Mental Imbalance / Risk keyword

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mental Imbalance -
Sorcery
Target opponent may put a permanent card from their hand onto the battlefield. Then that player discards their hand.

I like how this card can go horribly wrong. It would be great for 'Adrenaline Timmy' who likes to live on the edge.
I wonder if there has been a set specifically created for that player sub-archetype? If it would have this card, people need something good to get out with it, but they don't want their hands full of high cost spells unless there was some other, adrenaline-fueled way of getting them out - that gave me the idea for this mechanic (which has probably been done before).

Creature - Wurm (U)
Risk (You may cast this spell for its risk cost. If you do, flip a coin when it enters the battlefield. If you lose the flip, sacrifice it.)
7/7
HUnted Wumpus is kinda similar. Or Show and Tell, but if you're casting show and tell you're definitely doing something degenerate so not really.

I really like Imbalance.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Risk could be fun with dead Mickey.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Risk seems interesting, but as Bay pointed out, would likely be played in such a way as to amount to cheating on the potential downside.
Already what I do with Mulldrifter.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
If Johnny enjoys messing with this Timmy card, that's a good thing. You want to appeal to multiple audiences and have different ways of playing things. YmtC is unsurprisingly full of Johnnies, but combos are only really a problem when Spike starts doing degenerate things (and I don't think he would bother considering these don't have awesome ETB effects like evoke creatures).
Mental Imbalance feels too strong against control decks. I dunno, would require playtesting.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Both effects feel red, the risk more than the first, though Mental Imbalance is also partially black.
But thats just me, I'm always looking for red stuffs.

Anyway, I don't really like Mental Imbalance. It sort of seems overpowered and randomly hosing instants/sorceries. At least let me cast any spell I want, not just permanents. 
The wurm could be red if it was a one off card but as a keyword in a set it would be in more than one color, even colors that don't flip coins as often.

If I let them cast a spell instead, it wouldn't let them choose to bring out a land if for some weird reason they wanted to. But I guess it could make the card even more disastrous, so thats a reasonable suggestion. 
I'm not sure the mechanic for Risk would be something that could fill enough cards to warrant keywording it.  Cards like that tend not to test well with the majority of players.

For Imbalance, I agree with what TheKazu said, in part.  Letting them get a single card, no matter the type, seems more interesting.
making it any spell lets them respond with Wit's End. and that's adowable.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
So,

Mental Imbalance - 2bb
Sorcery
Target opponent may cast a nonland card from their hand without paying its mana cost. Then that player discards their hand.

The spell goes on the stack in the middle of the resolution of imbalance, then imbalance finishes resolving and they discard their hand, and then their spell resolves. So if it's a card draw spell like Enter the Infinite, they'll just refill their hand. Cool
spending four mana and getting nothing out of it doesn't sound very fun

IMAGE(http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BpJDyjvASWg/T3Re4LPWi8I/AAAAAAAAAbs/qyiXI3XaCj0/s1600/K-ON+Snapshot+Yui+cry.jpg)
As I understand the rules, only the first sentence is optional. The second sentence happens whether or not they chose to cast a card.
spending four mana and getting nothing out of it doesn't sound very fun

That's sort of it. It's unfun or broken. That's kinda the point.
139359831 wrote:
a lot of players don't like coin flips. there are certainly some that do, and making coin flip cards for them is a good thing, but making them strong or prolific enough to force their way into tournaments is going to piss a lot of people off.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
a lot of players don't like coin flips. there are certainly some that do, and making coin flip cards for them is a good thing, but making them strong or prolific enough to force their way into tournaments is going to piss a lot of people off.

You'll find coinflips are particularly bad in limited; they feel like "This could've been this."
139359831 wrote: