Animated Dead Spell on 4ed

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, trying to make a Necromancer on Essentials, but my fav "Animate Dead" spell is missing; its there any version of this spell on 4ed core or essentials? Where are my skeletons? any help please : /
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Sorry to say but the pure Necromancer is no longer a class option (or even PP if I remember correctly)

There are some Necro-stuff though, If I remember correctly again (don't have my builder up so can't say 100%)
There is a Necro path for either the Wizard or Mage that you can take as a school, and a few powers where you can summon some undead stuff.

Sorry to burst your bubble, I really wish they would add Necromancers back into 4e as mainline pc.      

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Ask your DM if you can have some non-combat skeletal servants or a gang of skeletons that are a swarm companion character. You can even set up the companion character such that it requires cadavers to spend its healing surges. (Luckily, PCs tend to leave plenty of dead in their wake.)

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | The Art of Pacing (Series) | Improvisation Guide | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character
Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!
Check Out My D&D Next Playtest Campaign: The Next World

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Hi, trying to make a Necromancer on Essentials, but my fav "Animate Dead" spell is missing; its there any version of this spell on 4ed core or essentials? Where are my skeletons? any help please : /

Any summoning or conjuration spell can be reflavored to involve animated corpses. But wholesale corpse resurrection is no longer part of the game. They probably couldn't find a good way to balance it. Go figure.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

The Cleric power "Servitude in Death" is one of the easiest ways to get a good necro power early on.  But yes, if you want to play a necromancer the goal would be to refluff and work from there.

The Seeker can be an interesting take on the necromancer.  They use spirits directly to do stuff with them as a class.  I've always liked their fluff.  I've never played one as controllers generally aren't my cup of tea, but they are fascinating.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
You could also look into themes like Fey Beast Tamer then reflavor it as a skeleton monstrosity. Also you could see with your DM if a ritual could be in order like Unseen Servant could be the spirit of the dead you've slain to work for you. Spells like Mirror Image can be made to be looking like you but when struck are just a pile of bones.
If you don't mind 3pp stuff, I think there was a Forgotten Heroes supplement from Goodman Games that had a necromancer class.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Multiclass shaman is also a good way to have a pet ghost follow you around the battle feild.

If your main goal is to create X number of permenant followers each day that is really, really  not in the normal expectations of 4E. 

Of course if that is what you want but not for combat your DM could just hand wave that you have some zombies and skelletons guarding you home base. 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
The people above have pointed out your options regarding necromancy, but I'd like to point out that technically there is an Animate Dead spell in 4e as well as options for using slain enemies.

Animate Dead is a Daily Class Power option for Level 9 Wizards, and the Warlock Lifestealer Path gives you "Life Sparks" for reducing enemies to 0; there's a Daily there (I believe 12th level utility) that allows you to use a Life Spark to temporarily (one turn/roundish) use a slain enemy as a servant.

There's a small but respectable selection of other necro/nether spells too, so you could probably cobble a functional Necromancer together. I don't know the Necromancer of other games/editions though, so I can't say whether or not it compares. 
If your DM allows it, there's also this fanmade Necromancer class.

shadow4e.wikidot.com/necromancer-c
If you don't mind 3pp stuff, I think there was a Forgotten Heroes supplement from Goodman Games that had a necromancer class.

No problem with 3pp stuff, I'll take a look at it, Thanks :D
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
If your DM allows it, there's also this fanmade Necromancer class.

shadow4e.wikidot.com/necromancer-c

I'll check that, DM allowed me to look for options, Thank you :D
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
The people above have pointed out your options regarding necromancy, but I'd like to point out that technically there is an Animate Dead spell in 4e as well as options for using slain enemies.

Animate Dead is a Daily Class Power option for Level 9 Wizards, and the Warlock Lifestealer Path gives you "Life Sparks" for reducing enemies to 0; there's a Daily there (I believe 12th level utility) that allows you to use a Life Spark to temporarily (one turn/roundish) use a slain enemy as a servant.

There's a small but respectable selection of other necro/nether spells too, so you could probably cobble a functional Necromancer together. I don't know the Necromancer of other games/editions though, so I can't say whether or not it compares. 

Great!, this seems good and balanced, which is the concern of the DM. Thank you!
I am Red/White
I am Red/White

Great!, this seems good and balanced, which is the concern of the DM. Thank you!

You're welcome! Just remember to pick up the Pact Initiate feat for access to the Paragon Path, and consider being a Tiefling, they're great for both classes. Have fun working it all out!
Heroes of shadow has some necromancy options,including a skeletal soldier.

You can also RP things into more necro friendly stuff. For example, unseen servant ritual, you summon a ghost. I changed my Acid Arrow into Acid Sparrow. I release a swarm of undead sparrows that are filled with acid. Think flying banelings. Tensirs floating disc, maybe instead of a floating disc, you animate a skeletal mule to carry your things.