing Touch: level 21                                                   Monk Feature

Your devastating strike has caused your enemy to fall unconscious.

Encounter*Psionic

Attack Technique

Standard Action                             Melee touch

Hit: 3d8 + Strength Modifier damage and target is paralyzed until save.

Special: On save target takes -6 to all Attacks for 4 rounds.

POWERS

Rolling Tide                                                               Monk Attack 1

With a deft movement you flip your enemy over you and land upon him in

the perfect position to dispatch him.

At-Will* Full Discipline, Implement, Psionic

Attack Technique

Standard Action                                         Melee touch

Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex

Hit: 2d4 + Strength modifier damage and you throw target prone to adjacent

square with you on top. If target has made an opportunity attack against you

during this turn, the target takes extra damage = to your Wisdom modifier.

Level 21: 2d8 + Strength modifier damage

Special: May use in place of basic melee attack

The Persistent Ocean                                                            Monk Attack 1

Like the ever moving ocean your strikes crash upon you enemy sending him into a

retreat, but his movement only sets him into another one of your attacks.

Attack Technique

Standard Action                                         Melee touch

Hit: 1d4 + Strength modifier, target is knocked back 1 square and you shift into

target’s square.

Special: As long as the target is adjacent to you, you can continue the attack as a minor

Action. Target takes -3 to attack until it breaks free.

The Boar Push Strike                                                           Monk Attack 1

Like the charging boar you push your opponent into a worse position.

Encounter*Full Discipline, Implement, Psionic

Attack Technique

Hit: 1D10 + Strength modifier target is pushed back 2 squares.

Killer Whale Tail Strike                                                       Monk Attack 1

With the skill of the Killer whale you isolate your target for the kill.

Daily*Implement, Psionic

Attack Technique

Standard Technique                                              Close burst 1

Target: All enemies in burst

Hit: 2D10 + Strength modifier damage

Effect: Each enemy in burst is pushed back a number of squares equal to

1 + Wisdom modifier

Slow Fall                                                                                Monk Utility 2

Utility

Movement

Effect: Half damage to all falling damage from any height.

Tell me what you all think of it and we did try to balance it as best as we could. Also I have a martial arts base in Hawaiian Lua and I wanted to make a monk that also has the base. this is what we came up with. 

Thanks 

My friends and I are developing a new Monk class that so far seems to be going pretty good for me. My idea so I have to test it, lol. We call it the Crushing Ocean Monk. It's based in mostly grapples, subitions and ground and pound. I started it as a human just to get a base line for it, but some of the powers for it might be a little on the hack side. I am bias so I want to know what the community thinks of it. Here are the powers:

Butterfly Slam                                                                       Monk Feature
Your enemy’s first mistake was to strike at you and with a heavy grab
and deft lift you send him crashing to the ground with a hard slam.
At-Will*Psionic
Free Action                            Melee Touch
Trigger: Attacker strikes you
Target: Attacking creature
Attack: Dex vs. Reflex
Hit: You grab and slam target to the ground, and able to make a
basic melee attack.

At-will off turn MBA? and... prone too? (hard to tell) free action, not Immediate?
WAY overpowered. You can slam and attack every creature that attacks you (or is it only on a hit? "Strikes" isn't usually a term used in powers.) Either way, that's far more attacks than the average character is going to be making. Especially considering you are giving the monks a power that can be used as a MBA later on...

Instant Stand

AT-Will*Psionic
Minor Action
Effect: You stand up instantly.

This one isn't too bad. It's about the same as having the Acrobatics Boots...

Nerve Touch: Level 1                                                           Monk Feature
A man is only as strong as the pain he can endure.
At-Will*Psionic
Attack Technique
   Standard Action                 Melee touch
   Hit:1d8 + Strength Modifier, on-going damage 2 and target takes a -2 to all attacks
      until save.

Stunning Touch: level 11                                                      Monk Feature
With a subtle strike your opponent loses his ability to move.
Encounter*Psionic
Attack Technique
   Standard Action                             Melee touch
   Hit: 2d8 + Strength modifier damage and target is stunned until save.
Special: On save target takes -4 to all Attacks for 3 rounds.

Paralyzing Touch: level 21                                                   Monk Feature
Your devastating strike has caused your enemy to fall unconscious.
Encounter*Psionic
Attack Technique
   Standard Action                             Melee touch
   Hit: 3d8 + Strength Modifier damage and target is paralyzed until save.
Special: On save target takes -6 to all Attacks for 4 rounds.

This type of thing looks like it would be better made into a paragon path. The at-will for ongoing and an attack penalty seems a bit over-powered to me. Perhaps change it to the AP feature at level 11, which should allow you to increase the ongoing damage and just have the effects as a rider on whatever attack the player uses for their AP. Also, your special lines would typically be written as After Effect: and they should be save ends rather than having a preset number of rounds attached to them. Also, also: You should probably switch imobilized and stun so that immobilized happens at 11 and Stun happens at 20, more in line with the effect's level as Stun utterly denies turns and is not as often seen in a PC power.
POWERS
Rolling Tide                                                               Monk Attack 1
With a deft movement you flip your enemy over you and land upon him in
the perfect position to dispatch him.
Attack Technique
   Standard Action                                         Melee touch
   Hit: 2d4 + Strength modifier damage and you throw target prone to adjacent
      square with you on top. If target has made an opportunity attack against you
     during this turn, the target takes extra damage = to your Wisdom modifier.
      Level 21: 2d8 + Strength modifier damage
Special: May use in place of basic melee attack

I'm not aware of any other monk power that can be used as a MBA, but I'm not an expert on the current monk powers either. I don't think monks should be given one of these. The extra damage you have listed should probably be a rider tagged on for those monks who have chosen this particular style, rather than for every monk. A better way to handle the rest of the effect would probably to be a simple prone and grab combo, as entering an enemy's square is almost never done while they are concious. I can't tell if you intend there to be forced movement or not, but I would drop that if there was. Prone by itself is quite powerful for an at-will power. Very few other classes can pull it off, Bladesinger is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

The Persistent Ocean                                                            Monk Attack 1
Like the ever moving ocean your strikes crash upon you enemy sending him into a
retreat, but his movement only sets him into another one of your attacks.
Attack Technique
   Hit: 1d4 + Strength modifier, target is knocked back 1 square and you shift into
      target’s square.
Special: As long as the target is adjacent to you, you can continue the attack as a minor
      Action. Target takes -3 to attack until it breaks free.

This power is fine, until you get to the Special. extra attack as a minor action for as long as you can remain next to your target is a bit overpowered, even if it is 1d4 and secondary ability mod damage. I might allow the attack to be repeated once, on the trigger: If the target ends it's turn adjacent to you instead. It is an at-will after all. The -3 until it breaks free makes no sense, as nothing has ahold of it. A simple -2 for one turn is more in line for an at-will, but would probably be too much if you intend to keep the extra attack on top of it.

The Boar Push Strike                                                           Monk Attack 1
Like the charging boar you push your opponent into a worse position.
Encounter*Full Discipline, Implement, Psionic
Attack Technique
   Hit: 1D10 + Strength modifier target is pushed back 2 squares.

nothing majorly wrong with this one, but perhaps the push could be increased, maybe with a rider for those who choose this style of monk it becomes 1+ Str/Wis mod? Perhaps allow it to be used with a charge as well?

Killer Whale Tail Strike                                                       Monk Attack 1
With the skill of the Killer whale you isolate your target for the kill.
Daily*Implement, Psionic
Attack Technique
   Standard Technique                                              Close burst 1
   Target: All enemies in burst
   Hit: 2D10 + Strength modifier damage
   Effect: Each enemy in burst is pushed back a number of squares equal to
      1 + Wisdom modifier

This one seems fine.

Slow Fall                                                                                Monk Utility 2
Utility
Movement
Effect: Half damage to all falling damage from any height.

as does this one...

Tell me what you all think of it and we did try to balance it as best as we could. Also I have a martial arts base in Hawaiian Lua and I wanted to make a monk that also has the base. this is what we came up with.

The other gripes I'd have is that A) The full discipline powers don't have movement options like they should. That may be due to you not having them fully fleshed out, but I'm not sure. (Perhaps the move action could be allowing the character to make grab attacks for some of the powers?) and B) it doesn't follow the expected feature flow for a typical monk. Typically, this would include a defensive bonus along the lines of +1 to WD or FD, and a Flurry of Blows power. (There's also a fire resist or a reduced forced move that are both defensive bonuses for other styles as examples.) Seems like Instant Stand would be your "defensive bonus" and Butterfly Slam would be your "Flurry of Blows" but it could use a little rework to make that more obvoius. A Flurry of Blows power that triggers off of someone attacking you instead of the other way around would be interesting, but might be tough to use in certain situations (Solo monster with a defender type scenario). If you want to use it for that, I'd have it be auto damage like the other FoB powers and then give it a minor rider, like forced movement or a grab. Also, I'd put the trigger as an enemy attacks you, then add a special that it could only be used once per round, perhaps increasing the number of uses as you level, since you would not be able to increase the number of targets like the other monk powers do.
Reading your comments and trying my monk out last week we descovered some of the fatal flaws that you have brought up and we are still trying to flesh it out. Thanks for the sugestion and we will use them to try to rework this monk. We were trying to design it as a bad ass grappler, but looks like we got a little carried away, lol. You're right about the "Butterfly Slam" it is expose to replace the monks normal FoB, but we have decided that it is only triggered on a hit. Still will take damage, but the triggering creature is still going to get slammed for all it's trouble. 

We did design a +2 defense bonus for  the monk and put it on Reflex. As we develope him more I will post more on here. 

With the "Persistent Ocean" it's limited to only 3 attack per round with it, but found how much of a hack it was even against a young dragon so against something less powerful it will destroy most anything. So we are reworking that and will be in the new update, but we are still trying to represent "MMA Ground and Pound" with it so changing it is going to be more difficult, but it still must be not as much of a uber power as it is also.

The "Rolling Tide" was to be used as a supplement to a charge, because of the lack of movement attacks that other monks enjoyed, but when you can slam a creature one size catagory larger than you it becomes really cool, but more hack than not. Where other monks get the "Flying Kick" of doom and are able to gain an extra 2 movement for it, this doesn't give you the extra 2 squares, but allows you slam an opponent. So that's is a little give and take, but you're right it should have a rider for this discipline.

The Never Strike also should be riders for this monk, because agian it is based on Hawaiian Lua and in it there are nerve strikes, but if it needs to go then we will improve on it, I'm half way thinking of make this monk into a prestige class. He might make more sense that way, but we will see.

Thanks again for the feed back and I'll be sure to post more on my monk as he is updated.
Sign In to post comments